[1.8.x] Precise Maneuver editor

Morse

13 minutes ago, Morse said:

The new version is out. You can test it now.

Just checked it out. The exeption is gone :)

You still have a lot of debug logs showing NaN, however I'm sure you already know that. Love the trajectories +/-.

Comments:

• I liked that editing using PreciseNode was only one button using left and right mouse tabs to increasea/decrease. You think you will bringe that back eventually?
  • The new windows is really large, like the new nav ball. You think you might shrink it? I would love that :cool: the ole size was better.

This mod is a must have for me, even if MechJeb has one, this one is just better. Keep up the great work.

23 minutes ago, Morse said:

The new version is out. You can test it now.

Best thing to wake up to I've heard in awhile. 

EDIT: Something is still making maneuver nodes disappear before I can actually use them though :(

Edited by dewin

23 minutes ago, dewin said:

EDIT: Something is still making maneuver nodes disappear before I can actually use them though :(

I haven't played too much in 1.1, but I have not observed node disapearing on me yet. Though you are not the only one reporting it. Are you sure that is related to Precise Node?

I can tell that nodes are disappearing in the linux version. I guess MacOS is also suffering from it, although I didn't test. Usually, not only the node disappears, but it also takes a good chunk of HUD with itself.

But there is nothing in Precise Maneuver that can make a node disappear. The mod itself can crash, or stop working, or start to behave weirdly (and it does it all the time), but it absolutely can't delete a node unless told to do so.

2 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

I haven't played too much in 1.1, but I have not observed node disapearing on me yet. Though you are not the only one reporting it. Are you sure that is related to Precise Node?

The problem went away when I removed PreciseNode, so if it's not the direct cause it's conflicting with something else.  It's quite maddening too -- I'm able to set up the node perfectly but as soon as I try to do anything involving it (add an KAC alarm for the next maneuver node, or use SAS to point towards the maneuver).  The maneuver in question was for the circularize burn after launching to LKO.

I'll do some binary searching to see if I can link it to a combination between PreciseNode + another mod.  Some possible candidates might include MechJeb (because it has/had its own maneuver node editor, which I somehow don't have anymore -- maybe due to early Science/Career game) and RemoteTech (but this was a manned vessel).

3 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:
  • I liked that editing using PreciseNode was only one button using left and right mouse tabs to increasea/decrease. You think you will bringe that back eventually?

I like this as well

another idea.. 'warp to next node' as provided by stock, just as a button on the UI

and the smallest possible correction, in grammar.  On the key bindings window it says "Show less trajectories" but the proper wording is 'fewer'.

Edited by gnivler

31 minutes ago, gnivler said:

another idea.. 'warp to next node' as provided by stock, just as a button on the UI

To implement a whole warping engine to just warp to the maneuver? Especially when there is a perfectly normal way of doing it in the stock? Kind of an overkill.

As for the +/- buttons which everybody wants... Well, I don't like it. It's counterintuitive. The only way you can learn how to use it is by watching the video. I try to design a GUI in such a way that just by looking at it you could easily guess what it does and how to use it.

Just now, Morse said:

To implement a whole warping engine to just warp to the maneuver? Especially when there is a perfectly normal way of doing it in the stock? Kind of an overkill.

As for the +/- buttons which everybody wants... Well, I don't like it. It's counterintuitive. The only way you can learn how to use it is by watching the video. I try to design a GUI in such a way that just by looking at it you could easily guess what it does and how to use it.

Is that what would be required for the warp button?  I have no idea.  That does sound like overkill if so.

I don't agree that it's with the counter-intuitive or that (most) people couldn't figure it out.  The usage guide for this mod would be succinct so there's that as well.  Alternatively It could be an option.

45 minutes ago, Morse said:

Well if you don't like it, then that's that. However, I don't think I agree. I didn't watch the video, and just loved it from the beginning. Makes node handling rather easy and fast! But it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

I noticed that we are missing some functionality we had in 1.05. Is that because of 1.1 have changed some things? Will you be aiming at bringing it back?

18 hours ago, dewin said:

Ah, that confirms for me that this is the mod that's doing it.  (I haven't taken the time to properly bisect yet).

Are you having any issues with maneuver nodes randomly disappearing as well?  (To the point where the node is 100% gone before you can even use it)

Yes, sometimes when I press the button to center the node on the AP or PE, the node disappears. I have discovered if I hit the button again, the node reappears. It's strange.

I have yet to figure out the trajectories +/-  :mellow:

3 hours ago, Zenji said:

Yes, sometimes when I press the button to center the node on the AP or PE, the node disappears. I have discovered if I hit the button again, the node reappears. It's strange.

I have yet to figure out the trajectories +/-  :mellow:

I've seen that occasionally as well, but what I'm actually experiencing is -- after I've plotted the node and left map view, it disappears the moment I try to do anything with it.  That said, I've stopped being able to reproduce it in my current save so I'm not sure what's going on.

I think Trajectories +/- adds/removes how many conic patches you see if e.g. you have a route going through several SOI, guessing by the Precisenode option that did similar.

9 hours ago, Zenji said:

Yes, I've seen this behavior too. Strange indeed, but there is nothing I can do about it. After all, I just update the maneuver with the new numbers, I have no idea what KSP does with them afterwards.

On 16.4.2016 at 11:12 PM, Zenji said:

Today's PreciseManeuver is not playing well with today's 1.1 Prerelease. The problem seems to be caused by the mod; it consistently happens when it's the only mod installed, and consistently does not happen when no mods are installed. It manifested in a fully unlocked career mode game and also a fresh sandbox game. The problem:

I set up a simple ship with a pod, tank, engine, and parachute. There are two stages. I take the ship to the launchpad. I see the staging light is blinking green. I hit M to switch to the orbital map. The staging light turns red as the GUI disappears to the left and the orbital map appears. I hit M again to switch back to the vehicle view. The staging light stays red. I am unable to unlock the staging with ALT+L. When I try to advance the staging with spacebar, nothing happens. It's permanently locked.

The behavior when I hit M a second time without the mod installed is that the GUI appears again, the light is still red, and then the light turns to flashing green again. The staging state has been properly restored, and the ship can be launched.

I can confirm this bug!

Having your Precise Maneuver mod installed locks up my stage (red lamp) as soon as I enter the map. I have to quicksave/load to get it working again. But only until I enter the map again. I'm sorry to tell you that I uninstalled the mod due to this severe bug and switched to the alternative Precise node, as it doesn't include the bug.

7 hours ago, caipi said:

I can confirm this bug!

Hm, ok now I'm interested. Can you provide some logs or something? I can see not a single way how Precise Maneuver could interfere with staging, but who knows.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:28 AM, FreeThinker said:

I'm not sure this has been addressed but whenever I install KER and Precise Maneuver, I get infinite of Null Reference Exception on the Error log during Flight.

Can you show me this log? Also, what modules have you enabled?

10 minutes ago, Morse said:

Can you show me this log? Also, what modules have you enabled?

I just have painstakingly figured out by trail an error what combination of mods cause the whole log to repeat the same non descriptive Null Reference Exception. To reproduce, simply install both KER and Precise Maneuver , create any vessel, launch and the bug will immediately start generating the same exception until you quit to VAB or space center. When I only install KER or  Precise Maneuver individually, they work as they should

On 16/04/2016 at 10:12 PM, Zenji said:

I set up a simple ship with a pod, tank, engine, and parachute. There are two stages. I take the ship to the launchpad. I see the staging light is blinking green. I hit M to switch to the orbital map. The staging light turns red as the GUI disappears to the left and the orbital map appears. I hit M again to switch back to the vehicle view. The staging light stays red. I am unable to unlock the staging with ALT+L. When I try to advance the staging with spacebar, nothing happens. It's permanently locked.

This... I finally tracked this behaviour to PME too. I thought it was tied to waypoint selection, but maybe it is simpler.

p8Y3BrT.jpg

I do have other mods installed too, but I don't have a stock game far enough advanced to test PME on it's own. A binary search left it as the last mod that can be in/out to cause/remove this problem.

Other than that, perfectly good mod, thank you for working on it, look forward to a fix :)

Edited by eddiew

I like the mod and have been using it; very nice and compact. Just a couple questions/issues:

1. How do you get the gizmo to appear?

2. I notice that the window is capturing key presses (like to orient my vessel) even when not focused.

Nice alternative , I tried used both but PreciseNode and this but just it is not feasible , I like the gizmo but I found it way too big and it's static direction it's not intuitive I'd like it to follow the one on the orbit and rotate it with the camera as it would a 3d object

9 hours ago, eddiew said:

This... I finally tracked this behaviour to PME too.

Nice screenshot. Now, how about some logs? I don't debug based on screenshots, I do it based on logs.

5 hours ago, Mr Shifty said:

1. How do you get the gizmo to appear?

You mean the gizmo module on PM or a stock gizmo on maneuver? The former is done in PM menu in the right side of the screen. The latter is done by clicking the maneuver, nothing is changed there.

6 hours ago, Mr Shifty said:

2. I notice that the window is capturing key presses (like to orient my vessel) even when not focused.

It's not like "capturing", it's just "listening". When the window is on-screen it's listening for hotkeys. You can't really "focus" or "unfocus" it. You can just hide it. If you do not like the default hotkeys you can change or disable them, but there is no way to enable-disable hotkeys separately from the main window.

1 hour ago, brusura said:

I like the gizmo but I found it way too big and it's static direction it's not intuitive I'd like it to follow the one on the orbit and rotate it with the camera as it would a 3d object

I'm thinking about the introduction of a global scale slide, but it might screw the text which might be not that easy scalable. So we'll see how that'll look. As for rotation, there are two problems. One is that it's not that easy to implement. You need to calculate the relative direction of the camera and the relative position of the maneuver, and how the gizmo would've looked if it was on screen (which it can be not). The second is the usability problem: one of the reasons people wanted the new gizmo, is because at some angles the axes are covered by each other, and you can't easily pick the one. So by making the gizmo rotating I'll introduce some other problems, and together with the fact that this is damn complicated to implement, I'll just pass :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.