SomeGuy123

The Expanse technical thread

86 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I can't wait to see the forth book on screen, that will be flippin' amazing!

I just finished book 5 yesterday :D

Anyway, I feel it's pretty realistic, if you ignore the Epstein.

I do laugh, however, about everybody who praises the realism in terms of no faster-than-light travel. Obviously that means they haven't gotten far enough into the books to find out about the stargate.

Just now, mikegarrison said:

I do laugh, however, about everybody who praises the realism in terms of no faster-than-light travel. Obviously that means they haven't gotten far enough into the books to find out about the stargate.

Wormholes are possible through.

And it's a cool expansion on the expanse :wink:

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, SargeRho said:

Ceres has been stripped of its ice, and is now a dry rock. The ECLSS on Ceres isn't 100% air- and water tight, and water is probably also used to produce fuel for chemical thrusters.

Ah! That makes sense!

5 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I think you are confusing realism with lack of a plot. But since there is no accepted boundary for what is and is not science fiction, I suppose it could be claimed that anything completely realistic isn't science fiction at all.

I will certainly say that for most stories, a desire to be 100% realistic is very constraining. Probably this is because fiction, by it's nature, is unreal, and so trying to write "realistic fiction" is actually an attempt to create something that is "realistically unreal" -- a difficult task.

An interesting thought. I like fantasy as much as anyone else, but I think I like "simulation" even better. I don't think a desire to be 100% realistic is necessarily so "constraining." There are libraries full of fiction that never invokes fantasy, spread across dozens of disciplines.

4 hours ago, Gkirmathal said:

Since I began reading the books, I have been looking for a new Sci/fi game which combines the Expanse in feel, scope and in technological development, with KSP like features.

A game like: KSP's ship construction/design, proper Newtonian physics, a large (full) scale solar system to explore, trade and walk around in. But not orientated on building/launching rockets, like in KSP.

I haven't been able to find any title besides KSP that checks most boxes. Most titles have unrealistic physics, submarine ship design, or artificial gravity mumbo-jumbo/propulsion/etc. Helion and Helium Rain seem to come close, though both have also have elements I really dislike.

KSP's 'realism' can really spoiled you :P, so is there anyone else who is looking for a similar type of game and know of something in development at this moment?

Children of a Dead Earth?

1 person likes this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminus_(video_game)

This was a game that featured role-playing in a setting almost exactly like The Expanse. You either played as an Earth fighter pilot, a Mars fighter pilot, or an independent ship owner.

It featured Newtonian physics (although, IIRC, not orbital mechanics) for the ships, and was extremely difficult even with SAS-like aids turned on. A joystick was essential.

There was an overall story that progressed about conflicts developing between Earth and Mars, with each side blaming the other side for pirate attacks, etc.

I never finished the game. I can't remember exactly why.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminus_(video_game)

This was a game that featured role-playing in a setting almost exactly like The Expanse. You either played as an Earth fighter pilot, a Mars fighter pilot, or an independent ship owner.

It featured Newtonian physics (although, IIRC, not orbital mechanics) for the ships, and was extremely difficult even with SAS-like aids turned on. A joystick was essential.

There was an overall story that progressed about conflicts developing between Earth and Mars, with each side blaming the other side for pirate attacks, etc.

I never finished the game. I can't remember exactly why.

I used to play this! I still have a copy on CD somewhere, but it won't run on modern OS. It used Newtonian Physics for maneuvering, but, as you said, it didn't factor in orbital mechanics at all. It was kind of like freelancer with much more detailed ship design and real physics.

2 hours ago, peadar1987 said:

Children of a Dead Earth?

It has some super nice features, although I don't like the combat focus and the scenario type missions. The ship building feature would be fantastic IMO, if they expand on that and made it bigger than a pure space combat sim.

About Terminus, I read about it on SpaceSimCentral forums. For it's time it looks like a really nice game.

It's a shame really that most game development studio's choose to not develop a realistic Newtonian space environment, or more or less with correct physics (within the limitations of their engines).

Using The Expanse universe as a basis to build a game upon is immense IMO. Like for instance 100>200 years in it's future, has great potential to make a single or MMO game environment. The world building opportunities, revealed in book three, would be a great basis for a game.

You know . . . in a couple hundred years it does seem quite likely that there will be a major human presence off the Earth. Perhaps only thousands or tens of thousands of visitor/traveler/workers (maybe even "colonists"), but a significant presence nonetheless.

Given the tremendous economic value (supposed) of some of the resources out there, it seems inevitable there will be plenty of human drama, even if one were to stick 100% to conservative estimates of how technology will work.

Somebody really does need to make a game that covers that stuff.

If the average action movie doesn't feel the need to stay 100% within real physics, I don't see why sci-fi needs to either. As long as it's immersive and has a decent story, I'm happy to watch it,.

On 2017-02-20 at 11:18 AM, mikegarrison said:

Tag your spoilers, good sir! :/

2 people like this

Expanse, s02e06 "Paradigm Shift".

A brief summary:

Spoiler