[Official] Forum Feedback Thread

Claw

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed to death already..

Ok, so I haven't been around much lately. In fact for at least half a year. But... what on earth happened to the forums?  The new forum software is... err..  well, I really have no polite way of putting it. A bit rubbish, really.

The formatting is weird and the layout is HUGE and wastes soooo much screen space (haven't found a way to change styles, assuming it's possible), and it's slow. So seriously, WHY? The old software seemed to do ok (and looked and worked SO much better - at least from a user perspective).

2 hours ago, micha said:

Ok.. so any way of changing the theme?

I've been wondering if anything was going to come of that "new forum issues/suggestions" thread we had when this IPS thing first turned up.
Has it been long enough now to conclude "suggestions made, bugs reported, no-one plans on fixing anything"?

The eye-burning theme was mentioned repeatedly, along with the incredibly slow JS, glitchy & slow editor, half-arsed BBCode support... And the totally broken mobile interface (try quoting someone on FF/Android, it's "fun").

For the colours, this stylish theme works ok. For everything else, sounds like it's the usual story: "It's a Unity IPS problem, nothing we can do"... which makes me wonder who selected this as a replacement for VB.

5 hours ago, micha said:

The new forum software is... err..  well, I really have no polite way of putting it. A bit rubbish, really.

The formatting is weird and the layout is HUGE and wastes soooo much screen space (haven't found a way to change styles, assuming it's possible), and it's slow. So seriously, WHY? The old software seemed to do ok (and looked and worked SO much better - at least from a user perspective).

Yes, the new forum software is total rubbish*. "A bit rubbish" is the most polite way to put it that I can think of, also BBCode is broken.

XenForo is a way better forum software.

* That isn't the least polite way to put it I have thought of.

Also shouldn't the title of this thread be "So what on Kerbin happened to the forums...?" :cool:

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, micha said:

Ok.. so any way of changing the theme? It's literally burning my eyes out while I'm playing KSP..  switching from (nearly) pitch black to bright white is just evil.

The old Vbulliten style was basically white and blue.  Do you happen to have a screenshot of the pitch black forum?

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

The old Vbulliten style was basically white and blue.  Do you happen to have a screenshot of the pitch black forum?

No; not in the habit of randomly taking screenshots of forums.  But I can't recall it being this bright.  Regardless, I didn't realise there was a vibrant Forum Discussion and Feature Request thread running, and since I did discover it, I have "Liked" the various suggestions for adding Themes to the forum. Choice FTW.

6 minutes ago, micha said:

No; not in the habit of randomly taking screenshots of forums.  But I can't recall it being this bright.  Regardless, I didn't realise there was a vibrant Forum Discussion and Feature Request thread running, and since I did discover it, I have "Liked" the various suggestions for adding Themes to the forum. Choice FTW.

I was able to back up much of the rocket builders subforum to the wayback machine before it was vanished.  Here's a couple of links to that:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140328140448/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20151123031957/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78590-Hiring-Taking-Requests%21-The-FIST%21%21-Firewall-Industries-Spacecraft-Technology

I lied about bothering the mods about this:

I have said it twice, but sometimes editing my posts on Chrome iPad fails. I can type stuff, but when I press Save, it hangs.

EDIT (hopefully): a post in the test thread:

Edited by RA3236

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.