Say Hello to The Rep Grand Group! [07/19/16 UPDATE!]

Endersmens

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Nice link. I see I'm on page 5, not too shabby. I'm also closing in on having my rep exceed my post count. :cool:

I'm pretty impressed that I made it in so soon. From what I've seen, most people in this group have significantly more posts than rep.

I guess that's because I'm not a prolific poster, and instead mainly post to screenshot-sharing threads rather than discussion threads.

Either way, I'm honored to make it to 1k.

I joined  the forum before it was upgraded to the current software, when rep was harder to come by. So my rep/post ratio was much lower when the conversion happened, around 0.25 IIRC.  I don't post a lot, and I'm generally a quiet person IRL, but when I have something to say or post, it's usually something good. 

It's been a long slog. 

37 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I joined  the forum before it was upgraded to the current software, when rep was harder to come by

Not to diminish your efforts, but perhaps to enhance them, but the old software made getting rep easier because you could get up to 5 per "like" instead of the constant 1 you get now. Though the "likes" seem to flow more freely with the new software, so perhaps it is easier now but just requires more people. Personally I got almost all of my rep on the old software (I think I was at 900 or so when the switch happened).

Good Lord, this thread brings back memories. I feel old and hobbly now.

I've never met some of the people getting to the 1k-point mark now, because I haven't been active on the Forum for a little while. But that's a good thing! It means that there's young blood coming in and making some awesome new stuff. Welcome to all the new members.

As for lack-of-updates, I'll PM Endersmens and see when he's next able to run the algorithm (I can definitely type up some friendly descriptions, and I'm sure others would be happy to join too). 'Twould be nice.

Edited by BagelRabbit

2 hours ago, magico13 said:

Not to diminish your efforts, but perhaps to enhance them, but the old software made getting rep easier because you could get up to 5 per "like" instead of the constant 1 you get now. Though the "likes" seem to flow more freely with the new software, so perhaps it is easier now but just requires more people. Personally I got almost all of my rep on the old software (I think I was at 900 or so when the switch happened).

It added up faster but it seemed to not be handed out as much, possibly because the system asked for (but did not require) a reason for the rep. These days it sometimes seems like rep is being handed out like candy on Hallowe'en. I know I've had a few posts where I'm thinking "I got a like for that why?" Of course, having said that, people will stop giving me likes altogether (please don't stop) :cool:

Maybe I've been too stingy handing out likes, I usually only hit the button when something resonates with me. I'm trying to like more posts these days. I've only hit my daily limit maybe 5 times, and the first time was only recently. 

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It added up faster but it seemed to not be handed out as much, possibly because the system asked for (but did not require) a reason for the rep. These days it sometimes seems like rep is being handed out like candy on Hallowe'en. I know I've had a few posts where I'm thinking "I got a like for that why?" Of course, having said that, people will stop giving me likes altogether (please don't stop) :cool:

Maybe I've been too stingy handing out likes, I usually only hit the button when something resonates with me. I'm trying to like more posts these days. I've only hit my daily limit maybe 5 times, and the first time was only recently. 

I give less than I did with the old system. Being able to leave a comment meant I could rep a well made argument even if I disagreed with it, but now it would be taken as agreement with the argument itself. The easier public visibility of what I rep has had a cooling effect for me too (and I suspect the same is true for the other mods), it is a bit unbecoming to be seen endorsing posts about contentious topics no matter how much I might agree. 

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I give less than I did with the old system. Being able to leave a comment meant I could rep a well made argument even if I disagreed with it, but now it would be taken as agreement with the argument itself. The easier public visibility of what I rep has had a cooling effect for me too (and I suspect the same is true for the other mods), it is a bit unbecoming to be seen endorsing posts about contentious topics no matter how much I might agree. 

Well, I've cooled to a point.

I'm also on a different forum that still uses VB. I've noticed that there seems to be less repping going on there, and more comments in the thread. I'm wondering if we might be getting nostalgic for something that only existed in our collective memory.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

I don't know... I've got mixed feelings about the new rep system.

I think many of us have! Red has a point that the visibility of a like is not always something desirable for a moderator.

I'm not sure how I would handle it if I became a moderator. Quite possibly I'd feel the need to reply to the post kinda like this:

1 hour ago, monstah said:

I think many of us have! Red has a point that the visibility of a like is not always something desirable for a moderator.

-----

I "liked" your post because you make a valid point, although I may or may not agree with it...

I dunno... Just sayin' But I don't think there's any fear for me becoming a moderator. (I'm not sure if I would accept it even if I were asked. I have too much fun being a pain to the moderators such as @Red Iron Crown, @monstah, and the newbie, @Dman979. If I became a moderator, they'd expect me to behave.)

However, I may start doing this as a means to clarify why I am "liking" a post...

Edited by adsii1970

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Does anyone know if the list is still maintained? I'm just curious - not because I feel left out, but because it was a pretty neat thing to follow.

@Endersmens has some pretty serious IRL stuff going on (he updated a few pages back) so it's kind of in hiatus. I've been considering trying to write up a website where descriptions could be crowdsourced by other members and the list would be updated daily (I'd also like to track rep over time, but that approaches a "tracking" line that I'm not sure I want to cross), but that's nothing more than an idea in my head at the moment. That and I'm bad at making websites.

I've always thought it was a little silly that the descriptions were made by a single person, crowdsourcing them makes more sense to me.

Edited by magico13

On 3/5/2017 at 4:59 PM, munlander1 said:

This is from his page:

Hide contents

Have an update on my life:

Both of my parents are currently unemployed, as am I. 

Both of my parents do not have a house or residence, and neither do I or my siblings.

My dad is again struggling with his Bipolar disorder.

I'm trying desperately to catch up in my online college courses, which is hard cause we're staying with my grandma who has no internet, so I have to go to my Aunt's house to use her internet to do school on my desktop. It's not going well.

You could say I'm being stretched a little thin here. Which isn't good considering I can already barely hold on 130lbs as an almost 19 year old guy.

I do sincerely apologize that my absence from this forums means there's been no updates to this thread, the Rep Grand Group, or my fan fiction either. This is my first post since last year, as it's pretty much the first time I've been here. I cannot say that I'll be on here again soon.

With the sincerest of apologies, I bid you all farewell until the next time I'm on here. Congratulations to those of you who became eagles since my last visit, and to those still working towards it I encourage you to stay with it. It will be worth it.

See you guys around. *poof*

Got a question... is there a way we could set up a "go fund me" page or something to just be a help to him? He's one of us, he's family...

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

@Endersmens has some pretty serious IRL stuff going on (he updated a few pages back) so it's kind of in hiatus. I've been considering trying to write up a website where descriptions could be crowdsourced by other members and the list would be updated daily (I'd also like to track rep over time, but that approaches a "tracking" line that I'm not sure I want to cross), but that's nothing more than an idea in my head at the moment. That and I'm bad at making websites.

I've always thought it was a little silly that the descriptions were made by a single person, crowdsourcing them makes more sense to me.

I've spoken to @Endersmens before and he's agreed he'll hand over the list to me once he had gathered a few things like the program used for it, but that was back in February. I just sent him a follow up earlier this month so...

I ran the Rocket Builders Compilation Redux thread for nearly a year after @zekes abandoned it so I've got experience with this sort of thing anyway.

26 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I've spoken to @Endersmens before and he's agreed he'll hand over the list to me once he had gathered a few things like the program used for it, but that was back in February. I just sent him a follow up earlier this month so...

I ran the Rocket Builders Compilation Redux thread for nearly a year after @zekes abandoned it so I've got experience with this sort of thing anyway.

Here's the program, but without a descriptions file. I posted this a whiles back. It's just a python2 script and I can walk you through it if you'd like (it's been a while so I don't remember all the features and quirks off the top of my head).

https://github.com/magico13/LightGreenGroupUpdater

Edited by magico13

2 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Here's the program, but without a descriptions file. I posted this a whiles back. It's just a python2 script and I can walk you through it if you'd like (it's been a while so I don't remember all the features and quirks off the top of my head).

https://github.com/magico13/LightGreenGroupUpdater

Hm... might just do it off the top of my my head as the time it'll take to learn and master is the time I could've had it finished.

28 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Hm... might just do it off the top of my my head as the time it'll take to learn and master is the time I could've had it finished.

Are you going to do it by hand or write a program to do it? I really don't recommend doing it by hand since it quickly becomes unmaintainable. Once isn't so hard, but fixing the order later is a pain. That script only requires you to write the descriptions and does everything else for you, including formatting. If you send me the descriptions in any format you'd like I can set them up for the script and send the whole formatted list back with the descriptions file set up correctly.

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

Are you going to do it by hand or write a program to do it? I really don't recommend doing it by hand since it quickly becomes unmaintainable. Once isn't so hard, but fixing the order later is a pain. That script only requires you to write the descriptions and does everything else for you, including formatting. If you send me the descriptions in any format you'd like I can set them up for the script and send the whole formatted list back with the descriptions file set up correctly.

I'd rather a rewritten program if I must. But if I do take it over I intend to have more than just names and descriptions. I'd like profile links, maybe their avatars, and something to mention their post count (maybe a post to rep ratio too?).

Simply if I take it over I want to improve on the idea. More work yes, but it's all about making the final product that much better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.