2 hours ago, EBOSHI said:

I've been waiting over a year for next sign of multiplayer since I'd seen this Devnote that Felipe(HarvesteR) had said "the underlying framework for the next big things, like Multiplayer".
I wish some sign of it come out after releasing v1.2.

...don't you?

My best educated guess is Multiplayer will likely show up around 1.4.  We already know that, at least at one point, Squad wanted to do graphical enhancements.  No real details were given but this would possibly include things like clouds, planetshine, better plumes, atmospheric scattering, water effects, ice particle effects, better collision effects, more engines with lighting effects, and of course the already known rocket part revamp which would improve textures on the rocket parts (none of that is confirmed except the rocket part revamp, just possibilities).  My guess is this visual enhancement will be 1.3, after that Multiplayer is really the only thing left that has been promised, aside from a few GUI enhancements (like a Delta V calculator) which theoretically shouldn't be that big a task.

Edited by Alshain

21 hours ago, Alshain said:

My best educated guess is Multiplayer will likely show up around 1.4.  We already know that, at least at one point, Squad wanted to do graphical enhancements.  No real details were given but this would possibly include things like clouds, planetshine, better plumes, atmospheric scattering, water effects, ice particle effects, better collision effects, more engines with lighting effects, and of course the already known rocket part revamp which would improve textures on the rocket parts (none of that is confirmed except the rocket part revamp, just possibilities).  My guess is this visual enhancement will be 1.3, after that Multiplayer is really the only thing left that has been promised, aside from a few GUI enhancements (like a Delta V calculator) which theoretically shouldn't be that big a task.

Surely, certainly I also think KSP still a developing game. At the moment v.1.2 seems further progress, but there are still lots of bugs and feedbacks as you said. 
After improvement of visual and stability by a few updates, we may have some kind of surprising information. The multi-player, planet base construction (also Kerbin), life not kerbal, Kerbal Marine Explorations(?), and so on. 

When talking about future big thing, I consider the type of DLC not so bad on the fund side, though I don't know about business results of them. but I'll never pay millions, tens will be nothing probably...

Edited by EBOSHI

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy with the direction of the game. However I still feel like if they didn't mean it they shouldn't have mentioned that multiplayer would be implemented some time soon after 2015. Kerbal MultiPlayer mod proved the concept is doable and even today, GoDarklight and others are keeping the dust off Darklight-MultiPlayer. Also they are doing this with out the QA and development team. The fact that people outside the company can make multiplayer so easily suggests that it's not as difficult as anyone will have you imagine. Maybe the original guys from Squad weren't the best net coders. Maybe they wanted to make sure the game was at it's finest-well tuned state before they implemented MultiPlayer so they wouldn't have to work a SinglePlayer and Multiplayer system through update after update. I'm not a developer, a programmer, a scientist -- I just use words and play games, and stuff. I do know 1/2 of the people in my friends list have it on the shelf until a stable version of Multiplayer is implemented. 

Edited by Dills0n
I wanted to add more words and change a couple grammar things and stuff.

Newbie here so do forgive me if this has been suggested as I am coming from a chat with my friends on the game and the idea just struck.

On the subject of multiplayer but more specifically Co-Op what does the community think to the idea of instancing a game so that the way Co-Op career mode (for example) would work is multiple players designate by vote or whatever the controller, this person is doing designs in the various places and launches/pilots the respective vehicles. The rest of the players simply spectate the controllers screen as they go through so they can comment and share ideas on what to do with a vote or simple give control command being needed when wanting to switch to a new person.

When it comes to launch time a person is designated to take control and remain in control until the flight is over, this is the instance being created for the simulation. The rest of the players are then seated in a mission control style room where they are able to see both the rocket view the controller sees and the map view side by side, allowing for voice commands over "radio" to the controllers in the craft.

I was playing last night and streaming the entire thing over steam broadcast of all things to my friend....The quality was seamless and other than not being able to let him take control or him see the both views it was essentially like playing Co-Op.

I ask if the steam system can so easily send the data like that could the Squad team not mimic a similar sort of system as I have suggested?

Welcome to comments and thoughts?! :)

Edited by SgtSnuggles
spelling

17 hours ago, SgtSnuggles said:

On the subject of multiplayer but more specifically Co-Op what does the community think to the idea of instancing a game so that the way Co-Op career mode (for example) would work is multiple players designate by vote or whatever the controller, this person is doing designs in the various places and launches/pilots the respective vehicles. The rest of the players simply spectate the controllers screen as they go through so they can comment and share ideas on what to do with a vote or simple give control command being needed when wanting to switch to a new person.

That's just like playing a console game machine with friends in front of TV. It also seems to be fun, but if I get the long-awaited multi-playing, I hope for spaceflight at the same time with friends and also with Kerbonauts around the world.
Probably the problem time-warp would be solved reasonably more than expected. I think all works should be simultaneous process for instance wrestling together with big contract, vessel docking, ISS development, the formation flying, et al. KSP playfield (It's the space) is soooo extensive that it should be developed by more than one person. Perhaps, "The Klympic Games" will be held in the future.

3 hours ago, EBOSHI said:

That's just like playing a console game machine with friends in front of TV. It also seems to be fun, but if I get the long-awaited multi-playing, I hope for spaceflight at the same time with friends and also with Kerbonauts around the world.
Probably the problem time-warp would be solved reasonably more than expected. I think all works should be simultaneous process for instance wrestling together with big contract, vessel docking, ISS development, the formation flying, et al. KSP playfield (It's the space) is soooo extensive that it should be developed by more than one person. Perhaps, "The Klympic Games" will be held in the future.

Cheers for the reply!

Yeah I see what you mean and funnily enough my boss said the same thing, he didnt like the idea of watching rather than playing even if he could take control.

We toyed with the idea of the multiplayer being essentially a corporate space race.....which would be awesome :P

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I enjoy stock KSP, there are situations that multiplayer would be awesome. For example, I have a buddy who's really good at designing and flying launch vehicles, but sucks at orbital rendezvous. I am the opposite. It would be great to coop things like that without having to hop on each other's computers or transfer save files. Another thing: having a space race thing, but then go on to do missions that require partnerships with each other. Say one of us focused on certain areas of the tech tree and the other focused on another area. We could to coop missions that we couldn't do alone, and both get SCIENCE from them. Finally, things like using the same stations as staging points for missions, having to buy fuel from your competitor's station to get back home, paying them to launch a spacecraft on a rocket that's more efficient than your own launcher. That would be pretty cool. I don't know how it work from a code standpoint, especially with more than two or three players, but I'd love to try it. Even if it couldn't support multiple people with active vessels in physics range of each other. So long as we can dock to each other's stations and pay for refueling or be paid to fill the station's tanks is what I mostly care about.

As for time-warp issues, maybe some sort of global kerbal alarm clock would work well for that.

Edited by mattssheep4

On 12/18/2015 at 8:54 AM, DrMarlboro said:

I just don't see how multiplayer would work in this game without ruining it.

What is there to do in multiplayer? Build a station, but then how do you decided who pilots the station? How does building that station benefit anyone? How do we get to that station without time warp in a decent amount of time? 

But what else is there to do together? Well.. nothing except dogfighting because anything on Kerbin can pretty much be done in real time. 

Ksp isn't like survival games, or rts games, or shooters. In survival games you can both work on a base, gather resources, defend that base from ai and other players, and in rts you can play against each other or work towards a common victory condition, and I don't think I need to explain shooters. The point is, since rocket and plane building is very much a one person job, there really is no way to have multiplayer that isn't combat oriented. Which aparently is all some people want anyway, but it doesn't fit ksp very well. 

The only feasible multiplayer I could think of would be the space race me and my friends do. But that would only require integrated tracking of other clients, since we don't actually have to be in the same game. 

Well , there will be always solutions to problems like for example:

the timewarp issue 

the 1st player asks permission for timewarp to player 2 and 3

player 2 and 3 confirmed

then it goes.

Also Multiplayer is always an option , you dont have to play Multiplayer in Ksp if you dont like it , Secondley you could just go singleplayer without ever touching Multiplayer , the Point is , its always an option

Sidenote:

All Problems Have Solutions

• 1 month later...
On 2016/12/31 at 0:08 AM, Duxter said:

Now 1.2 is released and the new team is working on a surprise!!! May be this is.....THE parts overhaulthe or multiplayer  !!! :sticktongue:

I hope so! But there would be many mountains, valleys and caves on the way developers will go on. we had been waiting the multi-play for hundreds of years, and we're needed to keep watching more what they are doing.

• 11 months later...

I have an idea for 2 player CO-OP multiplayer, built in or modded.

Option to either both players log into the rocket building facility and construct a rocket by communicating and working together depending on the mission. So both player in the hanger pulling parts and building a rocket together. The other option is to have separate hangers and each player is responsible for a different stage of the rocket.

Once the rocket is ready for launch then the rocket is moved to the launch pad. At which time player 1 and player 2 take control of a Kerbal each. The rocket is not in the control of either player at this time. The rocket is controlled by the player whose "in control". Control can be switched between player 1 and player 2. Similar to FSX when you switch control of the aircraft from Pilot to Co-Pilot.

Player 1 have control over everything including the flight controls and warp speed. Player 2 has control over everything except flight controls and warp speed. Player with control can only warp speed when both Kerbals are inside the spacecraft. 

This way both players will always be synced to the same time line.

So in summary:

- Both players help to build a spacecraft for the decided mission. 

- Each player has a Kerbal avatar that they control fully.

- Only one player can have spacecraft flight controls and warp speed control at any one time.

- Control can be switched between players.

What do you all think? Would it work? If so how easy would this be to implement in a mod? Could I do it myself having not created a mod before?

• 2 months later...

I saw a lot people suggesting something like "Watch Mode", where you can see the spacecraft as normal, but without control.

I think there schould be sub-Modi of this "Watch-Mode", like non-spacecraft-bound, planet-bound and a special for Streamers.

About the last one: A featured streamer could have something like followers, he don't has to add as friends, and then be able set his KSP-MP-Status to "streaming". No matter if he is playing single or multiplayer or on wich server/with friends/wathever his followers could watch him in this "Watch-Mode".

• 5 years later...

It is wonderful to look back at these old discussions, and see what the community thought about multiplayer all those years ago. Lots of things that were discussed in the Pre-KSP2 launch forum were discussed here. One has to wonder if Squad would have actually added multiplayer into KSP1 had KSP2 never been a thing, (as claimed by some of the forum users in 2016).

If you squint hard enough, you could make yourself believe these are current-day discussions on KSP2's multiplayer. The hypothetical concern back then seems to be the same today: a game not being able to handle thousands of parts at a time shouldn't be able to handle multiplayer.

When multiplayer does eventually come around for KSP2, it will be interesting to see how many things the community got right... almost 8 years before its release.