[Request] Robotic KIS part?

MaxPeck

I was planning a munbase, and what I've been doing is shooting a rocket full of supplies and equipment, and then a rocket with a rover, and then kerbals.  The first rocket lands, drop supplies via cargo boxes, which the rover then pre-positions until I can get some Engineers on the surface to unpack them and start building the base.  That got me to thinking - it sure would be nice if the rover could manipulate KIS inventories and do some of the setup before my Kerbals arrive.  I'm positive that such a thing is well beyond my skill level when it comes to coding, but I thought I'd just float the idea and see if someone wants to run with it.  Basically, what I'm thinking is some kind of claw arm, like the one Angel came up with for Buffalo, but that is able to access KIS inventories and do attachments.  You could attach it to a rover (or a space tug) and use it to position things remotely.  Maybe even make it possible for the robotic arm to lift things that Kerbals can't, like set the max weight to 5 instead of 1 ton.  You could even use it to make Kerbal forklifts and manipulators to help with large projects.  It wouldn't eliminate the need for engineers, but I think would be a nice supplement to them.

Any thoughts/takers?

I'm familiar with IR... I'm not looking to physically manipulate things, I can do that pretty well already.  I'm envisioning more something that can take a part out of a KIS container and attach it to another part.  Like a robotic part with Kerbal engineer skills.  Think of it as a probe core that does engineer stuff instead of pilot stuff.

Had I only the coding skills, I'd create it as a part that can be attached to a rover or space tug, that when you got close enough to a KIS container, could access it's inventory and pull parts out and attach them like an engineer would.  It would use EC, so you'd need to supply batteries and a way to recharge it.  You could even create multiple versions of it and graduate them on the tech tree, adding capability as you go (IE level 1 can do wrench-like attachments, level 2 can do screwdriver-like attachments, level 3 can manipulate parts >1T, and so forth.  It wouldn't eliminate the need for engineers, but it would be handy if we could do some robotic manipulation prior to Kerbals arriving.

Edited by JJE64
Spellcheck keeps changing Kerbal to herbal.

For my little use i have modified the TowelHolder from Pro Props and added those lines, when equiped 1 kerbal can move 4T

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleKISPickup
    allowPartAttach = true
    allowStaticAttach = true
    allowPartStack = false
    maxDistance = 4
    grabMaxMass = 4
    dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
    attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart
    detachPartSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachPart
    attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic
    detachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachStatic
}

If you like Wiki have better description

That's a good start, but I'd also like to be able to attach that part to a probe core and have it function like an engineer... is that even possible?  I looked at the KIS source on github and I couldn't really make sense of what exactly gives a kerbal the ability to manipulate things...

17 hours ago, JJE64 said:

That's a good start, but I'd also like to be able to attach that part to a probe core and have it function like an engineer... is that even possible?  I looked at the KIS source on github and I couldn't really make sense of what exactly gives a kerbal the ability to manipulate things...

I have try to add the module to kas magnet but with no success, you can move the part but not attach

OK try this

KIS_Magnet.cfg

@PART[KAS_Hook_Magnet]{

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleKISPickup
    allowPartAttach = false
    allowStaticAttach = false
    allowPartStack = false
    maxDistance = 4
    grabMaxMass = 50
    dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
}
}

You need a engineer for attack-deattack parts but with the magnet in range you can move 50T parts, the magnet can pickup parts from containers too

auoLADM.jpg

Edited by Badsector

Still requires a Kerbal to be present though... so not really a robotic engineer.  It's a start though.

I've looked in KIS's source code, but can't seem to find what makes an engineer able to manipulate parts.  I don't want to double post this into Kospy's KIS thread, I keep hoping maybe he'll stick his head in here and lend some guidance.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.