In KSP we have Space Crafts and Planes it has lots of water but we cant really go explore it. It would be nice if we could have submarines with special engine and pod types. I know currently there isn't much in the sea so you could add some coral or easter eggs under the water. The sub engines would basically be propellers under water. The submarine parts will have a setting for buoyancy level determining if it should sink or float overall. The submarine has a set of parts for it you get engines, fueltanks, and pods, with parts to weigh your craft down. You wouldn't get too much science under water but you would get some and when going eva with a kerbal, while swimming ctrl and shift should make you go up or down.

For this to work the water will need alot of changes like :

Better underwater effects,

A bottom view of the sea like when your in a pool and see the waves upsidedown,

Less light the farther down you go,

Water Pressure,

Compressed ores at the bottom,

3D underwater light models,

Water not being like concrete mainly softer for impacts,

A part that is only in the code that removes all water in your ship testing for all around where it can spread and where water can get in(like an air bubble to not have the inside of you place filled with water or water come through walls),

Coral(always rendered no matter what settings unless its farther than 3 km or more than a setting for max amount being 20-unlimited(mainly 100,000) and it would be very tall being able to hide ships in it).

That sound like a nice set of features for mods...

That's a lot of work for an aspect that isn't the game focus... It is, after all, a Space Program.. :)

Not many people care about underwater exploration, since it isn't what the game is about, so spending all that work on that aspect seems like a waste..

I'm an advocate that this isn't a mod, rather ANOTHER FREAKEN GAME. (No I'm Serious, Kerbal Naval Program lol!)

Now on a more serious note there isn't much that can be done in water. We get the ability to finally "dive" under water without doing crazy things or use mods. But that doesn't mean this should have its own huge part category.

Even In real life sub-liquid exploration isn't even close to being considered, the only exploration is done on our own planet. So leave it up to the mods for submarine exploration on Kerbin, its a fun little thing but thats all.

I'd like to be able to do some science underwater, not much...but enough to give you a reason to go down there. Just make it a biome, maybe even do some milestones for certain depths?

I find exploring Kerbin in the early game to be very fun and a great way to build up science/experience for trips off world.

Since the water changes in 1.0.5 I haven't even bothered making a submarine, there just isn't any point really.

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'd like to be able to do some science underwater, not much...but enough to give you a reason to go down there. Just make it a biome, maybe even do some milestones for certain depths?

I find exploring Kerbin in the early game to be very fun and a great way to build up science/experience for trips off world.

Since the water changes in 1.0.5 I haven't even bothered making a submarine, there just isn't any point really.

The game DOES keep track of your deepest depths and you get PAID for it. I worked on a few sub designs and found it cool that I get paid like 10k funds for diving deeper from the world record people. I wasn't able to try science though. So yea there is a reason to go down there, but currently designed subs is a pain, so it can't really be done early in the game. But its a fun little thing.

I think a few parts that enable better under water exploration would be in order for stock, though not too many.  A couple of different sized propulsion units and ballast tanks would probably do it.

The main focus should always be on space of course, but there are seas on two other bodies apart from Kerbin, so it makes sense to make their exploration part of the game too.  After all IRL there are plans to explore Europa's seas so why not in KSP?  We all want more places to explore so why not the oceans?  They are already there, so no heavy modelling or extra planets to create, just add a few anomalies and monoliths for interest and generate appropriate contracts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.