Para-Sci Applied Sciences Division (Temporarily Closed)

PARA-SCI APPLIED SCIENCES DIVISION
In other words, a repository of all craft I have created that I have deemed worthy to share with the public. At present all ships use exclusively stock parts. Some aesthetic-only clipping of batteries, Science instruments, and fuel tanks to a minor degree is involved, but no moving parts are clipped and I've done my best not to "abuse" part clipping to create overpowered fuel tanks, etc. (Essentially I've preserved the "intended" fuel volume using nose cones or fuselage parts).

WARNING: All of the download links are broken due to Dropbox changing the way their public URLs work, and most of the craft below are outmoded anyway. This thread will remain open for archival purposes, but consider downloads closed until I can get around to publishing updated craft.

DESIGNED FOR 1.0+:

Spaceplane Hanger [1.2]

Fear not, I have not misspelled "hangar," but in fact have created a monstrous vehicle capable of dangling spaceplanes precariously above the ground as only a true hanger could!
Features a high lift range and weight capacity, and it sports an extra command pod enabling Kerbals to oversee lifting operations from within the safety of the vehicle.

NmbgYPB.pngb3SzG0im.jpgvf56hfKm.png

DOWNLOAD | Imgur Album

Portable Station Advanced and Portable Station Expansion Kit
Advanced version of the Portable Station. Less compact (about 30% longer), but with several new features, including pre-packaged ISRU mining bot, survey probe, and Science probe; detachable drive stage with probe core and RTG for self-retrieval; upgraded fuel and Ore storage; and expansion capability with the accompanying Expansion Kit.
Ga1pguM.png9FVeX29.pngFzRztQbm.png
The Expansion Kit is unable to stow within a Mk3 cargo bay, but can be easily packed in a Size 3 fairing, can be attached to the station and carried along before final deployment, and like the station itself is subassembly-friendly with a large docking port as the root. It features six ring segments, which with the space tug included on the station can be assembled into a habitation ring; several extra docking ports; and auxiliary storage for LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, MonoPropellant, XenonGas, and ElectricCharge.
Download Portable Station Advanced | Download Portable Station Expansion Kit

Ore Bot Tiny Edition
Extra-compact lander designed to work in tandem with the Portable Station, landing on a small object such as Minmus or the Mun, harvesting Ore, and bringing it to the station for processing. Equipped with four RTGs enabling it to mine overnight and in places far from the Sun such as on Jool's moons. Also capable of stowing within a single short Mk3 cargo bay. With a total delta-V of over 1200 m/s, potentially capable of transporting Ore between bodies such as Jool's moons.
Also subassembly-ready with the junior docking port as the root - just stick it in the Subassemblies folder.
xvF1Fqz.png
Download

Portable Base
What's better than a Mun base? A Mun base IN A TEWB! Base-a-doochous!
This is a complete surface base, including an ISRU drill and refinery, Science lab, housing for up to 12 Kerbals, and a rover and skycrane for self-assembly, all designed to stow within a Mk3 cargo bay (a length of at least two long cargo bays, one standard cargo bay, and one short cargo bay is required). Also works for Minmus and any other objects smaller than the Mun.
NOTE: The skycrane must be refueled after delivering each component to the Mun's surface, which requires a separate fuel reserve. I recommend the Portable Station listed below.
C4M86gR.png
Instructions:

Spoiler

First park the portable base in a low orbit around the Mun or any smaller object (about 10km is suggested). Decouple the included skycrane, then for each of the four base sections, decouple the section and then use the skycrane's Klaw to tow it to the surface. Once landed, release the Klaw and fly the skycrane back to orbit. Refuel it at an orbiting installation of your choice, then rendezvous with the remaining components and repeat until all components are delivered. Finally, use the included rover to arrange and attach the base components in any configuration desired.
Illustrated instructions coming soon!

Download

Laythe Plane 3
Sleeker and better-performing than ever! An ultra-compact spaceplane designed to fly on and reach orbit around Laythe, capable of stowing within a Mk3 cargo bay. Carries one Kerbal and a full suite of scientific instruments (only the Science Jr. and Mystery Goo experiments have been omitted). Fuel contents have been tuned based on 1.0.5 aerodynamics for best performance. Features RCS, standard and junior docking ports, and probe core allowing remote operation (such as for rescue missions).
MThs4SC.png
Download

Kanoe 1.2
A teeny tiny boat for Kerbals to take for spins in watery locations. Approximate travel range is only about 500 meters (i.e. 250 round trip). Also includes a junior docking port to enable easy deployment and recovery. The Oscar-B tanks at the back are intended for flotation and thus should not be filled.
nQ6UaXy.png
Download

Portable Station
What's better than a space station? A space station... in a tewb!
This is a fully functional station designed to pack within a Mk3 cargo bay (a length of at least one long cargo bay plus one standard cargo bay is required). This is both the most compact and the most feature-rich edition yet, including an ISRU converter, three jumbo docking ports and six docking ports in each of the smaller two port sizes, and reserves of LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, Monopropellant, and XenonGas.
%281.0.4%29%20Portable%20Station%20small
Instructions | Download

SSTO Shuttle Mk1.2
The above shuttle has been improved using shock cone intakes and some mass and drag optimizations, allowing it to reach orbit with over 100m/s more delta-V left over and handle better on the way back down.
xyQY94s.png

Download

Spoiler

- Turn on SAS as desired and keep a light stick on takeoff to avoid a tail strike.
- Climb at 20-25 degrees; watch the right-click menu on either of the turbojets, and somewhere around 22km when its thrust starts to drop rapidly and the ship stops accelerating, stage to activate the nuclear engines.
- Adjust pitch between 20 and 45 degrees (based on best judgment) until apoapsis of around 60-65km is achieved
- Pitch down to between 15 degrees and horizontal (again pilot's judgment) and throttle down to fine-adjust apoapsis and raise it to the desired altitude. Orbits above 125km are untested and not guaranteed.
- Coast to near apoapsis, circularize, and proceed with mission.

Stackable Ion Probe
Ultra-compact stackable, reusable ion probe for orbital Science harvesting. Useful when carried aboard a mothership for missions to multiple objects, such as the Jool system. Total delta-V estimated at 4600m/s; capable of burns up to approximately 300m/s at a time before recharging. Not recommended for trips beyond Jool's orbit (i.e. Eeloo) due to solar panel constraints.
%281.0.5%29%20Stackable%20Ion%20Probe.pn
Download

Ore Bot 2.1
Compact lander designed to work in tandem with the Portable Station, landing on a small object such as Minmus, harvesting Ore, and bringing it to the station for processing. Equipped with a large number of RTGs enabling it to mine overnight and in places far from the Sun such as on Jool's moons. Also capable of stowing within a single standard-length Mk3 cargo bay.
2Mydb54.png
Download

Mako Replica
The Applied Sciences Division's first replica - the "Mako" all-terrain vehicle from Mass Effect. Like the original, it features an overdesigned suspension, powerful jump jets capable of ascending over 300 meters in a single bound (Note: jumps over 5 meters are ill-advised as the suspension is partially composed of batteries that will explode on impact), seating for four, and a working cannon (only one shot though).
idH6lK6.png
Download

Edited by problemecium
Broken link disclaimer.

Bump for the Applied Sciences Division's newest product, the Ore Bot Tiny Edition!
xvF1Fqz.png
An extra-compact uncrewed lander for harvesting Ore and bringing it to a station for processing. See OP for details and download link.

Edited by parameciumkid
It's not as clippy as it looks, honest!

Another bump for the Applied Sciences Division's newest product, the Portable Station Advanced and its accompanying Expansion Kit:
FzRztQbl.png
This is an advanced edition of the Portable Station, which is less compact but more feature-rich, with several included ancillary probes, an expansion kit, and other upgrades. Details and download link in OP.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what it's doing in a new tab (it doesn't for me, but I did customize the tab settings), but since it's a direct link to the .craft file, your browser is likely recognizing it as a text format and displaying it as such. Just save the page (Ctrl+S probably) as a .craft, or right-click the link and "Save link as..."

• 8 months later...

The Applied Sciences division is excited to announce its newest (and possibly most horrifying) product, the Spaceplane Hanger!

Fear not, I have not misspelled "hangar," but in fact have created a monstrous vehicle capable of dangling spaceplanes precariously above the ground as only a true hanger could:

NmbgYPB.png

The Spaceplane Hanger features a high lift range and weight capacity, and it sports an extra command pod enabling Kerbals to oversee lifting operations from within the safety of the vehicle:

b3SzG0im.jpgvf56hfKm.png

DOWNLOAD | Imgur Album

On 4/12/2015 at 3:46 AM, parameciumkid said:

Portable Station Advanced and Portable Station Expansion Kit
Advanced version of the Portable Station. Less compact (about 30% longer), but with several new features, including pre-packaged ISRU mining bot, survey probe, and Science probe; detachable drive stage with probe core and RTG for self-retrieval; upgraded fuel and Ore storage; and expansion capability with the accompanying Expansion Kit.
Ga1pguM.png9FVeX29.pngFzRztQbm.png
The Expansion Kit is unable to stow within a Mk3 cargo bay, but can be easily packed in a Size 3 fairing, can be attached to the station and carried along before final deployment, and like the station itself is subassembly-friendly with a large docking port as the root. It features six ring segments, which with the space tug included on the station can be assembled into a habitation ring; several extra docking ports; and auxiliary storage for LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, MonoPropellant, XenonGas, and ElectricCharge.
Download Portable Station Advanced | Download Portable Station Expansion Kit

That stashed expansion kit is just genius! I wonder how much time you spent adjusting the parts to obtain that effect.

Some of this stuff is awesome, love it.

Do have a question, how easy is it to get say the Ion probe to disconnect, I always find it's ridiculously annoying to try to detach things from the Jr dock points, unless you action key it, which even if you run the mod to rebind in the field, isn't always easy to click them.

On the side, given your seemingly ingenius building skills, interested in the challenge I posted for a mk3 passenger spaceplane? The emphasis was for passenger and interplanetary flight, over cargo capacity, which would still be just high enough to haul along a few ion probes or ore bots along with 20+ new Kerbals.

I've never had trouble with the junior docking ports. Sure, they're tiny and hence hard to click on a large spacecraft, but anything can be tiny if the craft is large enough, and likewise even a junior docking port isn't such a small target when the whole probe is smaller than a Mk1 pod ;P

I'll have a look at the challenge and get back to you on it. I do confess that Mk3 spaceplanes remain a weak point of mine xD

DISCLAIMER: As the observant might have noted, the most recent craft says "[1.2]" next to it, indicating it was made in the 1.2 prerelease. For some reason I only just the other day clued in that it'd be wise to mark the craft versions in the post.
While I'm getting around to reorganizing the catalog again (ugh) and adding version numbers to the rest of the ships, consider nothing below the Spaceplane Hanger to have any sort of warranty or guarantee of function in the 1.2 prerelease (particularly because none of them are designed with CommNet in mind). Also I advise against attempting to load the Spaceplane Hanger or any newer ships in any KSP version older than the 1.2 prerelease. :wink:

Edited by parameciumkid
le disclaimer

• 6 months later...

For the moment. All of the links are broken due to Dropbox changing the way their public URLs work without notifying me. It would take some time to go through and restore all of them, and many of these are not compatible with the current versions of KSP, so I might as well rebuild the catalog from the ground up. Thus for the time being the Applied Sciences Division is closed for business.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.