The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

7 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

How did you get the inflatable balloon to work? I've been messing with that thing for months to no avail!

What's not working? Is it not inflating? Not flying? 

37 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

It starts inflated and doesn't stop being inflated.

OK, I wanted to get a couple screenshots...

This is how I do it. Click the blimp looking button and open the HLAirship window:

s7JGPPO.png

Slowly begin to increase the gas pressure... only a percent or two at a time, until the weight zeroes out. At that point you will begin to lift off the ground.

wcwoFlN.png

Again... go really slow, only a percent at a time now. Oh, FYI, the Buffalloon zeroes out around 17%. Once you reach the desired altitude, turn on the Altitude Control and you should stop climbing and hover at that altitude.

4EVJHWz.png

Edited by Just Jim

32 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Sorry, I meant that it starts out looking inflated, I can't remember whether it lifts normally or not.

Hmmm... It will look inflated in the VAB and SPH, but it should be packed up and deflated when you actually launch it.... odd.

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmm... It will look inflated in the VAB and SPH, but it should be packed up and deflated when you actually launch it.... odd.

It just occured to me that I probably haven't tried to launch one of these since before 1.2. I'm probably running on outdated info.

4 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

It just occured to me that I probably haven't tried to launch one of these since before 1.2. I'm probably running on outdated info.

that's always a possibility... I started playing with airships just a few weeks ago, so I think mine are all up to date. 

The process of Kerbalization could be accomplished by complete somatic replacement through nanomachine-augmented cellular replication. Essentially, the DNA profile of the individual in question is "Kerbalized" (possibly by exposure to rocket fuel) into an equivalent profile compatible with a Kerbal physiology. This DNA profile is used to construct several million artificial stem cells which are injected into the individuals bloodstream. Nanoscale machinery is also incorporated, constructing cellular scaffolds and compensating for metabolic anomalies throughout the transition region between physiologies. The Kerbal cells replace individual human cells which were naturally undergoing senescence. As this process occurs, small regions of Kerbal tissue slowly develop under the supervision and maintenance of the nanites. In some areas (the brain, germ line and skeletal system) where the cells are slow to replace, human cells are slowly disassembled and replaced by their Kerbal equivalents. As this process occurs, total body and brain integrity is maintained by a process of artificial micro-environments and continued neural communication, preserving brain pathways by replacing individual neurons along with all of their dendritic connections to additional cells. The goal of the nanites is to create small (centimeter scale) regions of complete Kerbalization, which minimizes the amount of environmental regulation required in addition to reducing the amount of chemical and electrical adaptation necessary to relay human and Kerbal hormonal and neural signals between tissue types. These regions then gradually expand through the targeted elimination and replacement of bordering cells, until after a period of up to several decades the body has been completely replaced by the Kerbalized cells. At this point, the nanomachines no longer need to regulate the internal environment and gradually pass this responsibility onto the newly formed Kerbal body. 

Throughout this process, brain and metabolic activity is kept to a minimum, reducing the energy requirements of the transition system and allowing comprehensive error correction to run at the molecular level with minimal influence from the latent metabolism. The memories and personality of the individual are preserved through the continuation of a minimal level of synaptic activity - while cells can be replaced, the entire system remains active to some degree throughout the transition period. Minor changes may occur due to the influence of the novel physiology, however an advanced understanding of comparative synaptic anatomy allows these effects to be minimized by the selective genetic alteration of the "Kerbalized" DNA. The final transformed organism appears physically Kerbal, however they maintain a human-like personality matrix with detectable abnormal (for a Kerbal anyways) brain structure and chemistry. The reverse process is substantially easier - the idiosyncratic synaptic connections are always best suited for the original neural physiology, requiring lesser effort on the part of the transformation nanites to maintain the extant personality. Transformation subjects are like the ship of Theseus Kerman - while individual planks are replaced, the characteristics arise from the sum of all extant components and their relative orientation and interactions. The planks themselves are infinitesimal parts of the whole and are therefore inconsequential at final analysis. 

34 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The process of Kerbalization could be accomplished by complete somatic replacement through nanomachine-augmented cellular replication. Essentially, the DNA profile of the individual in question is "Kerbalized" (possibly by exposure to rocket fuel) into an equivalent profile compatible with a Kerbal physiology. This DNA profile is used to construct several million artificial stem cells which are injected into the individuals bloodstream. Nanoscale machinery is also incorporated, constructing cellular scaffolds and compensating for metabolic anomalies throughout the transition region between physiologies. The Kerbal cells replace individual human cells which were naturally undergoing senescence. As this process occurs, small regions of Kerbal tissue slowly develop under the supervision and maintenance of the nanites. In some areas (the brain, germ line and skeletal system) where the cells are slow to replace, human cells are slowly disassembled and replaced by their Kerbal equivalents. As this process occurs, total body and brain integrity is maintained by a process of artificial micro-environments and continued neural communication, preserving brain pathways by replacing individual neurons along with all of their dendritic connections to additional cells. The goal of the nanites is to create small (centimeter scale) regions of complete Kerbalization, which minimizes the amount of environmental regulation required in addition to reducing the amount of chemical and electrical adaptation necessary to relay human and Kerbal hormonal and neural signals between tissue types. These regions then gradually expand through the targeted elimination and replacement of bordering cells, until after a period of up to several decades the body has been completely replaced by the Kerbalized cells. At this point, the nanomachines no longer need to regulate the internal environment and gradually pass this responsibility onto the newly formed Kerbal body. 

Throughout this process, brain and metabolic activity is kept to a minimum, reducing the energy requirements of the transition system and allowing comprehensive error correction to run at the molecular level with minimal influence from the latent metabolism. The memories and personality of the individual are preserved through the continuation of a minimal level of synaptic activity - while cells can be replaced, the entire system remains active to some degree throughout the transition period. Minor changes may occur due to the influence of the novel physiology, however an advanced understanding of comparative synaptic anatomy allows these effects to be minimized by the selective genetic alteration of the "Kerbalized" DNA. The final transformed organism appears physically Kerbal, however they maintain a human-like personality matrix with detectable abnormal (for a Kerbal anyways) brain structure and chemistry. The reverse process is substantially easier - the idiosyncratic synaptic connections are always best suited for the original neural physiology, requiring lesser effort on the part of the transformation nanites to maintain the extant personality. Transformation subjects are like the ship of Theseus Kerman - while individual planks are replaced, the characteristics arise from the sum of all extant components and their relative orientation and interactions. The planks themselves are infinitesimal parts of the whole and are therefore inconsequential at final analysis. 

Wow... Impressive. Let's go with this! :) 

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... Impressive. Let's go with this! :) 

Or simply, it can happen as you eat too many Cheetos, while drinking RC Cola, on your back patio during a strong lightening storm - and you get hit by lightening. Before you know what happens, you wake up in a white space suit in front of the VAB on Kerbin, with Gene telling you you'll be launching in ten minutes... :D

Thought I'd post some images of something I whipped up. It's super BadS, in my opinion, and it sort of (not really) fits with Emiko Station's theme. Plus, all you fine folks over at KASA ought to take some inspiration from this! 

---

Jeb stole some of Angelo's gear and added his own aviators to Angelo's personal outfit:

6z7cL5W.png

*insert theme music and Top Gun reference here*

bzX8u43.png

"I CAN'T HOLD IT, FLIGHTCOM! SHE'S BREAKING UP! AAH-" ERROR: Signal Lost 

ezNPFGw.png

Edited by KAL 9000

Y'all are free to theorize what the ET's did... but I'm not going to get into too much more detail about how they were Kerbalized. More than anything because Emiko (and Chibi) really don't know what exactly happened. If you go back to chapter 65, this is what Emiko said:

On 9/12/2016 at 4:37 PM, Just Jim said:

"Emiko doesn't know how much time passed, or what really happened, only that she was occasionally thawed partially out... while the saucer aliens... altered Emiko!"

Around her the crew gasped, "Altered? How?

"Emiko is not sure, only that they... did things to Emiko... changed Emiko... genetically. Altered Emiko's body to survive among the humans!" 

On 5/9/2017 at 5:17 PM, KAL 9000 said:

"I CAN'T HOLD IT, FLIGHTCOM! SHE'S BREAKING UP! AAH-" ERROR: Signal Lost 

ezNPFGw.png

*kettle drums*

"Jeb Kerman, kerbonaut.  A kerb barely alive."

*wireframe diagrams and specs for MechJeb*

"Gentlekerbs, we can rebuild him.  We have the technology."

30 minutes ago, Commander Zoom said:

*kettle drums*

"Jeb Kerman, kerbonaut.  A kerb barely alive."

*wireframe diagrams and specs for MechJeb*

"Gentlekerbs, we can rebuild him.  We have the technology."

OMG... you're right... the resemblance is hilarious!  :D

9 hours ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

no worries man. when you get to it, you get to it.

Thanks...

I've been working on it. Truth be told, most all the screenshots are already done. I'm just really stuck on the dialogue because I have to change parts of Emiko's backstory. And I've sort of boxed myself in a little.... So the last few days I've taken a break from actually playing, and let my mind wander and try to come up with a new and clever way to tackle this....

Edited by Just Jim

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh........
My lovable but pesky muse has been really quiet the last couple weeks... but just now swooped on in and gave me an epic bombshell idea....  :cool:
Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, obney kerman said:

I keep forgetting to say, but a couple months ago I found a strange monument to Neil and Armstrong on the Mun! I wonder what it could mean...:sticktongue:

If your ship gets too close to it and spontaneously explodes, I want to know!!!  :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.