"Myth: the Fallen Lords"

Dispatcher

Those of you who are familiar with Bungie's Halo may not realize that it was once called "Myth on steroids" by cofounder Jason Jones.  Halo's engine was actually based on the Myth engine.

Watch these guys use the Myth II engine to play the first of the trilogy, "Myth ...".  Too bad they didn't video the Tutorial.  :sealed:

You can play Myth on the latest Windows, Mac and Linux computers (and as it turns out, tablets).  Check it out!

Edited by Dispatcher
On tablets too.

This time the brothers ignore each other's advice even more than usual.  5 soldiers take on hordes of enemies in this 46 minute stint of "The Five Champions".  Grab some popcorn or fish and chips and watch the bottles fly:

On 16/01/2016 at 3:09 AM, Dispatcher said:

Those of you who are familiar with Bungie's Halo may not realize that it was once called "Myth on steroids" by cofounder Jason Jones.  Halo's engine was actually based on the Myth engine.

Halo has had a weird development trajectory. Like you said, it first was supposed to be a third person game. It was previewed to journalists as such and even announced by none other than Steve Jobs. In (I think) '99, I bought a magazine that detailed much of the Halo we know and love. It was going to be the most amazing PC game ever. The same issue also featured an article about Homeworld. Soon after, Microsoft entered the story, buying Bungie and postponing the launch. Halo was no longer a PC game, but it was to be an Xbox game. However, due to various doubts and concerns, it was not intended as a launch game. It ended up being the big smash hit in the early years of the Xbox, arguably helping the system take off the way it did. In a final twist, the PC game than went the Xbox route got ported back to PC and Mac.

This time the textures and denizens of Myth are rendered in High Definition; everything looks much better!  Turns out that the guy rescued in the previous video is more than capable of taking care of himself.  "Out of the Barrier".

Any sprite animators or artists watch these videos?  Comment on the You Tube page about your impressions about the high res textures; especially if you've done the same kind of art.  I'll bet Narcogen wouldn't mind.  As for 3D models, those don't appear in the Myth franchise until number 3.  This episode is Forest Heart:

Edited by Dispatcher

• 2 weeks later...

This video is a departure from the previous ones.  This "Myth:  the Fallen Lords" level, played using the Myth 2 engine, starts out with a single dwarf.  Only later do other dwarves join in.  As such, I wanted to show single player game play rather than cooperative play.  So this time I'm putting in a video of a level played by a different You Tuber than the ones above.  This approach allows for a different style of gameplay to be seen and perhaps a little variety in presentation.  This level follows the one above in gameplay sequence, even though the "episode" numbers make it seem that a level was skipped.  I think this well makes the point that Myth is fun as a single player game; not just for online play.

"Sons of Myrgard":

A secret level.  "A Long Awaited Party".  I had forgotten how cool Myth gameplay sounded.  The ambient sounds add atmosphere and as you can hear, the dwarves don't take direction too well.  In this level, we let Jeoku silently show us how important using formations is in this game of tactics and strategy.

Strong Giants, Lightning Fetch, jawless Myrmidons, hordes of all of these and a river of blood (OK, its really a canal with nearby fields, but that makes it even more sinister).

Can two brothers disagree more on strategy?  Its "River of Blood"!

Lead Alric to a World Knot, pop enemies like popcorn, teleport reinforcements to back you up as you make your way into "Pools of Iron", as in pools of non-anemic blood!

Its just another day of unit mismanagement.

Casualties!

Edited by Dispatcher

This time we watch SevronLP in "The Last Battle", or is it?  (Episode sequence numbers vary between You Tube hosts showcased in this thread.)

Edited by Dispatcher
Remark on episode numbers between play throughs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.