The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

3 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Now that Just Jim has Tweakscale...heheheh...

hehehe... I'm wondering if this is how Thompberry sometimes thinks of himself... lmao...

8 hours ago, Garrett Kerman said:

MOLE?

9 hours ago, obney kerman said:

Brumby?

Yes and yes... cute little bugger, ain't she... :wink:

50 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

am I the only one who is still wondering about that grand tour contract from the beginning?

About that.... I'm at a sort of crossroads.

Because of changes in the game over the last year, I've altered the plot and final outcome so much that it's not really relevant anymore. So I have a couple options. I could write it out of the story easy enough considering the one who originally issued it, Parka B. Kerman, is somewhat "out of sorts" so to speak. But y'all know me, I love a challenge, and I don't like just giving up on it.

I've been thinking it thru, and there may be one way I could possibly still do it, and have it work into the story. I have to really plan this carefully, but I might still be able to make it work.

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

About that.... I'm at a sort of crossroads.

Because of changes in the game over the last year, I've altered the plot and final outcome so much that it's not really relevant anymore. So I have a couple options. I could write it out of the story easy enough considering the one who originally issued it, Parka B. Kerman, is somewhat "out of sorts" so to speak. But y'all know me, I love a challenge, and I don't like just giving up on it.

I've been thinking it thru, and there may be one way I could possibly still do it, and have it work into the story. I have to really plan this carefully, but I might still be able to make it work.

Why not have the kerbals with the magic boulders chase the kraken all over the system and that could solve the issue with that contract and the contract could allow new parts to be allowed by the grand kerbal herself

Sooooo, is Thompberry still the bad guy?  it's clear that the Kraken Lord is the main baddie, but Thomp has been redeeming himself lately.  Oh yeah, and he's going to get a CAMEO in my story.  look out for that!  Now don't worry, he's just a power source lol, but...yep.

Hey, sorry everyone, I had to do some R/L stuff today. :/

But I just got the screenshots for the next chapter uploaded, and I'll get it written up in the morning.  :D

5 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Sooooo, is Thompberry still the bad guy?  it's clear that the Kraken Lord is the main baddie, but Thomp has been redeeming himself lately.  

yeah... he's sort of come over to the good side... at least for now. But there are a few, like Piper, who refuse to turn their backs on him.  :wink:

5 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Oh yeah, and he's going to get a CAMEO in my story.  look out for that!  Now don't worry, he's just a power source lol, but...yep.

Awesome!  I'll watch for it.  :)

22 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

Why not have the kerbals with the magic boulders chase the kraken all over the system and that could solve the issue with that contract and the contract could allow new parts to be allowed by the grand kerbal herself

Well, the problem with using Magic Boulders to do the challenge is it would be technically cheating... unless I strap an engine onto one and fly it around the solar system. And even I did... which might be kinda cool.... I'm not sure if the contract would be valid.

I just had a brainstorm...

Piper: Thompberry, I know it is you who continually promotes evil. I could never join you...

Thompberry: Piper, soon you will come to know the true power of the krackens. Piper, I am the future of Kerbin...

Piper: NOOOO!

18 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Well, the problem with using Magic Boulders to do the challenge is it would be technically cheating... unless I strap an engine onto one and fly it around the solar system. And even I did... which might be kinda cool.... I'm not sure if the contract would be valid.

@JustJim No one said it had to be done legally and the contract holder can't defend it for himself because he is possessed by a kraken just kidding.

Edited by Buzz light fear
Forgot something

Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun
But Mama..... that's where the fun is......
                                                                                                 Manfred Mann "Blinded by the Light" (written by Bruce Springsteen)

Chapter 78
Blinded by the Light

Nearly two days had passed since the Pandora had left for home after their adventure on the Mun. Kerbin Station was just coming into visual range, and Piper Kerman was finally starting to relax. A little....

gidlpsg.png

pLX9dzq.png

For the last two days Piper had been on edge, wondering if and when something might go horribly wrong. But the trip home had been uneventful, and if these Kraken.... things.... had been responsible for reactivating the Gamma saucer, they hadn't sought to retaliate in any way for it's destruction. Hopefully Kuzzter's little ploy had worked, and it appeared to these Kraken-things the saucers demise was caused by some sort of internal malfunction... hopefully. It had been rather clever, but Krakens were supposed to be devious... at least the fairy tale version... and inside Piper had her doubts. 

But now she had other things to worry about, and watched her fuel gauges carefully while Thompberry scanned ahead with the telescope for the station, painfully aware the Pandora was running on fumes, both for the engines and the thrusters, and it would be really, really close. 

VFp2xfN.png

Just then Thompberry locked onto the station with the Pandora's on board telescope and began to zoom in, and let out a hearty laugh.

"Ahhhh, busy, busy little bees. Piper Kerman, behold... I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised."

zMswx58.png

Piper switched her dash monitor over to the camera, and let out a whoop of relief...

"New fuel pods??? FUEL PODS!!!" She laughed. "Oh, thank the gods..... they have fuel!!!"

qvgyM9b.png

1B04xbU.png

As they drew closer a familiar voice rang out from the Pandora's speakers.

"Pandora, I have you on my screens. You are clear to dock on the forward port.... Welcome to New Kerbin Station."

mXjGZjC.png

"Captain Zelcia?" Kerenna called out. "Zee-Cee??? You're back in orbit!!!"

"Yes, Kerenna, we're back on station." Captain Zelcia replied. "And we've been waiting for you!"

"I see..." Kerenna said as the Pandora drew closer. "How did you get all this done so fast?"

"Well, you have been gone for several days, and most of this was already set to launch," Zelcia explained as Piper set the Pandora controls to automatic, "So once our... poltergeist... began behaving herself, we were able to add the fuel pods at a rate of one every two days, and finished up just yesterday."

"Ahhh... I... seeeeee............... wooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.........................." Kerenna screamed and laughed as the Pandora suddenly spun around and re-positioned itself for a rear docking.

FedO6YP.png

Y8SeoGD.png

hxDvaHs.png

Ud8cxFL.png

"OK, that was really fun," Kerenna giggled as the Pandora straightened itself out and zeroed in on the station docking port, and closing in with nearly flawless precision.

gfyvW9B.png

s6QXYXZ.png

E7L2cE2.png

Inside the Pandora cockpit Thompberry switched onto one of the dashboard monitors.

"Well done, darling Piper, well done."

"Thank you, Thompberry," Piper replied, then laughed, "But I told you, don't call me darling unless you have flowers..."

mbSHM3b.png

Once the Pandora was secure and was beginning to refuel, Kerenna crawled over to visit with Zelcia, while Chuck and Kuzzter began the delicate task of transferring the damaged saucer probe from the Pandora to the capsule that had been sent up for the last leg of their journey home.

I8zDMwi.png

8KRw3uH.png

lt4KOvy.png

MHSzofH.png

There was no two ways about it, it was awkward, but Kuzzter and Chuck were careful, and somehow managed to get the job done without taking out a solar panel or three, and were soon back inside the station to relax and enjoy a job well done.

Kerenna, however, was a little bummed out, having just learned Gene wouldn't be there to great her when they splashed down. She knew things like this happened when one is engaged to the boss, and she did her best to put on a happy face. But inside she was a little disappointed, and also a little worried for Gene's safety. His mission was a last minute thing, and also classified. But Zelcia had heard that he and Angelo Kerman had hopped into a rover and headed off to the old Zaltonic Space Center..... and that was enough to make Kerenna a little fearful.

But there was nothing she could do at the moment, so she turned her attention back to prepping the return ship and waiting until they were in the right position for re-entry.... and privately planning her wedding over and over in her head.

A7G5f7G.png

Meanwhile, at the old Zaltonic Space Center, now renamed Baikerbanur Center, Kerbol was rising over the eastern hills, and had she known the details, Kerenna wouldn't have been worried about Gene at all... although she might have been a little jealous that he and Angelo had been invited to view a private launching.

H8Bz16Y.png

hPmObVv.png

MqbaLEZ.png

"I... I want to thank you for inviting me along," Gene said to Angelo as the final seconds ticked away. "I know it must be a little weird for you."

"10..... 9..... 8...." screamed the launchpad loudspeakers.

Yes, Angelo knew how secretive Zaltonic could be, and that a senior KASA representative had never been allowed to view such a launch. But Angelo had designed this rocket for Zaltonic, so when they had reached out to him to attend the launching, he convinced the Zaltonic flunkie to agree that he could bring along one assistant... without checking first to see who that assistant was... and then he couldn't resist having a little fun at their expense.

"....7... 6.... 5....."

"Not at all," Angelo laughed. "The looks on their faces was more than worth it, my friend!"

"....4.... 3.... 2... 1..... Ignition..... and we have liftoff!!!"

owVu5F7.png

1gQBi7s.png

QDLRiyp.png

"I'll be..." Gene shouted over the roar... "It didn't blow up!"

And it didn't. In fact, the launch was perfect, and within just seconds the boosters had cleanly separated, and the mighty rocket was climbing higher and higher into the morning sky.

RdXsnhu.png

isT89nJ.png

"OK, I have to admit, that was pretty," Angelo grinned. "But we've had our fun. Perhaps we should slip quietly away while we're ahead?"

"Agreed," Gene said, looking up at the morning sun, "It's still early enough, let's go say our mandatory goodbyes and get moving before something goes wrong."

And just minutes later the two were back aboard the Buffalo explorer and headed over the hills to the east of Baikerbanur and home.

CcwbWd3.png

VzNqfh2.png

The surrounding hills and mountains were quite beautiful, and neither Gene or Angelo said much for the first 100 kilometers or so. Instead they just sat back and enjoyed the view.

RAJdTGC.png

Nb52H2M.png

But then the serenity was interrupted by a call from the KSC mission control, informing Gene that Kuzzter and Kerenna's ship was preparing to leave Kerbin station, and was scheduled to splashdown off the KSC coast just before sunset, their time.

"You took a huge risk," Angelo said, looking over at Gene. "And if I may be so bold, why did you trust that crazy ghost? She could just have easily gotten everyone killed. How did you know she would cooperate"

g9eysn1.png

GTXkPRM.png

"Just between you and me, I didn't trust her," Gene smiled back. "But when Emiko mentioned to Sanny that the saucer we were after could be connected to the same ones that separated her from her monolith on Ovok, she was quite eager to help. Afterwords, our best people examined that virus she made for us, and said it was nothing short of vicious, and should be handled with extreme care. So it was hoped we could use it to incapacitate the saucer without totally destroying it. But we also had a couple, shall we say, contingency plans, just in case."

"Oh?"

Oh, yes," Gene smiled slyly. "I'm not sending my friends, and especially not my own fiancee, into harms way without any sort of backup plan. In fact, I didn't want her going at all. But she insisted. Anyway, with Thompberry on board, the Pandora itself is a powerful weapon, and could have easily redirected anything the saucer threw at it tenfold, frying every circuit inside it to a crisp. And if things became really desperate, Captain Kuzzter had several magnetic charges rigged with timers, and was prepared... well, to do what was necessary. Which, thankfully, it wasn't."

Y8iLz56.png

"I see," Angelo smiled, then looked down at his GPS, a little confused. "We're headed north? Not northeast?"

"Yup," Gene said as he turned the rover, "There's something I've always wanted to see, and if we're lucky, we should make it just around sunset."

"OK, fine by me," Angelo grinned. "So now that the saucer is taken care of, what's next?"

cZEPDXh.png

"Well..." Gene stammered... "This is the thing. The Grand Kerbal called right before we left the KSC. Her Majesty... bless her.... has added another stipulation into the mix."

"Oh, no..."

"Oh, yeah," Gene frowned. "Once she learned we're moving your reactors to Emiko Station, and not the Mun or Minmus, she decided... for safety reasons... that we should devise a new way to move the station itself."

"She wants us to move Emiko Station?" Angelo gasped. 

"No... thankfully," Gene smiled weakly. "We don't have to actually move it. At least not yet. But despite the fact your fusion reactors pose no threat to the planet, she wants us to design some sort of new super-engine.... something capable of moving the entire asteroid if necessary. As impossible as that sounds."

Y8iLz56.png

"I see...." Angelo whispered. "it... it may not be quite so impossible... I've been working out a theory for a new fusion engine, something I like to call the Supernova. But mind you, it's just a theory, and more than a little crazy, even by my standards. Recently the Waxon-Waxoff Corporation developed a line of super electromagnets, capable of focusing their power into a crushing blow that could potentially fuse one of my fusion pellets into white hot plasma. That plasma could then, theoretically, be mixed with propellant pumped through the engine's center, and then ejected out of a magnetic nozzle to produce an astounding amount of thrust."

"OK, you lost me about halfway through that," Gene smiled. "But I'm going to assume you mean it's a really big, powerful super-engine? Big enough to move a 3,000 ton asteroid around?" 

"Theoretically.... yes. I think it could," Angelo seemed to be drifting off, and it was clear the Gene his mind was furiously racing with possibilities. "And much, much more efficiently than conventional liquid fuel engines. In fact...."

Throughout the afternoon and into late evening Gene and Angelo talked of plans for redesigning Emiko Station. Not just adding a new reactor and prototype super-engine, but also the habitats, labs, storage and cargo, and everything else needed to make it all possible. The project would be huge, and the logistics a nightmare, but the more Gene listened, the more he realized he needed Angelo himself to head this massive project. Not only did he have the intelligence and vision, and the slightly insane imagination, to accomplish something like this, he was also young and strong and ambitious.... and as much as Gene hated to admit it, he didn't want his old friend Werhner back in space anytime soon, not after what he'd been through. 

And before they knew it, the sun was setting in the western hills, and they were less than 100km from Gene's destination.

UMfs19N.png

jj7tikn.png

N8xKCQs.png

"It's getting dark, but we're really close," Angelo said, looking up at his readouts. "Shall we press on?"

"Definitely," Gene agreed. "We're too close to stop now."

a3XXAIZ.png

ek9gMRQ.png

Not long after, as the stars began to pop out in the night sky, the Buffalo drew up to a large canyon, and Gene smiled.

"We made it."

zxFFksU.png

XbpEMdc.png

Gene double checked his GPS, then carefully started down the side to a small land bridge stretching across the shallow river at the canyon bottom, and Angelo let out a gasp.

"Is... Is this??? Are we where I think we are?"

YiRKD6j.png

YiRKD6j.png

6AE3ei5.png

sfxaCF3.png

Gene said nothing, instead focusing on getting them to the bottom in one piece. Then just as silently he climbed out of the Buffalo and looked around.

HnaRzyl.png

1VrFpkt.png

"This... this is where it all really started," Gene whispered. "Where my sweet, brave Kerenna brought that first saucer to met with Jeb and his crew, all those long years ago... right on this very spot. I know it was a little out of our way, but I've always wanted to see it."

"No need to explain," Angelo whispered back. "I'm glad we came, it's so calm.. so quiet...."

Just then the loud beeping of an incoming call came from inside the buffalo, and the two began to laugh.

"You had to say it," Gene smiled, then turned and ran to answer whoever it was.

i6bjkUK.png

Inside, Gene was delighted to see his darling Kerenna's smiling face on the monitor.

f1VGK0c.png

"There's my beautiful girl," Gene beamed. "How was the re-entry? Everyone in one piece, I assume?"

"Hi dearest! We're all fine... just waiting for the boat to pick us up... you know... the usual...." Kerenna grinned.

"What blew up?"

"What?" Kerenna sounded indignant... "Nothing!"

"What blew up?"

"Well.... " Kerenna smiled meekly. "There might have been a little explosion... but just a little one. No-one got hurt, I promise."

Gene just sighed and shook his head, and Angelo did his best not to laugh while Kerenna explained.

"Undocking from Kerbin station was fine," Kerenna began. "As was our de-orbiting maneuver... mostly... We were just coming over the space center, and had a couple more seconds to burn.... and... well... we think the primary buffer panel fell off..."

voaRpIX.png

Ea3ZJP8.png

EIAcpSS.png

C1uxIwS.png

"I'm not sure what happened to the lower stage, but everyone was OK. And the heat shield still inflated... so that was a good thing."

Hvh5bur.png

QtG6rhU.png

"But..." Gene prompted her with a smile.

"Well.... the re-entry itself was fine, the heat shield kept us from burning up, and the parachutes all deployed successfully."

RnzLPn2.png

RWroSDB.png

kOW8fOA.png

"But..." Gene asked once again 

"But..." Kerenna grinned meekly again. "When we hit the ocean, one of the seams in the heat shield ripped out, and we took on a lot of water. Captain Kuzzter and Chuck went out a while ago to access the situation, but they're not sure if any seeped into the cargo capsule or not."

0KGOCb5.png

FIMjdlf.png

CFp940Z.png

qktRS7E.png

JS7PS5x.png

"I see," Gene sighed. "Well, as long as everyone is in one piece. It must be dark there as well, how much longer until the pick-up arrives....."

But then another beep rang out and interrupted him.

"Sweety, I'm sorry, it's a priority message. I have to go"

"That's fine, darling. I'll call you when we get back to the space center. Love you."

"Love you, back," Gene threw a kiss at the screen, then switched over the channel, and was surprised to see the message was coming from a young Zaltonic technician they had met earlier that day named Newpont.

afZzrfB.png

"This is Gene Kerman, how can I help you?" Gene asked more than a little suspiciously.

"Sir, I... I'm sorry to bother you at this hour. But we... I... have a situation."

"I knew it!" Gene cried out. "I knew it! Every time I get involved with Zaltonic... something goes wrong!"

"Wait..." Angelo interrupted him, looking at his monitor carefully. "Why is he outside??? And his smile... it's as fake and forced as I've ever seen... Something isn't right."

"Sir, please..." Newpont spoke back up. "I understand... I really do. But this is.. is different. We've lost contact... we've lost Zesty."

"Lost her?" Gene was now growing concerned. The Zaltonic Electronic Space Telescope, nick-named Zesty, was the payload of the launch they had watched early that morning, and the last ship Angelo Kerman had designed before leaving Wild Blue. She was an elegant little ship, primarily a small space telescope, but also fitted with a 2 person capsule and Ion engine so she could be re-positioned if need be, and Angelo was quite proud of her.

And if things were on schedule, she should have been in position and midway through her final testing phase at this point.

"Yes, sir..." Newpont continued. "We've lost the signal, and all trace of her. Until just a few minutes ago everything was proceeding perfectly. Zesty was in position, the shroud discarded with no complications, and we had just brought her online."

vLBO2Fm.png

kSDoGFg.png

tYObFYH.png

9fxu4x8.png

Qi43WuP.png

"The first test images of Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus, to come in were outstanding," Newpont continued.

4JA5mKj.png

iD4F98e.png

qNMABw9.png

"Then we activated the solar filters, and attempted our first image of Kerbol.... and that's when the signal was lost."

"So it blew up from the brightness?" Gene asked. 

"Impossible," Angelo replied. "I built those filters myself. They should have been able to photograph a star 10 times as bright without a problem."

"So what went wrong, then?" Gene countered.

"Sir... sirs... please," Newpont was starting to sound really desperate. "I only have a few seconds before they find me... there's more... why I contacted you..."

"What's this?" Gene suddenly had a really bad feeling about what he was hearing.

"Sir... the administration... the high brass.. they're all really, really scared... and tomorrow they'll hold a press conference... call it a catastrophic system failure. But sir... the camera... it didn't malfunction. It sent back one final image... and now they're all freaking out and deleting all the files... everything!"

tsb16a8.png

"I can see them... up there, in the window... I'm being watched!" Newpont cried. "I don't understand what this is... what to do... but someone has to see this... someone has to know... I copied the final picture to my K-pad... I'm sending it to you now..... Newpont out...."

kFclKhi.png

And when the picture flashed on his monitor screen... the final image sent from the little space telescope, Gene's heart skipped a beat, and his blood turned to ice... and he knew exactly what had happened to the poor little Zesty. 

6ePemzw.png

lmDOrCC.png

The Sage of Emiko Station, and the Tale of Emiko Kerman, are far, far from over....

Go to Chapter 79
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

19 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

@JustJim No one said it had to be done legally and the contract holder can't defend it for himself because he is possessed by a kraken just kidding.

hehe... "Your honor, my client can't be held to this contract on the grounds it was issued by a kraken..." lmao.... :D

No, what I meant by legally is in terms of the game contract, and the forum Ultimate challenge that I started, and my good friend @HoloYolo took over and now maintains, and whether I continue trying to pursue it in the story, or do it separately. Either way, I'm going to do it one of these days.

The contract that started it all is actually quite simple as far as the wording, land a single vessel on every body in the solar system, and finish by landing it back on Kerbin:

vYpu7sP.jpg

yV3f1C6.jpg

Such a simple idea.. yet so incredibly hard to pull off. And just to make things really interesting, I persisto-mancered the contracts so they now include the OPM bodies.  :0.0:

This is where the issue of it being "legal" comes into play. If I continue it in the story, I would prefer to do it so the game itself recognizes the contract as being fulfilled, and also have it be within the rules that both @HoloYolo and I set down in the forum challenge, even if I am considering a somewhat... sideways... approach to the OPM problem. I can't issue the original challenge, and then not follow my own rules. That wouldn't be right.... or any fun.  :D

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band "Blinded by the Light"

*polite cough* The Boss's "Blinded by the Light", as interpreted by Manfred Mann and his Earth Band. *polite cough* 

:wink: 

(Springsteen had a rather snarky remark about Manfred's version that I can't repeat here because reasons. Obvious reasons to anyone that has heard him speak in public.)

1 minute ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

when the Kraken Lord opened up Omega-77 on bop a few chapters back, wouldn't thomberry's dead body still be there? 

(not to mention the smell that must have been produced by a dead body lying and a sealed space for a few years)

Probably disposed of in space.

11 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

*polite cough* The Boss's "Blinded by the Light", as interpreted by Manfred Mann and his Earth Band. *polite cough* 

:wink: 

(Springsteen had a rather snarky remark about Manfred's version that I can't repeat here because reasons. Obvious reasons to anyone that has heard him speak in public.)

OMG.... D'oh!!!   :rolleyes:

You're right! I was so focused on writing the chapter I forgot Bruce was the original songwriter.  I'll go modify it right now!

9 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

when the Kraken Lord opened up Omega-77 on bop a few chapters back, wouldn't thomberry's dead body still be there? 

(not to mention the smell that must have been produced by a dead body lying and a sealed space for a few years)

I hadn't really considered this.... The easiest thing would be to say is it's just gone... no explanation.

But let's think about this... Bop has no atmosphere, probably no bacteria, and is super cold... so I don't know if the body would have rotted. More likely it freeze dried and mummified over the years. And if it was outside, there would be no nasty lingering smell. Bop is also rather dark and shadowy where this happened. I'm thinking if Thompberry's body is now a dried up, mummified husk, it may have lying nearby all the time. The Kraken lord just never really noticed it.

Edited by Just Jim

23 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OMG.... D'oh!!!   :rolleyes:

You're right! I was so focused on writing the chapter I forgot Bruce was the original songwriter.  I'll go modify it right now!

To be fair, the song was almost unknown until Manfred Mann [changed it...] performed it. Same goes for most of Springsteen's earlier work, as he was selling more songs to others than he was performing himself.

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Bop has no atmosphere, probably no bacteria, and is super cold... so I don't know if the body would have rotted.

Assuming kerbals are human-like (big assumption), they probably bring their own bacteria with them in their gut/gizzards/foodpouch. Would likely still be limited decay until those ran out of food, heat, and/or whatever gas they live on. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.