Steam Controller with non-steam version of the game?

I bought KSP directly from kerbalspaceprogram.com before it was available on steam. I also happen to own (and LOVE) a steam controller. I have been absolutely dying to have the controller supported directly in KSP. I think it would be absolutely wonderful but it really needs support for multiple modes.

So, am I out of luck? Is there any way to get the steam controller mode to work with the non-steam version of the game? Do I have to buy another copy of the game to get this feature?

EDIT: I guess I actually bought it after it was available on steam by a few months so I can't convert mine to steam. If I had realized it was available on steam back then I would have just bought it through steam.

Edited by minego

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Can't help you as far as official support but lots of programs can map keyboard keys to a gamepad.

Two that I know of and can recommend are:

JoyToKey

Xpadder

JoyToKey is free but isn't as robust or user friendly as Xpadder which costs money.

Hope that helps!

I can map the keys directly through steam even with the non steam version of the game. The problem is that it is one set of bindings for the whole game. The steam version let's you assign different bindings for different modes. This is very important for a game as complex as ksp.

For example the bindings used during flight don't make sense in the VAB.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You mean this screen?

vdEPAbt.png

The non steam versions don't have this?

Haven't used the Steam controller yet, how is it?

No. I mean the steam controller mapping in steam big picture mode. KSP was recently updated to expose the modes to steam and they provide very nice (from what I've read) default bindings.

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying KSP again since it was on sale on steam. It's only money right?

Anyway, now I have access to the version with the KSPSteamCtrl plugin, but it is not working :(

I found this bug report about it, and was able to get the plugin to load, but it won't actually select the right bindings. So close... http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/5996

21 hours ago, minego said:

I ended up buying KSP again since it was on sale on steam. It's only money right?

Ouch.  You know that you can link KSP to Steam, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.