You Know You're A Nerd When:

cubinator

https://xkcd.com/759/

"Handy exam trick: when you know the answer but not the correct derivation, derive blindly forward from the givens and backward from the answer, and join the chains once the equations start looking similar. Sometimes the graders don't notice the seam."

I couldn't quite figure out a proof on a recent test, but you always know the answer to a proof so I got as close as I could and then wrote the final answer. Surprisingly, I got 100% on the test. I thought it was hilarious because it's this exact scenario.

When you pick coins off the ground because you can use them to brase things together with your sixty-inch Fresnel lens. Like other, sturdier coins.

When the first thought after one of your multimeters dies is, "Can I salvage the display and plug it into my Arduino?"

When your second thought is, "What's the pinout on this thing? :mad:"

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

If you can quote Vogon poetry. Bonus points if you can do it without being strangled by your own intestines.

YOU EVER BEEN STRANGLED BY YOUR OWN INTESTINES?!?!

I've memorized Handsome Jack's final speech in Borderlands 2, and I've translated it into Klingon using the infinite power of the internet.

ghobe', ghobe'. pagh jIH Hegh rur ghu'vam. wej ghorgh vaj SoQ. 'ej wej at the hands of bandit nojtaHghach! yuQvam laH toD jIH! tlham laH mojpu' SabHa' jIH! 'ej Hegh ruQ … puq KILLING PSYCHOPATH wasn't pa' ngaSwI' tu'lu' chugh vaj biHegh Qa'! maniac, bandit, 'ej Hero chugh vaj biHegh SuvwI' practically qeylIS! chay'-chay' neH ghe''or Daghaj SuvwI' HoH tlhIH'a'?! SoH toDSaH! roj nIbwI' SuvwI' yuQvam! ghobe' vI'Iprup Qob roQ, pagh latlh bandits, pandora-QI'tu' chugh vaj biHegh

1 minute ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

When you are at the USC engineering day.

Go up to meet one of the engineers just to ask if they play KSP. 

Find out they do.

Start taking to them

And have them stop telling you what thrust is because they just realized that you obviously already know.

:P

This, I wish I could do. Although after playing KSP a while, you can shut them up on a lot more than thrust...

List below.

Spoiler

Off the top of my head:

1. Thrust
  2. Mass
  3. Weight (and why it's NOT mass)
  4. Thrust/Weight ratio
  5. ISP
  6. Delta-V
  7. Momentum
  8. Diminishing returns from more fuel tanks
  9. Tchaikovsky's Rocket Equation, and why it's alternately worshipped and demonized by every aerospace engineer. (relates to 8)
  10. Theoretical max D-V from a certain engine type (relates to 8, 9)
  11. Why we stage (relates to 8, 9, 10)
  12. Benefits and downsides of ionic engines
  13. Oberth effect
  14. Gravitational slingshots
  15. Hohmann Transfers
  16. Bi-Elliptic Transfers (relates to 13)
  17. Mass fraction
  18. Trappist-1

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

*sudden urge to mashup but Tsiolkovsky wasn't a composer*

New meme! "Tchaikovsky but every <insert repetitive component> is replaced with a..." umm... How can you represent Tsiolkovsky musically? :huh:

When you give answers relating to LST in your economics class.

When people casually stating the second law of thermodynamics unnerves you. Deeply.

4 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

" umm... How can you represent Tsiolkovsky musically? :huh:

Exactly! There doesn't seem to be a direct way. Maybe Tsiolkovsky had a favorite song or composer? That would be so indirect that nobody would get the joke though...Maybe "diminishing returns" the longer the song gets? Whatever that means...

Edited by cubinator

You plan on bringing a pie into work on Pi day... :D

On 3/12/2017 at 8:15 PM, greenTurtle1134 said:

Tchaikovsky's Rocket Equation...

[Heavily edited by adsii1970 for relevant content I want to comment on]

Would that be the one on b minor (bang) or B Major (boom)? :D

I managed to make my entire AP physics class alternately applaud and groan (mostly the latter) while demostrating a problem in which I randomly took the time-integral in order to solve the problem.

On the same day, I completely confused my english teacher when I drew 243 Ida and its moon Dactyl on a flash card about metrical feet.