amarius1

[1.3.0][Kopernicus]Kerbol Origins v.0.4.7 - biome science!

305 posts in this topic

Development is still going, everyone! Right now I'm taking a break from modding till new year but I am still working on making Potatus more... Potato-like, oblate and brown like NovaSilisko imagined it. Wist me luck! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey how will this work with new horizons which also changes the main menu picture?

edit: also, how will this work with other mods that change the orbit of kerbin, and other planets, like new horizons? 

Edited by 123nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 123nick said:

hey how will this work with new horizons which also changes the main menu picture?

edit: also, how will this work with other mods that change the orbit of kerbin, and other planets, like new horizons? 

Well KillAshley should intergrate a patch for that since New Horizonts  is a better known mod that Kerbol Origins. If not, I will provide a patch pack that includes patches for Eeloo (moved by NH and OPM), Sarvin (NH and OPM) and all other planets and moons. 

 

UPDATE: Next update is starting to come along nicely after my short winter vacantion. Next update will future a COMPLETELY revamped Potatus, now an oblate, fast-rotating potato-shaped body.  A new moon for Keelon, called Lok amd the two barycentric dwarf planets Ganag and Kal are also in the works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo! It looks nice. Stockalike enough, I think.

Definitely a lot better then when I tried it :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are Ganag and Kal going to look like in the next Kerbol Origins update? I'm curious to see if they will inherit any features from Pluto and/or Charon. Also, what is Lok like? Is it anything like one of the moons of Keelon from Kerbol Plus, or is it completely different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i downloaded it and NO TEXTURES! Aaaaaah! What to do??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kekkie said:

Well i downloaded it and NO TEXTURES! Aaaaaah! What to do??????

Really strange... Send me your logs, be sure you installed the mod correctly, tell me your system specs and what software u use to unzip files. Can't solve anything if you don't give more info...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05.01.2016 at 2:51 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

How are Ganag and Kal going to look like in the next Kerbol Origins update? I'm curious to see if they will inherit any features from Pluto and/or Charon. Also, what is Lok like? Is it anything like one of the moons of Keelon from Kerbol Plus, or is it completely different?

The moons of Keelon from Kerbol Plus were just placeholders until we could find good ideas and textures for them. Lok is still a secret... for now ;) 

Ganag and Kal will kind of inherit some features from Pluto and Charon as I'll try to create their heightmaps starting from the real life counterparts like @Eudae55 did (but he uses advanced terrain gen software... :(  )

 

Cheers! I haven't done much for the next update other than revamping Potatus as I'm on a ski vacantion far away from town. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, amarius1 said:

The moons of Keelon from Kerbol Plus were just placeholders until we could find good ideas and textures for them. Lok is still a secret... for now ;) 

Ganag and Kal will kind of inherit some features from Pluto and Charon as I'll try to create their heightmaps starting from the real life counterparts like @Eudae55 did (but he uses advanced terrain gen software... :(  )

 

Cheers! I haven't done much for the next update other than revamping Potatus as I'm on a ski vacantion far away from town. 

 

"Lok" Almost the same as how to say the word "Earth" or "World" in my language...

 

Anyways, my trips at Sarvin system end up really boring (If not going into rings/watching Sarvin/try to send a probe into it) because there's nothing to do with these simple rocky/icy moons... Keelon moons are also boring.

 

Waiting for more objects!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05.01.2016 at 2:51 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

How are Ganag and Kal going to look like in the next Kerbol Origins update? I'm curious to see if they will inherit any features from Pluto and/or Charon. Also, what is Lok like? Is it anything like one of the moons of Keelon from Kerbol Plus, or is it completely different?

The moons of Keelon from Kerbol Plus were just placeholders until we could find good ideas and textures for them. Lok is still a secret... for now ;) 

Ganag and Kal will kind of inherit some features from Pluto and Charon as I'll try to create their heightmaps starting from the real life counterparts like @Eudae55 did (but he uses advanced terrain gen software... :(  )

 

Cheers! I haven't done much for the next update other than revamping Potatus as I'm on a ski vacantion far away from town. 

On 07.01.2016 at 5:21 PM, Hypercosmic said:

"Lok" Almost the same as how to say the word "Earth" or "World" in my language...

 

Anyways, my trips at Sarvin system end up really boring (If not going into rings/watching Sarvin/try to send a probe into it) because there's nothing to do with these simple rocky/icy moons... Keelon moons are also boring.

 

Waiting for more objects!

Thank you! I will try to add some easter eggs on Fonso and Shayle. Potatus, as I've said, is going trough a major redesign. I might also improve Daphy. I'm thinking lf making Daphy A LOT SMALLER like in Nova's specifications. 

 

Manai isn't interesting? I don't want to go trough a redesign with it... :(   

 

Also, the new planets are compatible with resources so they aren't just rocks. You can establish bases on them or collect science from their biomes. Biomes also need to be multiplied. By far, the most hard to get biome is the lava seas on Manai... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keelon's current moons are NOTHING like I thought moons of a cold, giant desert planet would be like (translation: they are AMAZING). I really want to try and fly SSTO's in Revus' canyons, but the gravity is too high. Maybe Revus' gravity should be lower in the next update. A 0.25-0.35 gravity seems to make more sense from a medium-sized, icy moon. Or you can save the SSTO-flying for that red dwarf planet that reminds me of colored chocolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08.01.2016 at 10:07 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Keelon's current moons are NOTHING like I thought moons of a cold, giant desert planet would be like (translation: they are AMAZING). I really want to try and fly SSTO's in Revus' canyons, but the gravity is too high. Maybe Revus' gravity should be lower in the next update. A 0.25-0.35 gravity seems to make more sense from a medium-sized, icy moon. Or you can save the SSTO-flying for that red dwarf planet that reminds me of colored chocolate.

Thank you a lot! Gravity values will be better balanced in next update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Thank you a lot! Gravity values will be better balanced in next update.

Hmm. I have some real mathemathical equations for the surface gravity and all I need is the radius and the mass or the radius and the density of the planet or moon.

And still, I can guess pretty good, I know quite a lot about space (and that's one heckuva understatement). Should I balance out the gravity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Hmm. I have some real mathemathical equations for the surface gravity and all I need is the radius and the mass or the radius and the density of the planet or moon.

And still, I can guess pretty good, I know quite a lot about space (and that's one heckuva understatement). Should I balance out the gravity?

Yes, of course! I think letting me in charge for the hard job of creating the planets is a good idea. A sneak peek of the new Potatus will be aviable in a while. I  hope I didn't sound anoyed, because I really wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program" Page 7: Nova's Comment:

Spoiler

Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.
Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)
Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.
Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.
More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations EX. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.
Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)
Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.
Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)
Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)
Tiny moons: Same case as Jool

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)
- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

Gas planet 4: Who knows.

Beyond: Who knows x2

 

Edited by Hypercosmic
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.01.2016 at 10:21 AM, Hypercosmic said:

"Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program" Page 7: Nova's Comment:

  Reveal hidden contents

Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.
Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)
Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.
Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.
More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations EX. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.
Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)
Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.
Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)
Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)
Tiny moons: Same case as Jool

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)
- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

Gas planet 4: Who knows.

Beyond: Who knows x2

 

Thank you for this! Had a hard time finding them. The thing is that I really need to balance between realism, the engine limitations and original ideas. Strange bugs occur at small bodies so I made all of GP2's moons bigger than original (altrough Daohy now is a lot smaller like it was supposed to and Potatus has oblate surface and pretty fast rotation)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/1/2559 at 3:42 PM, amarius1 said:

Thank you for this! Had a hard time finding them. The thing is that I really need to balance between realism, the engine limitations and original ideas. Strange bugs occur at small bodies so I made all of GP2's moons bigger than original (altrough Daohy now is a lot smaller like it was supposed to and Potatus has oblate surface and pretty fast rotation)

Some weird suggestions:

You could make Manai orbit Kerbol even closer than Moho, tidal locked and got one lava sea facing Kerbol as an original NovaSilisko's first planet while Revus has diffused rings. Fix Keelon so it has that 6g and 30 atm, for some crazy players who want extremely high science. Don't forget very strong heat shields! Give Laythe fixed volcanoes which destroy vulnerable parts of the ships. Fixing minor moons' orbits around Sarvin and add minor moons to Jool! ;)

 

Well... That's only my suggestions which... Ehhh... Pretty much dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2016 at 6:23 PM, Hypercosmic said:

Some weird suggestions:

You could make Manai orbit Kerbol even closer than Moho, tidal locked and got one lava sea facing Kerbol as an original NovaSilisko's first planet while Revus has diffused rings. Fix Keelon so it has that 6g and 30 atm, for some crazy players who want extremely high science. Don't forget very strong heat shields! Give Laythe fixed volcanoes which destroy vulnerable parts of the ships. Fixing minor moons' orbits around Sarvin and add minor moons to Jool! ;)

 

Well... That's only my suggestions which... Ehhh... Pretty much dream.

  1. I won't make Manai do that... But maybe in some future update, along with the dwarf planets, you'll get that.
  2. Revus' rings are in the works. Lok, Keelon's third moon is allready finished. It currently looks like a kerbalised Io but with an equatorial reddish ridge.
  3. Back when the first ever iteration of Keelon was created (1 year and a half ago) 6g made ships literally impossible to land, as parts couldn't resist the pull of other parts. Same for the high atm. And that's how Keelon remained how it is. Further atmospheric tweaks will come.
  4. I don't know about Laythe... I am no plugin coder so there's no way I could do such an advanced thing as that (altrough @Thomas P. could do it and a collaboration with him is very hard as I'm not the best at coordination)
  5. Orbits for Sarvin's moons were improved last week. 
  6. Maybe a thin ring and asteroid moonlets in place of minor moons for Jool...

STATUS UPDATE:

  • Completed Corolet, a white, pro-gen comet with working tail on extremely hard to reach orbit
  • Completed Lok, Keelon's third moon. Looks like Io but with large craters and equatorial reddish ridge
  • Completed Rega, an extremely small dwarf planet orbiting in the Asteroid Belt (near Dres' orbit), with extremely whide rings
  • Added Asteroid Belt. It makes KSP's asteroid generation system generate big asteroids between Dres and Rega. They are not a lot, in order to keep framerates low, but there are certainly enough to count as a belt.
  • Added WIP black radiator parts for probes around Corolet so you can resist the perihelion while around the comet.
  • Added WIP "Horizon" parabolic antenna compatible with Remote Tech. Useful for those long voyages to Keelon, Sarvin or Corolet.
  • Tweaked orbits of moons around Keelon and Sarvin
  • Tweaked atmospheric tint of Sarvin
  • Tweaked Sarvin's texture so it looks more like a gas giant instead of a giant metal sphere with rings
  • Tweaked Sarvin's rings so they no longer cause headaches

Have fun, dear kerbalnauts!

 

UPDATE:

The parts are still very buggy and require a lot of work as well as custom models so they might come in a long time...

Edited by amarius1
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi i'm also having the problem that a lot of the planets don't come with textures in the files and the few that do the planet shows up white but you can see the mountains on them. Sarvin comes with textures but it white and one of the rings looks like it has texture. any help would be great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pilot410 said:

Hi i'm also having the problem that a lot of the planets don't come with textures in the files and the few that do the planet shows up white but you can see the mountains on them. Sarvin comes with textures but it white and one of the rings looks like it has texture. any help would be great!

Please send me some pictures. What software do you use to unzip files?

 

I believe it's an issue on your side as I've checked the files once more and the textures are there...

Edited by amarius1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Please send me some pictures. What software do you use to unzip files?

 

I believe it's an issue on your side as I've checked the files once more and the textures are there...

dont know how to send pictures on here but im using winRAR and some of the planets do have their textures but they show up white in game and i followed the directions perfect you can see the mountains on them but not texture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pilot410 said:

dont know how to send pictures on here but im using winRAR and some of the planets do have their textures but they show up white in game and i followed the directions perfect you can see the mountains on them but not texture.

Tell me your system specs. Here's what to do:

  • In your KerbalSpaceProgram folder you'll see a folder named "Logs". There you'll see some planet names. That is where planet logs are stored. They might provide insight of what could be causing your issue. Copy the contents of the logs that corespond to the planets that are not working and upload them to Pastebin.com, each with the name coresponding to the respective planet. COpy and paste the links of the Pastebin files you just uploaded, to this post. No logs, no solving...
  • Reinstall the mod - if it still doesn't solve the issue...
  • ...start deleting all the folders inside GameData except the "Squad" one and reinstall the mod - if this doesn't solve it either...
  • ...reinstall KSP from scratch and, once again, install the mode alone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on version...0.2? It doesn't say, so I'm not too sure...

Also, for later updates, please add in Pergas and Kralus with textures nearly identical to their old ones! They are some of the most beautiful rocky planets in any KSP planet pack (other than Blalo, Elno, Tekto, and Laho). Also, I want to try to give Pergas oceans and science the you-know-what out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Congrats on version...0.2? It doesn't say, so I'm not too sure...

Also, for later updates, please add in Pergas and Kralus with textures nearly identical to their old ones! They are some of the most beautiful rocky planets in any KSP planet pack (other than Blalo, Elno, Tekto, and Laho). Also, I want to try to give Pergas oceans and science the you-know-what out of it.

Ok... But only Kralaus might make it in as it is more unique. I had complains about how boring is this planet pack and how not-unique it feels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is this compatible with OPM? 

EDIT: So both mods move Eeloo. Is there any modfication i can do to the files to stop Eeloo from being move by the mod (what files do i delete/edit)? 

ANOTHER EDIT: Doesn't deleting Eeloos files fix this? If that works wouldn't that be the patch? 

Edited by Shnezzberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now