MORK & MINDY - Ultralight Dropships

Cupcake...

UPDATES:

11/4/16 - Solar panel removed from craft as it was surplus to requirements. Craft now has a single battery stored inside the cockpit to reduce drag. Cockpit doors remapped to action group 0.

4/6/16 - Mork & Mindy upgraded for more Delta V and better atmospheric performance.

CRAFT FILES:

https://goo.gl/pFuZwh

NOTES:

The athmo edition can be a bit tricky to land on steep terrain, it's recomended to practice on flat ground or water before attempting more difficult landings!

The exhaust jets on the utility edition are a razors width away from the standard cargo size so the engine gimbals are disabled by default to avoid leaving scorch marks, they can be enabled again by pressing 0.

While droptanks can be attached straight to the bottom docking port on the utlity edition it's recommended to run fuel lines to avoid the Morks internal stores being emptied, to this end the fuel transfer on the cargo port is disabled by default.

For all those out there that thought the Gnat was a bit on the big side allow me to present the Mork!

c3UPZxb.jpg

Powered by a single Juno engine (with rocket assist of course), the Mork combines supple handling with a highly balanced drag profile.

GSr0yts.jpg

RCS edition included at no extra cost! :)

uwFZXsm.jpg

Finally we have the Mindy which is designed for soft landing small ISRU rigs/cargo etc... It puts out more Delta V then the RCS edition (3.3k vs 3k ) and more importantly weighs in a whole 2t less making it more practical to ship to the Jool system.

j7AyiwQ.jpg

The TW ratio is a little short of obscene we're talking about 1.41 fully fueled on Tylo! 
sxtQeh1.jpg

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

2 minutes ago, castille7 said:

These craft seem so simple......yet so complicated! :confused:  Very nice work, one question, will that Mork RCS edition launch from Kerbin and land on this Duna Mun without a launcher?

It can't get into orbit from Kerbin I'm afraid. :( Saying that you've got 3k of Delta V to play with so you should be able to fly to and land on Ike from low Kerbin orbit.

Cupcake...

9 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

It can't get into orbit from Kerbin I'm afraid. :( Saying that you've got 3k of Delta V to play with so you should be able to fly to and land on Ike from low Kerbin orbit.

Cupcake...

Very impressive indeed!

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Wow, that was unexpected! Nice one!

Well I had it ready, thought it would be rude not to share. :wink: Plus we have a last minute addition to the range. :)

AqQsXA7.jpg

This thing puts out 3.6K of Delta V which coming from a 3t craft is not bad at all! :cool:

pQC1uA9.jpg

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

7 hours ago, DMSP said:

What a wonderful little thing!

May I ask, how do you get those screenshots to look so amazing!!

I use camera tools for a longer lens, then give the colours/contrast a bit of a lift in photoshop. :)

7 hours ago, Majorjim said:

If I find one of these at the bottom of my stocking instead of an orange I will be very happy indeed.

It's so cute! I can see it making a great craft for a tour mothership too. Good job man.

An orange?! You're lucky, as I get older it seems to be socks and underwear. :( I'm quite tempted to do another Jool 5 challenge, they're a lot of work though! :P

6 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Why are there oxygen intakes on a space craft? Heading to Duna, which has no oxygen? Unless...:0.0: IT'S MEANT TO GO TO LAYTHE!!!!!!!

I did put the pointy nose cones on there at first but it just didn't look quite right. :P

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

i may have asked this before but.... you know, u can accomplish soo much with mods. IR! retrofuture, recently updated to 1.0.5. FAR, the helicopter mod, mk2 expansion, etc!  the possibilitys are endless, and with your creativity and great designs, combined with the limitless of mods, like tweakscale.... the potential for awe-inspiring craft is tangible.

30 minutes ago, 123nick said:

i may have asked this before but.... you know, u can accomplish soo much with mods. IR! retrofuture, recently updated to 1.0.5. FAR, the helicopter mod, mk2 expansion, etc!  the possibilitys are endless, and with your creativity and great designs, combined with the limitless of mods, like tweakscale.... the potential for awe-inspiring craft is tangible.

The endless possiblities are what scares me! :blush: I must admit I quite enjoy working round the restrictions of the stock parts which is where a lot of the creativity in KSP comes from IMHO. I can also design safe in the knowlege anyone that wants to try my craft can do so wihout downloading a laundry list of mods first. Saying that I do sometimes use MOD parts for my videos, but these are more for props then released craft. :P I also spend far too much time on KSP as it is without making mod crafts too! :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

2 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Headlights!? That's getting a bit bourgeois isn't it? I just use the little LEDs on the Kerbal's helmet. :kiss:

Cupcake...

Aye, I suppose you could.  You could make the different colors though, which you cannot do on the Kerbals.

Come to think of it, some avionics nosecones might be a good idea, if only because not every Kerbal who gets into one of these is necessarily going to be a trained pilot.  

1 hour ago, Fearless Son said:

Aye, I suppose you could.  You could make the different colors though, which you cannot do on the Kerbals.

Come to think of it, some avionics nosecones might be a good idea, if only because not every Kerbal who gets into one of these is necessarily going to be a trained pilot.  

Trouble is they're quite heavy and for craft this size every kg counts. Plus you'd need at least two to keep the craft balanced which is adding even more weight. :P

Cupcake...

On 19/12/2015 at 9:34 AM, RevanCorana said:

Very cool 

Thanks man! :D

In other news, I've just uploaded the latest (and final) variant of what's proving to be a very vesatile little chassis. :wink:

j7AyiwQ.jpg

Built as an alternative to the RCS model, the utility edition is designed for soft landing small ISRU rigs/cargo etc... It puts out more Delta V then the RCS edition (3.3k vs 3k ) and more importantly weighs in a whole 2t less making it more practical to ship to the Jool system. The TW ratio is a little short of obscene we're talking about 1.41 fully fueled on Tylo!  The exhaust jets are a razors width away from the standard cargo size so the engine gimbals are disabled by default to avoid leaving scorch marks, they can be enabled again by pressing 0.

sxtQeh1.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

12 hours ago, CommanderSonic said:

Do kerbals always eat with a fork while flying the mork (Baum tis) (sorry for bad joke :P)

Sir, you have a talent! :D

7 hours ago, Dobelong said:

I thought the mork was cool, but was a little low on TWR(Just the atmo version)

So I made THIS

1GdN498.png

How did I do? I just dropped it from orbit:D

It's not even Bare-bones, It's down to the thinnest layer of marrow

Nice man! :cool: It's a bit hard to see though, have you got any day pics? The Mork carries quite a lot of LF for its size so you can always cut this back if you fancy a bit more get up and go. :wink: I was hoping to have a video ready for you guys but unfortunately I've run into some pretty bad bugs/framerate issues. Suffice to say I've decided to hold fire for 1.1 which will hopefully fix things. Hopefully... :P

Cupcake..

PS I've decided to scrap the lander version as the twin engine utilty edition is a much better all rounder.

Edited by Cupcake...

5 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Sir, you have a talent! :D

Nice man! :cool: It's a bit hard to see though, have you got any day pics? The Mork carries quite a lot of LF for its size so you can always cut this back if you fancy a bit more get up and go. :wink: I was hoping to have a video ready for you guys but unfortunately I've run into some pretty bad bugs/framerate issues. Suffice to say I've decided to hold fire for 1.1 which will hopefully fix things. Hopefully... :P

Cupcake..

PS I've decided to scrap the lander version as the twin engine utilty edition is a much better all rounder.

Sure, I'll put in a story as well...

DmHjlU1.png

Val was told by Wernher to show up at the administration pool of liquid nitrogen...

XTmCz3l.png

When she showed up, she found this thing unrealistically sunk into the pool bottom.

GzfiGwb.png

Slamming the Z button, Val realized that the VTOl has a sort of battle-mech stance and a parachute for landing.

http://imgur.com/a/sycMV

What happens next is up to you...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.