Basic KSP Mods for PS4

Seeing as PS4 KSP is coming out shortly, there's a big problem that faces those who will buy KSP for PS4. Basic info mods. SQUAD forgoes even the most basic info mods. Who needs to do silly things like 'know your deltaV' and 'coordinate simultaneous missions' anyway? Mod rants aside, I think the PS store should at least have the basic info mods (like KER and KAC) available for download as DLC, for free of course.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Edited by Sanic

I wonder - we don't have mods that are platform specific. Linux, mac, windows all use the same mod. Why couldn't a console user download the same mod, put on a flash drive, and install it like pc users do?

8 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Or just make them stock for everyone.

SQUAD would never do such a thing.

maybe someday perhaps 

10 minutes ago, Otis said:

Why couldn't a console user download the same mod, put on a flash drive, and install it like pc users do?

I don't think EVERY single compatible mod from computer could get ported, since there are so many. 

Edited by Sanic

9 minutes ago, Sanic said:

I don't think EVERY single compatible mod from computer could get ported, since there are so many. 

Well, that's what I'm asking. We don't have to adapt or "port" a mod between os's. Unity handles that, kinda like JRE. Unless, the console versions are using different Unity resources.

2 hours ago, Otis said:

I wonder - we don't have mods that are platform specific. Linux, mac, windows all use the same mod. Why couldn't a console user download the same mod, put on a flash drive, and install it like pc users do?

The problem with that is that I don't think on consoles you have access to the actual game files (i.e. the Game Data folder where mods need to be put). Admittedly I don't have a PS4 so I'm not certain that I can't be done. But on earlier generations of consoles that type of mucking with the files was unavailable. 

42 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

The problem with that is that I don't think on consoles you have access to the actual game files (i.e. the Game Data folder where mods need to be put). Admittedly I don't have a PS4 so I'm not certain that I can't be done. But on earlier generations of consoles that type of mucking with the files was unavailable. 

The PS4 supports a lot more external devices (like USB for saving local files) than the previous versions. File muckery may be possible with the PS4, but in not too sure. 

8 hours ago, AbacusWizard said:

If you're willing to use a third-party peripheral device, there's always this...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/116473-deltavee-program-for-graphing-calculator/

Yes, you can use that, but I don't want to be forced to keep on a PS4 and a computer at the same time.

On 21.1.2016 at 10:25 PM, Otis said:

Problem with KSP mods outside of pure part mods is that they use DLL files. 
This is an safety risk who make it very unlikely they would be accepted on consoles.
DLL could be build to do pretty much anything, its not like scripting in skyrim who only work within the game.   

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the OP on the topic. Yet I don't think that it would be easy to get modded content into the PS4 certified game. Actually I'm already anxious to play a vanilla game on PS4. I wonder if its just a matter of being easier with KAS and the information provided by Mechjeb or KER. I will also miss Roverdude's OKS or the Waypoint Manager :) Kerbal Alarm clock ... Tweakscale! *sigh* Or maybe it will be a game that is a little dull as the great mods in KSP add a lot to the game. We will see...

On 1/21/2016 at 6:58 PM, Sanic said:

Seeing as PS4 KSP is coming out shortly, there's a big problem that faces those who will buy KSP for PS4. Basic info mods. SQUAD forgoes even the most basic info mods. Who needs to do silly things like 'know your deltaV' and 'coordinate simultaneous missions' anyway? Mod rants aside, I think the PS store should at least have the basic info mods (like KER and KAC) available for download as DLC, for free of course.

What do you guys think about this idea?

There are a few things that people tend to forget when we talk about mods. Issues aside (I'll get to those later), console content needs to be certified and tested so its good enough to run on the console. Even though consoles nowadays are nothing but specialized PCs, they are way more closed than PCs, which is why you don't see many stuff being ported to consoles, but stuff being made for consoles then being ported to PCs.

Now, the biggest issue with that is the fact that mods, especially in KSP, tend to make certain aspects of the game unstable. So, in order for those mods to be implemented or put as add-ons for KSP, they have to be tested and certified as well. Certification costs money. As a matter of fact, certification costs A LOT of money. And if you fail it, you have to start over. Who will pay for these certifications? SQUAD? The mod maker?

There's also the security issue. Some mods modify the main code of the game and how it functions (FAR, Deadly Reenty, etc.), while some change it enough to alter game mechanics. This opens the window for debugging and arbitrary code execution, which is a big no no for console makers.

There's also the licensing problem. Console manufacturers hate free software and open source licenses. Since console development is always NDA, it's not compatible with these licenses, as they don't want the source code going anywhere else, which also represents a security issue.

So, while the idea of mods in the console version of KSP makes sense based on how the pc game is made, it's very unlikely that you'll see mods for the game.

While I understand Squad has been very busy with the Unity 5 port - which is great news - I have the feeling they came to rely on mods too much.

So, I kind of like the idea of KSP remaining unmodded in consoles, because that should force Squad to realize certain functionalities provided by mods (KAC, RCS Build Aid, Porkchop plots, at least a mini KER and maybe Hyperedit to test stuff in other planets while still designing it) should be stock, because you can't handle several simultaneous interplanetary missions without them. As things stand right now, stock KSP can only be enjoyed within the Kerbin system, but it has been that way for years

Dont you forget to ask the modders if they would want to see their stuff on a console?

Also there is a quite simple solution: If you want mods, buy a loveing PC! People want consoles because they dont want to do anything more complex than button mashing, so they dont have the right to complain about not having mods...

2 hours ago, juanml82 said:

...... certain functionalities provided by mods (KAC, RCS Build Aid, Porkchop plots, at least a mini KER and maybe Hyperedit to test stuff in other planets while still designing it) should be stock, because you can't handle several simultaneous interplanetary missions without them.

Speak for yourself, check out my mission report thread HERE (done in 1.0.4) .... Look on the second page and you'll see that you can accomplish quite a bit with a vanilla install

Sony have talked about mod support for quite a while via some built in platform (maybe through their store?)

This was meant to be part of being able to load mods onto FFXIV (and later FO4)

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything more about mod support (for FFXIV) since... early last year, and again with FO4 modding got a mention (Bethesda has said it's happening) but again still nothing from Sony about their addon/modding platform for PSN

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

By the eye contracting ... A piece of paper, a pen and some understanding of orbital mechanics

And do you think the requirement to do such a thing  to go to another planets will be major selling point of the game?

53 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Sony have talked about mod support for quite a while via some built in platform (maybe through their store?)

This was meant to be part of being able to load mods onto FFXIV (and later FO4)

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything more about mod support (for FFXIV) since... early last year, and again with FO4 modding got a mention (Bethesda has said it's happening) but again still nothing from Sony about their addon/modding platform for PSN

Security issues. Always those. And, most mods made by other people are using licenses that  proprietary companies hate, such as open source.

12 minutes ago, BloodDusk said:

Security issues. Always those. And, most mods made by other people are using licenses that  proprietary companies hate, such as open source.

Steam already manages mods via the Steam Workshop, there's nothing stopping Sony from putting similar functionality into PSN (or MS into XBL).  Bethesda is also doing it (officially) via Bethesda.net for FO4, instead of using the SW like they did for Skyrim.

Until there is official platform information for these addon services (B.n/XBL/PSN) there is no way of knowing what content will be allowed, or what the restrictions will be.

It's a fair bet Bethesda.net stuff will have to be .ESP's made with the GECK, maybe there be some similar SDK you'll have to use to make XBL/PSN packages.

1 hour ago, NoMrBond said:

Steam already manages mods via the Steam Workshop, there's nothing stopping Sony from putting similar functionality into PSN (or MS into XBL).  Bethesda is also doing it (officially) via Bethesda.net for FO4, instead of using the SW like they did for Skyrim.

Until there is official platform information for these addon services (B.n/XBL/PSN) there is no way of knowing what content will be allowed, or what the restrictions will be.

It's a fair bet Bethesda.net stuff will have to be .ESP's made with the GECK, maybe there be some similar SDK you'll have to use to make XBL/PSN packages.

There is a PS4 SDK avaliable on GitHub already. However, all you have to do is look at the limitations it has to see it's nothing more than a broken kid's toy. Approval boils down to certification, which costs a ton of money to do and you have to pay each time you do it. 

38 minutes ago, BloodDusk said:

certification, which costs a ton of money to do and you have to pay each time you do it. 

An open source PS4 SDK tells us how the actual PSN addon service is going to work how?

A mod isn't going to have game level certification requirements and approval associated costs, that's unrealistic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.