Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

Actually yeah, the real problem would be achieving a stable orbit in one of the sub-SoIs, since orbiting one of the bodies in a binary system is a very difficult task. The way you could do this is really small SoIs...

Hm... it might be worth writing a plugin to create a binary system in KSP, just for kicks. :D

Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.

- Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)

- Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.

- Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.

- More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations (ex. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

- Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.

- Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)

- Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)

- Tiny moons: Same case as Jool

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)

- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

Gas planet 4: Who knows.

Beyond: Who knows x2

Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.

- Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)

- Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.

- Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.

- More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations (ex. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

- Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.

- Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)

- Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)

- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

I am glad to see you have these things swirling in your head at least. I am one of the folks who really want to see what other planets and moons you guys come up with.

Fonso sounds pretty cool Nova, I imagine the mountain peaks looking like islands above a sea of fog with clouds floating somewhere within them. Quite alien and awesome, would love to put a surface base on the edge of such a "sea". I imagine it and brave kerbonauts in the twilight of the outer Kerbol System, gazing into the fog below as sharp mountain peaks rise over the "surface" of a gaseous pool and a ringed gas giant is hanging above the horizon. Now that would tell you you've gone a long way from Kerbin.

Also glad to hear that the geyser prototypes worked. Hazardous surface environments are really something I would like to see, whether it is lava, geysers or scatter rocks with an actual collision mesh. Finding a safe landing site is too easy in KSP now. I'm eagerly and patiently looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the team try to implement that.

Edited by Pulstar

Awesome! I came to this thread to suggest just this, something with an atmosphere where the mountains go all the way into space!

Jool:

Please, based Nova:

Jupiter_moons_anim.gif

How about Dalo and Kaola; two gas giants orbiting each other, both with debris rings that intersect and flow into each other to make a figure eight. Bonus points for Saturn-style hexagonal polar storm funnels. That can be flown down. With baby kraken inside.

Just wanted to point out as I forgot to in the original posting, the names/concepts for Daphy and Fonso (Bop too, actually) were thought up by Winston (of KW)

A moon that is completely covered in ice with mountains that dominate the polar regions ,but crystal like structures made of ice around the equator.Also a large impact crater in the southwest hemisphere.

-Bloorsg: Saturn-Analog. It has 11/12 the size of Jool, and has four Moons. Ring system.

--Eeloo: Cryovolcanic moon, maybe they will get the unity atmospheric bug fixed and give it an atmosphere.

--Jumbowl: Titan-analog. A large moon about the size of Kerbin, but much lighter. Also, it has a heavy atmosphere, and yellow in color, just like the real Titan. You will be able to get propelium all over than rock!

--Kereze: A small rocky moon orbiting very close to the rings.

--Dool: A sort of mix between Eve and Laythe, but instead of purple, it's a dark brown-red color, like 0.17 Moho's color.

-Bluto: Replacement for Eeloo when it becomes a moon. It is dark blue in color, with lots of terrain variation, and 3 moons, one of them about half the size of Bluto.

--Derg: Charon analog. It is a rather bright red and light gray color, 1/2 the size of Bluto.

--Toousen: Tiny asteroid, dark gray color, very eliptical shape.

--Vougg: Vulcan analog. I'm not kidding, Pluto has a moon called Vulcan. But Bluto does not, It has a moon called Vougg. It has an easter egg on it that is a reference to star trek, such as a Delta Shied sculpted into the sand, or something.

-Kasadre: A Sedna analog with a highly eccentric, Inclined orbit, at closest approach, 5 times as far away from the Neptune analog's apoapsis.

-*- Frenemy: Nemisis analog, a brown dwarf star orbiting twice as far away from Kerbol as Kasadre's Apkerhelion, in a nearly eccentric orbit.

--Gurg: A tiny gas planet orbiting Frenemy.

*Surriurr: Bright star, large in size.

-Surriurr I (Doho): A planet with an atmosphere, and molten lava oceans. The oceans produce a light source, overheat parts, and otherwise behave like a more viscous water.

-Surriurr II (Sool): A huge red gas giant, otherwise known as a "Super Jool".

--Surriurr II.1 (Zilly): A small asteroid moon in a highly inclined orbit.

-Surriurr III (Herbadre): a highly eccentricly orbiting planet, ranging from 0.2 KerbAU to 1200 KerbAU. If possible, it would have multiple different terrains corresponding with it's distance from Surriurr.

I can't wait. I'm so exited! :D

I just checked on my thread a]for the first time in a few weeks. And i see nova comment. for some reason, thats an achievement in my book

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.