The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

35 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

fusion

35 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

antimatter

Unless that's how Jim got around the whole "fusion is clean" thing, those don't go together. :wink:

Hot fusion doesn't have enough mass to actually do anything to the vessel if containment fails; you're looking at a few milligrams at a few million Kelvins. Dense fusion, on the other hand, would probably be a little more crazy; creating pressures great enough to fuse is really hard, and the fuel would happily explode through your everything if the magnets fail.

7 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Finally caught up. It's enjoyable, but won't recommended if your Kerbals demanded hard sci-fi (my favorite). Now that I've got some inspirations, I might try making my own series XD

Yeah, Emiko isn't super hardcore sci-fi... it's more like campy, semi-humorous 60's sci-fi. But I'm glad you liked it so far, and I look forward to whatever you come up with! :)

7 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

For that fusion reactor, do they contain kilograms amount of antimatter? Because if their containment fails, that'd be some spectacular light show from space

6 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Unless that's how Jim got around the whole "fusion is clean" thing, those don't go together. :wink:

Hot fusion doesn't have enough mass to actually do anything to the vessel if containment fails; you're looking at a few milligrams at a few million Kelvins. Dense fusion, on the other hand, would probably be a little more crazy; creating pressures great enough to fuse is really hard, and the fuel would happily explode through your everything if the magnets fail.

The issue now isn't whether the fusion reactor is clean or not. For the record, it's quite clean. The big problem is the Grand Kerbal is being an unreasonable pain in the butt, and doesn't want to hear it. To her a reactor is a reactor is a reactor.... and they're all dangerous. Clean or not, she's being really stubborn, and wants it off of her planet.  :sticktongue:

Edited by Just Jim

8 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

<Politics snipped>

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

<Politics snipped>

NO!!!!

That's not what I meant, and do NOT go there! Not on my thread! :mad:

Edited by Deddly

34 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

Thanks.

Anyways, I wonder how much time each chapter's production takes?

Good question. Mostly it's based on me playing the game itself, and how long it takes getting the screenshots for a particular chapter. Granted, I have the plot (more or less) written out in my head, but this is also a very, very long career game, which is the original reason why I added screenshots. And a lot of times... more than I can count now, the game gives me some weird twist, like an unexpected but really cool explosion, that causes me to re-write half a chapter so I can take advantage of it. And a couple times something like this, or the addition of Magic Boulders, drastically changed the entire story in ways I can't really divulge... :wink:

So advancing my career game, and getting the screenshots, is the bulk of it. Once I have them it takes about half a day to sort thru and find the ones I'll actually use. In many cases I start with about a thousand, and weed it down to less than a hundred. The reason for that is I often take shots from several different angles, or of a particular character talking, then sift thru them all  and choose just the very best ones. After that I'll Photoshop in things like the lens flares, and weird eyeball effects, that's usually the second half of the day.

Writing up a chapter itself is about 6-8 hours, depending, and about an hour proof-reading. Then cross my fingers, click the reply button, and hope you all like it... :)

6 hours ago, Readerty2007 said:

So, let me get this straight. On the giant asteroid that the Krakens are using to invade Kerbin, reality is warping by as much as 2 meters. Honestly, I'd expect it to be worse than that...

I know, right???  

Truth is, it's getting a little ridiculous.... I don't want to give away exactly what I'm trying to do, but it's just not working. Worst part is I just have to get the first few parts started, then the rest should be OK.... but this is just insane. The spot where Emiko tower is attached, it's right near the visual surface... but just a few meters away it sinks to about 3-4 meters... I'm guessing. Hard to really tell, except my Kerbal looked he had been swallowed by the asteroid... 

Hmmmm, swallowed by an asteroid... I wonder if I can use that.... lol.... :rolleyes:

Soooo.... I'm gonna be busy most of tomorrow, no choice, but after, I'm gonna cheat take advantage of the loophole that says cheating bending the rules to overcome a bug is acceptable, and cheat try something a little different that just might work. 

Edited by Just Jim

On the completely unrelated note...

Spoiler

Will there be ridiculous acts such as having to jump down from a mulfunctioning reentry vehicle (such as wings broken or forgetting a parachute) to the surface on EVA? (I just did that, and Jeb survived falling into the sea lol)

Hey everyone, Sorry it's taking me so long. I tried something different today, but things are still not working like I want. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew, because if this doesn't work, I'm gonna be boxed in bad....

I'm not sure what to do yet, except to step back and try to think my way around this, or how to adapt the plot if I have to... 

On 1/5/2016 at 7:08 PM, Just Jim said:

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a cheese snack; Kuzzter cheese, her favorite brand, and said softly,

"I don't know who you are down there, but if you want to play, then let's play. How about a game of Spy vs. Spy??"

Wait... so Kuzzter the Space Pirate makes cheese on the side?

1 hour ago, Readerty2007 said:

Wait... so Kuzzter the Space Pirate makes cheese on the side?

Oh wow... I totally forgot I wrote that. 

Truth is, that was the first tribute I did to my buddy @Kuzzter. Later on I brought him in as a full blown character, but I had already forgotten about the cheese reference.

How about this... Captain Kuzzter does not make cheese... at least he doesn't own a cheese making factory. Rather, much like Captain Morgan spiced rum, a rather prestigious Kerban cheese manufacturer named a brand of deliciously sharp cheddar after our dear friend Captain Kuzzter.... :)

Hey everyone.... I've got some good news... I've been talking with my good friend @adsii1970 on the side... and I have to thank him for letting me rant and vent and use him as a sounding board (among other things). And one of his suggestions led me to start thinking in a totally different direction, but with the same ultimate goal, and just might be the thing I need to un-box myself from this asteroid bug. 

Plus... it gives me a new avenue to address the Ultimate Challenge.... bonus!!!

I need to work out a few details... but I think we're back in business... :D

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

On Tylo???

There's a lovely Hazard-ish video about that somewhere.

To Tylo and back with one fuel tank. Not an SSTO, but it didn't use any ISRU either. I'm sure one could do even more if one drops that constraint.

Or you could go with a carrier.

3 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Good to hear, it already sounded like the was no way out.

For a while I was beginning to think there wasn't. Then @adsii1970 made a suggestion, that with some minor adjustments, might work after all. 

I have to go dog sit for some friends today (long story). I'll take my tablet and work out more of the sub-plot details while I'm there.

13 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

There's a lovely Hazard-ish video about that somewhere.

To Tylo and back with one fuel tank. Not an SSTO, but it didn't use any ISRU either. I'm sure one could do even more if one drops that constraint.

Or you could go with a carrier.

I'm thinking carrier.... :wink:

23 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

On Tylo???

Wait, note that this is just one of the components that's really required in the mission!

The Kerbin SSTO ascend vehicle design (from top down): 1.25m payload (<5 t on Kerbin, more on Laythe or Tylo) - 1.25m decoupler - C7 1.25-2.5m adapter - (optional) smaller Rockomax tank - Rockomax jumbo tank - Mainsail/Skipper.

The design works on Kerbin. The payload to space is less than 5 tons, but it did work.

Whenever I say SSTO, I mean you don't have to detach anything during the launch. If this design is used on Kerbin, the launch stage has to be detached as soon as it reaches space, leaving the payload for rendezvous with the mothership. I am sure the actual ascend stage on Tylo can be made smaller than that due to the complete lack of atmosphere.

On Tylo, you'll need more than the Rockomax jumbo tank and C7 1.25-2.5m adapter to land, but the ascending phase on both Laythe and Tylo is surely cost less delta-v than on Kerbin, where I conducted my tests on.

-=- -=- -=- -=- -=-

For Eve, you'll probably want a blimp/fan-propelled plane, both of which require mods. The alternative way is to land on the top of the tallest mountain.

Edited by Hypercosmic

41 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

Wait, note that this is just one of the components that's really required in the mission!

Yeah.... and I made it worse by adding the OPM worlds.... I must be a glutton for punishment.... :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah.... and I made it worse by adding the OPM worlds.... I must be a glutton for punishment.... :rolleyes:

Try Kerbol Origins instead :P

Spoiler

HAVE FUN GETTING BACK FROM KEELON HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Edited by Hypercosmic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.