[0.3] Unmanned pod

Unnamed Rocket Industries

Unmanned pod

dBJnU.png

Have you ever wanted to have tons of extra command pods on a ship? Well now you can! This unmanned pod serves no purpose other than a payload. But, if you attach a Mechjeb, it becomes its own Ship! Have fun.

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ep8lxp

Warning! THIS MAY CAUSE STRANGE BUGS.

Versions:

0.1 Added mod

0.2 CFG edits

Sure, i am need to try this. Hm, looking at config file, i see that this is only a strut, so no magic SAS pod power here. To bad. Now will test it live.

PS: After live test.

Wow! : Worked like a charm! Thank you very much!

Its not acting like a command pod on a probe, but combination of this part and mechJeb, acting just like a normal command pod. (with only mechJeb, probe suffers from a lack of control, you always need have a lot of RCS on them).

Cool! Good to have this option back. It does seem to add more crews to each flight, though. Not that this is bad, (I actually like the effect) but is it intentional?

I have no way to add additional crew.

I have no way to add additional crew.

Huh. Well, that\'s interesting. Maybe one of the mods/plugins I have installed is doing this. The extra crew do disappear if the other command modules are decoupled from the main body. Still, gotta love this, and many thanks!

How difficult would it be to do the same trick with the other stock cockpits?

Edit: Okay, I\'ve been test driving this thing. You have stumbled across something new in KSP modding. Go ahead and hook up a radial mechjeb to one of these pods, and they are no longer unmanned. Crew is assigned. The mechjebbed+mkI pod vessel retains the full maneuverability of a normal capsule-controlled craft... but pitch and yaw are reversed. Roll is still normal.

Here\'s the kicker: I uninstalled this mod for a minute, thinking I\'d compare the vessel behavior without it. Since this modded part uses the same name as the standard capsule, the multiple capsule test vessel loaded up without the mod installed, and behaved the same.

There\'s gold here. Somebody figure out how to fix the reversed controls, and we\'ll have a great time!

Holy what. This is much better than i intended. I will take a look through some stuff to see if i can fix the controls.

Don\'t bother. I just figured it out.

Attach the extra pods radially, and the pitch and yaw will be reversed. Attach the extra pods inline, and all axes work normally.

Holy crap, am I excited. 8)

Yes. Yes. YES! I have ideas for this. Grand, wonderful ideas. I\'m talking mini shuttles dispensed from the main craft. I\'m talking ships that can drop up to three or more manned rovers at a time. I\'m talking building a Mun base by dropping each part from orbit, from the same craft. My mind is running wild with ideas. ???

Is Mechjeb required to control this pod, or can I switch focus to it and control it like a regular ship with crew?

This is just an unmanned pod. If you use Mechjeb it will become an actual ship.

EDIT: Just a note, i have never actually tested this part. Use at your own risk. Im testing it now, though.

EDIT2: DEAR GOD! I did not mean to do this.

MORE CREW?!?!?!?!?!

dhA17.png

Further testing shows this:

*After decoupling an unmanned pod with Mechjeb, it becomes a ship with its own crew.

*A half meter Mechjeb on top of an unmanned pod is the best configuration.

* With unmanned pods on your current ship, crew will show up at the top of the screen.

This is like the guy who invented triangles looking at the pyramids! :D

This is so awesome! And I think that when you decouple the pods with a mechjeb attached, and they become actual ships,

you can preform EVAs with all of the crews of all the ships! (When EVA comes out of course =P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.