The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

Didn't he already have a science rover in chapter one? Oh wait... That was Linus... 

Seriously, you need a small rover. All the big rovers are having problems with 1.1, so I saw someone make a small rover that attaches to a big one with KAS. That way, the big one drives somewhere, then the small one explores things like steep areas that the big one can't reach. I'm sure your not getting KAS just for that though.

The little Biome Bug???  I forgot about that one.  :D

I did try making a couple new ones with the smaller wheels, but the issue I have with those, and I admit it's probably self-inflicted, is now I keep blowing out the tires.  Even those rugged ones.  Every couple minutes it seems I'm stopping to fix a flat.  

29 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Dang it, man! You take too much inspiration from Star Trek! I just found out that Neutronium is an element in the Trekiverse. You might get charged with plagarism! :(

Ahhhhh yes, I believe the Doomsday hull was solid Neutronium.

But I was under the impression Neutronium was what a neutron star was made of, at least in Sci-fi lore.

Edited by Just Jim

The "Mercenary" rover in my sig *Addiction Aerospace* *shameless self-promotion* cough cough* seems to be unaffected by the wheel updates. Yeah, it does spinout if you push it too hard, but it doesn't get flats really. lol. im shamelessly promoting myself with

*Detemmienation.

10 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

The "Mercenary" rover in my sig *Addiction Aerospace* *shameless self-promotion* cough cough* seems to be unaffected by the wheel updates. Yeah, it does spinout if you push it too hard, but it doesn't get flats really. lol. im shamelessly promoting myself with

*Detemmienation.

Shameless self-promotion is fine in this case... that looks sort of like the first Mun rover I made for the Elcano, before I made the chariots.  It too was a sort of dune-buggy design, and did amazing on the beaches of Laythe.  I'll have to dig thru my archive and see if I still have the craft file.

9 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

You mean metaphorically, actually, or both?:wink:

hehehe..... I suppose both.  Mostly metaphorically, but the old Kraken did put Thompberry's brain in the pod, so in a sense it did physically change Thompberry into what he is today.

Chapter 48
Frannie's Epiphany

Piper and her team had been at the strange monolith for two days. Meanwhile, back at KASA, Gene was reading Piper's latest report in disbelief when Dr. von Kerman came into his office and looked at his friend with a smile.

"Gene, as your doctor and friend, I have to say, you look terrible. Therefor, I officially prescribe a 2-day break."

"But..." Gene started to protest.

"No, my friend, no buts. We've just picked up another blip somewhere near the mountains west of here, and I'm taking the Dragonfly out to check it out. It's most likely another false alarm, but it's only a few hours from here. We'll go have a look and be back tomorrow. Come with.... please?"  

Gene thought about it a moment, "Only 2 days?"

"Two days, promise."

Gene set the monolith report down on his desk next to two new contracts he really didn't want to deal with at the moment, and smiled back up at the doctor. "Sure... sure, why not?  You're right, I need to get out of here for a bit."

With that Gene notified his secretary that unless it was a life or death emergency, she was to hold all calls until his return, and the two headed to the parking lot and von Kerman's new science rover, affectionately named the Dragonfly by the R&D staff.

kte9AGa.png

IrvyivG.png

uWvpYin.png

Once she was a safe distance from the space center, von Kerman's driver unfurled the Dragonfly's solar and radiator panels, and it became evident to Gene how the ship had earned it's name.

g5BAOu4.png

8EIsIIh.png

It was a pleasant drive to [coordinates classified], and soon Gene began to relax and enjoy the surrounding scenery.

5n2xqV5.png

oUy4duG.png

EX3PEQ7.png

As afternoon turned to evening, they reached their destination, only to find the blip was high atop a nearby mountain, and totally inaccessible.

CVmfn3f.png

6uZITZ3.png

6BiXgQ2.png

It was obvious there was no use in going any closer, so von Kerman decided to set up camp where they were, gather what science data they could, refuel the Dragonfly, and head back home in the morning.

VBYXIu3.png

RSO7FxS.png

oMh3l2S.png

While the crew worked, Gene and von Kerman sat and watched the stars.

UujlOA5.png

"You know," Gene said to his friend, "There are still board members that think this rover of yours is just a glorified mobile home."

"And you, my friend?" von Kerman smiled back.

Gene laughed, "Well, just between us, I'm glad we spent the extra credits. I certainly did need to get out of there. You've heard the news, haven't you?  About that thrice dam...  sorry. About that Ultimate Challenge of Parka's?"

"The Challenge?" von Kerman asked, "No, I thought by now most everyone had forgotten about it."

Gene scowled, "So had I. Then this morning I get an e-mail from both O.M.B. Demo and Winterowl that they want in. And what am I supposed to do, say no?"

YhnqaIi.png

bLVgiGb.png

"Oh... and to make things even better, Parka himself is no-where to be found. Apparently no-one's seen him for days now."

"Ahhh, I begin to understand your frustration," von Kerman smiled. "But Parka has done this before, has he not?"

"He has, yes." Gene replied, then shook his head, "Forget about him, forget KASA, forget everything for now. I just want to sit and relax and listen to the moonkrickets singing, OK?"

"OK, my friend, your doctor agrees."

And they sat in silence until the sun rose over the hills, then set back to the space center.

sU2rmWt.png

But as they neared the complex, von Kerman told his driver to head instead towards the KASA monolith. "I just want to gather some new data to compare to Piper's last report."

p3ToJ5g.png

Bigrjfb.png

But like earlier attempts, the science equipment showed nothing, and so Gene and von Kerman climbed down and walked up to the monolith.

o0x1LSs.png

L2jm2NS.png

"I don't understand... I just don't understand," von Kerman muttered.

"What don't you understand?" Gene asked.

"Something doesn't fit... the data Piper sent yesterday morning, did you noticed anything unusual about it?"

Gene smiled, "Only that that monolith they found is impossible? That it's apparently made from a neutron star, and is unthinkably old? Oh no, I noticed nothing unusual at all."

But von Kerman wasn't laughing. "No, Gene... think!  Exactly how did they collect that data?"

"I'm not sure I"m following you, doc."

"Something doesn't fit. That monolith has the same area of nothingness surrounding it as this one, but the Chariot is getting data from it? How?" Gene gasped with understanding, but allowed von Kerman to continue. "And furthermore, just how did they determine it's mass? We have no test equipment that can do that from over 100 meters away!" 

"Thompberry..." Gene whispered.

"Yes, I fear this is the case, my friend. This is why I've said nothing until now, where he cannot hear us. I believe he's somehow tampering with the test equipment, and perhaps more."

"Then do you believe the data is false?" Gene asked.

"I'm not sure," von Kerman thought about it for a moment, "But somehow I don't think that's his game. I believe we can trust the data is real. But how did he adjust... upgrade... that Chariot to detect it, and why? I believe this is the bigger mystery."

N6EfAa3.png

Then von Kerman looked at his friend sadly, "And there is one more issue, I'm afraid. Have you taken stock of the date?"

"No, why?" Gene asked nervously.

"In 80 days the transit window opens from Duna back home..."

"Oh no..." Gene whispered, "Do you think he.... it's..... coming back."

In an even softer whisper von Kerman answered, "Do you think it's not?"

jH6bjmt.png

But at that moment, high over Duna, Thompberry wasn't paying any attention to Gene or the KASA space center, and was instead spying on a fascinating conversation going on between Piper and the Rocklady, and Frannie Kerman, who had just finished refueling the Chariot and was heading over to give Piper a status report.

U7HwV3e.png

The sun was sinking over the western Mun hills, and Frannie found the other two trying to commune with some nearby boulders.  But she was getting fed up with what she thought was a bunch of metaphysical mumbo-jumbo, and snorted with derision when she grew near.

"Oh come on, it's just a rock!" 

8Ert3do.png

The Rocklady turned to Frannie with a smile and began "But rocks are part of nature..."

Frannie cut her off, "Yes, you've told me. But a rock isn't alive, not like a tree or fish or even grass. That I could almost believe in. But a rock is just that, a rock. It isn't alive. It doesn't have a mind or a heart or a soul!"

UWRLGbm.png

"Frannie, calm down," Piper said with a smile. "I don't really understand it either. But I can honestly say I've seen.... things."

"I'm sorry," Frannie said sheepishly, "But I'm an engineer, not a philosopher. My mind is all gears and circuits and relays. For me it would be much easier to believe that rock is a tool..... not.... alive..... wait...... ohhhh"

Piper felt a cold chill run down her back, and whispered, "Oh my....."

Frannie continued, half in wonder at her own words, "What if.... what if the rock itself isn't sending the visions? Have you considered this? What if the rock is just a tool, perhaps like some weird psychic radio, and someone... something else entirely is sending the visions thru it?"

WqCxExc.png

sIZIq5I.png

High above Duna, Thompberry reeled at this epiphany! How had he not seen this himself? Only he knew the floating rocks could create wormholes, but he never considered them to also be a ways of communicating! How did he miss something so obvious!

Now he needed to return to Kerbin as soon as possible. Until now he had considered this Rocklady to be some sort of metaphysical hoax; an amusement at best. But no longer..... now he knew he had to interrogate her as soon as possible, and perhaps this Frannie as well!!!!

CjI6o0k.png

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over.....

Go to Chapter 49
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

I see you still love the big wheels, still have big rovers, and still have an awesome mission report chapter! The dragonfly is kinda a mix between the chariot and the 20 Kerbal bus things you used a long time ago... Will Thompberry come? Will the rock lady be captured? Will they get to the next monolith on the mountain? Will we see more of the fancy mobile home dragonfly? We will find out... Soon!

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

I see you still love the big wheels, still have big rovers, and still have an awesome mission report chapter! The dragonfly is kinda a mix between the chariot and the 20 Kerbal bus things you used a long time ago... 

This one had to have big wheels, yeah.  It's not the most efficient, and runs out of fuel way too fast, but if I can get one to the mun.... big if there... it should be as nice as a chariot, but with a portable science lab.

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

The Dragonfly is big enough that you could probably fit a mini rover in it. *cough cough* my dune duggy *cough cough*

If it didn't have the Convert-O-Tron and ore tanks in back it could definitely hold a smaller rover.  :D

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Now he needed to return to Kerbin as soon as possible.  Until now he had considered this Rocklady to be some sort of metaphysical hoax; an amusement at best.  But no longer..... now he knew he had to interrogate her as soon as possible, and perhaps this Frannie as well!!!!

Well, things will get interesting.  I hope there's some surprise in store for Thompberry when he returns :)

1 hour ago, Andem said:

Dr. Whernor von Kerman, PhD, MD, and Certified Rover Driver!

Oh, and what was Thompberry before he became... it? Pilot, Engineer, or Scientist?

Hmm... Thompberry had built Alpha and Omega-77, right. So that means he's an engineer.

But he had enough scientific knowledge to utilize the power of those floating rocks. So is he a scientist?

But then again, he could expertly hover-dock with the Raptor and fly those refueling vehicles to Harfield's Eve lander. So he's a pilot?!

So, @Just Jim, what exactly was Thompberry's occupation?

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, things will get interesting.  I hope there's some surprise in store for Thompberry when he returns :)

I hope so, too  :wink:

9 hours ago, Andem said:

Dr. Whernor von Kerman, PhD, MD, and Certified Rover Driver!

No, if you go back and check near the beginning of the chapter, I said somewhere von Kerman had a driver.
However, I haven't decided yet if von Kerman is supposed to be a scientist or engineer.  Or a little of both.

9 hours ago, Andem said:

Oh, and what was Thompberry before he became... it? Pilot, Engineer, or Scientist?

8 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Hmm... Thompberry had built Alpha and Omega-77, right. So that means he's an engineer.

But he had enough scientific knowledge to utilize the power of those floating rocks. So is he a scientist?

But then again, he could expertly hover-dock with the Raptor and fly those refueling vehicles to Harfield's Eve lander. So he's a pilot?!

So, @Just Jim, what exactly was Thompberry's occupation?

Originally Thompberry was an exceptionally smart BadS scientist.  Now he/it doesn't really fit into the normal occupational guidelines.

But there was always a question of whether he built Alpha-77 and the others by himself or not.... I may explore this more if and when he gets back to Kerbin.

As for being a pilot, in the story he gained the ability to fly and drive when he learned to "merge" with the ships.  Once merged, it's almost like walking or running to him.  Later he learned to do this remotely, and better than any normal Kerbin trying to fly a ship by remote control.  But I don't think he can fly more than one at a time.  He's still part organic, and not totally computer, so I think he would have to stay focused on flying a ship, especially if he were doing it by remote.  At least for now......

In R/L game terms, because the stay-putnik is not the best probe core available... :rolleyes:... I have a better one stuffed up inside the brain pod, which makes it a 4-star pilot.  I think 4-star.  Anyway, this lets it drive or fly anything it's attached to.

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

In R/L game terms, because the stay-putnik is not the best probe core available... :rolleyes:... I have a better one stuffed up inside the brain pod, which makes it a 4-star pilot.  I think 4-star.  Anyway, this lets it drive or fly anything it's attached to.

So the probe core inside the Stayputnik is what actually contains Thompberry's brain? Because I dont think a kerbal's brain could survive in a cold (or hot) aluminum sphere.

2 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

So the probe core inside the Stayputnik is what actually contains Thompberry's brain? Because I dont think a kerbal's brain could survive in a cold (or hot) aluminum sphere.

Not really, what I meant was to play the game I stuffed a really good probe core inside the stayputnik.  Stayputniks don't work so well as probe cores, but they look pretty cool, so I like to use them for decorations.

As for the story line, it's very unclear just how his brain survives while contained inside that thing.  Only the old Kraken knows for sure, and he's dead.  This is technology centuries beyond KASA.  Not even Thompberry knows how to actually do it... thankfully!!!

Edited by Just Jim

20 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Of all the spectacular images here, I have to admit my favorite is the one of Wernher and Gene relaxing on the porch :) 

I will have you know, sir, that is NOT a porch!
Those are Professional Research Observation Chairs, or P.O.R.Ch...

oh, crap....

:D

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.