[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

3 hours ago, RA3236 said:

This mod doesn't just save CPU RAM. It also saves GPU processing as textures are not loaded immediately. A GPU works harder if multiple textures are loaded at the same time rather than a single one. That's why some people have CPUs that can run the game fine but their GPU is limiting them to much laggier experiences. AFAIK, the only CPU- related part of this was model compression.

This may be true in some contexts, but not in KSP. When you put a rocket on the launchpad, all of the textures in its parts and for the nearby bits of Kerbin are needed immediately. DTL didn't, and couldn't, do anything to change that.

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hmm, I have a Core i5, 4th generation and GTX 750. When I have low FPS, fo me  it's always the CPU, that's the limit. I don't want to say you're wrong, but even with my low end GTX750, GPU performance was never my problem.

I am running this game on an ASUS g51vx-rx05 from 2009.  I just made a 50 part sr71 mockup that drops me to about 24 fps.  I normally can run this game between 40-60 fps.  When I start dropping frames, I check my task manager which is running on a second monitor, and it is always my ram getting choked up that is causing the problem, because I didn't know until today that I could upgrade from 4gb to 8gb.  Ram getting full will cause your cpu AND (in most modern OS's) disk usage to increase dramatically, because you operating system starts swapping things from Ram to page file (swap file in linux) which is hard drive space that the OS uses as ram.

For those too lazy to google, I have a Core 2 Duo running at 2GHz, and an nvidia Geforce GTX 260M.  I can overclock my cpu to about 2.2ghz and I have overclocked my GPU in the past, but I'm currently running everything at stock clocks.  If I can run this game at these speeds, running dual monitors, and you have something newer that is slowing down, you seriously need to check your settings or something.

11 hours ago, SirGouki said:

For those too lazy to google, I have a Core 2 Duo running at 2GHz, and an nvidia Geforce GTX 260M.  I can overclock my cpu to about 2.2ghz and I have overclocked my GPU in the past, but I'm currently running everything at stock clocks.  If I can run this game at these speeds, running dual monitors, and you have something newer that is slowing down, you seriously need to check your settings or something.

Well, 50 part's is not a huge part count. With a huge part count and maybe some addition mods, that do stuff per physics frame, the CPU becomes the limiting factor. That's the way KSP is set up at the moment. It has _one_ limiting main thread that only can run on _one_ core. And some secondary threads. But it is ony utilizing one (fully) and a half core in the flight scene. So if this main thread needs to do more and more calculations (cause a higher part cound and/or mods that do stuff each frame) then the CPU-speed is the bottleneck. KSP is using around 5-8GB out of my 16GB then. I made a video that is showing and explaining this dependency from the CPU.

My highly modded install is using around 190 mods and with ships around 300 parts the frame rate goes down slowly. And it's not the GPU, the GPU not not running at the limit. Shown in the video in the linked post above.
I am perfectly fine with my system/KSP performance. I just wanted to say, that I don't think that this mod helps to improve performance, anymore, now we have 64bit KSP. Well, maybe for some low end systems. But even then, I would think, 8GB RAM would be more useful.

Edited by Jebs_SY

On 13/02/2017 at 1:48 AM, SirGouki said:

I am running this game on an ASUS g51vx-rx05 from 2009.  I just made a 50 part sr71 mockup that drops me to about 24 fps.  I normally can run this game between 40-60 fps.  When I start dropping frames, I check my task manager which is running on a second monitor, and it is always my ram getting choked up that is causing the problem, because I didn't know until today that I could upgrade from 4gb to 8gb.  Ram getting full will cause your cpu AND (in most modern OS's) disk usage to increase dramatically, because you operating system starts swapping things from Ram to page file (swap file in linux) which is hard drive space that the OS uses as ram.

It's certainly true that the limiting factor on performance can be shortage of RAM causing swapping, not too many parts for the CPU. But DTL couldn't help with that [1]; what it did is essentially what the OS swapper does.

[1] in-flight; it did help a bit with going into the VAB because it caused fewer textures to be wanted at all.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, damerell said:

It doesn't because, as you will see if you read up a little, the need for it is gone.

Well, it's true that it doesn't. But 64 bit isn't a reason not to need it for everyone, some people only have 4GB available at all.

The mod author hasn't been around for a while, so I doubt he'll update it soon. However, I'll point out that the mod has MIT license, therefore anyone so inclined can pick it up and try to get it working :) 

1 hour ago, monstah said:

Well, it's true that it doesn't. But 64 bit isn't a reason not to need it for everyone, some people only have 4GB available at all.

The mod author hasn't been around for a while, so I doubt he'll update it soon. However, I'll point out that the mod has MIT license, therefore anyone so inclined can pick it up and try to get it working :) 

IIRC the mod author had a bit of trouble finding the functions that the mod uses in Unity 5. If anyone does take over, they should be aware of this.

4 hours ago, monstah said:

Yes. As discussed ad nauseam, it still wouldn't do very much in that case. Nothing in flight and slightly aid matters in the VAB.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AeronautEdward said:

aOWk3_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif      As I wait for the holy grail (this mod) to be fixed...

Short answer: it will not.

Long answer: the modder is long time disappeared from the forum, however the mod itself was broken before that and probably unfixable at all, so leave your hopes...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

46 minutes ago, AeronautEdward said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL, I completely agree.