The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

45 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Ermahgerd twer cherpterz!!!

(As you can clearly see, I am quite enthusiastic for double the chapters for the price of one. What a great deal!)

25 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

JACKPOT!!! :cool:

Yeah... I've put so much work into the details, I'm super pumped to finally be writing these up as well.

And truth be told, I probably have enough for three chapters... but I don't have a good way to break it into thirds without killing the momentum, so to speak.

I just finished Photoshopping them, and right on time it's beginning to thunder outside, so it looks like I'm shutting down for a bit. Later this evening I'll upload everything to Imgur.

So weather permitting, because they tend to take me about 6-8 hours to write a chapter, and these are probably going to be fairly long, I'm planning on Chapter 84 tomorrow and 85 on Monday.

Until then, here's a fun little teaser...

Spoiler

Emiko Kerman, not knowing what it is, see's an Earth Lobster for the very first time:

"Ewwww.... Emiko NOT eating big sea-bug!!!"

PEqfR0e.png

Edited by Just Jim

“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.” 
                                                               Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Boscombe Valley Mystery"

Chapter 84
Emiko's Backstory - The Mystery of the Late Dinner Guest

(Prelude)

Back on Kerbin, morning rolled into afternoon and finally evening, and Kerbol was just starting to fall into the western hills when when voices erupted inside Gene Kerman's briefing room at the Kerbal Space Center.

eX1MSzm.png

dqksO9D.png

"Kerbs.... please..." Gene tried to cut thru the din of questions. "Please... let Emiko and Chibi finish."

"Thank you, Gene Kerman," Emiko smiled. "Emiko knows it must sound pretty weird."

"A little, granted," Gene nodded. "But in light of recent events, is it really any weirder?"

jgnkI3A.png

"But, if I may," Gene continued, "There is one thing I have to know, please."

"Of course, Gene Kerman," Emiko smiled and nodded back. "If Emiko and Chibi can help, please feel free..."

CEN0uIN.png

"These Krakens, they were on this Earth planet.... and apparently all throughout the Kerbol solar system..." Gene paused, a little afraid to finish. "Just how many of these things are there? Hundreds... thousands?"

Emiko and Chibi looked at each other, but didn't answer.

"Dear God," Gene whispered. "Not.... millions?"

fWjMscj.png

Emiko and Chibi exchanged glances again before Emiko turned and spoke.

"Three."

"Three?" 

"Three... maybe four." Emiko nodded. 

"But... that's it?" Gene seemed relieved. "I thought we were going to be invaded!"

WJ14TPn.png

For a few seconds Gene and Werhner smiled and began to relax a little.... but Captain Kuzzter, who had a certain knack for these things, had been watching Emiko and Chibi's faces carefully, and what he saw there sent a cold chill down his spine.

"Miss Emiko, Miss Chibi," Kuzzter asked softly. "Tell me, honestly, just how dangerous are three of them?"

eTbo2ZW.png

Emiko looked at Chibi and hesitated.

"There is a leader," Chibi answered slowly. "And her two... slaves? Minions? Companions? I'm not sure what to call them. They are most deadly, and can.... poof... or possess... a victim within seconds.... Never, ever, let them make eye contact..."

"And this... leader of theirs?" Gene asked nervously. "The one you said was possessing an Earth female when you where there... She's the same Kraken entity now possessing Carlenna Kerman, isn't she?

"That one is... foul," Chibi spat. "They called her..... I... I'm sorry... I can't..."

"They called that one Slayer of... worlds," Emiko whispered. "Worlds..."

Gene gasped... but next to him Werhner had to ask.

"You mentioned a fourth... a fourth what?"

Emiko sat and thought for a second. "Not sure what fourth... thing... really was... And Emiko didn't see it until later... Not sure... Emiko maybe just saw spooky ghost. Not the first time Emiko saw a ghost."

PBtdNZR.png

Actually, the first time Emiko saw a ghost happened back on this "Earth Planet", about 10-12 days after she and Chibi had paid a visit to Professor d'Alain, and Belladonna Cove was locked into one of the worst winter storms it had seen in centuries, and for all practical purposes at a complete standstill. Schools, businesses, and most of the roads were closed, and the only vehicles Emiko saw out the window were something kind of fun looking rover thing called snowing-mobiles... or something like that.

LbEOood.png

kylkQX7.png

The worst part is poor Emiko had been more than a little freaked out at Professor d'Alain's tale of these Kraken things, and Chibi was starting to see signs her best friend was catching a serious case of cabin fever, which came to a head late one evening when Emiko was heading up from Chibi's lab to their bedroom to grab a book she had forgotten...

... and got the stuffing's scared out of her!!!

H31VI6L.png

KmrXmvX.png

iZWbzxV.png

"AAhhh, hahahaha," the spirit of Chibi's late governess Mary-Anne Peterson laughed. "Made you jump!"

gX7svlN.png

UvwTrk8.png

Once she had gotten her heart beating, and could breath again, Emiko bolted downstairs as fast as she could.

"Chibi!!!!" Emiko yelled as she ran into the lab. "Emiko saw a... a spooky GHOST!!!"

Wsr42i9.png

LkfL96g.png

"A spooky ghost?" Chibi laughed. "Are you sure it was a ghost?"

"Chibi..." Emiko shivered... "It was Miss Mary-Anne spooky ghost! Jumped right through closed door and scared poor Emiko bad... Then laughed and floated away... Emiko almost had heart attack!!!"

GcN4nHh.png

Cabin fever or not, it was clear to Chibi that something had scared Emiko, and she did her best not to laugh.

"Miss Mary?" Chibi rubbed her chin. "Well, don't let it bother you, dear. Believe me, you're not the first one to see a ghost in these parts. But I wonder why she would come back here? No matter... I have just the cure. Tomorrow, one way or the other, we're getting out of here and going somewhere... I really don't care where, we'll find something fun to do. Sound good?"

"Yes... YES!" Emiko beamed. "Not what to say anything... but Emiko is SOOOO bored!!!"

6xErWlR.png

zGJtEqv.png

Surprisingly, the solution to the girls problem of how to get out of the house was handed to them the next morning while they were eating breakfast and Professor Goth, still staying until a proper new governess could be found, was talking the phone with his daughter, Cassandra, and suddenly walked up to the table where the girls were.

o0moukM.png

c9COF8I.png

"What's that you say, Cassy?" Goth laughed. "You're a couple people short for tonight? Wellll.... it just so happens I have a couple young ladies here I may... just may... be able to persuade to come down and sit in."

"Yes... YES!" Chibi began fist-pumping. "The Fishhead!"

csgUxpv.png

"Fishheads?" Emiko shivered... "Ewwww..."

"No," Chibi laughed. "The Fishhead Hotel. Auntie Cassandra runs a Victorian style 'Murder-Mystery' bed and breakfast. And if she's short a couple guests, we get to sit-in for free!!! Oh, Emiko, this is just what we need to get out of here for  a day or two... you're going to love it!!!"

"A... what?" Emiko shrugged... "Breakfast... murder? Someone is going to get poofed?"

mVRtJ63.png

"No... well, yes. Sort of." Chibi laughed. "Don't worry, it's not real. Just real fun. I'll try and explain on the way."

Sm3j93E.png

That afternoon the snow and ice-fog had let up a little, but visibility was still quite limited, and it was a good thing the Fishhead hotel was within walking distance. But while the girls were anxious to get started, Chibi's Uncle Nick was still in the lab, talking on his cell phone.

"Why don't you two get started." Professor Goth smiled. "I'll see what's holding him up."

NufuOqt.png

"Hmmm... that's very interesting," Goth heard Nick said quietly to whoever he was talking to when he entered the lab. "Let me know if there's any developments. I owe you one, thanks."

With that Nick hung up and turned to Goth.

"Are the girls ready?" 

"Yes," Goth answered, politely not asking what the conversation was about. "They're just heading out now."

"Are they?" Nick smiled. "Then we haven't a second to lose. Mustn't let them get too far ahead."

PzJUabh.png

XOmhXag.png

But when they got outside Nick and the Professor saw the girls somewhat impatiently waiting for them at the end of the driveway.

fDwLSO0.png

"It's all right, girls," Goth called out with a smile. "We're all here."

"About time!" Chibi laughed back. "Can we go now?"

"Yes... yes... we'll be right behind you."

yJOHLw8.png

But Nick and the Professor didn't follow immediately, and instead let the girls get a few paces ahead, and out of earshot first.

"What is it with them... honestly?" Nick asked quietly. "I've never seen Chibi this close to anyone before. Are they like... you know... a couple?"

m29JMKa.png

"No... no..." Goth mused. "You're right, they're without a doubt closer than most married couples I've known. But it's not like that... not romantic. They're more like sisters... even twins, unusual as that might sound. Whatever it is, they've become completely inseparable."

"And this Emiko... she's not the same... species, I suppose is the right word... as the other ET's? The ones that are missing?"

"No," Goth answered, picking up the pace to keep within eye sight of the girls. "From what she's told us, she something completely different, something called a Kerbal, and the ET's took her from her home-world and left her here."

"Interesting..." Nick murmured. "Interesting..."

xBAmtpg.png

Up ahead, Chibi was trying to explain to Emiko where they were headed, and what she was about to experience.

"First thing to remember, sweety, is this is all play-acting, like on television, and not real, OK?" Chibi smiled. "The Fishhead is much smaller than a modern hotel, and over 300 years old. And it was slated to be torn down until Auntie Cassandra bought and restored it to as close to the original as possible and opened it into what humans call a bed & breakfast.... and what she calls a murder-mystery theater."

"But Chibi said someone is getting poofed?" Emiko asked. "Poofing part is just play-acting? Why?"

SvOed0F.png

"Do you remember the movie we watched a few nights ago?" Chibi asked Emiko. "The one with no color.. about a poofing on a train?"

"Wait," Emiko thought a second. "Yes... Ornamental Express! That was fun movie!"

"Yes..." Chibi laughed. "Ornamental Express... that's close enough."

"Oh... wait..." Emiko stopped a second, then started to get really excited. "Murder-poof mystery... Are Emiko and Chibi going on train ride?"

"Sort of, yes!" Chibi beamed. "Only this time in a really old hotel. And if someone does get poofed, even if it is play-acting... You and I, Emiko... we get to try and solve the mystery! Do you get it now?"

"Yes... YES! "Emiko squealed. "Now Emiko gets it... and it sounds really, really fun!"

O7DWWrG.png

Following not far behind, Nick was silent for several minutes before turning to Professor Goth and speaking in a hushed tone.

"I need to tell you something... I'm not sure if it's of importance... And it may just be a false alarm, or because of the snow... but that other professor, the one the girls visited not long ago... d'Alain?"

"Yes?" Goth asked just as softly, already half knowing and dreading what was to follow.

"He's apparently also gone missing..." Nick whispered. "Hasn't been seen for several days.... since right after the girls visited his place..."

BhaoDf7.png

"No... not poor Simon." Goth shook his head sadly. "We had our... differences of opinion... but I can tell you he is a good man, and trustworthy. And quite possibly the most knowledgeable person alive in the history of the ET's... as well as some other... well, let's just say... controversial theories."

"Hmmmm... an expert in ET's?" Nick pondered. "Until now the only ones missing have been ET's themselves. If it is connected, then Professor d'Alain is the first human.... But again, you say he's an expert in ET's??? Interesting... I find this more than a little coincidental... and perhaps a little suspicious."

"I don't... wait... the girls!!!" Goth gasped. "You said he disappeared when they were there? You don't think they're connected somehow, do you?"

"What?" Nick paused a second. "Oh, no... not at all. In fact, if d'Alain vanished right after the girls visited, it suggests whoever or whatever took him waited until they were gone and d'Alain was alone before striking. Thankfully for the girls..."

zB1qBAd.png

Up ahead, as the girls began down Old-River road, the ice-fog was beginning to pour heavily again off the half-frozen Susquehanna, and Chibi knew they were fast approaching their destination.

Then out of the gloom a dark shadow emerged, and Emiko stopped with a small gasp of awe...

"Whoa..."

24vBSOy.png

"Welcome to the Fishhead Hotel, Emiko Kerman," Chibi smiled. "Is this not the perfect place for a poofing?"

Yes..." Emiko giggled... "Yes, Emiko has to admit, it is definitely perfect for murder-poof mystery."

And with an excited laugh the two headed up to the porch and the mysteries that awaited them inside.

iXnqki0.png

4oGI0An.png

xN6GfoJ.png

Waiting in the lobby was a tall, stately woman who smiled warmly when she spotted Emiko and Chibi coming through the door, and walked over to give Chibi a big welcoming hug.

"Girls! I am so delighted you could make it!"

MXW50b0.png

pjwWVxf.png

0h5S0ri.png

igqedMR.png

"Auntie Cassandra," Chibi grinned "May I introduce my bestest friend in the universe, Emiko Kerman. Emiko, this is Auntie Cassandra, owner of the Fishhead Hotel, and our hostess for this weekend."

"Welcome, Miss Emiko," Cassandra smiled and gave Emiko a warm hug. Emiko was starting to realize humans hugged a lot, but didn't mind, and hugged her back.

"Emiko honored." 

ONHMmjG.png

Then Cassandra turned to Chibi and smiled with excitement.

"Oh, my dear, we are going to have such fun tonight! Dinner is in about an hour, and chef leBeau has quite a treat in store... Why don't you and Emiko head upstairs and get out of those wet clothes and into something appropriate and meet us down her later? I've booked you in your usual room, I hope that's all right with you?"

"Yes... yes," Chibi beamed. "I can't wait!"

Ub8JFie.png

Chibi then lead Emiko upstairs, down to the end of a long hallway, and into a small but gorgeously decorated room.

"Wow... pretty," Emiko whispered.

mHCEzFb.png

5LXXBUP.png

TsjCqMK.png

zcXCvZg.png

"I always get this same room when I'm here, I love the view," Chibi smiled. "The bathroom is right thru that door, if you want to take a quick bath before dinner. But before you do..."

And just like that Chibi whipped out a large box with a bow. It looked too big for her to have been carrying all this time, but Emiko had seen Chibi do this before, and a huge grin broke out across her face.

"I have a present for you, Emiko. But wait and open it in the bathroom, so you can try it on, all right?"

qU9Dm1v.png

UAaRECt.png

"OK," Emiko squealed as she ran into the bathroom, and Chibi sat on the sofa and began counting down....

"Five... Four... three... two....."

And right on time a high pitched scream came from the bathroom, and Chibi let you a loud giggle!!!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH... MY...... CHIBI!!!!"

G6rhKhY.png

aV2eWp1.png

Bursting out through the bathroom door, Emiko could barely contain her excitement.

"Eeeee!!! Chibi made Emiko an Emiko-shirt!!! How... when???" Emiko screamed and nearly squeezed the stuffing out of Chibi.

fn5q4cr.png

9pk3XKE.png

zsli6Lt.png

"I have an android and a sewing machine," Chibi laughed. "Remember? All I had to do is show her a picture you drew, make a couple adjustments to her programming, and voila'... almost instant Emiko-shirt."

"Oh, Chibi," Emiko laughed and hugged her even tighter. "Emiko loves it! Never take it off!"

9mPxGTQ.png

Later that evening Emiko followed Chibi down to a darkened dining room, where the two sat anxiously and waited for Auntie Cassandra to start the proceedings. 

"Trust me, this is going to be fun," Chibi laughed and grabbed Emiko's hand. "And anything can happen, so just follow my lead, and try and not act surprised."

YQ419xY.png

Chibi then took a quick around to see who the other guests were, and smiled.

"Oh, awesome. Emiko, see the father and son over there? That's Darren and his dad... he's a good friend of mine, and will probably pay a visit later."

plm1qmd.png

egyOIq7.png

But then the room grew quiet as Cassandra walked in and took the microphone.

"Friends... loved ones... honored guests. I welcome you here tonight, and thank you all for coming, despite the horrid weather, on this solemn occasion. Tonight, dear friends, we pay respects to the late Abigail Weathersmythingtonfield Landgrabb... who has sadly left us yesterday at the venerable age of 104."

X3nf7kO.png

"Later... sometime.... we will be joined by her nephew and heir, Malcolm. But for now I invite you all to relax and enjoy the evening's entertainment. Our chef, master leBeau, has prepared for you a succulent Lobster Thermadore, and I am thrilled to announce tonight's entertainment, just back from her tour in Vegas, is none other than our own fabulous..."

Cassandra paused a moment for effect...

"Ms Badie Noir!"

qoa6e2Y.png

A1KdztV.png

"What???" Chibi screamed as an elegantly dressed woman came smiling into the room, bowed, and took a seat at a large piano. "Badie's back in town? NO way!!! I love you, Badie!!!"

"Then this one is for you, my dear," Badie called back behind her and grinned wickedly... and began snapping her fingers, which Chibi immediately recognized... and then she almost passed out in excitement when Badie began to sing in an angelic voice...

"She keeps Moët et Chandon
In her pretty cabinet
'Let them eat cake,' she says
Just like Marie Antoinette...."

ymKjd5g.png

"I don't believe it..." Chibi said breathlessly over to Emiko, but not so loud as to interrupt. "I love this song!!!"

Then, right on cue, the kitchen doors swung open, and dinner was served....

Except.... What was this.... thing??? Emiko looked down at the plate that was set before her... and despite her best effort, she was totally freaked out at what was lying there... and staring back at her!

"Ewwww..... Chibi... No..... No, Emiko can't... won't eat big bug thing!!!"

PEqfR0e.png

"What?" Chibi couldn't help but laugh at Emiko's horrified expression. "It's a lobster, not an insect. They come from the ocean. And they're delicious."

"A giant... sea-bug??? Even worse! Bleechhhh.... How can Chibi eat this... thing???"

R3tu7BI.png

Now Chibi couldn't help but laugh, and took a few seconds to compose herself.

"I'm... I'm sorry," she giggled. "I suppose, yeah, they do look a little freaky at first. But please, Emiko... trust me, they're actually really good."

"Emiko... don't know..."

"Please," Chibi smiled. "Do you trust me? Just close your eyes and open your mouth.... please?"

"OK," Emiko said reluctantly, and cracked her mouth open, expecting the very worst...

UJK3TCK.png

kqsKeCy.png

And instead of being grossed out, Emiko found herself once again in the grip of an Earth-food bliss, and absolutely amazed something so totally awful looking could taste so heavenly!

"Ohhhh... wow..." was all she could murmur as she detected just the faintest hint of butter and garlic... "Wow..."

TB1V5Ja.png

BEWChth.png

And for a while Emiko and Chibi sat and gorged themselves on sea-bugs, while Badie played a mixture of classical and contemporary piano numbers, and then moved to the microphone to finish her first set with an amazing rendition of "We Are the Champions."

But just as she was finishing up, a rather pompous looking human in a dark blue suit strode in loudly... and to everyone's amazement began to heckle Badie! 

"Booo... blehhhh.... Loser... Get off the stage!!!"

4XXxOrZ.png

Sxp4GTM.png

cjJ3Npg.png

Knowing this might be part of the murder-poof thing, Emiko sat silently and watched as Badie, now quite enraged, strode right up into this arrogant human and began yelling in is face.

"Malcolm... Malcolm Landgrabb!!! Why you... You! You unfaithful DOG! How DARE you interrupt my act!" Badie screamed, either oblivious to the fact, or making sure of the fact, that everyone in the room heard her. And then, to Emiko's amazement, she picked up a glass off the piano and blasted the contents straight into the man's face!!!

"Take that, you... you..... Oh, I can't say it!!!"

0KztWWm.png

UvlcZVs.png

C9DcYBd.png

"Oh.... wow..." Chibi tried desperately not to laugh as the now soaking wet Malcolm Landgrabb stalked into the dining room, and Badie exited into the kitchen with a huff.

But no sooner had Malcolm sat down and taken a mouthful than he was at it again, and Emiko could just see far enough around the corner to see him creating another scene, this time about the sea-bug lobster things.

r2UUcQk.png

4ee2Z1Q.png

uRvFgA6.png

And to Emiko's further amazement, and amusement, this arrogant Malcolm human picked up his plate, stalked past her and Chibi, and into the kitchen, where he began yelling at the chef!

"Not like sea-bugs?" Emiko asked innocently, but Landgrabb just looked at her, growled, and continued into through the kitchen door without responding.

Z0Ma3jB.png

FEmQjgm.png

At first Emiko and Chibi heard, rather than saw the commotion. But within a minute or so the argument spilled out into the dining room with chef leBeau shouting for Landgrabb to exit his kitchen before he got something called a cleaver!!!

"Definitely not like sea-bug," Emiko giggled over to Chibi.

Again Emiko knew this was probably play-acting, but for a few seconds near the end of the argument it got really heated, and Emiko was actually a little nervous, and tried to hide herself and blend into the woodwork for a couple seconds.

YNedGrB.png

CzVARJh.png

wBFKLDr.png

But once things quieted back down, Emiko and Chibi were served desert, and just when Emiko couldn't imagine anything tastier than sea-bugs, a small plate was set before her...

And while Badie serenaded them with a small but exquisite little wooden instrument, Emiko looked upon what was quite possibly the most wonderful thing her eyes could behold, and she could only whisper over to Chibi in awe...

"You mean... it's cheese... and cake? Both???"

LCQp2jC.png

9movgle.png

After Emiko was finished with the bliss that was called cheesecake, and then a second piece, she and Chibi were served a tall glass of what Chibi called a faux champagne, while an elderly human Chibi explained was Greeves, the butler, came slowly out from the bar and up to the arrogant Malcolm Landgrabb's table and presented a bottle and glass to him.

Emiko was slightly amused they were serving her fake champagne when in Kerban years she was older than most everyone in the room, but at the same time she was also really getting into this murder-poof mystery thing, and secretly quite glad she wasn't going to be fuzzy headed later, so she said nothing.

"Ladies... gentlemen... if you please," Greeves the butler called out after pouring Malcolm a glass. "A toast..."

gJiKF3B.png

lNk3On5.png

pneeNVQ.png

Not wanting to miss a thing, Emiko ran right up front and joined in.

"A toast... to the late lady Abigail Landgrabb, and her heir, sir Malcolm. May he receive what he has so rightly earned..."

"To sir Malcolm..." Everyone called out, and drank...

3aSP7qz.png

WzgkhZ3.png

.... and drank... and drank....

Except for Malcolm.... poor Malcolm... who was standing right in front of Emiko...

... and suddenly gasped and cried out, and clutched his throat...

...and to Emiko's absolute delight, proceeded to murder-poof right before her eyes!

9VngoCi.png

tVxMoSw.png

OIZ0NVI.png

AfkvuLs.png

pY5ypXI.png

It was, without a doubt, some of the worst, yet funniest, acting Emiko had seen ever, and she was almost laughing out-loud when Chibi leaded over and whispered in her ear.

"Remember... play along. We're supposed to be sad!"

"Oh, right," Emiko whispered back. "But.... Malcolm such bad actor!!! Emiko trying not to lose it!"

Which, in turn, caused Chibi to bury her face in Emiko's shoulder to keep from cracking up herself...

kRGS9LR.png

78riRTi.png

Then a well dressed guest walked up, announced that he was a doctor, and bent over to examine Malcolm. He turned and felt his chest and wrist and then stood up and just nodded sadly.

"It's murder," Greeves the butler shouted. "Murder, I tell you! Someone notify the authorities immediately!"

Nj3TuZl.png

u3t0N1J.png

Before anyone else could react, Cassandra had her cell phone in hand and had apparently called 911 to report the incident...

Only after a moment she paused and hesitated....

"Yes... yes... Oh my.... I understand... yes, officer..."

QRvoamY.png

ZrDSptB.png

After a few more seconds Cassandra said goodbye, switched off her phone, and looked at the waiting group.

"My friends, I am so sorry, but it appears the river road is completely frozen over, and there is no way the police can reach us before morning... nor can we leave until then," Cassandra explained. "I'm afraid we're on our own...."

UmAWPTB.png

yIqd1hL.png

About an hour later, after things had calmed down in the dining room, Chibi and Emiko were back in their room, trying desperately not to start laughing again!

"Oh, wow, Chibi...." Emiko giggled. "Malcolm human such a bad poofer... Emiko laughed so hard, almost had to run to little kerbals room!"

"I know, right?" Chibi giggled back. "Believe me, I was right there with you!"

Then Chibi reached down into a sort of stone structure thing, and to Emiko's surprise, lit a match and started a small pile of wood inside it on fire!

"Are you cold?" Chibi reached out and warmed her hands in the glowing fire. "I know I am."

t0PTnWo.png

wyaQ93p.png

Assuming it must be all right, Emiko stood up and began warming her hands as well, when suddenly there was a rather elaborate knock at their door, and Chibi smiled and walked over to answer it.

"It's about time!"

fNAlG61.png

yZSK7GA.png

QA03eSo.png

Standing and smiling in the doorway was the young human Chibi pointed out earlier, Darren, who reached out and greeted her with a laugh.

"Mystery sister... been a while!"

"Yeah it has!" Chibi grinned. "And we have a new member on the mystery team. Darren, meet my BFF, Emiko Kerman!

ByCGRTn.png

fNtEUGR.png

"Absolutely delighted to meet you, Emiko" Darren smiled, then walked over and sat next to the fire. "So, where do we stand, sis... and new-sis?"

"Looks to me like we have three clear suspects," Chibi answered as she and Emiko joined Darren in the warm glow of the fire. "The musician, Badie, clearly hated Landgrabb. So did the chef."

"And the butler, Greeves..." Darren said slowly. "He made that really suspicious remark right before Landgrabb died... something about getting what he deserved... yeah, not suspicious at all.... nope."

Da6ARXT.png

xe3wBVc.png

"So one of them is murder-poofer?" Emiko asked excitedly.

"Not necessarily," Chibi replied. "This could be a ruse. But these three suspects are where we will start investigating. I suggest in the morning each one of us pick one and seeing what we can find out. You really seemed to really like the music this evening, Emiko, why don't you take Badie? Who knows, if you're nice she might let you play her piano."

"Really?" Emiko beamed. "Emiko like that a lot!"

"But remember, this is play-acting, and she's not going to just answer a bunch of questions. You have to get her to like you first... trust you... then maybe she'll open up a little about what happened earlier tonight. Do you understand?"

Emiko sat and thought a second, then smiled.

"Like on Ornamental Express?"

"Wait... what?" Darren choked.

"I'll explain later," Chibi laughed back. "Yes, Emiko, pretend it's the Ornamental Express. I think I'll take a shot at chef leBeau... I would dearly love the recipe for that Thermadore sauce... maybe I can get that and some answers out of him at the same time." 

"And I'll see what I can talk out of Greeves," Darren nodded. "Then it's agreed. Shall we meet again, say... lunch time, and compare notes?"

"Done." Chibi smiled and yawned. "Now get out of here so we can get some sleep. I have a feeling tomorrow's going to be a long day."

3HsuxV4.png

Meanwhile, down in the bar, Chibi's Uncle Nick had spent most of the evening frantically talking and whispering on his cell phone, while Professor Goth sat and argued Cricket scores with Alexandra, the bar-keep. Goth knew Nick had been trying to get some more details about Professor d'Alain's disappearance, and while he couldn't make out what was being said, it was clear that something he found out in the last few minutes had rattled Nick... bad...

h1qBa3v.png

9TKd3ln.png

Suddenly, quietly, and without warning, Nick shut his phone off and called softly over to the Professor.

"I need to speak with you a moment... privately."

"Yes, of course," Goth replied, getting up and walking over to where Nick stood waiting.... and not liking the look in Nicks face one bit.

zJQAfkD.png

h7wan8Y.png

"Is there a problem, my friend?" Goth whispered when he was close enough.

"Yes... I believe there is," Nick replied slowly. "But I what I am about to tell you must be kept absolutely secret... at least for now. This is all completely unconfirmed, and it's being hidden well. But I have a... friend... who is completely reliable... and what they just told me..."

"Dear God, what's happened?" Goth whispered even more softly. "Is... is someone else missing?"

"Yes... yes..." Nick breathed softly. "And this time... Well, let's say I don't believe I coincidences... not twice..."

"What do you mean?" Goth asked softly.

"Think back, a couple weeks ago, when Chibi's governess was laid to rest, do you recall Chibi and Emiko saying something... peculiar... happening right before they left the cemetary?"

"Yes," Goth thought back. "It was right when this thrice-damned blizzard started. Chibi said they saw an amazing snow-lightning bolt. I remember commenting to Emiko how lucky she was, because snow-lightning is so rare..."

"No... besides that." Nick interrupted... "Who they said they ran into as they were leaving."

"Who they ran into? Oh, yes, it was... no... oh, no!" Goth felt his heart stop! "She's... she's my daughters best friend! Say it isn't true!"

"Yes... and that's why you must not tell anyone, especially Cassandra!" Nick looked around, as if he was suddenly afraid of being watched, and bent even closer to the old, now very, very worried, professor.

"Two weeks ago, on the night of Governess Peterson's memorial, and apparently right after encountering Chibi and Emiko at the old cemetery... Mayor Mary-Sue Pleasant vanished without a trace..."

WHnN8DK.png

The Saga of Emiko Station... and the strange Tale of Emiko Kerman... are still far, far from over...

Go to Chapter 85
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Hmmm, did someone say sea bugs?

hehehe... yeah, please catch me a few for the next chapter!  :D

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

....and a few more intriguing questions. But it's late and I will save them for later...

I'm doing another chapter today, so please hold off until then. I may provide the answers you're looking for... or give you new ones to ponder... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

Guaranteed to blow your mind...
                     Queen "Killer Queen"

Chapter 85

:0.0:   Emiko's Backstory - The Killer Queen  :0.0:

(prelude)

Later that evening, as Kerbol hid itself behind the western hills, Angelo Kerman sat deep inside Gene Kerman's private briefing room and shook his head.

"A murder-poof mystery... genius... pure genius. Gene, my friend, if things around ever return to normal around here, you must let me do one of these... please?"

ElQrquF.png

ykl052B.png

9ILGViD.png

"Normal...: Gene whispered... "What is normal anymore?"

But sitting next to him, Valentine had a sudden flash of insight and looked across the table at her grandmother, Emiko.

"Gramiko, I just realized," Val grinned. "This human... the one you said was bad..."

"Badie." Emiko corrected her with a smile. "Name was Badie."

"Right, Badie... she's the one that taught you to play a Kiano so beautifully, isn't she?"

vyVVv0P.png

"Taught her?" Chibi grinned. "Well, I suppose that's correct, technically.... Oh, Val... All of you... I wish you could have been there, could have seen her... Emiko was brilliant!"

QdQuvtX.png

It all happened the next morning, after Emiko and Chibi had dressed and eaten breakfast, and were preparing for their second day of human murder-poof adventuring in the mysterious Fishhead Hotel.

ZWRDywH.png

The girls had just finished breakfast and were off to investigate their list of suspects when Badie came strolling in, stopped, and looked down into her piano with a slight frown.

yhQ8JpD.png

5b8q309.png

"Something sounded off last night," Badie said half to herself. "Could either of you hear it?"

"No," Chibi smiled. "It was really beautiful."

"Yes," Emiko answered, much to Badie's surprise. "One note tiny bit too low... can Emiko show you?"

"What? Oh, yes, please," Badie replied, surprised and a little amused. "Be my guest."

I0Brr4z.png

jiDpKPT.png

Emiko lifted her left hand, and again Badie was surprised when she began playing a delicate and beautiful C-minor arpeggio.

"There," Emiko smiled, "Second white thingie... Emiko hears it, sounds just a tiny bit too low."

"Why, I'll be..." Badie listed close and smiled. "I think you're right... My dear, you have a marvelous ... ear... oh, wow...."

Badie drifted off, and a ripple of goosebumps shivered down from her head to her toes as Emiko brought up her left hand, shifted her tempo ever so slightly... and began playing....

"No... No, it can't be!" Badie whispered in both shock, and awe. "Chopin... the Nocturne... I played this last night... Emiko, that's lovely!"

yUC1xFB.png

For a few minutes neither said a word, and just listened, until Badie couldn't hold any longer and turned to Chibi with a look of wonder.

"Chibi.. she's a prodigy. How long has she been playing?"

But before she could answer, Emiko, without missing a note, looked up with a smile.

"Emiko been playing about 6 minutes... more or less."

btpFsbU.png

It took a moment for Badie to stop laughing, but when she did, Chibi looked at her with a proud grin.

"No, seriously... Emiko never played before this morning."

YnL16qk.png

Badie stood stunned... never???

"Yes, never," Chibi nodded, easily reading the expression on Badie's face. "My dear Emiko has the most amazing photographic memory... and she watched you very carefully last night. I wouldn't be surprised if she knows every song you did."

"Every song???" Badie whispered. "Emiko... Is this true?"

qRuQJZh.png

"Well..." Emiko laughed, never missing a note. "Emiko may be photographic... but lens a little cracked..."

"Oh, hush, you!" Chibi giggled, playfully slapping Emiko on the shoulder. "Just play..."

"But..." Badie shook her head. "But if she does remember... Emiko... can you play the song I did last night, the one right after this one?"

Emiko thought for a second, then in the most graceful of arcs, shifted the tempo, and slammed her hands down on the keys in a blindly fury... and Badie felt her heart skip a beat...

"Chibi..." Badie whispered, trying to keep her tears back. "This is Etude Op 10 No.12.... Revolutionary... I've been playing since I was 7, and to this day I can still just barely do it justice... But listen to her... Oh, listen to her.... Chibi.... Chopin himself would weep!!!!

174mxjJ.png

"I... I have to try something," Badie smiled at Chibi, then turned to Emiko. "Emiko, sweetheart, how well can you improvise?"

"Emiko never try," Emiko answered, now breathing really hard and fast, but still playing flawlessly.

"The last song I played last night," Badie explained quickly, "It was really long, do you remember?"

"Yes," Emiko panted.

"It's supposed to be a guitar/ piano duet.. mostly... can you do it?"

"Yes... maybe... Emiko try!"

"Sweet!" Badie grinned, then looked back at Chibi with a mischievous smile.

"Come on, you, too, girl... I saw you singing along last night... I know you know the words..."

M6lWmWJ.png

Chibi tried her best not to completely freak out as Badie quickly walked over and jacked up her guitar, then looked over at Emiko and called out...

"Emiko... with me... two... three..."

Badie then reached her foot out, hit one of her foot-pedals... and suddenly the room was bathed in pink and purple...

x5ZTV9g.png

zqC3jgA.png

For several seconds Chibi stood frozen, not believing it was really happening, until Badie looked at her, smiled, and nodded again...

She knew she had a few seconds left to make up her mind, but not much longer... but how could she not? And sucking up as much courage as she could, trying to keep her legs steady, Chibi walked up, grabbed the microphone in her shaking hands... and thought to herself...

...wait for it, Chibi... wait for it.... 

hCCgktb.png

... wait for it.... NOW!

"Well.... woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand
Whose wine, what wine, where the heck did I dine?
Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been
Come on, let's do it again..."

8UdLukl.png

And for the next 15 or so minutes Chibi sang her brains out, then watched as Emiko and Badie played a staggering improvisational duet... and finally Chibi joined back in, and the three ended the song laughing and gasping for air and barely able to stand.

WrF7Pfc.png

pdK9lZK.png

Lpzr9rw.png

"Girls... wow..." Badie laughed and gave both Emiko and Chibi a wet, sweaty hug. "That was amazing... I'm serious... I don't get to play like that nearly enough... You both have to join me again later tonight, please?"

kZRBMcp.png

RbF2Ayn.png

"It's up to Emiko," Chibi grinned, but was suddenly cut off by the sounds of pots and pans banging around in the kitchen... a sound she had been waiting for. "Oh, will you both excuse me a second? I want to try and coax that delightful thermadore recipe out of chef leBeau, if I can."

"Oh, absolutely," Badie smiled back. "You'd do well to catch him now, and not later when he's cooking."

mlKJv6T.png

6JQr6Ox.png

Once Chibi was gone, Badie turned back to Emiko.

"Now you're sure you'll be all right playing in front of people?" 

"Emiko think so... but might need a nap first."

"Hahaha..." Badie laughed. "I can't lie, I might take a short one before the show, too. Trust me, just do what you did here and you'll be amazing. Any questions?"

jQeFDuK.png

q1Mq7rC.png

This was the moment Chibi told her about, and Emiko felt a tingle of murder-poof excitement...

"Well... Emiko has one..." Emiko paused for effect... "Why did Badie splash Malcolm-jerk human last night in the face?"

"Malcolm-jerk human??" Badie repeated, a small but devilish smile spreading across her face. "Malcolm-jerk.... hehehe. Yeah, Emiko, you got that right...."

b3Cztwz.png

Badie looked around, as if afraid of being seen or heard, then whispered to Emiko.

"I like you, and I think I can trust you, Emiko. You really want to know what the jerk did?"

Badie moved in even closer. 

"Not here... follow me. I know just the place where we can be alone." Badie paused, then grinned evilly. "Besides, it's Audrey's feeding time... and girl, you are not going to want to miss this!"

DO3u047.png

twnJwbV.png

nDKel8L.png

Curious and excited she was about to learn her first ever murder-poof mystery clues, Emiko followed Badie eagerly to the locked door leading out to a small conservatory.

"Now, Emiko," Badie explained before she unlocked the door. "When we go out, you must do exactly what I say, to the letter, and do not touch anything... Do you understand?"

"Emiko understand... promise to keep hands in pockets."

"Well, you don't have to go quite that far," Badie laughed and led Emiko inside. "Just be careful... Audrey hasn't been fed since yesterday and could be... well, unpredictable."

4zEU4pa.png

gS1U1EQ.png

7NEb4mJ.png

jGtEFeY.png

The room was small, made entirely of glass, and despite the harsh cold outside, surprisingly hot and humid... and filled with strange and exotic plants...

...and... cake? No, it couldn't be...

Wait... yes, that was definitely a piece of cake Emiko spotted in that really bizarre looking flower...

PJ97YRX.png

Oh, yummy, cake," Emiko grinned. 

"No!" Badie called out in a surprisingly harsh tone, and at first Emiko thought she was being yelled at. But it became clear in another second that Badie was't yelling at Emiko...

She was scolding the weird cake-flower thing!!!

"No... NO! Bad girl... BAD girl! Emiko is not food... Emiko is NOT FOOD!"

MBc7fTz.png

C66a2iq.png

After a few seconds more scolding, to Emiko's continued fascination, the flower thing pulled the piece of cake back into what Emiko now realized was some sort of mouth, and lowered it's head like a scolded puppy.

"That's better." Badie smiled, and scratched the flower thing on it's chin... or what looked like a chin...

Jfh73r8.png

rw9EKHn.png

"That's mommy's good girl," Badie smiled, then reached over and pulled a big hunk of meat from a barrel and began waving it in front of the monstrous plant.

And Emiko couldn't help but laugh when the giant plant once again acted more than anything like some great plant like puppy... only now it was begging for a treat.

BHnRuCm.png

Viy2BHH.png

"Who's a hungry girl... who's a hungry girl???"

Badie grinned and waved the leg of whatever it was a couple more times in front of the curious plant, then reached back and hurled the leg high into the mist that had accumulated in the ceiling of the conservatory...

"Catch!"

CAx04hA.png

P7hnIQp.png

1hBOYUw.png

While most humans might have recoiled in horror, this wasn't really much weirder than anything else she had seen, and Emiko just laughed at the sight.

"Emiko assuming this is Audrey?"

"Yes... well, technically her name is Audrey the 3rd," Badie explained, sounding now more than anything like a proud mother. "She's a variation of Rickamoranis audrey that was discovered growing in an obscure Amazonian cow pasture, hence the bovine features. She very well might be a new, unique sub-species of R. Audrey."

"Oh, neat," Emiko grinned and sat down. "But why not just feed Malcolm-jerk to Audrey plant?"

YiZh4sW.png

This time it was several minutes before Badie could stop laughing...

"Oh... oh, Emiko... you have no idea, girl... no idea... hehehe," Badie was still giggling. "It would serve him right... but Audrey has good taste, she'd probably just spit him right back out"

"Ewwww..." now it was Emiko's turn to laugh... "Blechhhh... Emiko NOT want to see that!"

And for a few minutes both of them sat and laughed, until Emiko looked at Badie and asked as gently as she could.

"Malcolm-jerk hurt Badie, didn't he? Is Badie all right? Badie can tell Emiko..."

For a moment Badie said nothing, then she sighed and smiled sadly.

"Yeah.. yeah... you're right, Emiko. And maybe it would help if I told someone..."

O9GiWju.png

A couple hours later Emiko back in the dining room with Chibi and Darren, wolfing down a lunch of something called lime-seared sea-bugs, and excitedly relaying to her friends what she had learned.

DiWmbSg.png

"...and that's when Badie tells Emiko that Malcolm-jerkface... cheated on Badie! Night before Badie and Malcolm-jerk getting married!"

"Whoa..." Darren whistled between bites. "That would definitely provide a motive if ever I heard was one."

"Did she say who he cheated with," Chibi asked excitedly. 

"Yes," Emiko whispered and grinned... "Chibi going to love this... Badie said Malcolm-jerk caught with... Alexandra bar-keep lady!!!"

VJ4n285.png

"Sppppppptttt............. no..." Chibi choked. "Seriously? I got no-where with chef leBeau, I think he may be clean. But this business about Ms. Alexandra... that might be a real lead. Well done, Emiko!"

"And you, Dennis," Chibi turned to her friend and asked. "You've been sitting there grinning like a cat with a canary... I assume you got something from Greeves?"

"Only the jackpot, dear myst-sis," Darren gloated. "Turns out ol' Greeves hated Landgrabb, said something about their fathers being partners until both were killed in some accident... Well... turns out after the funeral old miss Abigail, she not only inherits the Landgrabb fortunes, but also manages to swindle Greeve's family for all they have as well!"

"Oh.. wow..." Chibi and Emiko both gasped.

"Yup..." Darren lowered his voice before continuing. "And here the kicker... According to Greeves, there's a rumor that says old lady Landgrabb hid all that money somewhere in this very hotel!"

"Ah HA!" Chibi whispered triumphantly. "So that's what this is really about! Well played, Auntie Cassandra... well played. But we have you now. What else did you learn?"

"Not much," Darren shook his head. "Oh, wait, one more thing... a journal. Greeves started to mention some lost journal, that might have the location inside... but we were interrupted at that point, and I haven't seen him since."

"A lost journal..." Chibi mused. "There are literally thousands of books around the hotel... and I'm betting it isn't one of them... it won't be out in the open..."

"Then where does Chibi think it is?" Emiko asked excitedly.

LzZDWKH.png

"There is one place... yeah... knowing my aunt." Chibi grinned wickedly. "If I were put money on it, I'd bet we'll find it upstairs, on the third floor, in old lady Abigail's locked bedroom."

"Oh, yeah..." Darren nodded. "It's probably hidden inside somewhere. Chibi, you're the sneaky one, no offence, why don't you and Emiko have a look after lunch, and I'll see if I can use my charm on Ms. Alexandra."

"Oh, please..." Chibi rolled her eyes... "That'll be the day! But Emiko was the one who talked to Badie, so Ms. Alex will be watching for her. OK, you talk to Ms. Alex, Emiko and I will see if we can get into the locked bedroom."

"Then it's settled, we'll meet back here at dinner," Darren raised his glass. "To team... Oh, wait, we have Emiko now, and should have a new name. What shall we call ourselves?"

Emiko looked down at her plate and began to giggle uncontrollably...

"Team Sea-Bug..."

85E4EEe.png

Chibi nearly dropped her glass laughing, but Darren just looked over and grinned and raised his glass even higher.

"Team Sea-bug it is! Salute!"

IAXakIk.png

nIaAGS6.png

But the afternoon came and passed, and dinner arrived... and to Badie's surprise and disappointment, Emiko and Chibi were no-where to be seen.

FnOFifl.png

gILudRc.png

Back in the bar, Chibi's uncle Nick was once again busy on his cellphone, and growing more frustrated by the minute. Something about this whole thing felt... wrong. But he couldn't put his finger on it, and this only served to fuel his frustration even more. Were the girls in danger? And now, to matters worse, instead of getting answers, he was finding himself being stonewalled by the very people he once worked for...

cmRqiMx.png

When he looked at the facts, on two separate occasions someone went missing right after meeting with the Emiko and Chibi. But if the girls were the intended target, why weren't they taken? In fact, it appeared the kidnappings, if that's what they truly were, happened each time just after the girls left. This suggested not only were the girls not the intended targets, someone(s) had gone out of their way to stay unnoticed until after they were gone... 

Logically, when you look at the facts, it appears the timing of their visits was only coincidental, and the girls should be fine...

But if that were the case... then why were every one of Nicks instincts screaming take caution... the girls are in danger???

tCyber1.png

Back in the dining room, Badie had just finished up her first set, and decided to have a quick look around for the girls, and ask if they were still going to come up and jam with her for a song or three.

BysQ556.png

O9D06Zj.png

In the bar Nick had just slammed his cell phone off and stood looking out the back window. Professor Goth, knowing his friend was upset, came up and asked as gently as he could.

"What can I do, my friend?"

WHnN8DK.png

"Damn cell towers just went down again!" Nick paused, then smashed his fist into his other hand in frustration... and then took a deep breath and tried to calm himself.

"I'm sorry. Truth is... I don't know what's the matter," Nick admitted. "My head is telling me one thing, and my gut another... and as unprofessional as it may sound... I just have this... this feeling... that something is very, very wrong."

Nick stopped and took another deep breath...

"And I'm not seeing it!" he continued. "I'm missing something, I can feel it.... I keep asking myself, who's actually behind these kidnappings? The ET's? Unlikely, why would they abduct their own kind? The reports said zombies...  But this can't be either. There are very few on Earth that can raise a small army of zombies... very few..."

510vqla.png

"I've made a few more... discrete... calls," Nick continued. "There is no sign of foreign involvement in any of these abductions either, covert or otherwise. In fact, most other countries seem to know nothing of Belladonna Cove at all."

"Then who...." Goth whispered. "I begin to understand your frustration, my friend. And I agree... we appear to be still missing some pieces to this puzzle."

"Yes, exactly," Nick shook his head. "And the worst part is until we identify this unknown kidnapper, we can't be sure one way or the other if the girls are..."

But just then Nick was interrupted by Cassandra Goth entering from the side with a broad smile!

vsl5VgV.png

"And what are you two whispering about in the corner?" Cassandra asked playfully as she walked up to her father and Nick. "Keeping secrets are we?"

"Oh, posh," Professor Goth huffed as indignantly as he could. "Nothing of the sort... unless,perhaps, you want to know what I'm getting you for your birthday."

"Oh, father," Cassandra laughed... "Fine, be that way, I've got a hotel to...." 

Just then Badie came strolling in from the dining room with a huge smile.

"Hey people... good show tonight, huh? Fun, fun!!"

Ec6OD2H.png

6oYq6k5.png

kBwRdGR.png

"Have any of you seen Emiko or Chibi this evening? They were going to do a set with me," Badie asked Cassandra and the others. "Oh, boss, Emiko is such a surprise! I can't wait for you to hear her. But they're not at their table."

Cassandra thought a second, then smiled. 

"Last I saw they were heading upstairs in quite a hurry. If I know young Chibi, she's either already discovered, or is now searching for, the way into the murder-room. In fact, at the rate they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having the whole thing solved before much longer."

QRvTewk.png

"Yeah, they're both really clever," Badie nodded. "I'm just sorry your buddy mayor Mary-Sue couldn't make it here for the ending... that would have been a hoot."

"I know," Cassandra shook her head. "I don't understand, I just talked to her a couple hours ago, and she said she would definitely make it for the grand finale..."

"What???" Nick and professor suddenly and simultaneously roared!

fYYQiOb.png

CQ1s3VF.png

"No... NO!" Nick pounded himself on the head. "I knew something was wrong... I knew it!

"What?" Cassandra asked, suddenly quite frightened at Nick's tone. "What's wrong? Dad?"

"Cassy, listen," Goth tried to keep his voice steady. "Your friend, Mayor Mary-Sue... Sweetheart, Mary-Sue Pleasant has been missing for nearly 2 weeks..."

"Missing?" Cassandra gasped. "But... but... that's impossible... I just talked to her...."

"It's true," Nick said matter-of-factly. "So if you talked to the mayor recently... then I can only assume who ever is holding her may be forcing her to cooperate... Think, what exactly did she say? As exact as you can remember."

"Well, I... I talked to her yesterday morning, and when I mentioned Chibi and Emiko would be visiting, she said she wished she could be here. So I asked if she wanted to play the part of lady Abigail in the ending scene tonight..."

"Wait..." Nick interrupted. "You mentioned Chibi and Emiko... by name?"

"Yes..." Cassandra whispered in mounting terror. "Yes... Oh... Oh, no... the girls..."

"Yes, the girls..." Nick said in a voice like hardened steel... "We need to find them... and we need to get everyone else out of here... now!"

Jr4cadS.png

"What do I tell the other guests?" Cassandra was trying not to panic, and keep her head as best she could. What she needed was not just an excuse to get everyone out of the hotel and to safety, but also a way to notify the authorities... the real ones this time... as fast as possible.

And then it hit her, and she ran as fast as she could into the dining room and began waving her arms to get everyone attention.

tlkjI8V.png

FRTWKL3.png

"Everyone, please, may I have you attention!" Cassandra said in a loud voice. "Please, this is not part of the show, we may have a real emergency. I don't want you all to panic, but Chef leBeau thinks he may have just smelled a gas leak!"

Around the room everyone gasped and began to rise from their seats.

WBaT0e7.png

"I need everyone to evacuate as fast as possible, and get as far from here as you can... and someone... as many of you as possible... contact emergency services... cops... firemen... whoever.... get them her as fast as you can!"

"And you, Auntie Cassandra?" Darren asked as he started to run for the door.

"I need to make sure everyone else is out," Cassandra tried to smile confidently. "Then we'll be right behind you..."

2YCz4Nr.png

DpF7rjk.png

xsYrGzT.png

Once the guest were out and safely away, Nick had everyone assemble in the small front lobby.

"So is everyone accounted for besides Chibi and Emiko? Wait... where's your butler, Greeves?

"I don't know." Cassandra shrugged. "I haven't seen him since early this afternoon."

YUaqd1W.png

26iRsHY.png

"All right, then we need to locate him as well. Let's split up. Cassandra, you, your father and I will go search this "murder-room" and look for the girls. Alexandra, you and Badie check the second floor for Greeves."

"And I, Monsieur?" chef leBeau asked.

"Chef, I need you down here; watch the door. Make sure no one gets in or out until we return," Nick said as he reached into his jacket pocket, pulled a small card, and handed it to leBeau. 

"And I need you to try and call the number on that card. Cell towers are down again, so keep trying. Tell them the name on that card, and that I request backup immediately. Understood?"

Chef leBeau looked down at the card Nick had handed to him, and his eyes seemed to bulge for just the briefest of seconds, and his head snapped back up rigidly.

"Oui... oui, monsieur!"

"OK, the rest of you, lets move... and pray this is just some big false alarm!"

jMkZJk5.png

When they reached the second floor Alexandra and Badie went from room to room, searching and calling out for Greeves and the girls both, but found nothing...

L5NjrzG.png

OtujcJC.png

2PWB6HG.png

yqbitfN.png

And up on the third floor, Cassandra led Nick and her father down the long hall, quickly checking each room as they passed, until they reached a small turn in the hall leading to a much older looking door than all the rest.

"The murder-room," Cassandra said softly. "It's locked, but if you'll give me a moment, I still may be able to tell you if the girls have been in here yet or not."

k9Vp3Q8.png

"Why the name murder-room?" Nick asked as Cassandra began running her hand along one of the large, ornate urns standing on either side of the door.

"Well, technically, according to the story line this is lady Abigail Landgrabb's old room," Cassandra explained as she felt around the urn for... something. "But Badie and Alex started calling it the murder-room when they were decorating it, and, well... the name just stuck... Ahhh, there you are!"

And with that there was a loud click, and Lady Abigail's bedroom door slowly creaked open.

"If you will follow me," Cassandra said as she entered, "I just need to check one thing..."

tzYvzDT.png

ot0z8P2.png

53S48Fv.png

DT43FIN.png

"Oh, isn't this cozy..." Nick laughed sarcastically when he looked around. "I begin to understand where the name came from. Now, what is it we're looking for?"

"This..." Cassandra answered, looking down at an old, tattered book on the desk. "Lady Abigail's lost journal... and it's been moved. Well, I would say beyond a doubt the girls were already here."

QpSNUaG.png

"Then where would they be now?" 

"The only place left," Cassandra explained. "The hidden wine-cellar in the basement."

"A hidden wine-cellar?" Professor Goth looked his daughter with sudden surprise. "You never told me about that!"

"It was just recently discovered," Cassandra admitted. "And I kept the renovations secret. I.... I was planning on surprising all of you later with it... as soon as the girls solved the mystery."

"But if it's secret, and hidden..." Nick wondered. "There's no way someone could have gotten into it without the rest of us seeing or knowing it... is there?"

Cassandra looked at her father, and all the color drained from her face.

"Is there?"

"You'd better tell him, Cassy," Professor Goth told his daughter softly.

"I... I can't." Cassandra shook her head. "You tell him, daddy... please."

"Nick, my daughter and Mary-Sue Pleasant have been best friends since they were six.... they grew up together," Goth whispered. "And Cassandra knows the one secret no-one else in the entire world does... Mary-Sue's deepest, most closely guarded secret... that at this moment only three other people know, myself, Cassandra... and now you."

"What is this?" Nick wasn't sure he wanted to know, but needed to anyway.

"Mary-Sue Pleasant, recently elected mayor of Belladonna Cove... is a witch..."

"What?!?" 

"Yes," Cassandra nodded. "And if she wanted to, she could teleport herself, or others, anywhere... with her eyes closed!"

"Damn..." Nick suddenly had that same feeling of impending danger he had earlier, only this time in spades...

"Take us to this wine-cellar, now!

huasNFF.png

On their way to the basement, as Cassandra ran through the main lobby, Badie called out and intercepted her.

"Did you find them?"

"No, they must be in the wine-cellar," Cassandra answered hurriedly. "You and Alex... nothing?"

"No," Badie answered, clearly shaken. "I can't find Greeves anywhere."

"It's OK," Cassandra tried to sound reassuring. "Chances are he's with the girls... I want you and Alex to stay here with..."

"No!" Badie objected. "I'm coming with you."

"But... dear," Cassandra began to object. "It could be dangerous."

"Then I'm definitely coming!" Badie sounded even more resolute. "I... I really like those girls... Please, I want to help if I can."

hvDM22I.png

"Fine..." Cassandra sighed. "But we have to hurry!" 

And the two of them ran down to the small billiard room, where Nick and Professor Goth were waiting impatiently.

KgQMe2d.png

"It's behind the bookcase, isn't it," Nick said more than asked when he saw Cassandra coming down the staircase.

"But I can't seem to find the catch..."

"Wrong kind of locking mechanism," Cassandra smiled, then reached for a large, ornately decorated book entitled "The Mysterious Mystery of the Murdery Murderdeth", and pulled it forward and down...

And slowly the bookcase swung open.....

bU50YyF.png

ieWBSey.png

UjjARCF.png

QqWJMAe.png

But as it opened, a terrified scream rang out.... a scream that was definitely not part of the murder-poof mystery... and the four ran as fast as possible into the wine-cellar...

... and froze in horror at what they discovered...

x48SMq7.png

OISQL3t.png

Rj65bmc.png

On the ground before them lie Greeves, the butler... some sort of smoke or vapor rising from his lifeless body.... and Chibi sobbing over him in obvious anguish... Next to them Emiko stood trembling, hand in the air, and apparently threatened by...

"d'Alain..." whispered. "Simon... my friend... what is this madness?"

And behind them all, eyeing Chibi with a look of absolute disgust... was none other than Mary-Sue herself!

ajKTkvS.png

Suddenly and without warning, a sick, oily voice slithered across Nick's.... and everyone else mind... a voice that seemed to resemble, and also emanate, from Mary-Sue... despite her lips never actually moving!

"Why do you snivel so, you little abomination? Did this one not stand up and fight to protect you and your pathetic friend before his end?" the voice of Mary-Sue seemed to sneer. "His attempt was hopeless, yet he died with his fist raised... I can respect that... Unlike you... you... cowardly... thing!"

Professor Goth was speechless... as was Cassandra.... this was NOT her best friend... could not be... could it?

And Nick... well, he was furious... but this is where his training came into play, and finally realizing his situation for what it really was, he whipped off his glasses, reached inside his jacket, and pulled out a small, metal... thing... that he then pointed at Mary-Sue.

l7Huugm.png

Emiko recognized the little metal thing... sort of... she had seen them occasionally on TV with Chibi, and knew they had several names, such as gun, or pistol... or some with very elaborate names. She didn't really understand what they were or how they worked, and every time she had asked, Chibi would reply "You really don't want to know" and promptly change the subject. All she knew is they were really loud, and really dangerous, and she held her breath and hoped Nick could use this... whatever it was... to get her and Chibi out of here.

"Step away from the girls... now!" Nick shouted. But Mary-Sue just turned and looked at him and smiled with mild amusement.

"I am a federal agent with SCIA, licensed and empowered to use deadly force if and when necessary without the prior authorization of my superiors," Nick called out menacingly. "I'm giving only one more warning... release the girls... now!"  

"Oh... my... how impressive," Mary-Sue's horrific, oily voice chuckled sarcastically in Nick's mind... "Do you really think you can stop... me?"

Then slowly Mary-Sue's body tingled and lurched, and began to rise off the ground... and bolts of power began to seethe around her.....

QmrgrhY.png

YteLQCk.png

"Stop... STOP!" Nick yelled over the cackling electrical bolts... but instead Mary-Sue's voice rang out in all their minds on again...

"Pitiful HUMANS!!! I am Empress of the Galaxy... and the slayer of worlds!! Do you think you can stop me???

Then Emiko's ear's split, and her eyes were temporally blinded... and it took her a moment to realize it was Nick using the metal gun thing, over and over, trying to stop Mary-Sue!

7ESFdpG.png

IqFj4FF.png

Once the noise stopped Emiko opened her eyes... and gasped!

Nick stood looking down at the metal thing in a sort of shocked disbelief,... and Mary-Sue... who Emiko assumed would be quite poofed by now... was still standing and staring at him... and smiling!

"Awww..." her nasty, oily voice slithered through Emiko's brain. "Silly human seems to have missed..."

BoLhXGu.png

"Now... enough of these games," Mary-Sue's voice grew cold... so very cold. "Any more interference, and my minion fries this Emiko's mind." 

"Noooo!" Chibi screamed. "Nooo!"

"Silence!" Mary-Sue's voice roared at Chibi! "Be thankful I need this other one's cooperation, you little monster, or I would gladly incinerate you first!"

Chibi cringed, while the others stood frozen, afraid to do or say anything that could endanger the girls.

"What do you want?" Nick asked as evenly as he could.

Mary-Sue's horrific voice laughed again.

"Now... that's better. As for what I desire? Why, nothing from you... nothing from you at all. Or these others... Only Emiko, who is beginning, I think, to realize the... gravity... hehehe... of her situation, yes?"

"Emiko NOT help nasty Kraken lady... NEVER!"

I4IL8nt.png

"Oh, but you will, my dear... you will...." Mary-Sue's voice laughed more evilly than ever. "Perhaps...perhaps if I were to provide you with some companionship... yes?"

Mary-Sue looked at the horrified onlookers, then spotted Badie... poor Badie, who until now had managed to remain relatively unnoticed, and was desperately trying to open the bookcase and flee.... until she saw Mary-Sue staring at her... and she knew.. she knew....

"No... please... stay back..."

4e1Q3gx.png

"Oh, yes," Mary-Sue chuckled in Badie's mind... "Your terror is delectable... and I always did like red... you will do nicely"

And Mary-Sue lifted her hand... and another wave of unknown power surged through her...

And Badie... poor Badie.... suddenly arched back and let forth a blood freezing scream as she felt her mind being shoved back into the deepest recesses of her brain... 

li8sLfH.png

9YF1z5n.png

For several seconds Badie seemed to lurch and writhe... then go completely motionless, and slowly... unnaturally... she rose back up to stare at Mary-Sue... But her eyes... her eyes... Chibi knew the second she looked into them... Badie had just been taken over by another of these Kraken... things.

Q7U9kpc.png

66y6lyS.png

"Badie... please... it's me... Chibi... don't you remember me?" Chibi sobbed as Badie strode past her, then turned and snarled... 

And an even more cold, caustic voice erupted in Chibi's mind.

"Vile thing... creature.... abomination... do not DARE speak to me... I should annihilate you where you stand!!!"

psUVBc9.png

Suddenly Emiko voice rang out...

"No... NO! Badie STOP NOW!" Emiko turned to Mary-Sue and yelled on the top of her lings. "Kraken-lady monster NOT HURT CHIBI!!!"

wS28nny.png

Now the monster possessing Mary-Sue seemed genuinely amused, as did her minions Badie and d'Alain.

"Oh, my... how precious... the little parasite has fangs after all..." Mary-Sue's horrid voice rang out. "Outstanding, little one... there might be a chance for you, yet."

For a moment Mary-Sue stood and smiled, then looked over at Chibi in absolute revulsion before turning back and addressing to Emiko again.

"You care about this... this... thing... a lot, do you?"

"Yes," Emiko nodded emphatically. "Emiko loves Chibi... and Chibi not a thing!"

"So be it..." Mary-Sue sighed. "You do realize exactly what I could do to her with no more than a mere thought...."

"Do NOT hurt CHIBI!!!" Emiko screamed again, then stood up straight and looked Mary-Sue straight in the eye. 

"Kraken-lady Mary-Sue monster promises to let Chibi and the others go..." Emiko said as bravely as she could muster. "Emiko will come... willingly."

YnWluB2.png

"Emiko... NOOOO!" Chibi screamed!!! "Nooo, you... you can't!"

"Yes..." Emiko turned to Chibi and tried her best to put on her bravest smile. "Emiko... has to... Only way to keep Chibi safe..."

kmJTgii.png

jnDJEPE.png

Chibi was paralyzed with grief... and could only stand there, shaking in horror, as Emiko turned to Mary-Sue and said as bravely as she could.

"I'm ready..."

And thru her raining tears, Chibi watched as Emiko was suddenly swept up along with the others in tiny wormholes, and vanished... to who knows where!!!

iU1WRlz.png

6r5ZeHx.png

9W4KoEE.png

wJT6wHq.png

"Emiko... Emiko... why?"

Chibi sobbed as the others looked on and tried to console her. But the pain and grief and rage and loss ripped thru her like a thousand nightmares... and it was only seconds before sorrow consumed her completely, and Chibi fainted away into merciful oblivion.

iads1O4.png

j0mPoMK.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the Strange Tale of Emiko Kerman, are far, far from over...

Go to Chapter 86
Return to Index

Also, for those who may be interested, here are two excellent renditions of the Chopin pieces Emiko played in this chapter, as performed by the amazing Valentina Lisitsa... Enjoy:

Spoiler

The first was:

And the second:

Edited by Just Jim
Lots of little mistakes... and I probably still missed a few...

Hey everyone, quick note. 

I was half asleep when I finished and posted chapter 85 last night, and I missed several typo's that I've hunted down and fixed this morning. Don't be surprised if I still missed a couple, just send me a pm if you find one, OK?

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Doesn't the Kraken Lady know that Badie is a member of Squad??? She's totally gonna get it.

I know... lol... and I can't wait for @Badie to find out what just happened to her.... lmao... :D

Edited by Just Jim

33 minutes ago, Badie said:

I can´t wait for the next chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 

You're going to have to... you've been...MINIONED! :D

@Just Jim:

Another great and fun chapter. Loved the scientific name for the man-eating plant, Rickamoranis audrey! That was brilliant!

There are a few questions I have, but at the risk of being a spoiler, I'll send them in a private message when I get more time. :D

Imagines:

* BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM! click, click, click*

"Now we're talkin'!"

And who else but me could this come from, but the muzzle flash is a bit too bright, even for occurring in a dark room. If that's possible u may wanna turn it down a little if more shooting happens in the backstory.

Oh yeah, and while I'm on topic:

Testing my Zoraki 914 (blank gun) right after I had bought it, the slow mo gives a little insight what a muzzle flash and firing a gun in general could look like.

Edited by DualDesertEagle

30 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Testing my Zoraki 914 (blank gun) right after I had bought it, the slow mo gives a little insight what a muzzle flash and firing a gun in general could look like.

Oh, wow... thank you!

I definitely agree... it was too bright. I thought the same thing. Problem is the Sims game the pistol doesn't actually fire, it's just a prop. So I'm using Photoshop to simulate the flash, and it's not really the best tool this time. When I get a few minutes I'm going to look at this carefully and touch up those two pics.

Thanks again, the video helps a lot!!!

Edited by Just Jim

57 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

"Emiko may be photographic... but lens a little cracked"

That is a good one!

hehe... this would be Emiko's explanation of how, one the one hand, she can play a Chopin masterpiece after hearing and seeing it only one time... but still screw up something like "The Ornamental Express".

She remembers all the details... but the lens was cracked... film was a little smudged... lmao...

That's our Emiko!  :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.