Easter Egg Discovery on Laythe!

destra9

I discovered 3 mysterious islands on Laythe when trying out Hyperedit. I teleported to Laythe to find these in the distance. As I inspected further, it became more and more astonishingly similar to an Easter Egg.

• The Islands are different from the rest of Laythe's landmass.
  • They are perfect spheres all in a straight line.
  • They are not part of Laythe's terrain!
  • You cannot land on these islands, making it impossible to plant a flag on them.
  • The Islands are at roughly the same coordinates as the KSC Launchpad back at Kerbin.
  • They are not visible in the map.

Of course, to document my discovery of the islands, I have multiple screenshots.

8702149A7F6779671E86C7818A60B12EB7E182E2 (1280×720)

Jeb looks just as surprised as I was to discover purple islands on Laythe. I thought those only existed on Eve!

New Easter Egg on Laythe!

As you can see, my game rendered Laythe's normal land properly, indicating that these islands have a different texture.

WCSD4hs.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that these islands are actually not part of Laythe, leaving very little possibility outside a glitch with a mod I have or an Easter egg! I want you guys to try and find these islands and see if you have them in your game and help me name these weird islands. :P 

23 minutes ago, fredinno said:

I have a feeling these belong somewhere else... And by their nature, they're probably glitches.

Very unlikely to be glitches. More likely geometry forgotten behind. Happens frequently enough in game dev.

1 hour ago, Findthepin1 said:

So. Where is this? And why can't we land on it?

Geometry in KSP needs to have separate collision data in order for you to be able to interact with it. There were parts of the "KSC 2" that you could walk through and couldn't land on. Likewise, in order to see an object from great distance, or on the map, it needs to have appropriate LOD models. If a model has neither, then you'd only be able to see it when you get close, and you wouldn't be able to land on it.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

Geometry in KSP needs to have separate collision data in order for you to be able to interact with it. There were parts of the "KSC 2" that you could walk through and couldn't land on. Likewise, in order to see an object from great distance, or on the map, it needs to have appropriate LOD models. If a model has neither, then you'd only be able to see it when you get close, and you wouldn't be able to land on it.

Do we know the coordinates?

13 minutes ago, prykpryk said:

I went there (no Hyperedit) and there was nothing there.

[snip]

Doesn't surprise me one bit. We've been playing 1.0.5 for quite some time now. If this really was an egg people would have noticed (and reported) it a lot sooner.

Yeah, that looks like a glitch to me. Like that roughly rectangular "lake" on Eve I found once, that I could drive on, which turned out to be a missing piece of texture. Wait, let me get a picture...

8e5d9aba86.jpg

fff4a1f360.jpg

Edited by WWEdeadman

• 4 weeks later...

If these "things" (I've called them Laythe's Crazy Purple Eve-Like Blobs, or LCPELBs) really are Easter Eggs, it's very hard to tell what they may be. The LCPELBs could be a reference to alien bases because of their dome-like shape and coordinates that nearly match up to the KSC. LCPELBs may be purple analogues to crater chains, like the huge one found on Jupiter's moon Ganymede. Finally, they may be allusions to Planet Sheen (I hope they aren't because Planet Sheen is horrible!).

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, CaptainTrebor said:

I remember hearing of a similar glitch on Minmus, it was something to do with glitched ground scatter as I recall.

I remeber it too, the common denominator is a KSP-i glitch that cause the mineral blobs to fail to disappear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.