2.5 M Liquid Fuel Tanks

Hey could you guys just throw in a 2.5 m Liquid fuel tank. Nuclear engines running only on liquid fuel messed up the usefulness of a lot of my interplanetary mother-ships. I would just like to see a 2.5 m liquid fuel tank or the ability to fill up the oxidizer space with more liquid fuel in the existing parts. Thank you. -PBWBPBQOyZ.jpg

Yeah I go back and forth on this one. I think what I'd really like to see are some low dry-weight spherical tanks with low heat and crash tolerance for vacuum vessels and tweakable tanks that can be set to LF, O, or both. If they did that a bunch of redundant parts could be merged, with simple decal expressions so you could see what was what. 

I support this too, and this is one of the few things I use Tweakscale for.  I too am currently setting up a nuclear-engined interplanetary ship (with a nuclear-engined lander carrying a large re-dockable rover), and my first draft used the standard LFO tanks.  Then I thought "there has to be a better way" and decided to get Tweakscale.  It works great with the LV-N engines too, my current "final" design has a main 5m LF tank (over 28,000 LF)) with 3 3.75m LV-N engines attached with modular girder segments.  The fully-loaded ship+lander has a DV of over 7,000 and an intitial TWR of .53.

8 hours ago, rocketbuilder said:

Use porkjets stock fuel switch mod that lets you chose if you want LFO, LF, or just O.

Thank you, I won't even need to redo my designs with this. I think this will work very well in the meantime. (I probably could make them better anyway though.)

Edited by Paperback Writer

48 minutes ago, Paperback Writer said:

Thank you, I won't even need to redo my designs with this. I think this will work very well in the meantime. (I probably could make them better anyway though.)

Don't use Stock Fuel Switch.  It's based on Firespitter FSFuelSwitch which is broken.  It won't keep your settings for the tanks.

I just do it the following method:

Add any part for the root, then add fuel tank you wish to have in LF only option.

Open craft file, set the fuel tank's oxidizer amount to 0, and add the amount of oxy you removed to the liquidfuel level (so a FLT-800 would have originally 360 LF, and 440 OX, should then read 800 LF, 0 OX).

Then just save that fuel tank as a subassembly for future use. 

If you really want to, you can even "cheat" by adding more fuel then there was originally, but myself i dont like that so i make sure to keep the same mass fraction of every tank.  You can even do this to other tanks, such as set a xenon tank to have LFO or whatnot.  Myself, ive started using the lerge xenon tank, and keeping the same fuel dry mass ratio, i calculated that it can fit 660 units of LF or O total for its dry mass.  Makes a nice alternative to clipping 30 or so FLT-100s inside each other for those super compact interplanetary SSTO starfighters with 8000dV in LKO i like to make.  Technically this is "cheating", but since i design for looks, and shove whatever i need the craft to accomplish the task internally, ive stopped caring about part clipping, even fuel tank clipping, hell, its sci-fi, i just make stuff have good armor and good firepower and minimize part counts all in a design that i feel looks cool.

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.