Chinese Space Launch

Ranger

I saw a bit about this on the news this morning.  I had a look and did not find anything posted about it here.

Apparently China launched a science satellite to look for Dark Matter.  I am currently at work, so I can not find/post a vid, but or even look very deeply into it myself, but here is an article about it.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/12/chinese-long-march-2d-lofts-dampe-a-dark-matter-investigator/

From the vid that I did see about it on the news, however, one thing that I noticed is that there seemed to be a LOT of ice breaking off, and in really big chunks.

guess the lox tank insulation is average (maybe to try to save weight) combined with no outside insulation foam (though those are more used on lh2 stages) associated with high moisture weather / rain before launch maybe :) it's always impressive to see thesevice chunks breaking off under the liftoff vibrations, but it's among the normal considerations for cryogenic rockets :)

Oh, I know that ice breaking off is normal.  I just am not used to seeing them quite as big, or going on as long.  I am not sure of the size of the rocket, but a lot of these pieces seem to be at least a couple of meters to a side, and they were still coming off, in the same size, several seconds after it cleared the tower...

Also the DF-5 based rockets aren't exactly cryogenic. They run on UDMH and N2O4, which are toxic storable propellants. I guess they put the protective insulation on to prevent the toxic chemicals from leaking out and once the rocket starts flying, you don't need them anymore since they're dead weight and the propellants are stable at room temperature. 

Here is the video link.  You have to wait for the second round at about 0:22 to really see what I am talking about

Actually, it reminds me a bit of some of the kerbal rockets that I have launched in previous versions, when the solar panels drop off on launch.

Edited by Ranger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.