Setting up an airbrake/control surface

Hey,

I am trying to create a SpaceX like gridfin, but I am running into serious issues with its setup in Unity. I went through some old posts, but the information there didn't help me.

So, does anyone out there know how to set up an airbrake for 1.0.5?

And if we are at it, how to set up a control surface? I know there are two partmodules, for one ModuleAeroSurface for airbrakes and ModuleControlSurface for control surfaces, but where's the difference there?

I would be glad if anyone could help me! :)

I am very new to modding and so my information is to be triple checked. However I m working on 2 flying bodies and so I had to make flaps, airbrakes and several control surfaces.

Clearly for SpaceX grid fins the module to use is Aerosurface. It deploys only in one direction. And the other difference I noticed is that unfortunately the module AeroSurface doesn't include roll control but pitch and yaw should do the trick. I couldn t find a way to restrict modulecontrolsurface to deploy only in one direction.

I set up mine in Max with their deployment direction being along Y axis and they will rotate on X as shown below

KSP_Spoilers.gif

And the code is basically copied from the airbrakes and tweaked to my liking

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAeroSurface
		useInternalDragModel = True
		ignorePitch = True
        ignoreYaw = True
		ignoreRoll = True
		dragCoeff = 0.4
		deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.38
		ctrlSurfaceRange = 85
		ctrlRangeFactor = 0.2
		ctrlSurfaceArea = 1
		actuatorSpeed = 90
		transformName = A300_LeftWing_SpoilerA
		defaultActionGroup = Brakes
		liftingSurfaceCurve = SpeedBrake
	}

That s the basics I can tell without more specific question.

Hey, thanks for your reply! Actually, I just wanted to say that I've figured it out already!

Indeed, it seems that the rotating axis is X. Yes, unfortunately the ModuleAeroSurface thing is not working for roll, even though it says "roll: enabled" if you have a look at the right click ingame Air brake GUI.

I ended up with giving the stage roll control by adding a SAS, which requires intake air, so that you can't use the fins in vacuum.

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2015 at 5:47 AM, Nookos said:

I am very new to modding and so my information is to be triple checked. However I m working on 2 flying bodies and so I had to make flaps, airbrakes and several control surfaces.

Clearly for SpaceX grid fins the module to use is Aerosurface. It deploys only in one direction. And the other difference I noticed is that unfortunately the module AeroSurface doesn't include roll control but pitch and yaw should do the trick. I couldn t find a way to restrict modulecontrolsurface to deploy only in one direction.

I set up mine in Max with their deployment direction being along Y axis and they will rotate on X as shown below

KSP_Spoilers.gif

And the code is basically copied from the airbrakes and tweaked to my liking

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAeroSurface
		useInternalDragModel = True
		ignorePitch = True
        ignoreYaw = True
		ignoreRoll = True
		dragCoeff = 0.4
		deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.38
		ctrlSurfaceRange = 85
		ctrlRangeFactor = 0.2
		ctrlSurfaceArea = 1
		actuatorSpeed = 90
		transformName = A300_LeftWing_SpoilerA
		defaultActionGroup = Brakes
		liftingSurfaceCurve = SpeedBrake
	}

That s the basics I can tell without more specific question.

Do i need to set any hinge point or something like animation in 3dmax or unity for my control surface? I  cannot see animation if i just directly add modulecontrolsurface into cfg. im new for modelling and it really confused me ><

2 hours ago, Asteroid.K said:

Do i need to set any hinge point or something like animation in 3dmax or unity for my control surface? I  cannot see animation if i just directly add modulecontrolsurface into cfg. im new for modelling and it really confused me ><

Yes you'll need to set up the pivots so that it pivots in the right place, I strongly suggest getting the blender mu importer and checking out a stock airbrake, will answer a lot of questions, and i know as a max user, you like me probably have little love for blender, but in this instance it is indispensable, and is the only thing I use blender for, there being no max alternative for mu import

21 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Yes you'll need to set up the pivots so that it pivots in the right place, I strongly suggest getting the blender mu importer and checking out a stock airbrake, will answer a lot of questions, and i know as a max user, you like me probably have little love for blender, but in this instance it is indispensable, and is the only thing I use blender for, there being no max alternative for mu import

It works, thank you very much! you really helps me a lot XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.