[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

Kerbal Krash System

btn_donate_LG.gif

DESCRIPTION:

Kerbal Krash System rewrites collisions in Kerbal Space Program. KKS deforms your creations and reduces the efficiency of your crafts instead of just exploding on impact:

• Damage occur on impacting anything (oceans, buildings, parts, kerbals, ground, ...) at speeds exceeding the part's original crash tolerance limits:
    • Crash tolerances are scaled by (configurable) factors, this allows parts to be damaged instead of exploding on exceeding the original crash tolerance.
    • Parts impacting at speeds above the scaled crash tolerance explode as normal.
  • Damaged engines overheat more quickly,
  • Damaged containers leak, including leaking effects,
  • Damaged command pods will have malfunctioning crew hatches,
  • Science modules become inoperable when damaged and need both engineers as well as scientists to be fully restored,
  • Damaged parts can be repaired using Engineers:
    • Lower level engineers are able to repair once every 55 seconds (lowered by ten seconds per experience level),
    • Higher level engineers are able to repair more often (up to once every five seconds).
  • Future update: KIS support: use "attachment tools" like the screwdriver or wrench to repair, instead of bare hands (or whatever Kerbals have... 'kands'?).

KKS scales crash tolerances such that parts don't explode on impact, but rather get damaged when they collide.

This mod should be easy to incorporate into other mods, e.g. TAC Life Support can access the damage percentage of command pods to drain oxygen.

DOWNLOAD:

Download directly from GitHub

INSTALLATION: 

Simply unpack into your Kerbal Space Program folder.

KKS-mods: 

KKS-mods allow others to write their own plugins using Kerbal Krash System's damage events to influence gameplay.

KKS-mods tutorial!

PICTURES & VIDEOS:

SOURCE:

GitHub

TO-DO:

Priority:         Task:

4.1             Try and add vertices to larger (simple) parts, so dents can occur in a more defined way.
         4.4             Add textures based on non-deforming damages (scrapes, heat).
         8                Physicsless parts deformation.
         9                Update video to be more representative.

1 equals highest priority.

FAQ:

• My damage goes above 100%, why?
    • My idea about damage is equal to Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers: A high damage percentage only indicates you're about to get destroyed sooner.
  • Is this mod compatible with DangIt, CollisionFX and such?
    • It should be.
    • DangIt can be easily modified to incorporate damage into random failure.
  • Why don't you work on the highest priority first?
    • Because I don't want to get stuck and bored.
  • Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Probably.

Ialdabaoth - Module Manager creator

Sarbian - Module Manager maintainer

rbray89 - Helping a lot

LICENSE:

MIT

Note: This mod is a work in progress.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this mod right now. Requests and updates will be applied as fast as I can.

Edited by EnzoMeertens
KSP V1.10.0

53 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Interesting! But what with performance, especially on hight part count ships?

My code "only runs during collisions". (I've put this between quotation marks because this isn't strictly true. Some parts of my code are executed during a scene switch (to flight mode) and some parts (leaking) are executed on a fixed update interval.

The most performance-intensive parts of the code are executed when entering a collision.

I have yet to quantify the performance impact. I will try to get around to this ASAP.

47 minutes ago, monstah said:

Welcome around!

This looks very fun. Damaged parts look a bit weird, but just the fact you did make them look broken procedurally amazes me.

Seems like we can now do 'will it blend?' on KSP :D

Hey!

I've added coherent randomness to my to-do list. Coherent randomness will likely fix the pointiness/triangliness of the deformations, as the randomness of one voxel deformation will be based on the previous one.

45 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

This looks brilliant! I had attempted something like this a while back but never went into such depth!

Maybe you could incorporate elements of BahamutoD's damage effects mod, for visualization of resource (oxygen, fuel etc) leaks? 

Best of luck! :)

Thank you! :3

I will try to get around to this sometime soon! That mod looks great and it would be great to visualize leaks on deformed parts.

The main purpose of my mod is to add deformations, leaking and overheating were just added to demo the ease of using the damage of parts to influence gameplay.

I've gotten to work but it needs some work. First of all, the mod doesn't come prepackaged with ModuleManager (which it needs). Second, if you follow the installation instructions you get quite a mess (as you recommend extracting it into the Kerbal Space Program folder). The more user friendly way would be to package the mod thusly:

Folder: GameData (to indicate that it belongs where all the other mods are put) containing:

ModuleManager.dll and folder KerbalKrashSystem (to make the entire mod easily deletable)

Within KKS folder a separate folder for the plugin and the configs.

8 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

I've gotten to work but it needs some work. First of all, the mod doesn't come prepackaged with ModuleManager (which it needs). Second, if you follow the installation instructions you get quite a mess (as you recommend extracting it into the Kerbal Space Program folder). The more user friendly way would be to package the mod thusly:

Folder: GameData (to indicate that it belongs where all the other mods are put) containing:

ModuleManager.dll and folder KerbalKrashSystem (to make the entire mod easily deletable)

Within KKS folder a separate folder for the plugin and the configs.

I've pushed the new zip containing your suggestions to KerbalStuff.

Thank you! 

You know what, I was JUST thinking about this. All too often I've... ah... had a hard touchdown on an engine bell. I'd love for it not to EXPLODE immediately, but to go squish-crumple. This seems to do that.

My only wonder is how much memory it uses,... well, one way to find out!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.