Say Hello to The Rep Grand Group! [07/19/16 UPDATE!]

Endersmens

6 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

BTW: How in the world did you get 11k? Like, that's the #1 goal of everyone ever!

I'm not really sure. I was active in the whole "Save the ROUND-8" movement a while back, and before that I ran a really popular challenge involving a jump ramp on Minmus. So I guess I must have gotten a few thousand rep for each of those posts, yeah. I haven't been keeping track.

Edited by Kuzzter

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

I'm not really sure. I was active in the whole "Save the ROUND-8" movement a while back, and before that I ran a really popular challenge involving a jump ramp on Minmus. So I guess I must have gotten a few thousand rep for each of those posts, yeah. I haven't been keeping track.

DANG!!! Wait... A few THOUSAND?!!?!?!? Oh I wish I could have so much rep I could just shrug at 1k...

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@Kuzzter is being modest, as far as I can tell the lion's share of his rep is from his KSP-themed graphic novels, and rightly so as they are really quite good. (Unlike me, I got here through strong opinions, sarcasm and sheer volume.)

Quantity>Quality :D

Most of my rep comes from drawing, forum games, and memes on the BDB thread.

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@Kuzzter is being modest, as far as I can tell the lion's share of his rep is from his KSP-themed graphic novels, and rightly so as they are really quite good. (Unlike me, I got here through strong opinions, sarcasm and sheer volume.)

Agreed, @Kuzzter is hands down the best of us, and has earned all his rep the hard way.

As for Moderators with huge reps.... hmmmm  :huh:

(just kidding) :)

Edited by Just Jim

12 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

25 minutes ago, monstah said:

I've spent most if my likes on that since I've joined the forum :P 

I agree totally about @Kuzzter - the work he puts into his work really shines. A true master walks among us, and for once, I am NOT being sarcastic. He's also has rep for the encouragement he gives others on the "thread for struggling writers..." again, because he encourages others to try their hand at it and is never negative in his comments... he hasn't told me to quit yet!

*back into normal mode*

Yes, I have given Red Iron Crown and Snark lots of rep for simply - well, good sarcasm is a true art form. And let me just be nice and say that there are some members that give ample fodder for those of us in the sarcasm industry. @Red Iron Crown and @Snark are true masters at their craft!

13 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It may be difficult to believe this, but until this post I didn't know about @Kuzzter's graphic novels. I saw the threads, sure, but don't tend to go in for mission reports - even those with heavy storytelling. Just not my thing. But a graphic novel? I'm in.

I read all of Duna Ore Bust already and am going to start on Eve Order Zero soon. Great stuff, and well deserving of 5-digits of rep.

54 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

It may be difficult to believe this, but until this post I didn't know about @Kuzzter's graphic novels. I saw the threads, sure, but don't tend to go in for mission reports - even those with heavy storytelling. Just not my thing. But a graphic novel? I'm in.

I read all of Duna Ore Bust already and am going to start on Eve Order Zero soon. Great stuff, and well deserving of 5-digits of rep.

Oh man, there are a lot of good stories going in the fan works area, but if you really like graphic novels, another one you really should check out is @Parkaboy's Plan Kappa:

Edited by Just Jim

19 hours ago, Galileo said:

I think there is a point that you reach in rep, at least in my experience, that ANYTHING you post is guaranteed to get likes. I find it funny.   

I cracked 1k exactly 3 years after I joined the forum, at 1102 days, for an average .9 rep per day. Since then, I've received 60 rep in 6 days...

Wow, you guys are WAY too nice--I responded to @DarkOwl57 as I did because, well, he's writing fiction in Mission Reports, and he's read and repped my stuff there, and he's been on the "Thread for Writers", so if he's still asking "how did you get 11k rep" I don't really have a straight answer to give him :wink: 

And @5thHorseman, glad to have such a legendary personage as a new reader! I hope you read the Duna and Eve books in the order given by the Imgur links on the OPs of those threads, as there is some overlap between the end of the first book and the beginning of the second. It all gets straightened out eventually, and sorry for any confusion :)  Maybe we'll see you on the Jool Odyssey thread, which is reaching its Thrilling Conclusion!

And regarding @Red Iron Crown's truly modest statement on his own rep--you don't get nearly enough credit for your 'volume'. I have the luxury of posting what I want when I want to, while you have to spend your hours unglamorously moving threads around and reminding people to mind their manners, no doubt while receiving all kinds of hate PMs and attempts at amateur lawyering. I couldn't--no, I wouldn't do what I do here without you and the other mods doing what you do.

12 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Wow, you guys are WAY too nice--I responded to @DarkOwl57 as I did because, well, he's writing fiction in Mission Reports, and he's read and repped my stuff there, and he's been on the "Thread for Writers", so if he's still asking "how did you get 11k rep" I don't really have a straight answer to give him :wink:

I'm trying lol :wink:

Maybe one of our mods, such as @Red Iron Crown, needs to take up writing a "COPS" themed thread of all the stuff they do as a mod... I think it would be...the "fusion of entertainment and enlightenment"!

--- edited for clarity ---

Of course, I am kidding about this. Teaching at the university I do, and teaching on-line courses, I know of the garbage people post that I have to deal with in the course, I can only imagine what you all go through here because this is much more public access than my on line course forum.

Edited by adsii1970
Edited for clarity

34 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I couldn't--no, I wouldn't do what I do here without you and the other mods doing what you do.

Yeah, I couldn't agree with this more.

We may poke fun at the moderators now and then, but the truth is, it's really nice to know they've got our backs, and we really appreciate all they do to keep this forum one of the most friendly on the internet.

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Maybe one of our mods, such as @Red Iron Crown, needs to take up writing a "COPS" themed thread of all the stuff they do as a mod... I think it would be...the "fusion of entertainment and enlightenment"!

That might be amusing but we don't discuss individual moderation actions publicly for privacy reasons.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

That might be amusing but we don't discuss individual moderation actions publicly for privacy reasons.

It's kind of like Fight Club.  The first rule of being a moderator is...  :sealed:

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yes, I have given Red Iron Crown and Snark lots of rep for simply - well, good sarcasm is a true art form. And let me just be nice and say that there are some members that give ample fodder for those of us in the sarcasm industry. @Red Iron Crown and @Snark are true masters at their craft!

It's true, sarcasm can be a powerful force for the benefit of humankind cheap popularity.  Other sources of getting-lots-of-likes:

• Being a moderator.  It means you're in a position to help people, a lot.  People like that.  (And having the bully pulpit means there are some truly bodacious opportunities for sarcasm...)
  • Being a modder.  Write a helpful/popular mod, and the world beats a path to your door.

It's also the case that the number of "likes" a person gets can have very little correlation to their actual level of contribution to the community, or the degree to which they make the worlds a better place.

Somebody can make a single smart-aleck post or silly joke, and there's a positive deluge of "likes"... but on the other hand, I'll look at someone like @Thomas P., the sole proprietor of Kopernicus (the mod which makes essentially all planet packs possible; it's ModuleManager for the solar system), and I'll wonder, "how the dickens does a guy like that only have an average of 1.3 likes per post?  It ought to be ten times that!"  (I sometimes wonder what percentage of the users who have ever used a planet-pack mod have stopped by to drop a "like" or three on the Kopernicus thread.)

The answer, of course, is that unlike me, Thomas isn't a shameless adulation-hound, and just inconspicuously goes about his business of single-handedly carrying the weight of the entire planet-modding community on his shoulders.  (And generally getting torrents of complaints in the process.)

There are the highly visible people who get all the likes... and then there are the quiet-but-effective ones.  Fortunately, folks like Thomas in the latter category tend to have their heads screwed on straight and don't waste any time worrying about "popularity".  They just quietly get on with making hundreds of thousands of peoples' lives better, most of whom are unaware of the hidden hands that are tirelessly giving them all this cool stuff.

My hat's off to the quiet ones!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.