Hurricane Trio Block I SHLLV

Block II
Hurricane Duo Block II HLLV

Block III
Hurricane Duo Block III HLLV
Hurricane Trio Block III SHLLV

29mosw4.jpg

Background:
Those of you who tried to reproduce the Space Shuttle in KSP knows the number one problem is asymmetric thrust. There I was wrestling with the same problem when I had the brilliant idea of "why not just use more of them?" A pair of shuttles sandwiching an ET between them, now there's some symmetric thrust.

But then I thought about this idea some more, why a shuttle in the first place? Well by attaching your expensive engines to a winged... thing you get to recover and reuse those engines. But the "thing" part doesn't actually have to mean "aircraft shaped fancy payload fairing". Seen as my double shuttle idea calls for the "shuttle" part reaching the orbit together with the ET I may as well put the payload on top, then move majority of the fuel tanks to the "shuttle" part.

Then I recall I saw something similar once, and then sure enough after some research I realised I came upon the same idea as Energia II (Uragan):
368b723.jpg
3aca59d.jpg|

Or at least, the winged booster part of the idea.

Hurricane Launch Vehicle Family
2cx9v1s.jpg
Block II parachute ET recovery assumes average recovery rate of 80% of the value of the ET, otherwise all recovery are assuming 100% recovery value as they are flyback.

Awww yes the convenience and familiarity of vertical rocket launch with the low cost/ton of SSTO spaceplanes. Normal vertically launched rockets, even partially reusable ones specially designed to offer low cost to orbit can barely break the 1000 per ton barrier, so under √600 per ton in a rocket is amazing. The Hurricane launchers achieve this by using the reusable Aurora Winged Booster (more on this later), throwing way only the cheap, engine-less External Tank.

As these launchers are all based on the same propulsion unit they fly just about the same way (they're basically the same rocket, just on different scales), let's have a look at the typical mission profile:

Spoiler

e01gtd.jpg
Launch is simple: throttle up, turn on SAS and hit stage.

25ksydf.jpg
At 600m altitude, tilt eastward 5 degrees to start the gravity turn, once the prograde move to your heading just turn SAS on prograde.

qy9to7.jpg
This step is only applicable to Hurricane Solo. At T+46 the three drop tanks are empty, so stage them to lighten the vehicle. Hurricane Duo and Hurricane Trio are single stage to orbit so they do not have this staging event.

72rltt.jpg
Boosting to orbit. For 75km x75km orbit I recommend main engine cut off when your AP reaches 74km. Note that generally Hurricane launch vehicles can handing the heat load during ascent without throttling down. But being SSTO (or nearly SSTO with Hurricane Solo) they all have very high TWR towards the end of their burn, hence the high heat. It is entirely acceptable to throttle back the engines if you find your heat load maxing out, it will have negligible influence on aero/gravity loss.

2aacxlf.jpg
When you get within 15 seconds from AP it's time to start your circularisation burn. The proofing payloads have been strutted down firmly to the decoupler so it's safe to use the Z and X keys for fast throttle response. Eventually you will get that nice circular orbit.

fegk7p.jpg
Payload release. Here we see a Hurricane Duo cleanly separating into two Aurora boosters, the External Tank and the Payload. Note that the External Tank has a service bay on it's rear that's open.

mae634.jpg
For Hurricane Duo and Hurricane Trio, the ET's service bay contains the deorbit fuel tank. This fuel tank is disabled by default to prevent the Auroras from using them. Once payload is released the service bay can be opened and this fuel tank switched on to allow deorbiting the ET.

vctgz4.jpg
Deorbiting the External Tank.

e24w0.jpg
Since Hurricane Solo uses drop tanks and a nose mounted payload adaptor the payload release steps are slightly different. The adaptor first separate from the booster, the adaptor has its own reaction wheel, probe core, battery and small thrusters so it can move the payload way to a safe distance before releasing it.

21132gz.jpg
The payload adaptor can then use its engine to deorbit itself.

Aurora Winged Booster

1s1rmg.jpg

The basic propulsion unit for the Hurricane Launch Vehicle family is the Aurora Winged Booster separately developed in the SPH. The extremely low cost per ton achieved is done via recovering the Auroras which represent a significant proportion of the launch vehicle, including all of its engines. Let's have a look at a typical flyback process:

Spoiler

2utsyoi.jpg
After detaching from launch vehicle the Aurora's nav ball is often in an incorrect orientation. You can fix this by opening up the small cargo bay and hit the "Control from Here" option on the probe core.

6hmixi.jpg
Deorbiting burn. I personally prefer a fairly big deorbit burn in the area of 150m/s to 200m/s. In this case the ascent profile on the Hurricane Duo was particularly fuel efficient which left me with a lot of fuel on the Aurora. Steeper deorbit angles from longer burns increase target accuracy and decrease heat load.

1z3mcfb.jpg
This is the sort of trajectory you want after a deorbit burn. This one been a rather steep deorbit I targeted middle of the Africa shaped continent that KSC is on. For shallow deorbit you can aim for a point further away from KSC - I've glided back to KSC from trajectory that indicated it was going to land in the coast to the west of the Africa shaped continent.

b5jvk2.jpg
Once your deorbit burn is completed orientate the Aurora so it enters the atmosphere at high AoA presenting it's belly. This massively increase the drag in the upper atmosphere lowering the peak heat load. The belly first orientation also spreads out a heat on a wider area. The AoA should be between 30 to 40 degrees.

1tquzr.jpg
Once peak heat load passes you can now lower the nose to start the glide phase. Note that during the transition between reentry and glide the Aurora can be quite twitchy if you perform any violent manoeuvres, I recommend switching fine control on before you pitch down by pressing the Caps Lock.

a9rebs.jpg
Gliding back to KSC with air brakes deployed.

2rhqmj8.jpg
Aurora shortly before touch down. Don't worry too much about running out of runway - with six air brakes and powerful braking force on the landing gears the Aurora can stop in a hurry. The main thing is try to land with minimum vertical speed by flaring just before touch down.

15nmyhv.jpg
And here it is, safe and sound back at KSC runway for that sweet 100% recovery rate.

The craft file for Aurora Winged Booster is intended for SPH. Note that it's partially fuelled as this is the test fuel load for horizontal take off to orbit and deorbit mission. For use as actual booster I recommend filling all bipropellant fuel tanks and then retract the landing gears before you save the subassembly.

Speaking of subassembly, here's a how to:

Spoiler

2ccrpcm.jpg
I setup my assembly by dividing the Aurora into two, a bottom section and a top section. The section you attach often has a pretty wonky orientation.

rknehh.jpg
Use the rotation and offset gizmo to correct the orientation.

2ef47t2.jpg
You can then attach the top half fine.

Of course just because I used the Aurora to create the Hurricane launch vehicle family doesn't mean they are limited to this, they are useful for all sorts of payloads that can support radial boosters such as this interplanetary ship:
352s0g2.jpg

Edited by Temstar

I don't use FMRS, but seems like a good option. However if you do use it to recover stages then it's by definition not stock :)

With stock I've seen three methods:

• SSTO, the whole rocket goes up on a single stage, release payload into orbit and then deorbit itself. Eg: SKRV
  • two stage, where the first stage separate quite early during flight after providing a huge amount or acceleration. The upper stage coast up to above the atmosphere, during this coast you switch to the first stage and land it on Kerbin. Once it lands you immediately switch back to the 2nd stage and it will just about reach AP for the circularisation burn
  • what I've done here

I'm planning to work on making the ET for Dual and Trio recoverable, shouldn't be very hard. Although I don't think it will make the economics much better as the empty ET is worth very little.

10 hours ago, Temstar said:

I don't use FMRS, but seems like a good option. However if you do use it to recover stages then it's by definition not stock :)

With stock I've seen three methods:

• SSTO, the whole rocket goes up on a single stage, release payload into orbit and then deorbit itself. Eg: SKRV
  • two stage, where the first stage separate quite early during flight after providing a huge amount or acceleration. The upper stage coast up to above the atmosphere, during this coast you switch to the first stage and land it on Kerbin. Once it lands you immediately switch back to the 2nd stage and it will just about reach AP for the circularisation burn
  • what I've done here

I'm planning to work on making the ET for Dual and Trio recoverable, shouldn't be very hard. Although I don't think it will make the economics much better as the empty ET is worth very little.

I wanted to comment, because I like the concept a lot (as I think I have already said elsewhere). But I didn't know what to add! Still, that post provides a very good excuse...

Isn't this a SSTO? I mean, the "Hurricane Solo" is a stage-and-a-half, but in all other designs you pull the ET with you all the way to orbit. That means you have the relatively low payload fraction of a SSTO... But I'm nitpicking, really.

And there would be another class too, those that use very fast-firing boosters that detach and reach the ground before the rest of the rocket goes past 22.5kms. Not that I have built one, but it should be doable, with Fleas and chutes. Not very practical, though, given how easy SSTO is in kerbin.

Rune. Oh, and the "Hurricane Dual" would fit better the naming scheme being "Hurricane Duo". :)

3 hours ago, Rune said:

Isn't this a SSTO? I mean, the "Hurricane Solo" is a stage-and-a-half, but in all other designs you pull the ET with you all the way to orbit. That means you have the relatively low payload fraction of a SSTO... But I'm nitpicking, really.

Yeah true enough, but I suppose generally when people think SSTO reusable rocket they expect the entire rocket to come back in one unit as well. That's certainly doable but if you want that kind of reusable SSTO to also have precision landing capability AND be able to scale the design up and down then it becomes really difficult.

Meanwhile I've been working on this:

Spoiler

10zais6.jpg

Credit goes to @Darth Lazarus to demonstrate to me that this method does indeed work. 

And yes @Rune it will be called "Hurricane Duo Block II", ditto the Block I.

Edited by Temstar

Hurricane Duo Block II HLLV is released!
10zais6.jpg

33p3p76.jpg

By utilising parachute recovery on the External Tank, this version of Hurricane Duo is now fully reusable! The recovery equipment decreases the payload slightly by 2 tons compared to the Block I design. The ascent is still the same as Block I.

ET recovery typically go like this:

Spoiler

2prxuth.jpg
Deorbit step is still the same as Block 1. Remember to switch on the fuel tank inside the service bay to feed fuel to the deorbit engines.

fem2va.jpg
Trajectory after deorbit burn.

fcmcmc.jpg
Peak heat during reentry. Note that airbrake deployment is required to keep the ET in correct orientation with heat shield down during reentry. The heat load during reentry has been extensively tested and max out at around 80% on airbrakes so it's safe to keep them open the whole way during the reentry.

idxcp4.jpg
ET passing overhead over KSC

oadxdg.jpg
Once it's safe to do so, deploy the parachutes. When the ET hits dense enough air for the parachutes to fully deploy the tank will automatically go into a near horizontal orientation. You may want to use the SAS to keep it exactly level if you have plenty of electricity left for your reaction wheels.

116tao6.jpg
Safe splashdown near the Island Airfield.

rm7el0.jpg
A different landing, this time on land with downward slope to prove the design.

Craft file is in the OP

I must say I wasn't convinced that recovering the ET would make that much difference in terms of cost/ton to orbit. Now looking at the numbers (the ET recovery amount is assuming you average 80% value recovered. With practice you should be able to get even higher than that) I can see it does make a difference.

I probably won't be making a Block II for Hurricane Trio though. The plan is now to proceed directly to a Block III for Hurricane Duo and Trio with winged ET so the ET itself can also make a precision landing back at KSC for that 100% recovery.

Edited by Temstar

Very nice! These are great reusable ships that deserve to be used in all career saves :) At least, they'll replace my ELVs in my career save for a long while. Unrelated question - what graphical mods do you use @Temstar? Those screenshots look amazing. I know Scatterer and EVE are being used, but what other mods are being used (if any)?

8 minutes ago, FCISuperGuy said:

Very nice! These are great reusable ships that deserve to be used in all career saves :) At least, they'll replace my ELVs in my career save for a long while. Unrelated question - what graphical mods do you use @Temstar? Those screenshots look amazing. I know Scatterer and EVE are being used, but what other mods are being used (if any)?

It's Scatterer and SVE on medium resolution texture. SVE is like EVE but fancier, it uses a lot more memory though and I notice KSP crash more often with it installed. But looks amazing.

Impressive achievement! I wanted a long time ago to attempt an Uragan, but the recovery of multiple self-propelled boosters was too complicated on KSP. If only they would have gone back independently to the center or if we could remote control them from the main launcher.

On 26/12/2015 at 10:48 AM, Temstar said:

I came upon the same idea as Energia II (Uragan):

Your LV family was called "Hurricane" because of the English meaning of the Russian word "Uragan"?

Not a bad idea, I usually spend too much time trying to make a BadS name for my rockets. I never really thought of that approach.

Anyways, a very nice craft, I haven't seen that idea in a long time. As the question goes amongst winged aircraft, would it work in FAR?drama-cat-o.gif

I really don't remember if gifs are allowed here, so please do not penalize me if they aren't. Just tell me, and I will remove it.

Edited by 073198681

1 hour ago, 073198681 said:

I really don't remember if gifs are allowed here, so please do not penalize me if they aren't. Just tell me, and I will remove it.

I believe they aren't actually, which is why you don't see them. But I could be wrong, a quick look at the rules should clear it up. ;)

Yeah I know about the Ariane 5 flyback booster thing. And yes It's named Hurricane because of the Uragan connection.
800px-LFBB_line_drawing_plain.svg.png

p46_baikal1.jpg

Interestingly both Ariane 5 LFBB and Baikal (flyback booster proposed for Angara) have nose mounted jet engines to give them powered flight capability. That's something I might have a look at. Putting the jet engine in the nose is quite clever and I know why they designed it like that - otherwise the empty booster will be extremely tail heavy and will naturally want to flip around in flight. I resolved this on my flyback by putting the biggest fuel tank in front.

Now if only Squad would give us hinges so I could make proper viable geometry wings.

Edited by Temstar

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

I believe they aren't actually, which is why you don't see them. But I could be wrong, a quick look at the rules should clear it up.

Thank you for telling me. I appreciate the information.

Also, thank you for writing in such a legible way, I really had a good time reading this.

27 minutes ago, Temstar said:

Now if only Squad would give us hinges so I could make proper viable geometry wings.

Well, as long as you are going to space, nobody is stopping you from undocking a stowed (i.e: strutted) wing, then re-docking it into a flying configuration with a firm double (or triple) dock. That could work.

Rune. Hang on, I'm having ideas... might tackle an Energia 2/Uragan replica next.

24 minutes ago, Rune said:

Well, as long as you are going to space, nobody is stopping you from undocking a stowed (i.e: strutted) wing, then re-docking it into a flying configuration with a firm double (or triple) dock. That could work.

That's crazy enough that it might just work.

You will need double dock for sure though, wouldn't want to have to try to fly back to KSC with lop sided wings. All the RCS stuff will probably need to be on the wing part too for simplicity.

mmh, you should be able to hide a mechanism like this within an interstage fairing (just have a gap between two fuel tanks - besides, it'll prevent the mechanism from making drag) you might only need an additionnal fixed flat piece just above the wing, so it stays level during rotation (for a baikal style wing). - just keep in mind that a docking event will reset the throttle to zero :), so you want to do that while you're in the ballistic phase :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Well, I encountered a problem.

The "Aurora Winged Booster Flight 1" Broke up on re-entry.

It kept tumbling from 65,000 M onwards and broke up at about 1,230 M/S at 28,500 Meters.

Any idea what happened?

3rWubYA.png

uAnBw98.png

Otherwise the lifter preformed incredibly well.

Could you describe a bit the parameters around this reentry? Most important numbers are your AoA, original orbit, deorbit burn delta-V and SAS setting.

I usually just set AoA to 40 degrees and put SAS on hold heading, turn on fine control and just make minor adjustment to AoA to keep it between 30-40 degree range and then wait till around 1300m/s before i transition to level fight.

Oh another thing, if you are reentering with fuel remaining, pump the fuel to the middle of the craft, say the adapter between 3.75m tank and mark 3 tank. Generally if you have fuel left it will be at the most rearward tank and that will upset the CoM too much. Since the craft is already tail heavy as there's nothing heavy in the nose to counter balance the extremely heavy engine it wants to flip in the air. Having the CoM a fair bit in front of CoL allows control surfaces to counteract this tendency to flip but if you upset the CoM by having fuel in the rear then you run the risk of aerodynamic forces overpowering the control surface's ability to keep it straight.

11 hours ago, Temstar said:

That's crazy enough that it might just work.

You will need double dock for sure though, wouldn't want to have to try to fly back to KSC with lop sided wings. All the RCS stuff will probably need to be on the wing part too for simplicity.

This has been done before. It is 100% possible. The problem you have is, and it renders the whole idea moot is that you can only ever recover one booster..

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

I don't know what FMRS is..

i guess he's talking about this addon that creates multiple save points when you drop a recoverable stage, so you can switch between saves to control each part :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/72605-105-flight-manager-for-reusable-stages-fmrs-v1001/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.