[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

I really love this mod.  As others have said, it gives a reason to continue to collect Science.

Suggestion: add a parameter in the parts.cfg file to limit the percentage that parts can be improved.  For instance, for gameplay purposes, I limit my parts to 50% improvement.  After all, if I improve the dry weight to 100%, then it has no weight, right?  My suggestion is a universal limit for all parts and all parameters, not a per part limit.

That said, I've accidentally improved some part parameters past 50%.  Is there a way to go backwards?  A file to edit perhaps?  I've looked in the GameData/KRnD subdirectory without success.  Is it in the persistent.sfs file?

Edited by Apollo13

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2017 at 0:19 PM, withyouforyou said:

I installed this mod but the only thing with upgrades listed on it is the thermometer :/.

Click open the mod and select any Part you want to upgrade, the click works background and any part on list or editor my get selected so be careful

On 4/8/2017 at 1:49 AM, withyouforyou said:

I installed this mod but the only thing with upgrades listed on it is the thermometer :/.

Any other mod which allows design-time or flight-time changes to a part will block usage of R&D on that part.

Tweakscale for instance, will block nearly all parts from being researchable, while fuel switching mods will block fuel tanks from benefiting from R&D. 

R&D scans for most of those mods and refuses to work with those parts so that there is not a conflict when two different mods try to change the properties of a part.

(if you had set a LFO tank to LF and R&Ded it's dry-weight by 10%, then, on any scene load it could either be LFO with reduced dry mass, or LF with full dry mass.  Try this with Tweakscale and you get mission-ending errors potentially happening with every scene switch as half the parts of your rocket apply their tweakscale changes and the other half applying their R&D changes, and which parts do which changes every time you go back to the craft)

• 4 weeks later...

@-MM- I'm working on learning how to create a menu like the one you have implemented in this mod. Are you using some kind of editor to create the menus? I've looked at the DMagic guides, but they depend on compiling some binary files and stuff. I'm just thinking that this might be simpler.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pattyboy27 said:

Hey there, is this mod still being updated?

Nothing on CKAN or the github page :(

The original poster(and presumably mod creator/maintainer) is @-MM-

According to their profile, they have not been on the forums since March 2nd, so I suspect that this mod is on either a temporary or permanent hiatus.

On 31/05/2017 at 11:26 PM, Terwin said:

According to their profile, they have not been on the forums since March 2nd, so I suspect that this mod is on either a temporary or permanent hiatus.

Pity :( This ranks among Mechjeb for me in terms of my must-haves.

Squad introduced the feature formerly in 1.2 yeah? How come there's nobody else making similar mods (or if they are, can you point me to them...)? Is NOBODY interested in performance improvements on their craft? I find it weird that Squad would add the ability for modding and there's no demand for it

On 5/31/2017 at 6:26 AM, Terwin said:

Yah, seems like that's the the lay of the land to me, too.

A potential ray of hope for eager consumers of the mod is that it has a fairly permissive license, CC-BY-NC-SA, which means it's legal for people to modify & redistribute, as long as they preserve the license and give credit to the original author.  Which in principle means it would be legally possible for someone else to pick up the mod, fix it for 1.3, and distribute the new version of it.  However, that would only happen if there were someone willing to take the time and energy to do so.

2 hours ago, pattyboy27 said:

Is NOBODY interested in performance improvements on their craft? I find it weird that Squad would add the ability for modding and there's no demand for it

It's always hard to tell what's going to be popular.  Tastes vary.

FWIW, I have seen some use of the part-upgrades feature... but not very widely, doesn't seem like a big thing.  My impression is that it's just not an area that most players care about.

I think one of the biggest holdbacks to this being more popular is the problem between it and changeable parts such as with TS or IFS and the like. If that could be worked around somehow I think this would see much greater popularity in general.

2 hours ago, pattyboy27 said:

Pity :( This ranks among Mechjeb for me in terms of my must-haves.

Squad introduced the feature formerly in 1.2 yeah? How come there's nobody else making similar mods (or if they are, can you point me to them...)? Is NOBODY interested in performance improvements on their craft? I find it weird that Squad would add the ability for modding and there's no demand for it

The stock part upgrades are quite different from the R&D upgrades, also anyone who wants better parts can just edit the config file for that part and change it.

There are also lots of parts packs, including some very powerful engines like the nuclear light-bulb for example.

Also, part of the challenge of KSP is working under the tyranny of the rocket equation and finding a way to make it work, in spite of the limitations of the parts you have on-hand.

I mean, how much of a challenge would the game be if you had an engine identical to the mainsail but with an ISP of 10,000?

My 1.2.2 game using R&D was fun, but I was launching everything from Kerbin as a SSTA using a single upgraded nuclear lightbulb engine and carrying a large ISRU with 80% mass reduction and > 100% production increase, so every ton of ore would give me > 2 tons of lf.  When a probe is biome-hopping on Tylo without bothering to refill the ore tanks at most stops because you can lift-off with more than 10km/s in the ore tanks, it is not quite the same game as when you are only visiting the 3 smaller moons of Jool because you do not have the TWR to lift off from Tylo or Lathe, and cannot make your first landing on Val because you do not have enough fuel left after the transfer.(almost all of the parts I used regularly were at 80-90% weight reduction so with nearly 3 times the thrust of the already OP nuclear lightbulb this gave me ~25 time the effective lifting power of the standard lightbulb with an ISP almost as good as an ion engine.  My primary challenge was building self-sustaining colonies and managing all the oncurrent flights I had going, fuel was not even an issue any more, making it not really a rocket-game.)

On 31.5.2017 at 3:26 PM, Terwin said:

Sorry for the long absence, I'm usually only working on my mods and reading the forum when I'm playing an active KSP-Campaign. But I've still gotten the notification on my Github Bug-Tracker that there is supposedly an issue with KSP 1.3 and KRnD. When I've time I will upload a new, fixed version this or the next weekend. It will however just be a compatibility update, probably no new features...

Regarding the license: Anyone is more than welcome to create a fork of this mod and maybe develop it in a different direction. That's why it's publicly available on Github as Open Source :)

Edited by -MM-

2 minutes ago, -MM- said:

Sorry for the long absence, I'm usually only working on my mods and reading the forum when I'm playing an active KSP-Campaign. But I've still gotten the notification on my Github Bug-Tracker that there is supposedly an issue with KSP 1.3 and KRnD. When I've time I will upload a new, fixed version this or the next weekend. It will however just be a compatibility update, probably no new features...

Regarding the license: Anyone is more than welcome to create a fork of this mod and maybe develop it in a different direction. That's why it's publicly available on Github as Open Source :)

Glad to know you're still around.  :wink:  I don't use KRnD much - but occasionally it's nice to be able to make a part just a *little* better.

7 hours ago, -MM- said:

@-MM-

Most likely a simple recompile will fix this.

Any part using TS would be reset and no KRnD upgrades would apply. as a result any part using TS is blocked out from having KRnD doing anything with. So unless you remove the cfg's so only required parts use it, that means pretty much everything.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:36 PM, -MM- said:

Phew, thank the dark Lord there will be a compatibity update...  I use R&D heavily and half my plane designs and most (if not all) the ships I have orbiting and roaming around space have parts that have been upgraded. Basically I would have to re-design most of my stuff (and retire all the ships I have already in orbit).

Big kudos to modders like you that add depth and meta to already awesome games like KSP

Just wanted to let you know that I have uploaded a new version of KRnD which should now run fine with KSP 1.3 (see first post of this thread). I've done some testing and it seems all that was needed was to recompile the mod for the current KSP-version.

Hope it works for you as well.

Thank you! @-MM-

And @Terwin I definitely understand your point, I guess for me it's just making sure it is set to a high enough cost that I can only afford minimal upgrades. But I think over the course of a career in KSP it's fair that there would be some improvements to technology such as a slightly reduced weight for some parts, or a bit of extra thrust since we're talking dozens or hundreds of years (in my case, since I'm pretty poor at diverting my attention to multiple missions lol) so I don't view it as breaking immersion for me.

5 hours ago, pattyboy27 said:

And @Terwin I definitely understand your point, I guess for me it's just making sure it is set to a high enough cost that I can only afford minimal upgrades. But I think over the course of a career in KSP it's fair that there would be some improvements to technology such as a slightly reduced weight for some parts, or a bit of extra thrust since we're talking dozens or hundreds of years (in my case, since I'm pretty poor at diverting my attention to multiple missions lol) so I don't view it as breaking immersion for me.

I did not say there was anything wrong with it(I did say it was fun), I just did 'huh, Let's try this' until there was little similarity between the parts as I was using them and as they started out.

• 1 month later...

Is there an specific key combination or anything like that to select the parts to upgrade in the editor? I think I've tried everything and the parts just wont appear in the mod's box. Am I the only one with this program or am I just dumb enough to not be able to click something?

Edited by The Nitromancer

2 hours ago, The Nitromancer said:

Is there an specific key combination or anything like that to select the parts to upgrade in the editor? I think I've tried everything and the parts just wont appear in the mod's box. Am I the only one with this program or am I just dumb enough to not be able to click something?

You should have a R&D button on the toolbar, click that and the last clicked part will show up in the upgrade window.(you may need to add a part to the work area to be able to do research on it, but I do not think it even needs to be part of a vessel, just the last part you drug around on the screen.