The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

OK, I got everything sorted and uploaded, but real life got in my way this afternoon, so I'll write the next chapter up tomorrow morning.

Until then here's one last teaser screenshot.  :wink:

Spoiler

rHzTvmV.png

Edited by Just Jim

Chapter 74
Pandora

It was a beautiful mid-morning at KASA. The sun was shining, the platypus's were chattering down by the beach, and high atop the vehicle assembly building, Emiko and Werhner von Kerman were playfully making bets on how long it would be before Gene Kerman jumped...

"Yes.... Yes..... yes, Ma'am..... ye.... y.... yes... No, Ma'am, I would never....... yes....."

3MbneGP.png

e97J7BJ.png

"Yes.... yes..." Gene stammered, "Ye.... no..... I... No, he promises it's safe... No, I'm not trying to contridic.... No, Ma'am"

"Wow," Emiko giggled. "Emiko says five more minutes tops..."

"You're on, my dear," von Kerman laughed. "I'll bet you a grilled cheese he makes it more than 5 minutes."

"Ye... Ye... No.... No, I'm.... No, ma''am" Gene sighed.

"Hmmm," von Kerman scowled playfully. "I'm not sure I'm going to win this."

vzlz68G.png

Just then Werhner's K-pad chirped. 

"Final checks are complete, all systems are go." von Kerman read off the screen "I'd better call our fly-boy back."

xhTo4uO.png

Out on the island airbase, Angelo Kerman had just finished a delicious cheese brunch with Summer and Stardust Kerman, when his K-pad chirped.

"15 minutes until launch." Stardust sighed. "Must you leave?"

"Yes, must you?" Summer also sighed.

"I'm afraid duty calls, ladies." Angelo grinned as he walked over to his latest project, the JetWing, and began strapping it on.

BxyyzOm.png

5JSbdgs.png

wdGdWRU.png

"Ladies, I want to thank you for a delightful time." 

And with that he hit the JetWing throttle and lifted up and off the airstrip like some great blue bird sailing into the vast sky!

LipXFj3.png

h70j99n.png

8UwmxAF.png

"Woohoo!" he cried as he spun into a looping turn over the airbase and headed back towards the space center. 

bFMNDRX.png

nPm6Ncw.png

It only took a couple minutes before the beach came into view, and Angelo spied the small base they had constructed there a few days earlier.

QOmbArx.png

xkcRDUp.png

"How weird," he thought as he flew over the small dome. "A... ghost?"

Once the dome had been erected it was also put off limits to all personnel but Geschosskopf and Emiko Kerman, and a... ghost? Angelo hadn't actually seen Sanny yet, and was having a hard time believing she really existed. But before he had a chance to dwell on it, he was passing over the launch pad, and his pride and joy, the newest addition to the KASA fleet: the Pandora.

6w9Z3YC.png

xQcSdxZ.png

Angelo was still amazed at how fast the KASA engineers were able to assemble it. True, it was a retrofitted buffalo rover, and was more a case of rearranging parts rather than building them from scratch. But still, the speed was astounding, and Angelo knew he had made the right decision temporarily leaving Wild Blue for KASA.

Now over the VAB, Angelo pulled the JetWing up hard into a vertical climb while throttling back, then slowly descended onto the roof, where Emiko and Werhner were waiting.

5eIuhxZ.png

ifd22l9.png

ot4VUXU.png

QfWQRDh.png

"Emiko SO wants to go next!" Emiko cried out as Angelo walked over to them. "Please? Can Emiko fly around? Please???"

"Yes," Angelo beamed, then turned to Werhner. "Your engineers have done a magnificent job, doctor...... Wait... is she still lecturing him?"

xRaqYX5.png

V4YVVdi.png

"Yes.... yes... ma'am..... I.... I..... yes ma'am.... Goodbye ma....." Gene sighed and switched off his headset, then turned to the others.

"Rats," Emiko frowned playfully. "Emiko lost bet. Werhner darling want grilled cheese for lunch or dinner?"

"Dinner. Are you alright, my friend?" Werhner asked. "That was... impressive... to say the least. I didn't know the Grand Kerbal could yell so loud. Truth was, we could hear her from way over here."

77epXIV.png

Xctc4wC.png

Gene stood and tried to regain his composure before turning to Angelo with a sad smile.

"I tried... I really tried. But she just won't listen." Gene shook his head in frustration. "I can't convince her your fusion reactor's are different. To her a reactor is a reactor is a reactor, and all pose a threat to her people. I should have expected this, it took forever to get approval for the NERV project, and she only gave the final OK when she learned they could only be used off planet."

"I see," Angelo sighed.

"But it's not all bad," Gene continued. "When I told her of the need to handle the equipment delicately, she backed off of imposing a time limit, so we can proceed at a safe pace. And while I told her the hammerhead project required 6 reactor elements, I may have left out the small detail of us only having 3 assembled. So if we keep this to ourselves, we may be able to assemble the remaining three here and not in orbit."

"Oh, thank you!!!" Angelo cried, but was cut off by the KASA PA system.

"T-minus 60 seconds..."

"Oh, launch time!" Emiko cried, running to the edge of the building. "Emiko loves this part!"

2gPwiau.png

High above the launch pad, secured tightly into their seats, Piper and Kerenna Kerman were completely focused and waiting out the last few seconds. Behind them in the passenger section were Kuzzter and Chuck Kerman, as well as Frannie and the Rocklady, all strapped into this radically new ship and ready to go.

gy65ovB.png

bdFT21u.png

EKgIpqb.png

"10.... 9.... 8.... 7....."

Ga5l2EY.png

"3... 2... 1..... ignition... liftoff!"

Lb1OrTm.png

hROeVxc.png

jt3F1gN.png

"That was SOOOO cool!" Angelo screamed over the roar of the engines, and wiped away a tear as he watched his baby climb higher and higher.

wrcto4k.png

Booster separation went perfectly, and within seconds the Pandora was leaving the atmosphere. 

IHfSAGt.png

9OQbEUC.png

ebvaMDe.png

IQ6KlhO.png

But as the final boosters ejected and fell behind the Pandora, there was a sudden and weird sort of vibration.... 

MOXi0FY.png

TyUAYLd.png

"Did you hear something?" Kerenna asked Piper, unable to see what had happened.

"I'm not sure." Piper answered back. "I... I think the boosters may have collided and exploded. It happens."

m8kQ6cW.png

Without further delay Piper began to bring the ship systems online. This was a whole new cockpit design, but much like the buffalo rovers, and she was already impressed with the ships responsiveness. She just hoped it would be enough...

ZEm8Y0B.png

XtPntgn.png

Officially their mission was to investigate Emiko Station and report any findings. Unofficially... well, unofficially they had another top-secret mission, known only to one member of her crew, Kuzzter Kerman, and he was under strict orders not to divulge any information until the proper time, if and when that occurs.

The other secret aspect to this mission, one that made Piper's stomach queasy and her skin crawl, was to pick up Thompberry and bring him along. Uggg, Piper hated the idea. But dispite her objections, they needed him and his insight, and he could prove to be a valuable asset. But he could also prove to be a deadly threat, and this is why Kerenna insisted she also come along, arguing she was the only one that could talk him down if something went wrong. Gene was furious, but in the end couldn't argue with her logic, and grudgingly relented.

But Piper was ready this time, and if that pickled abomination caused any trouble, well.... she was ready....

Just then the proximity alarms went off, and Piper knew they were approaching the Diamondback, and Thompberry Kerman.

38RpHJQ.png

w7ymEua.png

"Thompberry. Thompberry, can you hear me?" Kerenna called over the ship's radio.

"Yes... yes <bubble gurgle> It is good to hear your voice, Kerenna Kerman. <bubble gurgle> How may I help you?"

"OK, knock off the gurgling, bubble-brain." Piper called out in exasperation. "Kay already told us your faking it!"

"Why, Piper Kerman... darling! Are you over there as well? I'm honored!"

"Darling???" Piper screamed. "Why you monstrous..."

"Piper, stop!" Kerenna interrupted. "He's just baiting you. Thompberry, behave! This is serious."

"Ahhh, I suppose." Thompberry chuckled. "But again I ask, how may I be of assistance?"

Kerenna looked at Piper, who just glared and nodded for her to proceed.

"We want you to come with us to Emiko Station."

4ny2Km7.png

pbjE84O.png

For several seconds Thompberry was silent. Then when he did answer, there was an odd reluctance in is voice.

"You seriously mean to go back? It could prove to be..... unfortunate."

"We know," Kerenna whispered. "But we have to know what's happening. And you understand these boulder things better than any of us. Please, will you join us?"

"You wish my... advice?"

"Yes, please."

"Very well. Perhaps I can keep you and my sweet, beautiful Piper out of trouble."

Piper looked she was about to explode, but somehow managed to contain herself and called out instead.

"Then get over here... thing!"

And without another word Thompberry undocked himself from the Diamondback and settled down onto the Pandora docking port that had been prepared for him.

74vvUCb.png

TkfpKHJ.png

lz8aA4H.png

But as he locked himself in place, Thompberry let out a mighty laugh.

"Oh, Piper... my sweet.... Presents for me??? You are brilliant!"

"You see them, do you Thingberry?"

E5rK7JI.png

Cy27mqL.png

"See what?" Kerenna was suddenly worried. "Piper... what have you done?"

"Calm yourself, Kerenna. My dearest Piper has attached some explosive charges onto my docking port. And I am assuming there is a large red button somewhere in the cockpit she's just waiting to press. Am I correct, beautiful Piper?"

"Yes... yes, you are quite correct," Piper answered coldly. "One false move and I won't just undock you, I'll blow you a thousand klicks from the ship."

"Piper... no..." Kerenna whispered in horror.

"Yes!" Piper turned on her friend. "I will. Kay.... please.... I am responsible for everyone on board, and we had to take precautions."

"We? Oh... oh, no... did... did Gene approve this?"

Piper's silence was all the answer Kerenna needed, and she was afraid she might start crying when Thompberry spoke up with a laugh.

"Do not be upset, Kerenna Kerman, I will not cause any trouble, and therefor give Piper no reason to press her little button. Now, shall we proceed?"

And without another word, Piper laid in an intercept course and headed out to Emiko Station.

NLRNKJm.png

For the next few hours Kerenna did her level best to keep the peace. But Thompberry seemed to take great joy in tormenting Piper, and at one point it got so bad Kerenna just shook her head and climbed into the back cabin to take nap and wait until the two of them had worn themselves out. Then, not soon enough for Kerenna, the arguing suddenly stopped, and Piper called back that she had Emiko Station in sight.

xzfXsBR.png

Piper brought the Pandora to a distance of 2000 meters, then matched Emiko's course and speed, and in a much more serious tone called to Thompberry. 

"I believe this would be a good time to take a look."

"Agreed, Piper Kerman." And with that Thompberry engaged the Pandora's space telescope. But when it came online Thompberry gasped.

"Woah....."

kzL9ABj.png

GrL5fdS.png

"Are you alright, Thompberry?" Kerenna asked. "Is something wrong?

"Yes... no... I mean I'm alright... wow," Thompberry answered softly. "Imagine, if you will, having your eyes suddenly replaced with really powerful binoculars.... This.. this is quite unexpected... and delightful!"

sAAfnRM.png

"I have a visual... transmitting to your monitors now."

bJ9pXyf.png

dzYueb3.png

"I'm not picking anything up... no anomalous readings, no discrepancies. Everything appears normal."

"Agreed," Piper replied, "Kerenna?"

"Power levels reading normal, life support normal, computer on standby. Other than a slight tilt, everything reads normal here as well. I wonder why it's tilting?"

"Unknown.... weird," Piper mused "I'm moving in for a closer look"

Slowly, cautiously, Piper brought the Pandora to within 50 meters of the huge asteroid and again matched speed and then called out.

"Thompberry, are we close enough for the chem-cam?"

"We are, dearest. Kindly hold the ship as still as you can for a few seconds."

"Gaaaaa... I wish he'd stop doing that!" Piper whispered under her breath, then responded coldly. "Affirmative."

"Deploying chem-cam now... steady... steady.... firing laser... now!"

XoPtOL8.png

5ZF1pIw.png

drXWXxS.png

Kerenna couldn't help but wince a little, but several seconds passed and nothing happened. High atop the Pandora, however, Thompberry's processors were screaming with an influx of conflicting data.

"Oh myyyy.... what is this???"

"Thompberry?" Kerenna asked, concerned. "What is it?"

"The readings... this is totally unexpected. I... Kerenna, I have to admit, I'm not sure what I'm seeing. I need time to process this."

"Well, while you do that," Piper reached down and engaged the auto dock sequence. "I'm going to dock and take a look around."

"No!" Thompberry cried out. "No, do not!"

"What? Why?" Piper asked. "What are you, scared?"

"Well..." Thompberry hesitated a moment. "Yes, I am... Not for myself, but for you, Piper. And everyone else."

Piper was confused... "Explain."

"I'm not sure... in fact I could be totally wrong. But if this data is correct, then Emiko Station is literally seething with gravioli particles... a higher concentration than I've ever seen, or even knew was possible!"

"Wait..." Kerenna interrupted. "My gravioli detector is reading zero. How is that possible?"

"Ahhh, this is where things get a little... bizarre, Kerenna. I'm not picking them up either on the standard particle reader. But the chem-cam is different in how it operates; shooting a small laser at a target, in this case Emiko Asteroid, and analyzing the resulting reaction. And that analysis is reading massive amounts of gravioli particles. At this point I can only theorize... somehow the particles are trapped inside the rock itself... although I cannot explain how this could be possible."

"So wait..." Kerenna was stunned. "Does this mean Emiko Asteroid really is a Magic Boulder?"

"Not like the green Magic Boulder, no. At this point I still believe Emiko Asteroid more resembles a floating gravioli boulder of immense size. But there are some distinct differences there as well. I do not mean to sound vague, but I am truly puzzled by this, and need time to sort and collate the data. Until then, for your own safety, I think it unwise to dock to that asteroid."

"Well... I hate to have to agree with you, pickle-brain," Piper sighed. "But it does sound like a wise precaution. However, I want to go take a look around."

"That should be safe enough, Piper dearest, but do not linger. I cannot bear the thought of something happening to you...."

"Shut-up... I'll be back in 5 minutes. Chuck, suit up, you're with me."

C157ZT1.png

kqR0Hpt.png

As they floated over to her home, Piper was overcome by a powerful feeling of homesickness, and was thankful no-one could see her crying.

mPlDDv2.png

048AldV.png

Once inside Piper crawled to the command pod while Chick did a quick visual walk thru, then joined her with his report.

"Everything is as it should be. It's just so... quiet. I miss her."

"So do I," Piper whispered as she read over the station monitors. "So do I."

fa5BvRm.png

Piper checked everything one more time, then switched the station back to stand-by.

"OK, I'm not finding anything. Let's get back to the ship."

7zzWE16.png

As Piper was crawling back into her seat, Kerenna looked over at her and said sadly.

"It seems so... lonely."

"Yeah, you felt it too?" Piper choked. "Let's get out of here. Plot a course for the Mun, would you, dear?"

"Gladly, darling," Thompberry interrupted with a laugh.

"NOT YOU!!! Oh, never mind... let's just go, please?

K5H3hER.png

A couple hours later, after a brief nap, Piper woke to Kerenna's voice over the intercom. 

"Mun orbit achieved, awaiting orders."

"Plot a course for the old Munbase," Piper answered as she rubbed the sleep from here eyes. "I'll be right up."

FRDEktD.png

A few minutes later Piper called to the back.

"Buckle up everyone, beginning decent in 5... 4... 3... 2...." 

G8is6hl.png

dXDqwEb.png

"Radiator panels deployed, vipers holding at 70%," Kerenna yelled over the roar of the engines. "All systems look good. Ready to switch to lateral thrusters on your command."

Piper watched the altitude until they were at 1000 meters, then killed the main engines and called out. "Switching to laterals... NOW!"

6365ATn.png

dYZdAt9.png

AGbYrSd.png

rHzTvmV.png

"Laterals engaged, decent speed 5 meters per second and holding." Kerenna smiled. "All systems green." 

"Outstanding," Piper smiled back. "Swinging around to heading 270. Estimate landing in 20 seconds... 19... 18...."

7kCUJxl.png

yzCl87k.png

aqdPli7.png

The landing was perfect, and for a few seconds Piper just sat back and relaxed. 

"I like this ship..." 

3AMqdHB.png

Once they had disembarked, Piper and the Rocklady headed over to the colony wreckage while Kuzzter and Chuck went to inspect the remains of the Chariot. Kerenna in the meantime stayed back with Thompberry, and Frannie checked the ship over, and prepared the drills for refueling.

jQ5YXA2.png

AE3fgv1.png

At first glance everything seemed as it was when they had left, until Piper and the Rocklady took a closer look.... and Piper gasped in surprise.

"These fuel tanks... they're empty!"

3uOEVu7.png

tlbc29p.png

From the Chariot wreckage, Kuzzter called out.

"Same here... this vehicle is bone dry."

yw2wPQr.png

"That can't be..." Frannie radioed from the Pandora. "We were over half full. Is there any sigh of a leak?"

"No... nothing," Kuzzter answered. "I think... I believe someone has beaten us here.... and I'm betting I know who."

"That's it, then," Piper said as she and the Rocklady swung their jet-pack controls up, and lifted off towards the Pandora. "Everyone back to the ship."

"One minute, Captain," Kuzzter replied. "I need to check one more thing."

"Understood, but make it fast.. what the???"

As she drew close, Piper spied Kerenna atop the Pandora and fiddling with... with Thompberry's brainpod???"

"Kerenna Kerman," Piper shouted. "What are you doing, girl?"

SbkZTfC.png

"I gave him new lens lights... aren't they cool?"

"You gave... " Piper sputtered with rage... "How... WHY???? What are you thinking??? You... You're upgrading him???"

"Yup, his old ones were gross," Kerenna smiled. "I promised him before I left if I saw him again I'd bring along some new ones."

"No... NO!!!" Piper could barely contain herself. "Kerenna... sister... he's evil... EVIL!  You can't be upgrading him!"

"But... Piper... he's not. Not really.... Tell her, Thompberry... Thompberry?"

8xohl23.png

For a minute there was silence, and Kerenna began to worry, when suddenly Thompberry chuckled softly, almost to himself.....

"Gotcha..."

Dz9cnLY.png

For a moment a horrible chill went down Piper's back, until Thompberry unexpectedly called out.

"Captain Kuzzter, do you read?"

"Kuzzter here." 

"Captain, target acquired... repeat, your target has been acquired. Distance: approximately 200 kilometers, bearing 110.5 degrees."

"Understood," Kuzzter replied, reaching into his backpack and removing a small device which he hurriedly attached to the Chariot. Without hesitation he pushed a small button on the device, then jetted back towards the Pandora with a devious smile on his face.

XE6ytXd.png

Once he had reached a safe distance, Kuzzter stopped and turned to watch the Chariot, silently counting down in his head.

"3... 2... 1"

Ajyi4m3.png

R10YWLd.png

SKM5Eqx.png

Woah... did he have to blow it up?" Kerenna whispered.

"Yes... yes, he did." Thompberry replied. "If this Carlenna and her minions have been taken by Krakens, and are now scavenging fuel and other parts for them, then we must not leave anything for them to scavenge."

Kuzzter and Chuck then jetted over to the remains of the colony base, placed two timed charges, and moved back to a safe distance to watch.

6iBlos2.png

617Utij.png

r2rmd87.png

5rr1ov2.png

p7bTPgR.png

Once the dust had settled Chuck headed back to the Pandora while Kuzzter did a quick inspection of the remains.

Xx7Iwl4.png

aGq2Ct0.png

VDMwpEc.png

Finding only a couple of landing gears and wheels, he then headed back to the Pandora.

"Some really tough wheels, but nothing of any value." 

As soon as he was seated, Kuzzter hit the ships intercom.

kitlghA.png

"Captain Piper, lass, I believe you were briefed on my part of this mission?"

"Only in part, sir. If and when certain circumstances arise I am to give you every cooperation."

"Excellent, lass, excellent," Kuzzter collected his thoughts a moment before continuing. "I believe those circumstances have arisen, and I am now assuming command of this phase of our mission."

"Understood, sir," Piper responded without hesitation. "Your orders?"

"Thompberry has fed our target's coordinates into your nav computer. I need you to plot a course, please, while I explain to you all just why we are really here."

Jiz9G5X.png

FGt9AR2.png

"My friends," Kuzzter smiled wickedly. "We're going saucer hunting..."

37MrYSh.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the Tale of Emiko Kerman, are far, far from over....

Go to Chapter 75
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim
a few small goofs

Another great chapter. Loved the whole jetpack thing, the demolition of equipment using the plastic explosives. was that the VDS Hull Camera mod you're using for the external shots that were in the Buffalo cockpit?

Love the craft redesign... can't wait to see the next chapter.

10 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Another great chapter. Loved the whole jetpack thing, the demolition of equipment using the plastic explosives. was that the VDS Hull Camera mod you're using for the external shots that were in the Buffalo cockpit?

Love the craft redesign... can't wait to see the next chapter.

I believe the cameras came with the RPM mod. She has 4 actually: forward, rear, belly and Thompberry... :)

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

hmmm. ThompCam. :) Love the ship, it reminds me a bit of this one:

So do I... :)

From a players POV, it's one of the nicest I've made yet. Really maneuverable, lots of fuel, and easy to dock. Oh, and some extra inventory space in back... :wink:

Took quite a while to everything balanced right, but I'm really happy with how it came out.

37 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

PLATYPUSES! (Platypi? Platypeople?)

I was really tempted to include that line... :D

14 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I love you.

Also, my first chapter to read in a while, and you've really perfected your classic cliffhangers! Well done Jim!

Awww, thanks... 

40 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Angelo's jetpack was definitel inpired by that of "Rocket Man" Yves Rossy, any denial of that is futile :sticktongue:

Well, the title of the Buffalo thread is "[1.2] Buffalo 1.1.0: NASA Inspired MSEV, & fly like "JetMan" Yves Rossy with the JetWing!" so...

2 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Angelo's jetpack was definitel inpired by that of "Rocket Man" Yves Rossy, any denial of that is futile :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Well, the title of the Buffalo thread is "[1.2] Buffalo 1.1.0: NASA Inspired MSEV, & fly like "JetMan" Yves Rossy with the JetWing!" so...

Y'all should try it out, it's a riot to fly once you get the hang of it!  :cool:

16 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I was really tempted to include that line... :D 

And while we're on the subject of Platypuses (Platypi? Platypeople?), I've perfected a Perry-style Piper theme song... 

Spoiler

PREPARE FOR THE EPICNESS! 

Spoiler

She's a spacefaring, BadS Kerbal of action...

She's a spacesuit-wearing Kerbal, who can talk to rocks... 

SHE'S GOT MORE THAN JUST MAD SKILLS! 

SHE'S GOT A BADS FLAG AND A GRIN! 

And all the Kerbals swoon whenever they hear her say,

"MY NAME IS PIPER!"

SHE'S PIPER! PIPER THE KERBAL! (But you can call her Agent K) 

PIPER! (I said, you can call her Agent K)

A-GENT K!

Edited by KAL 9000

12 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Now that the aviators have made an appearance you should get some glasses for Wernher. Poor guy is probably half blind without 'em. 

I've looked, but can't find any yet. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would gladly add them! I would also give Captain @Kuzzter a calvary hat if I can find one... :cool:

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

And while we're on the subject of Platypuses (Platypi? Platypeople?), I've perfected a Perry-style Piper theme song... 

Reveal hidden contents

PREPARE FOR THE EPICNESS! 

Reveal hidden contents

She's a spacefaring, BadS Kerbal of action...

She's a spacesuit-wearing Kerbal, who can talk to rocks... 

SHE'S GOT MORE THAN JUST MAD SKILLS! 

SHE'S GOT A BADS FLAG AND A GRIN! 

And all the Kerbals swoon whenever they hear her say,

"MY NAME IS PIPER!"

SHE'S PIPER! PIPER THE KERBAL! (But you can call her Agent K) 

PIPER! (I said, you can call her Agent K)

A-GENT K!

I love it!!!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I've looked, but can't find any yet. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would gladly add them!

I use the "Black Shades" from Pro Props and edit the texture so that the glass is clear. 

It's close enough for me.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the actual glasses are in the game asset files, but I've never stumbled on them while rooting around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.