amarius1

[1.2.2][Kopernicus]Kerbol Origins v.0.4.7 - biome science!

288 posts in this topic

iq3DcL8.pngsrqL4xa.pngyLoolTP.pngkyC1dpy.png

 

_____________________ Kerbol Origins _____________________ 

Welcome to Kerbol Origins, a mod that aims to recreate all the SQUAD planet ideas that never got implemented, like the Gas Planet Two (GP2), Gas Planet Three (that is actually a giant rocky planet) and many more. The mod has been fine-tuned to be as stockalike as possible and we made sure that it fills most of the gaps the stock Kerbol system has.

Many of the celestial bodies added by this pack are proceduraly generated, which means that they have a lower memory footprint, but others use heightmaps and while they are not entirely procedural, they offer much more detail than the procedural ones.

                    _____________________  Pictures _____________________ (click on images)

_______________________  Recommended mods _____________________

 

uaZHy65.png - by Amarius1

Spoiler

This mini-mod aims to provide stock planet tweaks to acompany Kerbol Origins. The tweaks are only for looks.

THZd7Uz.png - by Nils277

Spoiler

This is the separate pack containing only the parts added alongside Kerbol Origins!  

5Kqww3C.png by Valerian

Spoiler

"When in low orbit of a planet, the side of my ship which was facing the planet was completely dark, which was not realistic! It should have been illuminated a bit by the planet's own reflective light!

I decided to fix that with this mod, by making planets and moons to reflect their own (colored) light to your vessel."

_______________________  Lets meet the new planets! _____________________

Faz:

Spoiler
  • Second moon of Eve
  • Small purple captured asteroid with little futures
  • It was one of the test planets made by NovaSilisko, where he tested ground scatter collisions and terrain
  • Proceduraly generated

Harvest:

Spoiler
  • Harvest is formed of the remains of the body that crashed into Kerbin when Kerbin was just a proto-planet. It now remains trailing in Kerbin's L-4 spot
  • Uses a heightmap derived from Tylo.
  • It was one of the test planets made by NovaSilisko. It was later scrapped and its heightmap was improved and reused for Tylo
  • Rocky, mountainous surface with great views
  • Has large craters and canyons similar tot he original ones by NovaSilisko

Rega:

Spoiler
  • Has large rings
  • Uses a hand-made heightmap
  • Rocky, mountainous surface with great views
  • Has large craters and canyons 

Sarvin

Spoiler
  • Sarvin is a recreation of Gas Planet Two (GP2) shown by NovaSilisko in one of his streams
  • Sarvin uses the original texture shown in one of NovaSilisko's streams
  • Has dense rings formed of dark dust particles
  • Is home of 5 moons, Daphy, Potatus, Eeloo, Fonso and Shayle

Moons of Sarvin:

Daphy:

Spoiler
  • Sarvin's first moon
  • Has little futures
  • Is proceduraly generated
  • Is covered in fluff and hardened ice
  • It has a somewhat bouncy surface
  • It was in NovaSilisko's original GP2 plan

Potatus:

Spoiler
  • Sarvin's second moon
  • Has many mountains
  • Is covered in ice that was swept away by impacts leaving brown, rocky valleys
  • Has many small impact craters
  • It was in NovaSilisko's original GP2 plan

Eeloo:

Spoiler
  • Sarvin's third moon
  • Is covered in ice
  • May hide a liquid water ocean beyond its crust
  • Has craters
  • It was in NovaSilisko's original GP2 plan

Fonso

Spoiler
  • Has mountains that stretch beyond its atmosphere
  • Is proceduraly generated
  • Has thin atmosphere
  • Mostly mountainous rocky terrain, but here and there, there are sandy deserts 
  • Has large, eroded craters
  • It was in NovaSilisko's original GP2 plan

Shayle:

Spoiler
  • Has a mostly smooth terrain
  • Many small craters
  • Minty-radioactive color
  • Is proceduraly generated

 

Keelon:

Spoiler
  • Keelon is a recreation of Gas Planet Tree (GP3), and it was later revealed by NovaSilisko that it was instead, a giant rocky planet
  • Rocky surface
  • Many dry deserts
  • Reddish atmosphere
  • Harsh gravity pull that will make takeoff a real challenge

Moons of Keelon:

Manai:

Spoiler
  • Manai is Keelon's first moon, a rocky planet with intense volcanic activity
  • Has a global lava ocean sorrounding its continents
  • Has many little islands spread in its lava ocean
  • Has thin atmosphere
  • If  you come too close to the lava your ship overheats and explodes 
  • Uses a hand-made heightmap

Lok:

Spoiler
  • Revus is Keelon's second moon
  • Is covered in dust and stone
  • Has many crater
  • Has a large equatorial ridge
  • Uses a hand-made heightmap

Revus:

Spoiler
  • Revus is Keelon's third moon
  • Is covered in hardened ice
  • Has many canyons
  • Uses a hand-made heightmap

Corolet:

Spoiler
  • Has a beautiful comet tail via Kopernicus Expansions
  • Is procedural
  • Soft surface with great views
  • Has hard to reach orbit

__________________________________  The team! ________________________________

@amarius1                    - Lead Developer           

@Nils277                         - Part Creator      

@Olympic1                    - Career Intergration & Tweaks                                                                                                      

@The White Guardian  - Career Intergration, EVE Clouds & Tweaks          

@smokytehbear             - FF Ribbons

__________________________________  Thank you ________________________________

  • Thomas             - For developing and mentaining Kopernicus
  • KillAshley          - For teaching me most of the aspects of planet creation
  • CaptRobau        - For teaching be the basics long before Kopernicus could even load PQS mods
  • Olympic1           - For being a good friend and collaborating with me in all of my projects
  • Sigma88             - For giving me advice and giving everyone over #Kopernicus a good laugh                                                               

___________________________________  Installation ________________________________

  1. Download the mod files from any of the buttons at the top of the page
  2. Download the Kopernicus dependency from GitHub
  3. Merge downloaded GameData folder from both mods with yours
  4. ???
  5. PROFIT!

!WARNING: When installing new versions of the mod, NEVER merge the new version's files with older versions, but instead, delete the old ones, before.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Known Bugs:

Spoiler

-none ATM-

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

To do:

Spoiler

Parts:

  • New 3.75m "Tellur" Heavy Lift Engine
  • Black radiators for probes exploring Corolet
  • Smaller batteries 
  • New "Horizon" High Range Communication Parabolic Antenna
  • 2.5m fuel tank retexture
  • New 2.5m "Xplorer"  Crew Capsule
  • New 2.5m "Neebus"  Heavy Lift Engine

 

zAvQwbC.jpg

 

Edited by amarius1
Fixed the biomes with the hell of a wonderful forum user! Thanks! :D
16 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great, but... OPM already moves eello, so how will this be compatible? infact, i think a couple of planet mods move eeloo, maybe even new horizons

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 123nick said:

great, but... OPM already moves eello, so how will this be compatible? infact, i think a couple of planet mods move eeloo, maybe even new horizons

Well... I'll provide a patch for that... Or OPM will... Who knows...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I try to focus on Daphy, it focuses to Sarvin instead. Even if I try to right click on Daphy and click focus view....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeremythebeast said:

If I try to focus on Daphy, it focuses to Sarvin instead. Even if I try to right click on Daphy and click focus view....

Yeah, that's because Daphy is so small and Sarvin is so big, that the game draws the box that lets you select Sarvin over where Daphy also is.

 

In order to focus on Daphy or any other bodies, use the TAB button on your keyboard!

Edited by amarius1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the release! And are there liquids on Fonso's surface?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Congrats on the release! And are there liquids on Fonso's surface?

Thank you! Nope, the blue parts are just blue hardened ice that is only visible because impact craters and winds scaped away the sands covering it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E.V.E update! Even though there are a few bugs left to squash and some celestial bodies haven't been touched yet, I might, I repeat might be able to get it all finished on Christmas. But it'd be a Christmas miracle though.

As for the things on the To-Do list of Kerbol Origins, I could tackle the science balance and custom science defenitions. @amarius1 just give me the green light and I'll balance out the sciencevalues from Dropbox. While I won't touch the configs, I'll add a .txt file with balanced science values. Since you have more experience with Kopernicus, I'll leave updating the science multipliers to you. I could do it myself, but I'm far too afraid that I'd break something.

As for the ScienceDefs, just give me the green light and I'll add another textfile with custom science defenitions. I'll need a list of biomes for each body though as well as a description of the terrain, and pasting that here would spoil stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Well... I'll provide a patch for that... Or OPM will... Who knows...

thanks, if you do make a patch :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

E.V.E update! Even though there are a few bugs left to squash and some celestial bodies haven't been touched yet, I might, I repeat might be able to get it all finished on Christmas. But it'd be a Christmas miracle though.

As for the things on the To-Do list of Kerbol Origins, I could tackle the science balance and custom science defenitions. @amarius1 just give me the green light and I'll balance out the sciencevalues from Dropbox. While I won't touch the configs, I'll add a .txt file with balanced science values. Since you have more experience with Kopernicus, I'll leave updating the science multipliers to you. I could do it myself, but I'm far too afraid that I'd break something.

As for the ScienceDefs, just give me the green light and I'll add another textfile with custom science defenitions. I'll need a list of biomes for each body though as well as a description of the terrain, and pasting that here would spoil stuff.

Well... I GIVE YOU THE GREENLIGHT! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Well... I GIVE YOU THE GREENLIGHT! :D

why is it that both you and @The White Guardian both have planets as profile pics? i know its a bit offtopic, but im actually just finding an excuse to ask about the eeloo patch without it sounding like i solely desire it :P .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 123nick said:

why is it that both you and @The White Guardian both have planets as profile pics? i know its a bit offtopic, but im actually just finding an excuse to ask about the eeloo patch without it sounding like i solely desire it :P .

I don't know... Coincidence maybe...

BTW I'll deliver the Eeloo patch when we have more things finished. W can't release an update containing just a patch... Well... Maybe a silent update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Been waiting for this.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tjsnh said:

Nice! Been waiting for this.

Thank you! Development will certainly continue! Altrough... That To-Do list will probably take a year to complete... XD

BTW I also need to learn part modding now lol... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some testing with Manai, and I didn't overheat in the atmosphere. In fact, there weren't any reentry effects at all! I'm not too sure if it's a glitch or just because I may not have been fast enough. Either way, I want the perfect planet to BBQ Kerbals.:sticktongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I did some testing with Manai, and I didn't overheat in the atmosphere. In fact, there weren't any reentry effects at all! I'm not too sure if it's a glitch or just because I may not have been fast enough. Either way, I want the perfect planet to BBQ Kerbals.:sticktongue:

Well there are 2 reasons of no overheating: 

  1. Atmosphere is too thin
  2. You are going too slow

SO no bug. I think that you should start to overheat and explode at about 30m over the lava but if you enable heat resistance trough cheats, you can actually get to the ocean! :D

Edited by amarius1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23-12-2015 at 2:29 PM, 123nick said:

why is it that both you and @The White Guardian both have planets as profile pics? i know its a bit offtopic, but im actually just finding an excuse to ask about the eeloo patch without it sounding like i solely desire it :P .

I have Saturn as my profile pic because I absolutely love the planet. Both the planet and it's moons are fascinating. If I weren't drowning in work, I would give you some examples.

On 23-12-2015 at 9:49 AM, amarius1 said:

Well... I GIVE YOU THE GREENLIGHT! :D

Alright, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I have Saturn as my profile pic because I absolutely love the planet. Both the planet and it's moons are fascinating. If I weren't drowning in work, I would give you some examples.

Alright, then.

ok, cool :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone having issues with the rings of Sarvin turning red?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tjsnh said:

Anyone having issues with the rings of Sarvin turning red?

Hmm... Strange... Could you post your game logs and system specs? BTW are the rings rather pink? Try disabling OpenGL (if you use that). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@amarius1, under To-Do -> mechanics you listed "Intergration with EVE for clouds and atmospheric glow ~via~ EVE "

Well, the E.V.E reboot broke the atmospheric glow, so until I manage to get it working again, I cannot add that feature. If I can get it to work again, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

@amarius1, under To-Do -> mechanics you listed "Intergration with EVE for clouds and atmospheric glow ~via~ EVE "

Well, the E.V.E reboot broke the atmospheric glow, so until I manage to get it working again, I cannot add that feature. If I can get it to work again, that is.

Well... too bad... 

 

I was allready working on scatterer configs for the mod..

 

Oh... Merry Christmas!

Edited by amarius1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Well... too bad... 

 

I was allready working on scatterer configs for the mod..

 

Oh... Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too! And Scatterer is MUCH better than what I can do with E.V.E so far. Perhaps you can also add the water effects to Manai's lava seas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Merry Christmas to you too! And Scatterer is MUCH better than what I can do with E.V.E so far. Perhaps you can also add the water effects to Manai's lava seas.

Thank you! Never worked with scatterer settings before and I don't know of any planet packs that provide Scatterer configs so we might be pioneers! I hope I can finish the scatterer configs until new year. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now