Potentially Habitable Exoplanets

Spaceception

24 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Thats a hell of alot of CO2 when you haven't done any atmospheric studies,mthis is on top of nitrogen and other gases. 

What if Methane also played a role? Instead of 4.9 atm of CO2, there could be a total atmosphere mass of 1-3 atm, which would include a total 75% greenhouse gases. The remaining 25% could be oxygen, nitrogen, argon, sulfur, krypton, etc.

Also, we're not used to huge CO2 emissions on Earth because of our planet's size and our species' capabilities with technology. Hopefully, we won't get an atmosphere like that of Kepler-62f.

17 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

What if Methane also played a role? Instead of 4.9 atm of CO2, there could be a total atmosphere mass of 1-3 atm, which would include a total 75% greenhouse gases. The remaining 25% could be oxygen, nitrogen, argon, sulfur, krypton, etc.

Also, we're not used to huge CO2 emissions on Earth because of our planet's size and our species' capabilities with technology. Hopefully, we won't get an atmosphere like that of Kepler-62f.

They fabricated an amount to make it work, its what i call an ' if and if and if and if then type proposition, I cant recall an instance when someone has proposed this and it proved to be representative of future observations. 

Yes it can happen if gas from gas giants is picked up on magnetic field transfers simulated by solar activity, but hydrogen would be lost first and so were is the methane in this model. you can select any planet and craft a scenario that makes it work, otherwise known as fiction. 

8 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I also found it weird that they didn't ever think about methane, which is 30 times more powerful than CO2. But I can understand how all that carbon dioxide could get into the atmosphere: super-volcanoes caused by the larger core and size of Kepler-62f.

Lots of methane in an oxygen atmosphere is hard as it will react with oxygen, you would also get life who ate it. 
Lots of CO2 might work, an dense atmosphere would work too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eat it, Tatooine!

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2016/06/newly-discovered-tatooine-is-the-largest-ever-found

I believe that if all the extra debris left over from the formation of Kepler-1647b became just one major moon, then it could be large enough to be Earth-like. Don't expect any advanced alien civilizations on it...yet.

Also, Slooh University will be livestreaming the observation of a PHE's transit starting 2:00 UST on Friday morning. This is the same university that showed the Mercury transit and "revealed" that we have a second sun.

http://phl.upr.edu/projects/ser

I want that to render my exoplanets! ;.;

(At least, when I find some. I also want art for the already known exoplanets I observe, like HAT-P-22b)

Also, would a being-destroyed planet that may have once had life have any relation to the topic of this thread? Because scientists have found a dying planet that may have once had oceanic life.

http://www.space.com/33177-limestone-planet-consumed-by-dying-star.html

• 1 month later...

This is a first: a four-planet system around a red dwarf, with only sub-Earth-sized terrestrials and 2 in the habitable zone. Great job, Kepler! K2-72c and K2-72e are the first-ever Mini Earths! I also have to comment that the K2-72 system is a lot like our inner solar system, except shrunk down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2-72

I can't wait for the PHL to evaluate these planets to see what their ESIs are!

On 7/19/2016 at 4:58 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

This is a first: a four-planet system around a red dwarf, with only sub-Earth-sized terrestrials and 2 in the habitable zone. Great job, Kepler! K2-72c and K2-72e are the first-ever Mini Earths! I also have to comment that the K2-72 system is a lot like our inner solar system, except shrunk down.

I can't wait for the PHL to evaluate these planets to see what their ESIs are!

They may be bigger than they were reporting, I heard there was some wrong info on the paper, and they may be between twenty to fifty percent larger than Earth.

Still really awesome though, I can't wait to see the rest of the data myself :D

• 1 month later...

Almost forgot about this.

Proxima b

2nd most Earthlike planet (By ESI) found, .01 behind Kepler 438b, an exoplanet about the size of Proxima b, except with an orbital period a little over 3x longer. But unlike 438b, it's orbiting the closest star to Earth other than the Sun. This is a big discovery, because not only does it mean Earthlike planets may be way more common that we imagined, but we can study it thoroughly, maybe even visit, this century.

More info:

Proxima b M-Warm Terran Mass : ≥ 1.30 Radius: .8 - 1.1 - 1.40 Stellar flux: .70 Teq : 227 Orbit: 11.2 Distance: 4 ly ESI: 0.87

K2-72e, and maybe c.

Now, these planets are probably not smaller than Earth, but they're very interesting nonetheless, with orbits of 24 and 15 days respectively, now, so far, only e is on the catalog, but I've sent one of the people working on it an email:

Me:

I just took another look at the habitable exoplanets catalog, and found K2-72 e on it, which I hadn't noticed before, but I was wondering how this made sense.

Wolf 1061, M dwarf, .25 Solar mass, .26 Solar radii 3380 K.

Wolf 1061 c Warm terran, orbital period, 17.9 days, stellar flux, .6

Okay.

K2-72, M dwarf, .22 Solar masses, .23 Solar radii, 3497 K

K2-72 e, Warm terran, orbital period 24.2 days, stellar flux, 1.46

What? How does K2-72 e receive so much more stellar energy from its star, if it's smaller than Wolf 1061, and the planet orbits 6.2 days further? Is it because it's just 117 K hotter? How much brighter is K2-72 anyway? Maybe K2-72 c is too hot, I don't know how, but whatever. But I don't see how K2-72 e is so much warmer than Wolf 1061 c despite its parent star being smaller, and the planet orbiting further.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Prof. Abel Méndez

Hi David, I forwarded your email for a later inspection of your comments about the catalog. Thanks for the interest.

More info:

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-kepler-telescope-just-found-two-planets-that-could-support-life

K2-72 e M-Warm Terran Mass: 9.8 - 2.7 - 1.2 Radius: 1.4 Stellar flux: 1.46 Teq 280 Orbit 24.2 Distance: 181 ly ESI: 0.82

Edited by Spaceception

Possible occurrences of Earthlike planets, last updated November 2013.

http://phl.upr.edu/library/notes/occurrenceofearth-likeplanetsaroundgkmstars

And one for M type stars, last updated April 2013.

http://phl.upr.edu/library/notes/statisticsofnearbyearth-likeplanetsaroundm-dwarfsstars

Edited by Spaceception

• 6 months later...

Alright, let's get this train rolling again with some new additions and a couple of takeaways :)

The biggest addition is obviously the TRAPPIST-1 system, with 4 (Not 3, I don't know why people aren't including T-1d. anyway) potentially habitable worlds, but there's a great thread by @_Augustus_ Here where you can take your discussions :)

Other additions include:

KIC-5522786 b, which is the first potentially habitable world found around an A-type star, I haven't seen much news on it, which is honestly surprising all things considering. Anyway, this planet has a (Possible) mass of 1.8x Earth and radius of 1.2x Earth (Wow, not bad for the first confirmed A-type HZ planet). This planet orbits once every 757.2 days or ~2 years, with an ESI of .67. The only thing that could hinder its habitability (Ignoring the parent star anyway) is the amount of energy it receives, or 2.7x the energy that Earth receives, or a Teq of 305K, or 31c, now, depending on Albedo, atm comp and pressure, and magnetic field strength, this planet could be habitable for at least unicellular life, that is until the star rage quits and destroys its solar system.

Turns out, Wolf 1061c might be too hot for life, at least that's the impression I got, as it's no longer on the list.

But its been replaced by its bigger brother, Wolf 1061d, a planet with 5.2x and (Possibly) 1.7x the Earth's mass and radius respectively. While the planet might not be habitable for us, it could be a habitable gas dwarf for exotic aerial life (Which is equally awesome), this planet orbits every 67.3 days, and receives ~.3x the energy the Earth receives. or a Teq of 182K or -91.2c (Brrr), this planet could evolve multicellular life down in the future (Small animals with helium pockets anyone?) and would have plenty of time to do so, as the parent star is a red dwarf.

And finally, we have an amazing infographic by Futurisum:

Spoiler

Other-Earth-v3.jpg

The universe is an amazing place, I can't wait for the day when potentially habitable worlds are found as often as hot Jupiters. :)

Edited by Spaceception

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

KIC-5522786 b, which is the first potentially habitable world found around an A-type star, I haven't seen much news on it, which is honestly surprising all things considering. Anyway, this planet has a (Possible) mass of 1.8x Earth and radius of 1.2x Earth (Wow, not bad for the first confirmed A-type HZ planet). This planet orbits once every 757.2 days or ~2 years, with an ESI of .67. The only thing that could hinder its habitability (Ignoring the parent star anyway) is the amount of energy it receives, or 2.7x the energy that Earth receives, or a Teq of 305K, or 31c, now, depending on Albedo, atm comp and pressure, and magnetic field strength, this planet could be habitable for at least unicellular life, that is until the star rage quits and destroys its solar system.

Turns out, Wolf 1061c might be too hot for life, at least that's the impression I got, as it's no longer on the list.

But its been replaced by its bigger brother, Wolf 1061d, a planet with 5.2x and (Possibly) 1.7x the Earth's mass and radius respectively. While the planet might not be habitable for us, it could be a habitable gas dwarf for exotic aerial life (Which is equally awesome), this planet orbits every 67.3 days, and receives ~.3x the energy the Earth receives. or a Teq of 182K or -91.2c (Brrr), this planet could evolve multicellular life down in the future (Small animals with helium pockets anyone?) and would have plenty of time to do so, as the parent star is a red dwarf.

KIC 5522786b should be an interesting place. It isn't incredibly big, and I believe A-Type stars put out quite a lot of solar wind. That could help prevent a runaway greenhouse effect but still leave the planet with an atmosphere thick enough for liquid water and life. Any photosynthetic plants would be a vibrant red in color. I am going to try and find a name worthy for this planet.

Poor Wolf-1061c, getting the Gliese 581c treatment. I remember when that planet was all the exoplaneteers and science books could talk about, and when there were only 300 confirmed planets. Ah, memories!

Wolf-1061d could be interesting for some sort of life. However, because of its mass and host star's metallicity, it is dubious whether this is a habitable or way-to-drenched ocean planet. Its composition could be anywhere from 5-50% water. But take a look at K2-3. It is far less metal rich than Wolf-1061, yet has a planet made of 80-96% iron. What's also interesting is that K2-3b is about 50% water. If water content is determined by metallicity, I would expect 1061d to have between 5% and 20% water. That isn't so much that life would be impossible, but definitely a challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, less than a month later, and we're back! now we have 51 planets outside of the solar system that could support life, and both have high ESI's.

The first, and most Earthlike one is GJ 3323b or LHS 1723, which is 17.4 ly away, PHL doesn't have distance though, that's what wikipedia says.
This planet is probably 2x the mass of Earth, and 1.3x the radius, it receives about 20% more light than Earth, and orbits every 5.4 days, with an ESI of .89, making it the second most Earthlike planet to date after TRAPPIST-1d
The parent star is M4 type, with .164x the mass of the Sun, and .119x the radius with a temperature of 3159K.
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/GJ 3323 b/

The second planet, is GJ 273b, or as it's probably more commonly known, Luyten's Star b, which is about 12.4 ly away.
The planet is probably about 2.9x the mass of Earth, and 1.4x the radius of the Earth, it also receives about 20% more light than Earth, and orbits once every 18.6 days, with an ESI of .86, making it the sixth most Earthlike planet to date.
The parent star is M3 type, with .29x the mass of the Sun, and .293x the radius of the Sun, with a temperature of 3382K
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/GJ 273 b/

And, one thing to note, there are now eight planets within 20 ly that could support life, 3 of which, are extremely Earthlike, in terms of ESI.

http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog

Edited by Spaceception

Gliese 1132b, you never cease to amaze me.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39521344

Looks like this planet is water-rich. People are saying it's a steamy ocean world, but if the 1.2 Earth radius measurement still holds, then it could be a Hot Terra. Water could be kept in a liquid either by a global cooling effect (highly reflective clouds) or a thick atmosphere pushing down on the water. The equilibrium temperature is 410*K (137*C/278*F), which is similar to what the toughest extremophiles on Earth can cope with. Whether or not life could develop on this world (I've nicknamed it after the Irish goddess Aine) is a mystery. But what's cool is how in Space Engine I found a hot terra planet orbiting in a red dwarf system and named it Aine. Looks like that planet may be a reality after all....

Edited by ProtoJeb21

• 2 weeks later...

A new planet has been found orbiting a red dwarf star, it's estimated to have 7x the mass of Earth, and 1.4x the radius of Earth, so it could have a large iron core, and possibly a strong magnetic field, it orbits every 25 days, and receives about half the amount of sunlight compared to what Earth gets

Now we're just waiting for it to appear on the PHL list :)

https://futurism.com/scientists-just-discovered-an-alien-planet-thats-the-best-candidate-for-life-as-we-know-it/

http://gizmodo.com/trappist-1-has-some-serious-new-competition-for-best-pl-1794423297

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

A new planet has been found orbiting a red dwarf star, it's estimated to have 7x the mass of Earth, and 1.4x the radius of Earth, so it could have a large iron core, and possibly a strong magnetic field, it orbits every 25 days, and receives about half the amount of sunlight compared to what Earth gets

Now we're just waiting for it to appear on the PHL list :)

https://futurism.com/scientists-just-discovered-an-alien-planet-thats-the-best-candidate-for-life-as-we-know-it/

http://gizmodo.com/trappist-1-has-some-serious-new-competition-for-best-pl-1794423297

Oh good (Kraken) Lord is that planet dense. 7 Earth masses crammed into an object just 40% larger than our planet gives it a density of 14 g/cm^3. Holy *quack*! That's like K2-3d - almost ENTIRELY made of iron! What the hell, universe?

Just imagine it: heavy world, where everything that lives hugs the ground - because even a small fall can be fatal. No trees as we know it - tall trunks would have to be ridiculosly strong to withstand this level of gravitation. Forests on this planet would probably look like kurghan fields - full of flat mounds made of foliage supported by short, robust branches. World where animals (or their analogues) move only when strictly necessary, if at all - because every "step" is a huge energy expenditure. Only aquatic creatures would retain any degree of mobility we are accustomed too. No birds of course - but maybe some organisms would evolve gasbags allowing them to float majestically in the dense souposphere :)

It's time to celebrate my ONE-THOUSANDTH post and the discovery of this horrific but not-so-terrible Cannonball Earth with some visuals of potentially habitable planets!

Here is Luyten b, depicted as a warm terra. A great example of a tidally locked, Earth-like planet.

tH9SpBD.jpg

Next up is Gliese 3323 b (LHS 1725 b), also depicted as a warm terra. However, its higher stellar flux makes liquid water less likely.

ZmipZeC.jpg

HR 8832g is here. While not listed on the PHL site, it's still in the habitable zone with a temperature around 290*K. Could be a large ocean planet.

iUivIuk.jpg

Here's TRAPPIST-1d! Represented as a cratered desert planet with a few small seas.

nzGVrP9.jpg

The oddball planet KIC-5522786b is rendered as an oceanic planet with a ring system. I've found out that its average temperature can swing from -11 to 104 degrees Celsius (12 to 271 Fahrenheit).

pbZRF40.jpg

Finally, it's good old LHS 1140b. Rendered here as an acrhipellago planet with black plant life and rather flat terrain.

EXQE2nG.jpg

27 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

When will the PHL finally update the Habitable Exoplanets Catalogue? Do they not think LHS 1140b is suitable for life?

(It may be so, as 3.25 gees is going to be very tough if you, I don't know, move)

Idk, maybe they're still working out the ESI or something, it still says 'the site will be updated, etc etc'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.