[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

On 5/7/2016 at 0:16 PM, smallgreenant said:

Any idea on a timeframe for the next release of your project, friend?

The answer to this is always "When it's ready." Please recall that modders are volunteers working in their spare time, asking them to keep a production schedule is asking a bit much.

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

The answer to this is always "When it's ready." Please recall that modders are volunteers working in their spare time, asking them to keep a production schedule is asking a bit much.

And OFC, we have take in account that the modder said that he is not sure he can pull it out in Unity 5, because the function he was using in Unity 4 for this was heavily changed and is no longer a fit for this...

1 hour ago, smallgreenant said:

Im not asking you to keep a schedule, just picking your brain since we don't live together.

[SNIP!]

Yet.

Umm...

Edited by Andem

39 minutes ago, olekopyto said:

Do'h!

ATM does't work,

DTL makes KSP go crash-crash,

OpenGL Makes weird things happen!

Yeah, It's unfortunate. Hopefully something will get fixed soon...

3 hours ago, Tokamak Utsuho said:

That is the quite funny actually, how you phrase this lol

Not an English speaker, eh? I'm guessing Japanese (I know some basic Japanese).

News flash: My computer died.

56 minutes ago, Syczek said:

I hope u will update this mod because ksp even with 8 gb swallows it almost all with 80 mods

Or you (which is spelled thusly) could just use a swap partition (in Windows-land, "page file"). It's not like all 8Gb is in the working set.

2 hours ago, Syczek said:

My pagefile on windows have 20 gb space size so i think is more enough.Really this game need load on demand

Then you don't have a memory management problem; the OS will page out the bits of that 8G that aren't being used. DTL was a good thing in the 32-bit days, but it really is never worthwhile to try and prempt the OS's memory management if you don't have to.

9 minutes ago, damerell said:

Then you don't have a memory management problem; the OS will page out the bits of that 8G that aren't being used. DTL was a good thing in the 32-bit days, but it really is never worthwhile to try and prempt the OS's memory management if you don't have to.

I'd actually disagree with that blanket statement.  The OS tries to guess based on usage patterns what's been used and what hasn't - if you've got a better understanding of what's going to be needed and what isn't at a specific point than you can do quite a bit better than the OS can.  The OS also doesn't know things like 'this object spans half of this page file, but we won't need the other half ever again'.

That's not to say a naive attempt won't do significantly worse than a well-tuned OS's memory management.  But an intelligent attempt can do significantly better.

12 hours ago, cpy said:

So is this mod close to release? I have 32GB ram but kerbal GC starts to lag whole game when it allocates  5GB+ ram. :(

This mod won't help with that. High RAM usage generally comes from big textures, like in planet packs or part packs. GC issues are exacerbated by plugins, which generally have a very small memory footprint. Best you can do is remove any plugin mods you don't absolutely need.

Also, please don't ask for release dates for mods, we have a rule about that.

On April 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM, rbray89 said:

Working on the crashes.

Unfortunately it seems as though the unity upgrade borked one of the functions I was heavily relying on. I have to refactor a LOT of code to get this to work, and early testing shows that it may not be possible.

I'll keep you all informed here of any progress.

On May 4, 2016 at 10:05 AM, rbray89 said:

Still working on it. I have to move to an entirely different mechanism, which makes things difficult.

Do you need any help? What would be the most useful help you could get? Like extra developers eyeballing the code, CI infrastructure to run tests on every commit, testers writing and executing test cases,...