[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

On 8-5-2016 at 7:46 PM, supersonicflyingdutchman said:

I think the problem is that the mod is only available on Curse. CKAN isn't compatible with Curse...

The easiest solution is probably to make it available on SpaceDock.

Info: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/FAQ

16 hours ago, damerell said:

It might be better to say that Curse intentionally blocks automated retrieval of mod data (eg by CKAN). A Curse-hosted mod can be in CKAN; but a human has to come and say it's updated every time.

Thanks. I'll also upload the mod to SpaceDock.

As soon as I get some more time.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

I wonder if anyone has previously reported this, but I think you should know that this mod makes awesome results when it meets FAR's aerodynamic stress breaking feature.

Thanks to you, I laughed more than I should.

EC capacity damage would be good for the command pod as well as external batteries. 200 EC capacity becomes 100 EC with 25% damage etc etc. That would of course effect your ability to transmit large amounts of science data before running out of power effectively killing your transmission and also limit the amount of recharge you get from your solar panels meaning you might not have enough capacity to keep your ship powered when your orbit takes you to the dark side of whatever you're orbiting. Also, having a KAS engineer being able to fix these things with the attachment tool would be cool. Imagine you get a damaged fuel tank and it slowly starts leaking fuel in space meaning you have (X) amount of time to EVA with an engineer and repair the leak before you lose all your fuel. The longer it takes you to EVA, the more fuel you'll lose. Same for batteries... You take some capacity damage in a collision meaning you won't have enough power for the dark side of your orbit so you have to EVA, repair the damage and still allow enough time for solar to recharge the lost capacity before you hit the dark side. Well, unless you have an RTG or something to produce EC away from Kerbol's light. (RTG could include damage which could = less EC production per sec) It would also make taking an engineer more important due to the risk. At the moment, apart from attaching things away from the VAB, the engineer doesn't do much other than repairing damaged wheels and damaged solar panels and even then only if you have KAS installed. Being able to repair damage would make the engineer as important a kerbal as the pilot is for flying or the scientist is for being able to operate a lab. 

14 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kerbal-inventory-system-kis/files KIS 1.2.10 released and KKS broken again... (cloning kerbals bug)

Thanks. Fixing right now.

I really hope I get time to solve the dependency issue sometime soon.

I am really sorry for not updating as much as I'd like. My new job is demanding a lot of attention and after spending eight hours per day coding, my mood for seeing some more code is quite absent. 

I will try to get some features done this weekend (no promises, though!)

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Hey guys.

I'm uploading a new version soon. (I still need to contact KIS)

This new version will get rid of the "tightly" coupled KIS support and replace it with "loosely" coupled KIS support. 
This new version will also make it possible to support every single other mod without them referencing anything and without KKS referencing their mods.

I am calling this library the "Messenger". And it helps me (and maybe others) by making communicating between mods a lot easier and faster to achieve.

Literally one line of code for KIS and literally two lines of code for KKS.

Example code: 

Spoiler

/*** KKS (KIS SUPPORT) CODE ***/
private void OnEnable()
{
    //Register "event handlers".
    Messenger.Events += OnEquip;
    Messenger.Events += OnUnEquip;
}

public void OnEquip(object[] args)
{
    Debug.Log("KKS_KIS_REPAIR: received OnEquip event: " + args[0]);
}

public void OnUnEquip(object[] args)
{
    Debug.Log("KKS_KIS_REPAIR: received OnUnEquip event: " + args[0]);
}

/*** KIS CODE ***/
public virtual void OnEquip(KIS_Item item)
{
    //Find the "Messenger" object and send a "PassThrough" command and the arguments to pass through.
    GameObject.Find("Messenger").SendMessage("PassThrough", new object[] { "OnEquip", item.prefabModule.name });
}

public virtual void OnUnEquip(KIS_Item item)
{
    GameObject.Find("Messenger").SendMessage("PassThrough", new object[] { "OnUnEquip", item.prefabModule.name });
}

In this example KKS registers "event handlers" to the Messenger object.

KIS looks for the Messenger GameObject (using Unity's built-in function "Find(gameobject_name)") and sends a "PassThrough" command and the arguments to pass through to it.

The Messenger object receives the PassThrough command and calls the appropriate handlers and passes through the arguments.

I might also upload the "Messenger" library separately, so other modders can use it. Right now it's just included in KKS.

This library doesn't solve the problem of communicating between part modules on the same vessel, because those can communicate through the vessel.

This library solves the problem of communicating between modules that aren't part of each other's vessel, like a Kerbal and the ship floating ten centimeters beside it.

In the case of KKS and KIS:

Before:

1. KKS only uses part modules.
  2. KIS is a part module on a Kerbal.
  3. Kerbal equips item but is unable to notify the vessel about this action. So the vessel has to keep checking if the Kerbal has equipped an item.
  4. KKS needs a reference to KIS, so it could check the inventory of the Kerbal periodically for any changes.
  5. KIS gets updated, KKS gets broken.
  6. I'm unhappy.

After:

1. KKS still only uses part modules.
  2. KIS is still just a part module on a Kerbal.
  3. Kerbal equips an item and notifies Messenger about this change.
  4. KKS gets notified by Messenger about this change.
  5. ???
  6. Profit!

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Hello,

Since the last update, I can't see 'Repair' button on right-click menu when I attempt to repair damaged module,(I'm currently using KIS, so I brought engineer with wrench eqipped.)

It worked as intended before, but not anymore. This seem to be happen regardless of the part type(structural, fuel tanks, science modules...)

Log seem to be fine. But if you need it, I'll post here.

Or is there a  change in repairing algorithms since the last update and am I misunderstanding the mechanisms? 

In that case, please enlighten me.

Thanks.

If you updated KIS that could be your problem. Curse shows KKS has not yet been updated for the new version of KIS (the "tm" behind "soon" is implied :wink: ). This is the reason I'm not updating KIS until KKS update comes out :)

It also seems if using the newest KIS transferring crew members makes everything go crazy. Went back to .9 so everything will work together in happy land again :)

EDIT: Well looks like some bad news. KIS .12 is the only version compatible with KSP 1.1.3, but the current version of KKS doesn't play well with KIS .12 (crew transfer results in game freaking out). Sadly no KKS in KSP 1.1.3 until it gets updated. Hopefully that before mentioned soon will be soon. Really like KKS! :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

• 2 weeks later...

I am terribly sorry for being so inactive.

I'm running six (actual work) projects at the same time now, which costs me around 60 hours per week. And getting sent to Scotland for offshore support for a week didn't contribute to getting any of those projects done.
Maybe I'll have to spend some time in finding someone to maintain KKS a bit.

I might get some time today or tomorrow to take a look at the mentioned bugs, update to 1.1.3, etc.

Thank you for sticking around.

P.S.: discussed the "Messenger" project with IgorZ and we didn't really come to an agreement of using it.
IgorZ mentioned working on his own implementation of "Messenger", but that might take a while.

So until then I'm removing KIS support from KKS.

I didn't make it this weekend, so I'll work on it tuesday. Promise!

Edited by EnzoMeertens

On 6/25/2016 at 2:45 AM, EnzoMeertens said:

I am terribly sorry for being so inactive.

I'm running six (actual work) projects at the same time now, which costs me around 60 hours per week. And getting sent to Scotland for offshore support for a week didn't contribute to getting any of those projects done.
Maybe I'll have to spend some time in finding someone to maintain KKS a bit.

I might get some time today or tomorrow to take a look at the mentioned bugs, update to 1.1.3, etc.

Thank you for sticking around.

P.S.: discussed the "Messenger" project with IgorZ and we didn't really come to an agreement of using it.
IgorZ mentioned working on his own implementation of "Messenger", but that might take a while.

So until then I'm removing KIS support from KKS.

I didn't make it this weekend, so I'll work on it tuesday. Promise!

Thanks so much for keeping up with the mod despite your work load.   For me KKS is really a necessary mod, maybe I'm just rough on my rockets and planes but I really like not having stuff exploding on me all the time when its gets banged around a little bit.  There are about 10 mods that I'm using that really should be a part of the stock game, and this is one of them.  

Version 0.3.5.  is up.

Seems right-clicking damaged modules doesn't show the damage and "repair" button.

I will try and fix this tomorrow.

Changelog:
Removed KIS support for now (takes too much time to keep up with version changes, IgorZ is working on his own implementation of my Messenger mod to ease this process).
Updated to KSP 1.1.2.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

2 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

Um, updated to an outdated version of KSP? :P

It's easier to update to 1.1.2, and then update that to 1.1.3 than it is to directly go to 1.1.3.  At least I think that's the reasoning.

On 3-7-2016 at 7:35 PM, b0ss said:

Idk if this has been mentioned here before or not, but has there been any talk of injury and EVA suit damage?

I think someone tried this by adding the mod to Kerbals and it kind of worked(?)

No proof of this, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.