The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

47 minutes ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Nice! But how did you get rover wheels and stuff with Level 1 Buildings?!

I call cheats :0.0::D

On 19-6-2016 at 0:16 AM, Just Jim said:

There is something I would like to explain about this backstory, but I can't write it into the story itself without breaking the 4th wall, so to speak. 

That sounds like a good idea, you can't really repair a broken wall with ducktape, or even handwavium! And altough some stories are more fun with only 3 walls, this one is better with 4. :D

Edited by superstrijder15

9 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Woooooo!  Wernher started as a guineapig test pilot!  and I KNEW you would like OPM enough to do this.  I like Wernher's Aeroship, what's the range on that thing?  Oh, and there's sooooo much to see...first Kerbal in space for one....and how did Jeb come into the picture...and onandonandon...I love this Jim keep going!

Yeah, I just needed a better computer to handle OPM and do it justice.
The range on the Aeroship is just what you saw, about the length of the runway.  Although I'm thinking if I tweaked the wings I may be able to get it to glide further.

4 hours ago, AkuAerospace said:

Another great chapter and (I'm definitely not the first to say this) quite entertaining seeing Wherner as the "Proto Jeb", also I don't know if anyone else thought of it but did the second creation make anyone think of the story of Wan Hu? Although I might add that he had a much better flight than Buster did.

Anyway, intriguing setup and more awaits I'm sure.

Aku

Yes, the chair was based on Wan Hu's chair, and also Buster's valiant attempt.  I've been waiting to see if anyone caught that.  :D

1 hour ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Nice! But how did you get rover wheels and stuff with Level 1 Buildings?!

57 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

I call cheats :0.0::D

Good observation!  But no cheats.  You just missed one small detail.  Look at the KRASH picture carefully:

KisIZog.png

R&D is level 2.  I wanted to go completely caveman with this, but couldn't, for just the reason you mentioned.  There is no way to get rover wheels at level 1, so I had to upgrade it.   Luckily level 2 R&D buildings still look similar.

8 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

Emiko station meets Close Encounters of the Third kind meets Foundation and Empire meets Indiana Jones.

whats OPM?

OPM: Outer Planets Mod.  Adds 4 more planets and a bunch more moons. 
And because it's one of the more popular mods, a lot of folk immediately recognized it.

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Wow. 28 likes on that chapter. (Including me) No wonder you have over 2000 reputation! 

Yeah, I take it as a sign I must be doing something right!  :D

1 hour ago, Moose Rocket Science said:

What i would like, Plot Twists!

I got a couple biggies coming up in just a few more chapters... :wink:

Oh, speaking of, I got a lot of screenshots done today... some pretty wild ones... 

Edited by Just Jim

Hey everyone.  I'm sure your all aware by now 1.1.3 came out last night. 
But apparently Kopernicus and HE aren't compatible with it, so I'm on hold until they get updated.  Sorry.  ;.;

Here's a small teaser until then:

ieZQMH1.png

14 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

I just read this entire fan fiction in one sitting. I am now inspired.

In one sitting?  Wow, that's a lot!  I'm glad you like it so far!

So hey everyone, I know it's going on a week in between chapters again, but trust me, it's so worth the wait!
The 1.1.3 update had me down a little while, but this morning it gave me an amazing gift in return... :cool:

I spent the day re-doing a bunch of screenshots, and I should have the next chapter tomorrow no problem.
But until then... remember the teaser I posted a couple days ago?  Well, that one is now obsolete.
This is the new, revised teaser... enjoy! 

yBBhsAe.png

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:56 AM, Just Jim said:

Hey everyone.  I'm sure your all aware by now 1.1.3 came out last night. 
But apparently Kopernicus and HE aren't compatible with it, so I'm on hold until they get updated.  Sorry.  ;.;

Here's a small teaser until then:

I was really disappointed about the update too. I had a couple probes in-route to Neidon and now they are just kind floating out there. Another thing, You should add some visual mods to the series like EVE or KSPRC when they get updated. It might look a little bit weird, as there were no clouds and such previously on the planets, but I think it could benefit to the overall beauty of the series.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69702-112-ksprc-renaissance-compilation-artworks-remake-v-07-pre-release-3/

http://imgur.com/a/qGC5O#0

Every visual addition in KSPRC is also applied on planets and moons from OPM. Giving the whole solar system a super cool effect. NOTE: Its the little details from this pack that make the biggest difference, like the lighter colored water around the continents on Kerbin on Laythe, indicating reefs or shallows.

Edited by Gman_builder

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

I was really disappointed about the update too. I had a couple probes in-route to Neidon and now they are just kind floating out there. Another thing, You should add some visual mods to the series like EVE or KSPRC when they get updated. It might look a little bit weird, as there were no clouds and such previously on the planets, but I think it could benefit to the overall beauty of the series.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69702-112-ksprc-renaissance-compilation-artworks-remake-v-07-pre-release-3/

http://imgur.com/a/qGC5O#0

Every visual addition in KSPRC is also applied on planets and moons from OPM. Giving the whole solar system a super cool effect. NOTE: Its the little details from this pack that make the biggest difference, like the lighter colored water around the continents on Kerbin on Laythe, indicating reefs or shallows.

I've been debating Eve, or something like it.  I think the readers will understand the change in appearance if I do add it.

1 hour ago, insert_name said:

is that the magic boulder implanted in tetko?

Tomorrow, tomorrow,
You'll find out, tomorrow,
It's only a day away.... 

:sticktongue:

The more abstract the truth is that you would teach, the more you have to seduce the senses to it.
                                                                                                                        Friedrich Nietzsche

Chapter 55
Emiko's Magical Mystery Tour

Emiko Kerman spent the next three years in the desert, as what started as a routine archeological dig mushroomed into a huge excavation project. One pyramid after another was uncovered, until finally it was clear Emiko had discovered no less than the fabled temple of Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn itself. 

l0Jmpv1.png

Once most of the heavy work was finished, and the volunteers had left, Emiko and her two assistants stayed on to continue their work. The site was massive, and Emiko wondered if she could study it all in just one lifetime. Smiling at the thought of a lifetime of work, she went back to examining a odd looking crack near the top of the rear pyramid. Something about seemed out of place, and she wondered sadly if perhaps it had been an attempt by early grave robbers to enter the pyramid.

gbs6gwN.png

uCasTSW.png

It was already past midnight, and her assistants had long since turned in, when suddenly out of no-where, Emiko heard and felt a dull sort of thud behind her. Turning to investigate, Emiko's jaw dropped at what she saw below her, maybe 100 meters or so behind the pyramid.

rduzZHp.png

cbZwlvz.png

The boulder was huge, and Emiko couldn't understand how it could have fallen from the mountain behind her with just a thud and not a roar. Clearly it must weigh over a hundred tons or more; it should have brought half the cliff down with it. But there it was, just sitting there, almost begging Emiko to come investigate, which she immediately started off to do.

IvfN3uy.png

xUzZC8d.png

Wd4Ud1o.png

Once she reached the ground and headed towards their shelter, affectionately named "the mushroom", Emiko wondered how her assistants had not heard the thud. But as she got closer, Emiko could hear sounds of laughter and hushed giggles coming from within, and the reason became apparent. For weeks now Emiko knew her assistants, Thompington and Bruberry, were attracted to each other in a big way. And not wanting to interrupt the cute young couple, she decided to go investigate the weird boulder for herself.

9Hqf1t7.png

GI3sX4A.png

ybEHwGO.png

GOxxeRD.png

As she drew closer, Emiko could see vast ripples and veins of some form of emerald colored mineral. But emeralds didn't glow like this. And the closer she got, the more she realized just how huge it was. And the more the emerald veins seemed to glow with some sort of power.

SDDuwfe.png

"What are you?" Emiko whispered, wondering what to do next. 

For a moment she thought of poking it with a stick, but her instincts told her not to taunt it, so she discarded the idea. Then she had an odd thought.

"You know..." she said out loud, "You almost look like that thing from one my nursery rhymes. What was it? A magic rock... no, not a rock. It was a boulder. Yes, that's it, you look like the Magic Boulder!"

Then suddenly and without warning, Emiko felt herself being lifted off the ground and in front of the strange boulder!

SNRLiae.png

5YOTZ0x.png

0U4iGAZ.png

TIAElIz.png

Oddly, Emiko didn't feel any fear. In fact, it rather tickled, and she began to wonder if this was all just a dream, and she was, in fact, asleep up on the pyramid. It wouldn't be the first time. 

About halfway up the boulder, Emiko felt a huge rush of warmth ripple thru her, and her skin tingled with power. Then there was a blinding flash, and she was gone! And just seconds later the boulder itself surged with power, and in an even bigger flash, it was gone as well!

MIyrvMd.png

xOmF3Yw.png

XdB0vFs.png

KlBJ0O1.png

ikl7RYx.png

qVK5jza.png

For Emiko it seemed as if time itself had paused, and she was blanketed in a sort of black nothingness. It was neither hot, nor cold... just dark emptiness, and she was convinced now this was some sort of amazing lucid dream, and decided to just relax and enjoy it. Without any way to gauge time, she wasn't sure of minutes or years had passed before she felt the strange tingling sensation, and felt herself emerging from the boulder with a flash.

But where she emerged... well, that was a complete mystery!

I5IAh6R.png

5DU19FF.png

MHC0D3b.png

7CDeZLZ.png

As she gently landed, Emiko suddenly realized she couldn't breath, and quickly switch on her suits respirators. While it had never really been designed for space, the suit had been used in the deep oceans, and to Emiko's relief, seemed to be holding up. But no air? Where could she be? Looking around her, it almost looked like the surface of the Mun. But if this were the case, why did she feel so heavy? Something was definitely out of place. Then she turned around to look behind her, and was quite startled to see a vast rock formation stretching out before her.

Gn51dm1.png

gNGqEFr.png

3aCzIMu.png

"Oh my....  it's stunning. Magic Boulder, where are we?"

8TzRsAY.png

But instead of receiving a reply, Emiko felt herself once again being lifted towards the Magic Boulder and like before disappeared with a bright flash of light and power.

ZA7dxop.png

Ejhrffy.png

KSxM8h6.png

7SStNfF.png

The next time Emiko emerged, she felt a terrible cold creeping thru her bones, and without having to look, she knew this was definitely not Kerbin.

mXBWbbX.png

4bsRqQK.png

DNc0yvb.png

As her feet hit the ground, she felt herself slipping and realized they were now on some vast frozen plain. And rising before her was some sort of bizarre and magnificent ice sculpture. Emiko had no words for it. All she could do is stand there and gasp as the sun reflected of countless facets of icy crystal. 

MIC27aL.png

Bs895uo.png

D6HLwIa.png

"Oh, Magic Boulder. They're like great frozen spires... or monoliths! Yes, that one over there is definitely a monolith! I don't know where we are, but it's so very beautiful! Thank you for showing me this, Magic Boulder. Even if this is just a dream, thank you"

NWa4E5j.png

And once again Emiko was lifted up and into the Magic Boulder and disappeared.

LhBhaH0.png

eQ8eeb1.png

Drifting in her comfortable emptiness, Emiko tried to analyze and understand what and how this could be. Even if she was dreaming, the scientist in her was asking questions, and gathering data. But the only conclusion she could come to was so radical as to be beyond belief, and she finally put it to the back of her mind, relaxed, and waited to see where the Magic Boulder was taking her next. After the gorgeous spires of ice, she couldn't imagine it taking her anyplace more incredible. 

When she next emerged, she discovered she was totally wrong....

UIs9wVv.png

YdSUipX.png

cflmktB.png

Emiko was stunned... This whole world was green, like some huge and nasty swamp! Even the air was foul, and tasted dank and rotten thru her helmet filters. 

"This is much more bizarre than the last two places, Magic Boulder." Emiko said, turning to look around. Then she stopped, and gasped, and knew for certain she wasn't on her home world at all!

xaLR3QB.png

EPR9Xjy.png

"Magic Boulder..." Emiko whispered, "Is that... Sarnus? Are we around... Sarnus?"

But as incredible as the ringed planet was, what lay behind Emiko was completely indescribable, and when she turned to look, Emiko felt her knees go weak.

6cXUuck.png

MpmadyP.png

g9Ofrbj.png

"What in the....  it almost looks some sort of... well, a city. A vast emerald city. But what... how???" 

Emiko was a loss for words. Before her was what appeared to be some form of stone structures, stretching for hundreds of kilometers from a sort of central spire, and radiating in a vast circular pattern of alien design. In some places ridges towered above the rest, like some bizarre dorsal fins stretching for hundreds of kilometers into the putrid air. And between them were deep, dark pits of unknown horror.

It was monstrous beyond words... And Emiko wondered, if this was in fact a city, then it was large enough to house millions. 

But millions of what?

yBBhsAe.png

"Magic Boulder," Emiko whispered, "What could possibly live down there?"

As if in response, Emiko felt herself being lifted up and into the boulder once again.

iMn04dk.png

ufzSBrX.png

This time Emiko decided to try and talk to the Magic Boulder as she floated in the warm darkness, even though she knew a response was highly unlikely.

"I don't know exactly where we were the first 2 times, Magic Boulder, but that last time was definitely Sarnus. I know this is probably a dream, but if not, then how can you jump from planet to planet? Or moon? I'm pretty sure that last one was an undiscovered moon around Sarnus."

Emiko floated and pondered the question further. "I need to note the time when we get back... if we get back. Traveling below the speed of light to Sarnus and back would take time. And knowing that time I could calculate a speed."

But then she felt her skin tingling, and Emiko knew they had reached their next destination.

eQfmhmD.png

LIJEuGW.png

As soon as she hit the ground, Emiko looked over and knew for certain they were planet jumping.

"Jool..." she whispered in awe.

ZgIjMam.png

But when she looked in the other direction, her skin crawled with horror and revulsion. 

KBkG0nI.png

In front of her, maybe 100 meters or so, something squirmed and slithered... and crawled! Something from Emiko's deepest and most horrible nightmares....

It couldn't be.. but there it was... A Kraken!

And it was slowly turning towards them!

oxKYFKZ.png

9C05xjH.png

This time Emiko didn't wait for the Magic Boulder to lift her up. Without hesitation she turned and jumped, and willed it to take her away from this horrible place.

FesbiAG.png

cMQQUzk.png

EwzaisQ.png

Once she felt the safety of the floating darkness, Emiko tried to calm herself.

"Magic Boulder... it was a Kraken! There are so many myths and legends of them, but no-one has ever seen a live one. But if the stories are true, why around Jool? I feel you're trying to tell me something, Magic Boulder, but I have to admit, I'm very confused."

For an undeterminable period of time Emiko floated and ponder all she had seen, then one thing jumped out at her. "When we were around Sarnus, I asked what could live in that hideous city, and you took me to see a Kraken. Are you suggesting..."

But just then her skin began tingling, and she didn't have a chance to finish her question.

4BaBSwh.png

DsmkTta.png

This time, when Emiko landed, she felt herself bounce lightly, and thought to herself this time the gravity felt about right.

"We're on the Mun," she whispered, and looked around to find whatever it was the Magic Boulder brought her to see. And when she turned to her right, she wasn't disappointed, and let out a loud and excited gasp.

9e2lACr.png

"Magic Boulder... I... I've seen one of these before. Several of them, carved into the ruins I'm studying. It's... It's one of the floating saucer thingies!"

x5vuKDK.png

It was much larger than Emiko imagined, and she wanted to run over and examine it further, but before she could the Magic Boulder lifted her off her feet and into it.

I1ZVBNH.png

oFePi5L.png

"A saucer..." Emiko said out loud in the floating blackness. If that was a saucer, then it may just explain some of I've translated in the temple hieroglyphics. But people aren't going to like what they suggest." 

Emiko laughed. "Magic Boulder, I have to admit, this has been quite a dream. My only hope is that I remember it all when I wake up...."

"Boss... boss??? Professor Emiko? Are you awake? I brought coffee and breakfast snacks!"

77IShph.png

Hp4CxeX.png

Climbing to the top of the scaffolding, Bruberry and Thompington Kerman laughed.

"You were right, she fell asleep up here again," Bruberry giggled.

Hearing their voices, Emiko shook off her grogginess and stood up to see her assistants standing near her, grinning like idiots.

UWA7UTe.png

"OK," Emiko asked, "Why are you two so happy this morning?"

Bruberry practically squealed, "He... we....  Oh, professor, we're getting married!"

uTOlAxs.png

"I knew it... I knew it!" Emiko beamed. "You two are such a perfect couple! We should go down to the mushroom and celebrate!"

"Yes, lets!" Bruberry agreed.

But as they turned to go, Thompington stopped and looked at the strange crack Emiko had been studying the night before.

"Professor... what's that?"

"What's what?" Emiko asked.

"There... in that crack in the wall. There's something in there."

YB53XGE.png

Emiko bent down closer and saw what appeared to be an ancient book in the crack in the wall. But the night before the crack had been empty. She remembered looking into it right before the Magic Boulder.....

Bolting upright, Emiko felt her head swimming, and a cold tremor run down the length of her back. And she remembered. She remembered it all. Not a fuzzy kind of remembering, like one has when waking from a dream. This was real, with all the detail of a true, waking memory.

For several seconds Emiko thought she might faint.

LEdBWS1.png

Slowly she turned to her assistants and whispered.

"I... I think I need to tell you two something. But you have to promise... promise... not to ever tell a soul. Do you understand?"

"Yes, professor," Bruberry and Thompington answered in unison.

Emiko stood silent for a moment and tried to think of where to begin. "Last night... last night, I saw something."

rbcLZJh.png

The Tale of Emiko Kerman will continue...

Go to Chapter 56
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim
swapped a couple of pics, fixed a couple spelling goofs

Another excellent chapter sir! I felt just like Emiko did when you were describing the various planets and moons she visited. The terrain  on some of those screenshots is incredible! Are there huge spires and pits like that on stock KSP, or are these screenshots just on OPM planets/moons?

Edited by Jeb!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.