The Kraken Program

This is a reboot of the original Kraken Program thread, which was deleted by the Great Forum Migration because of the removal of the Rocket Builders, where it was located. The focus of the thread is the same; studying and developing methods to harness the Kraken.

Primary Goals:
Identify new methods of harnessing the Kraken
Categorize the different kinds of Kraken Drives, and understand the fundamentals behind them
Test pre-1.0 Kraken Drives and determine if they are still funtional
Achieve speeds of 10c
Increase the reliability of Kraken Drives
Have fun crashing games and corrupting saves!

Kraken Tamers
Laythe Dweller
EladDV
Frozen_Heart
Rune
CliftonM
Majorjim
Lago
kmMango
quasarrgames
Stevie The Crusher
Tw1
inigma
322997am

Identified Kraken Drives

The Pusher Drive

The Pusher Kraken drive works by using a moving part such as landing gear or gear bays to push against another part of the ship. This results in phantom forces causing the ship to accelerate dramatically, and sometimes results in unplanned rapid disassembly. The Pusher Drive has 2 modes, which Kraken experts believe have something to do with the Krakensbane, which resolved a bug in the game's calculations early on. Mode 1 is generally called "Surface Mode," and the Kraken drive usually produces a milder thrust. This mode is the defualt mode at launch, as it occurs when the ship's velocity is less than 800 m/s and is below 60 km altitude. The other mode, Mode 2, is called "Orbit Mode." The drive enters this mode when the ship is at a velocity over 800 m/s and is above 60 km. This results in high phantom forces, and accelerations have been measured as high as 22 G. If the "pusher" is misaligned, then it can result in a large debris field. Likewise, if the "plate"  is clipped partway through another part, this can result in extreme spinning and maniacal laughter from Jeb. However, research suggests that multiple clipped plates can result in higher acceleration.

It still works in 1.0.x, although it is less reliable.

Examples:
EladDV's Pusher Drive: http://imgur.com/a/7Mvir  |  Download
Quasarrgames' Pusher Drive:

rtGbyWw.png

A table made by EladDV

CsPmNEI.png

The Magnetic Repulsion Drive

The MR Drive works by setting up a detached docking port that is wedged in the ship opposite another docking port attached to the ship. A notable property that has been observed is that it only produces thrust when marked as "landed" by the game. The principle behind it has largely been unexplored, as only one example exists (I can't find it after the Great Forum Migration). It has been theorized that it is powered by interactions between the magnetic locking system in the two ports, but this fails to explain why it only works while "landed."

Much about this drive is unknown, so it would be appreciated if someone were to make a replica.
Here is the thread where it was first discovered (credit to selfish_meme):
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117951-subject-change-docking-port-magnetic-kraken-drive/&page=1

The Ladder Drive

The Ladder Drive produces thrust when a Kerbal on EVA climbs a ladder, but is obstructed by something on the same ship. This setup often requires a "cage" to hold the Kerbal, making it unsuitable to carry said Kerbal somewhere unless the crew is housed in a seperate crew chamber. This drive is the easiest to set up, and usually requires a low part count.

This still works in 1.0, although it has less thrust.

Examples:
Tw1's
Eve SSTO

Eventually I plan to have examples of each kind of K-Drive, and I also want to compile much more data on their inner workings. More data is needed for a table showing parameters for each Kraken Drive. I need others to join me in researching and building Kraken Drives, so post if you want to help! If you know any examples of new Kraken Drives, please post them here.

Edited by Laythe Dweller

i have conducted a few tests in the earlier days of 1.0.5 and sadly the pusher design is once again yet farther away from our reach (at least in orbit mode). while on ground mode i was able to produce plate oscillations and sideways force but once in orbit mode the legs cant take the force 

6 minutes ago, EladDv said:

i have conducted a few tests in the earlier days of 1.0.5 and sadly the pusher design is once again yet farther away from our reach (at least in orbit mode). while on ground mode i was able to produce plate oscillations and sideways force but once in orbit mode the legs cant take the force 

Alright, I'll add that to the OP. It's a shame, as that was the main Kraken Drive back in the day of pre-1.0...

I have a few pushers that still work. Most are other people's designs, though, and I can't remember who made them.

I have a 2.5m one that gives accelerations of 20 g's or more in orbit, but is extremely unstable.

I also have a more stable 1.25 m design that produces 9 g's, and an extremely stable 1.25 m that gives 2 g's.

As the original creator of the K-Drive count me in. I've played around with designs a bit in 1.0.5 and its clear that the phenomenon still exists, as I can get them working for a few seconds. However the new joint system in 0.23.5 is too tough for the landing legs and just causes them to fail almost instantly. Landing gear don't seem to work in the same way. I'm going to try airbrakes next. 

Not sure if this qualifies, but you can get infinite liquid fuel for jet engines by placing a tank above and below a Sci jr.  Known bug, been playing with it a little.  Even works with rapiers in closed cycle, but you still have to carry ox for them.

Edit: also this is the link to the magnet drive http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117951-subject-change-docking-port-magnetic-kraken-drive/&page=1

Edited by Jetski

5 hours ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Do you have pictures and a download link? I want to link examples to the OP.

I picked them up back before 0.23.5, so I can't remember where I got them. I think they were all on the old Tyrene Technology Solutions thread. Also, I am AFKSP for the moment. 

The 2.5 meter one is the drive on Rune's old Far Star ship. The download link on Tyrene should still work.

10 hours ago, kmMango said:

I picked them up back before 0.23.5, so I can't remember where I got them. I think they were all on the old Tyrene Technology Solutions thread. Also, I am AFKSP for the moment. 

The 2.5 meter one is the drive on Rune's old Far Star ship. The download link on Tyrene should still work.

They don't work anymore though right? The pusher designs I mean.

Edited by Majorjim

Man, the memories. The time around the discovery of functional K-Drives was awesome! I hope they can still be built, no matter how glitchy. IIRC, the one on the Far Star only engaged the right way about one time in twenty. :blush:

Rune. The power of kraken propels you!

There's a decoupled thruster method to get your designs up to speed. You take a decupler and attack it that the arrows are facing away from cubic octagonal strut.

also, I'm in

Edited by 322997am

2 hours ago, 322997am said:

There's a decoupled thruster method to get your designs up to speed. You take a decupler and attack it that the arrows are facing away from cubic octagonal strut.

That was confirmed to only work in 0.23.5.

@CliftonM Do you think that fits into the pusher classification or K-Drives, or is it a new category? And how in the great seas of Laythe did you do that?! :confused:

@kmMango Thanks!

Thanks for all of the support guys!

EDIT: I added you guys to the "Kraken Tamers" list :D

Edited by Laythe Dweller

4 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

That was confirmed to only work in 0.23.5.

@CliftonM Do you think that fits into the pusher classification or K-Drives, or is it a new category?

Thanks for all of the support guys!

I don't think it's a K-Drive, but it fits with the topic.  I'm still working on some stuff.  The Kerbal cage method does not work with 1.0.x.

At least it isn't any good.

10 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I don't think it's a K-Drive, but it fits with the topic.  I'm still working on some stuff.  The Kerbal cage method does not work with 1.0.x.

At least it isn't any good.

How exactly did you get the Kerbal to glitch inside the ship?

11 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

How exactly did you get the Kerbal to glitch inside the ship?

you warp until he is in there.  Rails warp disables colliders.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Well, idk if this is really a kraken drive, but the Narrow-Band scanners can make a "motor" with no energy needed... Obviously doesnt work in space, but you can make some cool rovers :P

How do you make it? Any examples? Do you mean like using the rotating part as a wheel? I just got an idea for a crazy spinner Kraken drive... Gotta test them all!

This is awesome; I have so many more examples of the Kraken at work, but categorizing each one is really hard when there is practically no information out there.

For Science!

On December 7, 2015 at 11:04:57 AM, Majorjim said:

They don't work anymore though right? The pusher designs I mean.

Last I checked, as of 1.0.2  they worked quite well.

I repositioned the legs on the 2.5 m drive slightly. No specifics, just trial and error. I got it to be pretty reliable, though it did have a tendency to want to flip around. Just bolt on a few reaction wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.