[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

why you people keep coming back asking about a mod that worked around a deficiency of the 32-bit Windows KSP.

even if the intent was to work around the 32limit, the side effect was increased performance, which made the game more playable on older/slower pcs, that's why saying "just use 64bit to allocate more ram" sounds like buy a new pc.

Decreased performance in the editor and during load times, obviously

Increased performance? Funny how everything the mod author listed in the OP is _decreased_ performance. Still, what do they know?

and that's why I've mentioned  the Squad Texture Reduction Pack, which was a pure performance boost without side effects like loading time increase.

Edited by gendalf

48 minutes ago, JordanL said:

Wait, you think that the ONLY purpose of mods like this was to prevent hard crashes?

That was overwhelmingly the effect of this mod, yes. (Or, if you prefer, to increase the number of mods / texture resolution usable). As mentioned, the OS is more than capable of swapping out textures on parts that aren't in play, but it can't work around the overall address space issues.

Hard crashes are why people leapt on it with cries of glee, not the ability to look at all the part tabs in the VAB a bit more quickly.

Since it essentially has never worked well in a 1.1 world (the first of many bug reports is from the 20th April, the day after 1.1 was released) I am deeply sceptical of claims that it would improve performance in 1.1. How could anyone know?

These are all things you can verify by reading the thread. You'll also see that essentially no-one saw any benefit to using it on Linux. Why? Linux had 64-bit already and didn't need it because what it primarily did was to prevent hard crashes.

On 9/13/2016 at 5:36 PM, COL.R.Neville said:

nope there were thousands of files that werent. maybe the stock game is but very few of the mods are.. 

Then you are using very old mods, or mods from very new mod devs who dont know better....???

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/11/2016 at 0:58 AM, Kdoge20 said:

which one is 1.0.5?

i'm confused at github link

The second last download IIRC.

2 hours ago, Nozyspy said:

Any chance of this being updated?

No. (only because of the forum rule you just broke, which is don't ask for updates)

39 minutes ago, Nozyspy said:

So if you don't ask, how would you otherwise find out if it is or it isn't...

1.) @rbray89 has not been active for a long time so I would say it may be a while 

2.) a mod author will usually announce a new update.

3.) the rule exists so mod authors aren't bombarded by update requests

1 hour ago, Noah_Blade said:

1.) @rbray89 has not been active for a long time so I would say it may be a while 

Other than this, @rbray89 has stated more than one times that this mod is broken, cause the last Unity hasn't anymore a function that was fundamental for it.

23 hours ago, RA3236 said:

(only because of the forum rule you just broke, which is don't ask for updates)

That is not the rule. Nozyspy's post is fine.

It looks like rbray has moved on, but we'd prefer to leave this thread open in case of a return or if someone would like to attempt to pick it up.

For clarification, the rule forbids "messages that repeat inquiries for updates". The first time it's usually just to have an idea of how busy the modder is, wether they're already working on the mod or doing something else for awhile, wether they expect any difficulties updating it, etc. If it hasn't been brought up yet, we don't have that much of a problem with it (provided it's polite, of course).

That said, this discussion has been had on this thread, just one page back:

So yes, don't ask again and sit on tight. But don't hold your breath either, you may be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2016 at 5:17 PM, Nozyspy said:

So if you don't ask, how would you otherwise find out if it is or it isn't...

On 11/29/2016 at 5:59 PM, Noah_Blade said:

OR, you could just actually READ previous posts... :P

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

I lag a ton launching small rockets. I need this.

I don't think, that this mod saves you CPU power. AFAIK it's intention was to save memory as KSP was limited to 32Bit aka 4GB RAM.
Maybe check also this.
I think, if you lag plenty, even with small part counts, then maybe your CPU is to low or you have some/much mods that are doing to much stuff per physics frame.

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

I don't think, that this mod saves you CPU power. AFAIK it's intention was to save memory as KSP was limited to 32Bit aka 4GB RAM.
Maybe check also this.
I think, if you lag plenty, even with small part counts, then maybe your CPU is to low or you have some/much mods that are doing to much stuff per physics frame.

This mod doesn't just save CPU RAM. It also saves GPU processing as textures are not loaded immediately. A GPU works harder if multiple textures are loaded at the same time rather than a single one. That's why some people have CPUs that can run the game fine but their GPU is limiting them to much laggier experiences. AFAIK, the only CPU- related part of this was model compression.

48 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

This mod doesn't just save CPU RAM. It also saves GPU processing as textures are not loaded immediately. A GPU works harder if multiple textures are loaded at the same time rather than a single one. That's why some people have CPUs that can run the game fine but their GPU is limiting them to much laggier experiences. AFAIK, the only CPU- related part of this was model compression.

Hmm, I have a Core i5, 4th generation and GTX 750. When I have low FPS, fo me  it's always the CPU, that's the limit. I don't want to say you're wrong, but even with my low end GTX750, GPU performance was never my problem.

8 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hmm, I have a Core i5, 4th generation and GTX 750. When I have low FPS, fo me  it's always the CPU, that's the limit. I don't want to say you're wrong, but even with my low end GTX750, GPU performance was never my problem.

For some people we have extremely low power CPUs not designed to play games. For example mine is a 256Mb AMD Radeon HD 2600 (or in my new Surfaces case, Intel HD 4000). With these GPUs, especially while playing games, texture management is vital.