[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

Hello, I've just uploaded version 1.8 of KRnD, which only contains a few minor fixes which should help to avoid problems with other mods. The MechJeb-issue Deimos Rast reported is now fixed and mods building upon the CommunityResourcePack will no longer cause any trouble as well.

Regarding error messages: All messages should have a message-type. If it is only an info (written as "LOG" in the KSP.log), you can safely ignore that line. If it is an error, then something has to be fixed. In this example Squad has implemented two parts with the same name (they should fix this) and the MechJeb-Part caused an exception (which I just fixed):

[LOG 21:28:11.433] [KRnD] retrieved and applied 302 upgrades in 0.012s
[ERR 21:28:12.972] [KRnD] Awake(): duplicate part-name: shockConeIntake
[ERR 21:28:38.427] [KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Mechanical Jeb - Pod version 2.0): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KRnD.KRnD.updateGlobalParts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

After the KSP 1.1.2 update I've also tested the following mods:

• TweakScale: While there are no errors, most stats except maximum temperature are not working, I recommend removing TweekScale from your installation if you want to use KRnD, because TweakScale (by design) tweaks everything.
  • Interstellar Extended: Seems to be working fine, only dry mass upgrades of fuel tanks are ignored. If you want to use this KRnD-feature, you would have to remove Interstellar Fuel Switch.
  • CryoEngines / CryoTanks: I couldn't find a 1.1.2 compatible version, so I had to use 0.2.1 (for KSP 1.0.5), but I had no obvious problem running this mod together with KRnD. I also had no issue with the ominous CryoTanksISRU.cfg I've been hearing about.

I hope this new version of KRnD has solved your problems as well. However by problems I mean crashes or issues in KRnD's functionality, not necessarily restrictions stemming from other mods. Solving those would usually require the participation of the other mod's author.

And a special thank you to Warezcrawler (the FindModulesImplementing method does indeed look pretty cool, I'll give it a try in one of the next releases) and JeffreyCor (for being so active here in the forums).

Edited by -MM-

Neato, many thanks!

@-MM-

If you're looking for the latest of Cryo Engines, it can be found here (it's a 1.1 pre-release, but seems to work well enough in my 1.1.2 install).

https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/CryoEngines/releases/tag/v0.3.0

Cheers.

---edit----

No release linked to your download, only the source code, although I think it may still work.

Edited by Deimos Rast

Neato, many thanks.

If you're looking for the latest of Cryo Engines, it can be found here (it's a 1.1 pre-release)

https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/CryoEngines/releases/tag/v0.3.0

14 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Many mods cause things to show up in the log that are actually meaningless as I have learned from being lead test on other mods. Log error doesn't mean there is an actual problem. Unless there is a problem in game, there is no reason to be concerned about them. :) I think you're probably seeing things such as "updateGlobalParts(Radial Lander Leg): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at KRnD.KRnD.updateGlobalParts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0", or if you're using a fuel tank modifier such a Interstellar Fuel Switcher, B9's one, etc or on tweakscale parts these are just exhibiting the known compatibility issues between them and not a real "error" as to the stability or functionality of the mod otherwise.The real headache is when there is a problem but no error in the log. :0.0:

I have an idea you may be using one of those other mods as I just checked my own log and apart from the example given (and the one KSP even says "this message is harmless") it's the only errors relating to KRnD showing up.

Not my mod! I just try to help out as I can for this to help the community using it and take some of that load off -MM- :) This is ALL -MM-'s work, he's the talent and skill behind this :)

I think you hit the nail on the head about the fuel switching and tweak scale issues. I only just switched from 1.0.5 to 1.1 in the past couple days then got hit with two patches as soon as I did, and I'm trying to remember which of my 100+ mods plays nice with which. I'm a bit frazzled, heh. In retrospect it was probably an unnecessary bug report, but what confused me was why KRnD was throwing errors for parts I had uninstalled, unless it had a database/cache it was cleaning out. Oh well. Thanks for the advice.:)

I installed the latest KRnD on a fresh 1.1.2 install without any mods, and the problem still occurs, but no error in the log. Just an empty gui, no matter what part I pick :( 

Yes, but something was wrong with my installation, sorry about that. After a reinstall it worked.

However, I still have this problem in my regular game. It appears to be a problem caused by multiple mods. I've found out that RasterPropMonitor, the USI-mods and KRnD interact with another mod and cause the GUI to fail. Those installed in a seperate game work however, so there must be a fourth mod messing with KRnD.
This is my ckan config, maybe you can find the incompatabilities.

I use most of the USI mods and KRnD together so those aren't in conflict, but I do not use RasterPropMonitor so it is very possible that is that is tipping things over into going kaput especially along with the unknown 4th mod.

I also very strongly recommend trying installing the mods manually and not using ckan. I stopped using that because of problems that the faulty detection and installing it did caused.

Does KRnD makes scaled engines with TweakScale works without scaling engine power? I bet launching a 'Kickback' SRB scaled up to 20m not scaling the engine power.

I guess I'll give up on KRnD because of TweakScale incompatibility.

Edited by Anbang11

• 2 weeks later...

@-MM- Pardon me for a dumb question, but I don't seem to have downloaded the mod correctly.  I see download links for source code on Github but nothing else.  Is that what I want?  I downloaded one, but when I tried to extract it, I was told there was no archive.  I don't use CKAN; I prefer to install mods manually.

Looks like a great mod -- it addresses one of my pet peeves, the lack of an endgame!  Look forward to trying it.

2 hours ago, Mister Spock said:

@-MM- Pardon me for a dumb question, but I don't seem to have downloaded the mod correctly.  I see download links for source code on Github but nothing else.  Is that what I want?  I downloaded one, but when I tried to extract it, I was told there was no archive.  I don't use CKAN; I prefer to install mods manually.

Looks like a great mod -- it addresses one of my pet peeves, the lack of an endgame!  Look forward to trying it.

Try this: https://github.com/mmoench/KRnD

3 hours ago, Mister Spock said:

It is easy to be confused. Even though it says Source Code it does actually have the complied usable mod inside of it. After downloading or opening the file, you will see the folder Game Data, and within that KRnD. Just copy that KRnD folder into your game and you're good to go. :)

On 10.5.2016 at 11:30 AM, boborene said:

Can we have this KRnD integrated in ckan?

I once tried to submit the mod to the ckan-repo (as you can tell by my already included .netkan-file in the git-repo). But the netkan validation-tool always just said "JSON deserialization error", which I was unable to fix. So I just stopped trying a while ago. If there is a ckan-wizard out there who can give me a few pointers or even add the mod for me? That would be greatly appreciated.

On 20.5.2016 at 9:55 PM, superm18 said:

I have found that this mod can't work with SSTU Labs. The engine cluster feature gets broken. Anything you need to make it work, if at all?

I took a quick look at SSTU and while it does look pretty cool, I don't see any easy way how we can get procedurally generated parts like the engine-clusters to work.

2 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

It is easy to be confused. Even though it says Source Code it does actually have the complied usable mod inside of it. After downloading or opening the file, you will see the folder Game Data, and within that KRnD. Just copy that KRnD folder into your game and you're good to go. :)

It is like JeffreyCor said: Just download the "source code" of latest release (like this) and place the contents of the GameData folder (a folder named "KRnD") into your GameData folder of your KSP installation. Then you install a current version of ModuleManager and you are good to go.

2 minutes ago, -MM- said:

I took a quick look at SSTU and while it does look pretty cool, I don't see any easy way how we can get procedurally generated parts like the engine-clusters to work.

To bad, but thanks for taking a look. I really enjoy your mod, but its hard to beat procedural parts, right?! :)

12 minutes ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

meh, KRnD is more useful.

4 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

Ditto, never used procedural parts apart from the stock fairings and dumped fuel switchers in favor of KRnD :)

SSTU Labs is not just procedural parts, the customization is incredible and far more than just a stretchy tank with different textures.

No idea what would be in sandbox since i never use that mode :) However, if there is no science points there would be no upgrades. Which means everything is at their standard values.

I use this with many modes and apart from ones that tweak parts (Tweakscale, Fuel switcher, etc) everything works just fine as it operates based on the functional module of the parts rather than part names. For example, all batteries no matter if they are stock or from a mod are upgradeable with this right out of the gate.