Wrecked Burans

NeoMorph

As exhibition pieces, i presume? Well, apparently there is no demand for those poor birds :( Maybe because there is no history attached, no big tragedy like Challenger disaster that would make visitors to flock around restored Buran?

13 hours ago, Scotius said:

As exhibition pieces, i presume? Well, apparently there is no demand for those poor birds :( Maybe because there is no history attached, no big tragedy like Challenger disaster that would make visitors to flock around restored Buran?

I don't see why not. There are dozens of air and space museums around the World with much more obscure pieces of aerospace history than this.

Where I live, there's a space museum with a mockup of Mir used for ground-training and couple of Soyuz DMs. There's also an air museum where people pay to see a Concorde and a Super Guppy. These places would both love to have a Buran.

The problem is actually buying it and transporting it. The buying part is the hardest, because after the fall of the Soviet Union, the actual ownership of the assets is probably a bit obscure. There are several entities that can claim ownership, including Roskosmos, the Russian Air Force, the Republic of Kazakhstan, etc... and within those entities, I don't think anybody wants to be the person who sold off an item of national pride like the a Buran orbiter.

@Nibb31 @Scotius @Emperor of the Titan Squid From what I understand, the Vehicle Assembly and Fuelling bunker they're in is not a part of the Russia-rented Baikonur anymore. Furthermore, it's owned by a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a shell company of Roscosmos; this makes them almost impossible to recover legally. Similarly, the Kazakh government sold most of the "scrap" from the flown Buran and a flight-ready Energia to China back when the hangar collapsed.

21 hours ago, Scotius said:

Easy. Scrape bird excrements of one article, put it on ramp, put in some idiot who wants to be famous and hit ignition. After an epic catastrophe, price of any remaining articles will skyrocket.

57 minutes ago, radonek said:

Easy. Scrape bird excrements of one article, put it on ramp, put in some idiot who wants to be famous and hit ignition. After an epic catastrophe, price of any remaining articles will skyrocket.

I'm afraid the thrust of the ODU is quite unremarkable. What do you think it is, a capitalist-imperialist Shuttle?

14 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

The problem is actually buying it and transporting it. The buying part is the hardest, because after the fall of the Soviet Union, the actual ownership of the assets is probably a bit obscure. There are several entities that can claim ownership, including Roskosmos, the Russian Air Force, the Republic of Kazakhstan, etc... and within those entities, I don't think anybody wants to be the person who sold off an item of national pride like the a Buran orbiter.

Legal issues like this tend to become an nightmare, friend of mine had an tractor standing on his lawn as the company who used it to dig for him went bankrupt and the creditors could not agree. The tractor was probably the only thing of value. He got some help and moved it off the lawn and out in the road and it was removed or stolen. 
Buran is fare worse as its policy in it, Yes its plenty of museums who would pay well for it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.