KSP Caveman Challenge 1.1

Almost done the 1.2 hard caveman challenge.  Another thread will be created for it, so we can share our new experiences with KSP 1.2 build.  The advanced tweakables are very useful.  For my playthrough I have avoid using most of them until I unlock the Advanced Construction node.  The auto strut is used only after unlock General Construction node.

Spoiler

I2w9vpR.png

NmOH5EM.png

The Mun science lander just had a rendezvous with a fuel tank delivery.  The plan is to land on Mun then another rendezvous to return the science vessel.  The contract is to explore Mun and return.  My first 1.2 mistake; did not incorporate a science container.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

Having seen that this thread is alive once again, I decided to do a 1.2 Caveman run on Moderate. I'm not done *quite* yet, but I did have one discovery I wanted to share.

Obviously, the science container is very useful, but you have to safely recover it for it to do you any good. Now, normally this is a problem, since you also need a probe core, and an antenna, and batteries, and a 1.25 m heatshield to protect it all, which all in all weighs more than one would like. However! I have devised a solution to this problem, which looks something like this:

PAVtD5p.png

The principle is simple-take a .625 m heatshield, put a science container on top of that, and a parachute on top of that. For maximum effect, remove 25-30 units of ablator (or more) from the heatshield and set the parachute deploy pressure to .75 and the deploy altitude to 500 (for time saving). Just remember to deploy the heatshield before decoupling.

It can survive Munar re-entry, at least, even if it enters the atmosphere in a tumble, but I wouldn't take too many chances with entry attitude. Aerodynamic stability is as fickle as it is dangerous if gotten wrong.

Now, it isn't perfect. Apparently, for the second "Explore the Moon" contract the thing you return has to be controllable. But as a science delivery method I think it beats strapping a 1.25 m heatshield to a conglomeration of a spacecraft and hoping for the best.

I think I'm going to call this the drop capsule. Of course, if anyone has a better name say it. I'm no good at this whole naming thing.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

3 hours ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

The Mun science lander just had a rendezvous with a fuel tank delivery.

Given that part-to-part fuel transfer isn't unlocked until the first R&D Building upgrade (and thus, is something that Cavemen just can't do), how exactly are you delivering the fuel? Has this changed in 1.2, or does 1.2 somehow make a workaround available?

(In a 1.1.3 Caveman attempt, I managed to create a Mun-lander capable of taking a Kerbal to Mun and returning them to Kerbin, by docking two separately launched sections of the lander in LKO. It was only after I made a 3rd, fuel-delivery launch and docked the tanker to the lander, that I learned I couldn't actually transfer the fuel. You can imagine how disappointed I was at this, after having successfully performed two rendezvous and docking maneuvers without the aid of patched conics! Closest I've ever come to rage-quit...)

Edited by JAFO

3 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I think I'm going to call this the drop capsule. Of course, if anyone has a better name say it. I'm no good at this whole naming thing.

How about the "Science Bomb". I like the idea of unguided science raining down all over Kerbin at high velocity.

Reminds me a little of this excellent recent post : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/150246-suicide-scientist/&do=findComment&comment=2810886

Too bad we can't get Sepratrons!

8 minutes ago, ManEatingApe said:

How about the "Science Bomb". I like the idea of unguided science raining down all over Kerbin at high velocity.

Well, it's certainly a better name than mine. Further investigation may indicate that the heat shield is superfluous-the part that seems to be in the most danger in this setup appears to be the parachute. That science canister must be made out of whatever Kerbal helmets are made of. Also, apparently it contains potatoes. It seems like someone in the R&D department has been reading the work of Andy Weir *ahem* Kerman.

19 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Now, it isn't perfect. Apparently, for the second "Explore the Moon" contract the thing you return has to be controllable.

Just found out last night.  I had attached fuel and a science container and figured since the science container landed with the probe it was considered a vessel.  Good thing I had the probe orbit Kerbin and I just sent a fuel/parachute/ablator package to dock with the lander.

I should start the 1.2 caveman thread right away.  I was waiting till after I finish my run

Minmus will be explored next. With rover wheels this should bring in quite a science haul.

17 hours ago, JAFO said:

Given that part-to-part fuel transfer isn't unlocked until the first R&D Building upgrade (and thus, is something that Cavemen just can't do), how exactly are you delivering the fuel?

Not transfer fuel just dock fuel tanks.  Currently just simple LKO rendezvous. 

16 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

Here is the lander docked with a fuel tank.  The probe on left will stay in orbit as Communication satellite. 

The fuel tanks on the lander are locked and fuel travels from the attached FLT-400 fuel tank via docking ports  The FLT-400 is discarded and makes a great impactor.

Stack mounting fuel tanks was possible in 1.1 but now fuel flow from side attached fuel tanks will work with less headaches.

16 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

That is a very good suggestion.  The Flea is much too bulky to lug around and could be overpowered for the task of the "Science Bomb".  Maybe the Flea and Hammer should come in an alternative 0.625 profile that is unlocked in another node.

6 hours ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

Here is the lander docked with a fuel tank.  The probe on left will stay in orbit as Communication satellite. 

I'm guessing there was supposed to be a picture included here? :wink::D

6 hours ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

That is a very good suggestion.  The Flea is much too bulky to lug around and could be overpowered for the task of the "Science Bomb".  Maybe the Flea and Hammer should come in an alternative 0.625 profile that is unlocked in another node.

During pre-release, when the request for a 0.625 heatshield was so rapidly granted by @RoverDude, several requests were made for a full range of 0.625 parts. Naturally, there wasn't time to complete an entire set, so the devs said nothing more about it. Hopefully, 1.3 will have them. Don't forget to (politely) nag the devs about it!

15 hours ago, JAFO said:

I'm guessing there was supposed to be a picture included here? :wink::D

During pre-release, when the request for a 0.625 heatshield was so rapidly granted by @RoverDude, several requests were made for a full range of 0.625 parts. Naturally, there wasn't time to complete an entire set, so the devs said nothing more about it. Hopefully, 1.3 will have them. Don't forget to (politely) nag the devs about it!

There was but Imgur has been acting up lately, even now I am trying to put together the Caveman Challenge 1.2 and still Imgur is over capacity error message.

That is very good news to hear about the 0.625 parts.

54 minutes ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

That is very good news to hear about the 0.625 parts.

My remarks should not be construed as meaning that the devs are actually intending to create them.. simply that they did, when requested, add one particular easy-to-include part, because it clearly made sense in light of the new Experiment Storage Unit. However, the creation of the heatshield did result in a slew of requests for other, similarly sized parts, and we know the devs were reading the discussion.. 

So.. hopefully..

Edited by JAFO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.