[1.3] WalkAbout v1.7.1 (17-07-2017)

Antipodes

The WalkAbout mod allows you to take an available kerbal from the Astronaut Complex and have him/her placed outside any door at the KSC (see Placement, see note 6).
It also allows you to move your kerbal around without having to hold down the W-A-S-D keys (see Perpetual Motion below).

Download from SpaceDock

Placement:

You can activate WalkAbout from the Space Centre scene by pressing ctrl-W. The WalkAbout seclections screen will appear.

rNElWa3.png

1 - List of available kerbals.

• any kerbal currently not assigned to a craft or on EVA will appear in this list.  Simply click on a kerbal to select that one.

2 - Facilities

•  a list of the KSC facilities with locations for placing kerbals.  Click on one of these to restrict the list of Locations (see below) to only those locations associated with the facility.

3 - Locations

• - list of all locations where a kerbal may be placed. Or, if a facility has been selected, a list of all locations associated with that facility.  See notes 1, 2, 3 and 4.

4 - Action Button

• - when the button text is green, click it to send your kerbal on WalkAbout.

5 - Top 5 Button

• - Restricts the locations shown to only the top 5 most commonly selected locations.  See notes 3, 4 and 5.

For players who use the Kerbal Inventory System mod:

LthL6Ll.png

WJ2nZpb.png

6 - Toggle Inventory Button (only appears if the Kerbal Inventory System mod is installed)

• - turns the inventory display on or off

7 - Kerbal's Inventory

• - lists all items in the selected kerbal's inventory.

8 - Available Items

• - list all items that can be added to the kerbal's inventory.
Spoiler

Note 1
Locations are recorded in the .loc files.  Each location corresponds to a position just outside of one of the doors found on the outside of the buildings of the KSC.  
I have tried to catalogue every door available at each of the 3 levels of upgrade for all of the buildings, but as you may imagine, it would be easy for me to miss one (or two (or three (...)))).  If you notice any doors or exits that I have missed, please let me know on the forum page.

Note 2:
Since the individual buildings in KSP are not named, I tried to come up with a generic naming convention for the buildings and the locations.  Most location names are formatted as follows ff_bldg[_subsection]_[d]ls  where

• ff is an abbreviation of the facility name,
  • bldg is a name for the building
  • subsection may be a wing or a separate building name (eg ..._QuonsetF_...)
  • d is the direction the side of the building faces (N, S, E, W)
  • l is the floor #
  • s is the sequence letter for the door (A, B, C...).

So R+D_WindTunnel_BldgC_N1B is 2nd door on the first floor of the north side of Building C of the Wind Tunnel complex of the R&D facility.

Note 3:
When the selection screen first appears, all locations for all facilities are shown.  Use the Facilities selector and/or the Top 5 button to limit the number of locations shown.

Note 4:
Locations are shown in alphabetical order.  However, each time a location is used, it is moved up the list thereby keeping the most often used locations at the top of list.  

Note 5:
The Top 5 button is not limited to 5 entries.  The number of locations selected by this button can be set by altering the value for TopFew in the settings.cfg file.

Note 6:
Placing kerbals in locations where a portion of the building is above them has proven problematic. As a result locations for doors on all but the bottom and top levels of most stairwells have been omitted. This is also why kerbals are placed beyond any projecting awnings and eaves.

Perpetual Motion:

When a kerbal is on EVA, it is now possible to walk/swim or run without having to hold down the movement keys. To do this enter Perpetual Motion mode by pressing the activation key (single quote ['] - see note 1). Your kerbal should now start walking forward (see note 2).

•     The movement keys (W-A-S-D) will now change your kerbal's direction of movement. See note 2.
  •     The run key (left-shift) will act as a toggle, switching your kerbal's movement between walking and running.
  •     Time acceleration is limited to physics time-warp only (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x).
  •     Pressing the activation key again will take you out of Perpetual Motion mode.
Spoiler

Note 1:
    The activation key is configurable in the settings.cfg file.

Note 2:
    In Perpetual Motion mode the kerbal always moves forward (in the direction it is facing).

Note 3
    Direction change is relative to the camera. So pressing W turns the kerbal to same direction as camera is facing.

Spoiler

v1.7.1
  Fixed bug that crashed v1.7 while trying to find KIS modules.

v1.7

Version 1.7 incorporates a new method for storing locations. This method is incompatible with the previous method. As a result, any custom-made locations (i.e. those stored in the user.loc file) will no longer work and must be recreated using the Add Location Utility (see Adding your own Locations below).
  Some previously defined locations have been removed. In particular, location within stairwells and walkways were problematic and caused kerbals to appear on top of buildings instead of inside them. Those locations that could not be shifted to reasonably close alternate locations were removed.

New Features:
    Works with relocated KSC. Tested with Galileo Planetary Pack and Alien Space Program.
    Incorporated code by LabRats (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/158208-labrats/) to honour KIS mod's volume settings for items.

v1.6.1
  Fixed Issues:
    WA013 Some users are reporting that most (or all) locations are not loading.

v1.6
  New Features:
        Added Perpetual Motion mode.

v1.5
  New Features:
    Added support for Kerbal Inventory System. Items can be added to the kerbal's inventory before the kerbal is placed.

v1.4
  Works with KSP version 1.2
  New Features:
    Added Extras folder.

Fixed Issues:
    WA005 Reloading the KSC scene sometimes results in log-spam: [ERR 16:26:34.891] Serialization depth limit exceeded at 'Contracts.Agents::Agent'. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes.
    WA008 When the location is under a structure, the kerbal is generated at high altitude and drops from, or clings to, the structure.

v1.3
  Works with KSP version 1.1
  New Features:
    No longer overwrites an existing settings.cfg file when updated.

Fixed Issues:
    WA011 User reported nullreference log spam.

v1.2
  New Features:
    Resizable windows.
    CKAN compatibility.

Fixed Issues:
    Fixed locations VAB_Main_E1A and VAB_Main_W1A (were reversed).

v1.1
  Fixed Issues:
    WA009 Eliminated NullReferenceException caused by running in normal mode.  
    WA010 Locations were not moving further up the list when selected.

v1.0
  Initial Release

v0.0.2
  Fixed Issues:
    WA001 Include a ReadMe file.
    WA004 Require license text.
    WA007 ReadMe needs description and instructions.

v0.1.0
  New Features:
    Buttons indicate status by colour (green=operation can be done, yellow=additional action required).
    Can limit the locations displayed to a single Facility.
    Can limit the number of locations displayed using the Top # Only button.
    AddUtility: Added display of closest known locations.
    AddUtility: Added location Ids.
  Fixed Issues:
    WA002 Added kerbals do not appear on KSC scene until dialogue is re-opened.
    WA006 Requeueing of locations is not working correctly.

Outstanding Issues:
    WA003 Kerbals are generated face-down and pop up when EVA view is activated.
    WA008 When the location is under a structure, the kerbal is generated at high altitude and drops from, or clings to, or stands on the structure.
    WA012 Some users report that the game crashes after placing a kerbal.

WishList
 - While on EVA, get another kerbal on WalkAbout.
 - Select location by pointing to the map (need to find location under cursor in SPACECENTER scene - current method only finds centre of facility under cursor).
 - Find a way to place kerbals on moving tracking dishes (need to detect current dish orientation).
 - Perpetual Motion mode: walk toward target or waypoint.

Many thanks to Diazo, Crzyrndm, IgorZ, and LabRats for helping me out in the forums.

And thanks too to mod creators KospY (KIS), MSK (EVA-Follower), MrHappyFace (Better Time Warp), The kOS Team (kOS), and Qberticus (Haystack Continued) for creating the code that helped me figure out how to do most of this.

This software is licenced under the GNU General Public License

Edited by Antipodes
Release for KSP 1.3.0 - finally!

That's really cool! A great way to bring some life to the KSC surroundings. Will try it out once the download is available.

Please, don't forget to add a license to your mod.

Edited by Kowgan

10 minutes ago, Kowgan said:

Please, don't forget to add a license to your mod.

There is a license included with the mod - or do you mean that Antipodes has to indicate the license in the forum post?

Edited by cpottinger

General Add-on posting rules

1. Licenses

All add-ons that are posted on the services maintained by Squad that serve the KSP Community (such as this forum and Curse) must be accompanied by a license that regulates what other users can do with the copyrighted material. This license must be made available in both the download file and in the location the user downloads from (such as a forum post or a Curse listing).

1 hour ago, ZobrAA said:

Does this work with moved KSC?

Sorry, but it won't.  However, it I don't see why I couldn't get it to do so.  I'll add it to the list of changes for the next version.

What mod are you using to move the KSC?

Edited by Antipodes

9 hours ago, cpottinger said:

There is a license included with the mod - or do you mean that Antipodes has to indicate the license in the forum post?

I'm late here but just want to make clear that since he's hosting on kerbal stuff, he doesn't need a license in the post. Apologies if he originally had the direct download link here in the thread when you posted this

nice convenient mod! Useful for roleplay

Edited by Gaiiden

1 hour ago, Antipodes said:

Sorry, but it won't.  However, it I don't see why I couldn't get it to do so.  I'll add it to the list of changes for the next version.

What mod are you using to move the KSC?

Cool! It seems all use Kopernicus for that purpose these days... :)

7 minutes ago, Azimech said:

A spot next to the start of the runway, is that possible?

Yes, Azimech, it is possible.

I thought about it, but decided that the mod would stimulate having kerbals leaving buildings, so I did not include the launch pad and the runway in the packaged location files. 

However, if you look in the read.me file for the mod, you should see instructions for using the built in Add Location Utility. With that you should be able to create a location by the runway.

If you have any problems getting it to work just reply back and let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a lovely plugin! Especially when playing with Kerbal Construction Time, its a pain in the ass to get a kerbal out there. Thank you so much @Antipodes. Now I can make a full use of the awesome FASA Launch tower.

Have you thought about a backwards process? Make building doors enterable (boardable) to recover Kerbals. That would bring so much to the immersion of the game. I always wanted to park a plane and walk my Kerbal to the offices to end the mission.

Hi! I get a nullreferenceexception spam in the debug consol as soon as i enter a flight scene with walkabout installed. Is this something to worry about or somtething i can ignore for now?

22 hours ago, Enceos said:

Have you thought about a backwards process? Make building doors enterable (boardable) to recover Kerbals. That would bring so much to the immersion of the game. I always wanted to park a plane and walk my Kerbal to the offices to end the mission.

No, I hadn't thought about that. But my first thought is 'how would this be any different from just hitting Recover?  

11 hours ago, Filigan said:

Hi! I get a nullreferenceexception spam in the debug consol as soon as i enter a flight scene with walkabout installed. Is this something to worry about or somtething i can ignore for now?

I have that in my list of issues. At this point, I have no idea what causes it or how to resolve it. 

However I have not seen any ill effects from the null references. Please let me know if it does cause you any problems. 

Just now, Antipodes said:

No, I hadn't thought about that. But my first thought is 'how would this be any different from just hitting Recover?  

Those who seek immersion, IVA experience, realism would love this little feature of walking kerbals to a building to recover.

P.S. I'm also getting a NullReferenceException spam by your mod when in flight. Do you need a log?

I too am getting log spam as mentioned above.
It may not be seriously affecting gameplay, but it does horribly abuse our hard drives. I'll be glad to reinstall this once you get that problem ironed out, but for now I'm not willing to risk it.

On 08/03/2016 at 9:50 PM, parameciumkid said:

I too am getting log spam as mentioned above.
It may not be seriously affecting gameplay, but it does horribly abuse our hard drives. I'll be glad to reinstall this once you get that problem ironed out, but for now I'm not willing to risk it.

I will look into it 

Edited by Antipodes

• 1 month later...
On 17.04.2016 at 6:14 AM, Antipodes said:

I have just released version 1.3 of this mod for KSP 1.1 on SpaceDock. I think I have the log spam problem licked.

Let me know what you guys think.

Looks like the thread header needs the version number update.