[1.8.1+][Kopernicus]Kerbol Origins v.0.4.9 - Development Stalled Indefinitely

amarius1

On 22.12.2015 at 8:15 PM, amarius1 said:

Acting Lead Developer

You might want to know the definition of "acting"

someone who does a job for a short time while the person who usually does that job is not there

Not exactly true in your case

21 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

You might want to know the definition of "acting"

Not exactly true in your case

I never really noticed the typo but, @amarius1, he is actually correct. Changing it to 'lead developer' would be more precise, I suppose.

BTW should I make some artwork of Kerbol Origins for banner purposes and stuff? Not wanna brag, but I have some pretty cool examples over at my DeviantArt.

Edited by The White Guardian

9 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I haven't just considered it, I am already doing it. I'm currently going through every file of Kerbol Origins to look for problems. I even ended up making a biome map for Corolet!

Excellent! I await your progress.

Also I approve of your artwork

Edited by nsgallup

23 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I never really noticed the typo but, @amarius1, he is actually correct. Changing it to 'lead developer' would be more precise, I suppose.

BTW should I make some artwork of Kerbol Origins for banner purposes and stuff? Not wanna brag, but I have some pretty cool examples over at my DeviantArt.

Also, if you want, please post your artwork! They will certainly look awesome!

17 minutes ago, ComradeGreen said:

Hm, I'd love a planet mod, but i always have a problem with Eeloo Moves, since its one of my favourite bodies due to its distance out.

Any chance of making the Eeloo Move optional? or are you making a new Dwarf Planet?

Hello there! Well if you don't want Eeloo to be moved just delete the Eeloo folder under KerbolOrigins>SarvinSystem

The mod is made so if you don't want a planet or moon to be in your game, or to be modified, you can easily delete all its files.

4 minutes ago, amarius1 said:

Hello there! Well if you don't want Eeloo to be moved just delete the Eeloo folder under KerbolOrigins>SarvinSystem

The mod is made so if you don't want a planet or moon to be in your game, or to be modified, you can easily delete all its files.

Ohhh, that's cool. Thanks. Is that the same for all Koprenicus mods?
(Ill definitely be adding this to my Career Game)

8 hours ago, ComradeGreen said:

Ohhh, that's cool. Thanks. Is that the same for all Koprenicus mods?
(Ill definitely be adding this to my Career Game)

Well not really. Some Kopernicus mods have their folder structure made in such way that they store the .cfgs (files that tell kopernicus to make the planet and how to make it) and textures in different folders. In OPM, for example, it is quite confusing for a starter to find where to delete moons. Here, every moon and planet has its own folder containing the .cfgs and textures. Delete everything you want and it's good. 

Folders like SarvinSystem and KeelonSystem are folders for large planets with moons and deleting them, will of course delete all the moons contained around them.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Kopernicus or the mod itself, but when the main menu loads, the first few times the planets render as so:

Example 1  Example 2

I Installed a clean copy of both Kopernicus and Kerbal Origins and I also tested this on another PC and it occurred there.

Also, after a while the texture of potatus eventually loads, so maybe it is just a loading issue. 

Edited by jeremythebeast

14 hours ago, jeremythebeast said:

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Kopernicus or the mod itself, but when the main menu loads, the first few times the planets render as so:

Example 1  Example 2

I Installed a clean copy of both Kopernicus and Kerbal Origins and I also tested this on another PC and it occurred there.

Also, after a while the texture of potatus eventually loads, so maybe it is just a loading issue. 

Knows isue. Dunno how to fix it unforcenatelly. It shouldn't affect things in-game tho.

15 hours ago, jeremythebeast said:

Hi,

Example 1  Example 2

That issue only happens on OpenGL based operating systems (macs, linux).  This is because they don't play well with .dds textures.  The dev would need to convert all .dds textures to .png.  What I have done with my planet pack is just create a separate download for Mac and Linux users that includes only png textures. 

This issue may also happen if you are forcing OpenGL in your command line

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

That issue only happens on OpenGL based operating systems (macs, linux).  This is because they don't play well with .dds textures.  The dev would need to convert all .dds textures to .png.  What I have done with my planet pack is just create a separate download for Mac and Linux users that includes only png textures. 

This issue may also happen if you are forcing OpenGL in your command line

Well that seems right. That title screen issue doesn't seem to happen to gas giants tho?

11 minutes ago, amarius1 said:

Well that seems right. That title screen issue doesn't seem to happen to gas giants tho?

that's because they don't have normal maps. so theoretically, if the planets didnt have normal maps in dds, you should be fine.

Edited by Galileo

amarius1, the problem with the biomes is in the config file where you specify the color associated with each biome. You're giving colors normalized to 255, while Kopernicus expects them normalized to 1. Changing

color = 15,33,55,1

to

color = 0.063, 0.129, 0.208, 1

and so on allows KSP to read the biome map correctly. Now I can analyze Harvest properly!

1 hour ago, kjgoebel said:

amarius1, the problem with the biomes is in the config file where you specify the color associated with each biome. You're giving colors normalized to 255, while Kopernicus expects them normalized to 1. Changing

color = 15,33,55,1

to

color = 0.063, 0.129, 0.208, 1

and so on allows KSP to read the biome map correctly. Now I can analyze Harvest properly!

Ten points! Nail on the head, that is exactly the problem I've been encountering and fixing in the Kerbol Origins configs!

Do people still want delta-v requirements info for this mod? Are the orbits or masses of the bodies in this mod likely to change drastically in the future?

I have that information if people are interested and it's not going to become obsolete soon.

13 hours ago, kjgoebel said:

Do people still want delta-v requirements info for this mod? Are the orbits or masses of the bodies in this mod likely to change drastically in the future?

I have that information if people are interested and it's not going to become obsolete soon.

Orbits and masses are not going to change. They won't become obsolete anytime soon!

Here's the info. I'd make a pretty map, but design programs are not my strong suit.
All velocities are in m/s. Numbers in parentheses are maximum plane change requirements. Actual plane change requirements will usually be much smaller. These numbers were generated by a program I wrote. It produces the right numbers for the stock bodies, so I think these are probably pretty good. I have no way of dealing with atmospheres though, so you're on your own for landings on Fonso, Manai and Keelon.
In case it's not clear, "[Moon] Intercept" means coming in to the moon's parent's space just over the parent's atmosphere and doing a burn there to bring your apoapsis down to the moon's orbit. This makes maximum use of the Oberth effect, but it's not always the most efficient way to make low orbit over the moon.

Eve Transfer: Kerbin escape + 93 (31)
    Faz Intercept: transfer + 113
        Low Faz Orbit: intercept + 278
            Faz Landing: 294
    Eve Transfer Directly to Low Faz Orbit: 370 (only if Faz is in the right position)

Rega Transfer: Kerbin escape + 800 (1464)
    Low Rega Orbit: transfer + 1506
        Rega Landing: 259

Sarvin Transfer: Kerbin escape + 1399 (505)
    Daphy Intercept: transfer + 1332
        Low Daphy Orbit: intercept + 941
            Daphy Landing: 136
    Sarvin Transfer Directly to Low Daphy Orbit: 1653 (only if Daphy is in the right position)
    Potatus Intercept: transfer + 457
        Low Potatus Orbit: intercept + 798
            Potatus Landing: 618 (depending on latitude)
    Sarvin Transfer Directly to Low Potatus Orbit: 923 (only if Potatus is in the right position)
    Fonso Intercept: transfer + 384
        Low Fonso Orbit: intercept + 731
            Fonso Landing: I dunno.
    Sarvin Transfer Directly to Low Fonso Orbit: 1115 (only if Fonso is in the right position)
    Eeloo Intercept: transfer + 263
        Low Eeloo Orbit: intercept + 536
            Eeloo Landing: 609
    Sarvin Transfer Directly to Low Eeloo Orbit: always worse than Sarvin-grazing approach.
    Shayle Intercept: transfer + 231
        Low Shayle Orbit: intercept + 486
            Shayle Landing: 374
    Sarvin Transfer Directly to Low Shayle Orbit: always worse than Sarvin-grazing approach.
    Low Sarvin Orbit: transfer + 2673

Keelon Transfer: Kerbin escape + 1665 (452)
    Manai Intercept: transfer + 560
        Low Manai Orbit: intercept + 468
            Manai Landing: I dunno
    Keelon Transfer Directly to Low Manai Orbit: 602
    Revus Intercept: transfer + 160
        Low Refus Orbit: intercept + 455
            Revus Landing: 1014
    Keelon Transfer Directly to Low Revus Orbit: always worse than Keelon-grazing approach.

Transfer to Corolet at Periapsis: Kerbin escape + 148 (975)
    Low Corolet Orbit: transfer + 3456
Transfer to Corolet at Apoapsis: Kerbin escape + 1687 (3614)
    Low Corolet Orbit: transfer + 39
Corolet Landing: 105

Harvest is a special case, because it's coorbital with Kerbin. You're not doing a Hohmann transfer, you're doing a phasing maneuver. In principle, if you're willing to wait for a long time, any Kerbin escape will get you to Harvest eventually, if it doesn't get you back to Kerbin first. If you want to make it in one orbit though, you need Kerbin escape + about 30m/s to make Harvest intercept. Then it's about 360m/s to make low Harvest orbit and about 450m/s to return. Those last two numbers should be the same, because of the reversability of orbital mechanics. I think the difference is an artifact of using patched conics. For the transfer from Kerbin to Harvest, it helps to set up the burn so that you exit Kerbin's SOI with a significant outward radial component to your velocity relative to the sun. I believe that's also an artifact of using patched conics.
Harvest Landing: 662

Happy Landings.

I love this mod, by the way. I love it because it's not "kerbal analogues" of things in the real solar system. My favorite objects in the stock Kerbol system have always been Minmus and Dres, because when I first saw them in the map I thought "Oh, what's that?" and wanted to go there and find out. Having an object that's co-orbital with Kerbin just makes a nice introduction to interplanetary missions, too. Nice work, guys.

17 hours ago, kjgoebel said:

I love this mod, by the way. I love it because it's not "kerbal analogues" of things in the real solar system. My favorite objects in the stock Kerbol system have always been Minmus and Dres, because when I first saw them in the map I thought "Oh, what's that?" and wanted to go there and find out. Having an object that's co-orbital with Kerbin just makes a nice introduction to interplanetary missions, too. Nice work, guys.

We thank you a lot! We have been working on this for a long time now and myself, I've started this project a little over a year ago. It is nice to see it being used by users and to see how they find something unique apart from other planet packs. This is a dream came true!

There are still minor bugs but nothing gamebreaking.. Current bugs waiting to be fixed are: sometimes in Title Screen the title planet might appear with yellow stripes. From tests everything is fine after you enter the game itself. Another bug we need to is is an issue with some of the biome maps (might be all) where only one biome is being recognised. 

Future things to do: 

Add more parts, polish more the planet textures, add custom contracts, integration with KSPedia, full custom science comments, integration with more mods, edit planet orbit colors to be more vibrant...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.