You Know You're A Nerd When:

cubinator

On 16.1.2016 at 2:24 AM, CliftonM said:

if (alwatsHasXamerinStudioOpen) { //Check to see if they have Xamerin studio open

nerd = true; //Define the person as a nerd

} else if (alwaysHasXcodeOpen) {

} else if (alwaysHasMonoDevelopOpen) {

} else if (alwaysHasPythonOpen) {

}
else {

nerd = false

}
if (nerd) {

Console.WriteLine("You are a nerd.");  //Make them feel happy

}
else {

Console.WriteLine("You are a sad non-nerd that actually has a life.");  //Insult them

}

Way too much code.

string[] nerdMsg = { "You are a sad non-nerd that actually has a life.", "You are a nerd." };
bool nerd = alwaysHasXamerinStudioOpen || alwaysHasXcodeOpen || alwaysHasMonoDevelopOpen || alwaysHasPythonOpen;
Console.WriteLine( nerdMsg[ Convert.ToInt32( nerd ) ] );

Much better. :D

13 minutes ago, nuclearping said:

Way too much code.

string[] nerdMsg = { "You are a sad non-nerd that actually has a life.", "You are a nerd." };
bool nerd = alwaysHasXamerinStudioOpen || alwaysHasXcodeOpen || alwaysHasMonoDevelopOpen || alwaysHasPythonOpen;
Console.WriteLine( nerdMsg[ Convert.ToInt32( nerd ) ] );

Much better. :D

Yeah, but I wanted to make it look more nerdy.

You know you're a nerd when you're looking at the Sun (through some thin clouds so you can see the disk well without burning out your eyes) then you suddenly realize: That thing is eight light-minutes away and I can see it like that, and your mind is blown. I get those moments often, where things that we normally take for granted are suddenly really cool for a few minutes.

I have a high end computer that rarely lags, yet I am still saving up to build a new one that's twice as powerful.

I'm not even out of high school yet I can calculate Hoffman transfers and orbit sync maneuvers by hand.

I have a shelf in my room dedicated to Rubik's cubes, a shelf dedicated to space ship models, and a shelf dedicated to Lego space ships.

I can solve a Rubik's cube while holding my breath.  I have also made a wooden 1x1x1 and a 1x1x2.  It takes me 20 minutes to solve a 7x7x7 and I have developed an equation used to estimate how long it would take for me to solve a Rubik's cube of any size.

Edited by mikeman7918

On 1/27/2016 at 11:32 AM, mikeman7918 said:

[...]

I have a shelf in my room dedicated to Rubik's cubes, a shelf dedicated to space ship models, and a shelf dedicated to Lego space ships.

[...]

I'll one-up that: I have a closet full of LEGO bricks.  I have a solved rubiks cube too, but I solved it by taking it apart and putting back together right.

22 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I have a solved rubiks cube too, but I solved it by taking it apart and putting back together right.

THANK YOU for not peeling the stickers! :D :D :D It always hurts to hear people say they peel stickers. And I might be able to one-up your LEGO closet with my shelves of boxes of bricks in the basement, and I also have some other stuff around the house like the Space Shuttle set, the Sea Cow, and a bunch of Star Wars sets including the giant Millennium Falcon. I don't know how big your closet is, so I can't tell for sure. If you have a *really* big closet, you might beat me. 

13 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I'll one-up that: I have a closet full of LEGO bricks.  I have a solved rubiks cube too, but I solved it by taking it apart and putting back together right.

That shelf is just my favorite space ship sets (including the new TARDIS, a space shuttle, and a few Star Wars things).  I also have some other sets scattered around my room and all the stuff that I don't still have on display is disassembled in a huge bin, and some of it is reassembled into more space ships.

So to continue the thread, you know you are a nerd when you have had a drivers license for over 2 years yet you have been on only one date.  If a girl ever corrects me about something related to space travel, quotes 2001: a Space Odyssy, or knows a lot about computers then I will probobaly marry them on the spot.

5 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

You know you're a nerd when you're reading Moden Engineering for Design of Liquid-Propellent Rocket Engines for fun.

I might have to read that.

On a related note, you know you are a nerd when you are reading the books written by string theorist Brian Greene just for fun.

You know you are a nerd when you realize that much of the "science" in TV shows and movies is just a nonsensical jumble of scientific jargon to make physics defying stuff seem legit.  (The Flash has a ton of this)

You know you are a nerd when you have notebooks full of rocket concept drawings, drawings of planets, drawings of rocket launches, drawings of planetary bases,  from when you were in elementary school.

You know you are a nerd when you want to make an animation so you spend months mastering animation only to forget what you wanted to animate in the first place.

You know you are a nerd when you feel that unrealistic space games are insulting your inteligence.

You know you are a nerd when you can name more physicists then you can actors/actresses.

9 minutes ago, mikeman7918 said:

You know you are a nerd when you have notebooks full of rocket concept drawings, drawings of planets, drawings of rocket launches, drawings of planetary bases,  from when you were in elementary school.

That's me, only from now, when I was in kindergarten, it was full of Spider-man and Thomas the tank engine :)

You know you're a nerd when you can't take any space movie seriously that doesn't have extremely good science behind it...and still notice the issues in the most accurate ones. (Interstellar, they could see a full Earth while leaving for Mars. The Martian, the Hab canvas flapped around in a storm when it should be highly inflated with 50 times pressure.)

You know you're a nerd when you know where all the planets are, even when you can't see them.

11 hours ago, CelticCossack51 said:

...When you call these things handless segways and not 'hoverboards.'

Well, it's definitely not a hoverboard, because the only 'hovering' it does is from atoms repelling each other...I'm going to start calling them handless segways too!

You know you are nerd when most of your friends know at least two programming languages.

17 hours ago, cubinator said:

You know you're a nerd when you can't take any space movie seriously that doesn't have extremely good science behind it...and still notice the issues in the most accurate ones. (Interstellar, they could see a full Earth while leaving for Mars. The Martian, the Hab canvas flapped around in a storm when it should be highly inflated with 50 times pressure.)

Not to mention the way Gravity portrays orbital rendezvous.  I was very happy when Ender's Game correctly discribed gravity assists though.

You know you are a nerd when at the back of your mind you regularly consider some of the crazy unlikely things that could happen right now according to quantum mechanics.  I could quantum tunnel to the surface of the Moon at any second, maybe the chair I am sitting on will turn into $3 bills, or maybe all unstable isotopes in the world will suddenly decay causing the Earth to explode.

42 minutes ago, mikeman7918 said:

You know you are a nerd when at the back of your mind you regularly consider some of the crazy unlikely things that could happen right now according to quantum mechanics.  I could quantum tunnel to the surface of the Moon at any second, maybe the chair I am sitting on will turn into $3 bills, or maybe all unstable isotopes in the world will suddenly decay causing the Earth to explode.

Of course the chance of any one of these things actually happening is far, far less than that of someone solving a Rubik's cube by randomly turning the sides. (I remember calculating that that would take something like 100 trillion years at 1 turn per second, but I don't remember the exact number.)

You know you're a nerd when you calculate that sort of thing.

7 hours ago, cubinator said:

Of course the chance of any one of these things actually happening is far, far less than that of someone solving a Rubik's cube by randomly turning the sides. (I remember calculating that that would take something like 100 trillion years at 1 turn per second, but I don't remember the exact number.)

You know you're a nerd when you calculate that sort of thing.

I have calculated such things to.  I once calculated the probobility of getting over 70% on a test just by guessing, which is much, much harder then calculating the probobility of getting 100% because you have to account for every single combination of answers that gives you 70% or higher.

You know you are a nerd when you are trying to one-up another forum user in nerdiness.