DMSP-The beginning of a space program. [Final Chapter] Chapter 33-When the clock hits zero.

DMSP

On 8/3/2016 at 3:12 PM, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

So what makes the reusable booster fly back?

From that many chapters ago? It runs on its main engines. That bottom tank is reserved purely for boostback and landing.

On 8/3/2016 at 4:55 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Well, you could always do a remake of Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress featuring Minmus, the progeny of those who initially went there,  whoever else got there independently, and the maybe-not-malevalent AI and its access to the Backup HD of Power.. ..  Just an idea :)

Huh. I've never read that book, but it does seem interesting. I'll be looking in some bookstores.

Who knows! Do you think 5 Kerbals and a Rover in some little Aluminum cans on a dusty ice plain count as an independent state? :)

On 8/4/2016 at 8:31 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

-snip-

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I thought Werhner and Gene blew it up?

Yup, the KSC is basically no more. A bit too late. It wasn't even the Katax's fault.

Funnily enough, remember Bob's dream a few chapters ago? How the Secret nuke accidentally destroyed the KSC?

Well, minus the Nuke, Bob was right.

38 minutes ago, DMSP said:

Huh. I've never read that book, but it does seem interesting. I'll be looking in some bookstores.

Who knows! Do you think 5 Kerbals and a Rover in some little Aluminum cans on a dusty ice plain count as an independent state? :)

WHAT?!?!?!?!?  How can you be a KSP fan and not have read such a classic book?  Anyway, there are huge strategic advantages to occupying the high ground at the top of the gravity well.  Here's a general outline of the basic situation (but not the whole plot) of the book.

Spoiler

The Moon is a prison colony of Earth.  The prison produces stuff for Earth and sends it there via a mass driver.  The mass driver is controlled by an AI that becomes sympathetic to the prisoners, so the AI joins the rebellion.  This involves using the mass driver to bombard Earth.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.