Another Shot at the Jool-ISRU-5 (With a Mini tour to Duna and Dres)

SpaceplaneAddict

2 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

*Sniffle Sniffle*

Well, I guess this Jool-5 isn't prestigious enough to be looked at. :( 

New episode is on the way (Though really, I'll get in some music for the one after this.)

Maybe because it says Jool-5 but you haven't been to Jool yet?  But hey, even my grand tour got a total of 3 responses.  Looking good so far, it's a solid minimalist ISRU design.  You might get more views if your videos were shorter, you can cut out a lot of the map view stuff or fast forward boring parts.  Why did you put the extra Vectors on the outsides instead of below the tanks?  With their high crash tolerance you could have your cake and eat it too with regards to landing gear.

7 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

Maybe because it says Jool-5 but you haven't been to Jool yet?  But hey, even my grand tour got a total of 3 responses.  Looking good so far, it's a solid minimalist ISRU design.  You might get more views if your videos were shorter, you can cut out a lot of the map view stuff or fast forward boring parts.  Why did you put the extra Vectors on the outsides instead of below the tanks?  With their high crash tolerance you could have your cake and eat it too with regards to landing gear.

Well, currently, I'm refueling at Dres, with Jool as my next target. Thanks, the external tanks idea came from @astrobond, and really, it was only minimal 'cause I was impatient. This was long overdue. 

Also, fourfa kind of already explained, the tanks are able to distribute the weight better than the narrow engines, though it would be nice to survive a rough landing.Yeah, I really lack patience to edit my vids, I'll do that for the Dres Orbit and transfer to Jool.

ETA of 30mins or so for Dres landing.

After that....

I'm coming for ya, Jool.

5 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

*Sniffle Sniffle*

Well, I guess this Jool-5 isn't prestigious enough to be looked at. :( 

New episode is on the way (Though really, I'll get in some music for the one after this.)

Well, since you're wondering...

I don't think your Jool-5 isn't getting attention because it's not "prestigious" (In fact, I find your craft aesthetically pleasing. Its simple, clean, and interesting.). Rather, the way you are presenting it is the problem.

I don't want to sound rude, and mean no offence, but your videos are un-watchable. For one, they don't have any sound or music, and as a result, they are 'uncomfortable' to watch because it feels like there should be sound there, but there isn't.

Secondly, vast sections of the videos contain little to no interesting events. I'm talking about all the time-warping, map checking, slow descents, quick-loading, etc. While it may be important for you to do, people don't want to see you fiddling with maneuver nodes for 30+ seconds at a time. So, you really need to speed up the video for these segments, or just cut it out entirely. Overall, you want your video to have a nice pace. Cut out the unimportant events, and don't spend too long on one particular event, but don't skim through them too quickly either. 

Thirdly, you really need better camera work. I know, it is VERY hard to not rotate the camera everywhere to check on your ship, but this kind of camera work is disorienting for the viewers, especially if you speed it up in editing. You really need to find a good camera angle to show off your craft and then stick to it. To see what I mean, check out Hazardish or Overfloater's videos for inspiration.

Finally, get rid of the clutter! I can barely see your craft through all the mechjeb windows. I know you need to see this information, but you should display it in a less intrusive way. KER has a great, non intrusive HUD for orbital information that I highly recommend you try out. 

Well, that's all the advice I have to offer. Be sure to check out the previously mentioned Hazardish and Overfloater videos and study them. Make note of how much time they spend in the map view, their camera angles, the time spent on launches, time spent on time-warping, and so on. I believe they are a great examples and they helped me a lot while making my Jool-5 video (which is, by no means perfect. In fact, it has moments where the pacing is bad and camera angles are horrible).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.