The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

11 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

when the Kraken Lord opened up Omega-77 on bop a few chapters back, wouldn't thomberry's dead body still be there? 

(not to mention the smell that must have been produced by a dead body lying and a sealed space for a few years)

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Assuming kerbals are human-like (big assumption), they probably bring their own bacteria with them in their gut/gizzards/foodpouch. Would likely still be limited decay until those ran out of food, heat, and/or whatever gas they live on. 

I'll buy that.... but there's an added complication I just thought of. I've already established that under normal conditions, kerbals don't just die, they "Poof". There have been exceptions, but normally the body would just poof away.

However, having said that... I'll admit I hadn't really given much thought to Thompberry's old body... but it's an interesting question, and I don't want to close this door just yet. It might be fun to re-visit down the road.

So let's say Thompberry's body wasn't in the old ship, but is still lying around somewhere nearby. But the Kraken Lord was so freaked out at learning what had happened, he either didn't notice it, or care, at that point, and just left it where it was.

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Also, @Just Jim, what's the skybox? Thanks

I'm really sorry... but I don't really know for sure.

The download is called: KSP Real Skybox... but when I tried to search the forum for it, I found something quite different than what I remember.  

Edited by Just Jim

49 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I use the Texture Replacer Mod, and his suit was custom made by @Angel-125 

Ahh. Texture Replacer I already have, but that explains why I couldn't find Angelo's look.

Oh boy..... I just did some math, and I have a problem....

I can't say what it is, but I have two options... I can cheat... or I can try and pull off the trickiest maneuver I've ever attempted...  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

or I can try and pull off the trickiest maneuver I've ever attempted...  

Isn't that what these mission reports are all about? Geting out and pushing, catching a suborbital launch with a rendezvous from a previously orbital craft, etc. No matter what I'm sure you'll make it interesting. :D 

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Isn't that what these mission reports are all about? Geting out and pushing, catching a suborbital launch with a rendezvous from a previously orbital craft, etc. No matter what I'm sure you'll make it interesting. :D 

Yup... this is definitely a "get out and push" moment.

I've been working it out on paper, and I think I can do it... but the timing has to be perfect... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

On 3/8/2017 at 4:47 PM, Buzz light fear said:

Normally I am a stock player I have never used mods in my life but I was seriously thinking about it for this mod

It is really nice for giving your different kerbals a more unique look.

I pretty much stayed stock until about chapter 55 or so. That's when I got a faster computer, and decided to add Outer Planets into the story. After that I've added several more mods, but only what I need for the story. I try to keep them as limited as possible.

On 07/03/2017 at 10:34 PM, DualDesertEagle said:

Totally lost it at that point :D

It was the Waxon-Waxoff Corporation that did it for me. :)

Bows respectfully to Sensei Jim and tries not to crease up laughing.

11 minutes ago, KSK said:

It was the Waxon-Waxoff Corporation that did it for me. :)

Bows respectfully to Sensei Jim and tries not to crease up laughing.

hehe, I'm glad you got a laugh. 

But credit where credit is due... the Waxon-Waxoff Corporation came from @Angel-125's original description of the Supernova engine. I also loved the name, and saw no reason to change it. :D

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

That's what quicksaves are for. :) 

Unfortunately I can't, in this case it goes back way too far.

I'm not really sure what happened, but something... changed... over the last several months. My best guess is something was slightly altered in one of the updates. Whatever the case, I did a couple tests this morning, and I now think I can use it to my advantage, and add a little more excitement into the next chapter.

24 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

hehe, I'm glad you got a laugh. 

But credit where credit is due... the Waxon-Waxoff Corporation came from @Angel-125's original description of the Supernova engine. I also loved the name, and saw no reason to change it.

Tips hat to @Angel-125. Nay - doffs hat in a sweeping bow.

Edited by KSK

On 3/7/2017 at 2:06 PM, Just Jim said:

"Undocking from Kerbin station was fine," Kerenna began. "As was our de-orbiting maneuver... mostly... We were just coming over the space center, and had a couple more seconds to burn.... and... well... we think the primary buffer panel fell off..."

Very Very nice reference there sir!  The Captain would be proud of you.  Shiny!

On 3/9/2017 at 8:39 PM, Just Jim said:

It is really nice for giving your different kerbals a more unique look.

I pretty much stayed stock until about chapter 55 or so. That's when I got a faster computer, and decided to add Outer Planets into the story. After that I've added several more mods, but only what I need for the story. I try to keep them as limited as possible.

I have only 4GB of RAM, so I had to do some major cleaning, deleting the mods I don't use, found a few that used 3 figures of MB and never used them so out they went, so I'm gonna try to stick to the basics and only use Outer Planets for my next story, because well, blame computer issues lol

Hey everyone... something weird happened. Turns out I don't have a fuel crisis... but the test results are totally backwards from what I had predicted.

The problem was it appeared that Jeb, Val, Bob, & Bill didn't have enough fuel to get back into Kerbin orbit... which was weird. I thought they did.

Turns out it depends on how I use the engines. Their Raptor has 2 nervs and 1 aerospike, and right now has 2140 liq, but only 464 oxidizer. Now normally I would say just use the nervs... the isp is much better. Just run them at 2/3rds throttle so they don't overheat. But they run out of fuel too soon.

However, I just found if I use both the nervs and aerospike at full throttle, let it run until the oxidizer runs out, which is just over a minute, and then let the nervs finish up, I have plenty of fuel to make and circularize an orbit.

Odd... the aerospikes eat liquid fuel so much faster I would have thought it'd be the other way around.

Anyway, crisis averted. I thought about using it anyway, but it's really gratuitous, and repetitious of the Dresperado crisis a few chapter back. I'm just a little bummed I wasted so long before I realized what happened.  :rolleyes:

Oh, I also submitted a couple stories for that Kerbal Chronicles magazine. Not sure if I'll make the final cut or not, we'll see what happens. It would be really cool to make Emiko a permanent game name.  :cool:

44 minutes ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

the question is, did anyone else get it?  hence why I phrased it the way I did.

I highly suspect we have a couple browncoat readers... :wink:

17 hours ago, Draconiator said:

I have only 4GB of RAM, so I had to do some major cleaning, deleting the mods I don't use, found a few that used 3 figures of MB and never used them so out they went, so I'm gonna try to stick to the basics and only use Outer Planets for my next story, because well, blame computer issues lol

Yeah, I hear ya. I only have 8 gigs right now.... and I would love to add more one of these days.

Edited by Just Jim

That's the thing - NERVs may have slightly over twice the specific impulse, but when you have both components it means getting about the same impulse per amount of LF... and dragging a bunch of oxidizer all the way along as the dead mass. Which means less delta v

Another tip for maximizing delta v output if you have multiple fuel types: burn the low-ISP things first (in this case LFO aerospike), then you'll get the maximum of the high-ISP fuel by reducing the mass

1 minute ago, Alchemist said:

Another tip for maximizing delta v output if you have multiple fuel types: burn the low-ISP things first (in this case LFO aerospike), then you'll get the maximum of the high-ISP fuel by reducing the mass

That's just what seems to happen. thanks!  :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.