[1.2] 'Otter' Submersible (USI Submarine Parts) [0.2.0]

RoverDude

While these do look cool, the controls are absolutely vomit-inducing. Since you don't have a water compressor/decompressor (like the maritime pack), I have to increase and decrease ballast manually. That means that one side will be heavier or lighter for a second, resulting in a flip. I don't know what levels you have the ballast at in the picture of the sub above, but none of the ones I've tried work. The sub's nose keeps pitching wildly. Even if I try to make a small one-person sub, using the ventral ballast tanks, it keeps wanting to go belly-up, no matter if I have the ballast tanks full.

I'm not saying that the mod is bad, it just needs something to make the controls better.

Although it may just simply be that KSP has god-awful water physics. All submarines from all mods that I have tried cannot stay level. Either they are trying to pitch up or down or go belly-up. 

Yes. I even added a couple reaction wheel modules. RCS thrusters, SAS, and more reaction wheels.

Speaking about the RCS, you have the bubble effects coming out the opposite direction that they are supposed to.

On 6/26/2016 at 0:38 PM, Raptor22 said:

While these do look cool, the controls are absolutely vomit-inducing. Since you don't have a water compressor/decompressor (like the maritime pack), I have to increase and decrease ballast manually. That means that one side will be heavier or lighter for a second, resulting in a flip. I don't know what levels you have the ballast at in the picture of the sub above, but none of the ones I've tried work. The sub's nose keeps pitching wildly. Even if I try to make a small one-person sub, using the ventral ballast tanks, it keeps wanting to go belly-up, no matter if I have the ballast tanks full.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. You have to really do some messing around with ballast placement and settings until you get something that doesn't flip immediately.

Instead of a shorter sub, try a longer one with at least two inline ballast parts, one at the front and one at the back. That reasoning is how/why I came up with the Seaslug 1.

Also, Roverdude, if you're going to expand this pack, I suggest adding a conning tower (could be a crew compartment?) and a ballast nosecone. Also, drone parts would be cool too.

Edited by robotguy4

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Give me a ping Cairan. One ping only please.

This ain't no biological, seaman Beaumont... 

http://imgur.com/a/DYC4u

:cool::D

Triple 'Otter' screws give it a cruise speed of about 16 m/s (30 knots :) ), with redundant ventral oceanic extractor pumps to get the fore and aft water buoyancy balance ballasts filled, weighed downed by 2 Uraninite-filled tanks as primary ballast to make it go down. Dumping the ballast overboard is achieved with Ship Manifest. Surface (splashed or landed) propulsion is provided by Sievert lightbulb reactor, which also provides electrical power. This sucker can go 100 m/s skimming the surface, without loosing parts. :P 

Edited by Cairan
minor precision on parts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 1:02 PM, Cairan said:

This ain't no biological, seaman Beaumont... 

http://imgur.com/a/DYC4u

:cool::D

Triple 'Otter' screws give it a cruise speed of about 16 m/s (30 knots :) ), with redundant ventral oceanic extractor pumps to get the fore and aft water buoyancy balance ballasts filled, weighed downed by 2 Uraninite-filled tanks as primary ballast to make it go down. Dumping the ballast overboard is achieved with Ship Manifest. Surface (splashed or landed) propulsion is provided by Sievert lightbulb reactor, which also provides electrical power. This sucker can go 100 m/s skimming the surface, without loosing parts. :P 

Wow, nice ship! You should try sending it to explore Eve. Also, using radioactive material as ballast is one of the most Kerbal things I've seen done in a while. :P

On 18/08/2016 at 3:25 PM, SquaredSpekz said:

Really cool pack! I hope you will still work on this (my brain is imagining massive Subs, and small drones). In the meantime I made this cool image

UIAwnWC.jpg

Alright, that's just got me craving a subnautica/KSP crossover

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 5:38 PM, Raptor22 said:

Since you don't have a water compressor/decompressor (like the maritime pack)...

Have you ever tried to compress water?

@RoverDude: am I missing something about the in-line ballast plate vs the ventral ballast plate? The ventral plate looks much smaller than the in-line one, but holds much more.

Edited by seanth

If I mentioned a water compressor, then yes, I have. it does nothing. That's because it uses intake fluid instead of compressed water - two different resources.

Also, @comham, *SPOILER ALERT!*

(It won't let me put in one of those spoiler tabs. Just ignore if you don't want it spoiled)

In Subnautica, they're making a rocket for the end of the game. You construct the platform, then the rocket, then launch. Apparently they're binding keys to "WOOHOO!" "HAHA!" "YEAH!", etc. sound effects, so you can mash keys to celebrate as you ascend.

So, it's almost like a crossover. Perhaps you can use the floats from the survivability pack to make the pod.

This sub pack is absolutely fantastic!

Only problem I have is with pressure tolerances turned on the sub is crushed at about 400 meters (every part seems to have a default max pressure of 4000kPa which is kinda low for a sub and ridiculously high for things like the lander can). Do you know if there is a config value I can set to up the pressure tolerance?

I gotta say I love having a twist on the Kerbal nightmare of de-solidifying pressure loss to sardine-can-ifying hull crushes.

14 hours ago, J162doesMC said:

That's because KerbalStuff is dead... Like, permanently shutdown.

#RIPKerbalStuff

Well, as a necromancer you should be able to bring it back (check the date on my post :P).

On 12/23/2015 at 8:23 AM, Rodger said:

Awesome! Got one down to -750m, bumped the back end of it on the ocean floor and broke the inline impeller straight away lol :sticktongue:

Just the first couple of things I've noticed:

The radial impellers don't seem to do... well anything really, besides make cool bubbles lol. Even after I dumped my lead and emptied the water tanks, so vessel mass was around 5T, the tiny thrust from them didn't seem to do anything. My horiz vel was just showing NaN, and my vertical was 1.4m/s, with the radial impellers on or off.

And the inline impeller seems to need to rotate 180° to actually be placed in the right direction for it to thrust forward. And a thrust reverser could be cool too, ether for speed control, or just making radial 'engine' pods with them somehow (maybe with a radial hull part?), facing forwards and backwards.

And the particles from the pod's RCS are going in the opposite direction to what they should be, they move towards the direction of thrust. And they didn't activate until I selected 'activate RCS port' form the pod's right click menu. Just using the RCS hotkey didn't activate them.

You think that the Radial Impellers so not have thrust, but it simply is inadequate thrust to propel the craft, they only have 10 kn, its like a helium balloon trying to sink into the ocean, there is too much resistance.