[1.2] CorrectCoL v1.4.4 - stock aerodynamics design aid

Boris-Barboris

7 minutes ago, Martian Music said:

Can you tell me what's wrong with this very simple rocket?

It looks stable to me, but it's uncontrollable. You use engine with no gimbal and have no control surfaces. Also, mod doesn't account for deformations (flexed by gravity, thrust and drag booster can do harm) and separable parts, with are common in rockets. It's better suited for planes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on an update to this (with @Boris-Barboris permission and approval).

Couple of questions:

1. Since this is for planes, should I not allow it to be shown in the VAB?
  2. Should there be a way for the graph to be automatically updated after changing something?
  3. If automatic updates are possible, would you want to be able to enable/disable them in the SPH, or should it be a global config option?

Thanks

1. never really used it in the VAB, didn't know how accurate it's with rockets and I only use it for planes anyways. So not showing in the VAB would be nice (maybe option in the config?)

2.Don't think it is necessary. Clicking refresh when you changed stuff isn't too tedious in my opinion.

3. If they're added then a option in the config would be nice.

Really love this mod and I'm glad it's beeing continued. I just hope you know your limits with adopting mods and that you can handle all those mods you're adopting.

Good to have someone like you who takes over and keeps things alive!

Maybe some labeling for the axis would help.

I've occasionally found this useful in the VAB for testing retrograde stability for reentry. Reentry is always a time for nail-biting for me so when I can't simply eyeball the stability this tool helps me build stable reentry vehicles. A VAB toggle would be most useful, but I don't think it should be removed completely from the VAB

Anyways, I love this tool and I'm happy it's potentially being continued. Looking forward to possibly seeing this on CKAN as well.

1 hour ago, maculator said:

Maybe some labeling for the axis would help.

A bit more detail, please.  Please realize I'm not too familiar with this yet.

So, regarding my questions, I'll leave it in the VAB, automatic updates will be a toggle (already have that working).

and, CKAN will be done as soon as I have a release.  I found a couple of small bugs which I've fixed, also some other internal optimizations I want to take care of.

Basically, bring this mod in line with my other mods, both in packaging, build, etc.

Lol. Yeah... I never really knew what the graphs actually show. I just try and get them to form a sinus-curve. This is why I'd like to have labels - because I have literally no clue what exactly they're trying to show me :D

11 minutes ago, maculator said:

Lol. Yeah... I never really knew what the graphs actually show. I just try and get them to form a sinus-curve. This is why I'd like to have labels - because I have literally no clue what exactly they're trying to show me :D

@Boris-Barboris Can you help with this?  I'll add them, but good definitions would be helpful.

green and yellow:     Aerodynamics-induced torque as a function of AoA (sideslip for lower graph). Green on current fuel level, yellow on empty.

blue graph: lift to drag ratio.

blue vertical line:  AoA on wich Lift equals -(gravity + centrifugal). It is not accurate (it's not equlibrium state), for accuracy you need iterative solver that will move pitch control surfaces and converge to this AoA, but it's too much of a hassle to write, honestly. Stock control surface interface is not very modeling-friendly.

great to see some love on this mod! :cool:

1- no! (allow it in VAB too please)

2- not really needed but great if it already works, does it impact performance?

3- maybe a box "auto update" to tick to enable/disable this feature?

- label the things (or infos on hovering it), yes!

other suggests:

4- be able to select other bodies with atmospheres (Laythe, Eve, whatever modded planets).

5- be able to select an other alpha-zero angle (AoA), to visualize the COL marker.
(see this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130783-12-correctcol-v144-stock-aerodynamics-design-aid-looking-for-maintainer/&do=findComment&comment=2380965, but images not working anymore :/)
selectable by entering a number in a box or sliding a ...slider, to see the COL moving.
could be easier to let the user move the craft indstead with the stock gizmo? but display the pitch (and yaw and roll) of the root part?(the mod "part angle display" can help to to do this?),

5bis- same as 5- but for yaw and roll?

6- show graphicaly this alpha-0 with an arrow in the direction of the relative wind?

7- display the terminal velocity (for the selected alpha-zero  AoA and planet),

could be awesome if it can take care of parachutes to know approximatively the speed when landind.

thank's guys!

Edited by Skalou

8 - Toolbar support

I wrote down how I understand the graphs since I really do not fully understand them. I put it in a spoiler to not spam this thread with constant whining:

Spoiler

So to really understand this:

-Horizontal axis is aoa (in this picture it ranges from -30 to 30 and has 15° steps.

-The blue vetical line shows that this craft will fly leveld at a pitch of ~3° up.

- The blue graph shows Lift/Drag over aoa. (This is where I get a bit confused because I don't know what the vertical axis shows) but in generall my lift gets higher the closer I get to 0° aoa and if I pitch up it gets positive and startsdecreasing after a peak at ~5°. So if the graph would be "extremer" and cross the horizontal axis at any other point then 0 something would be horribly wrong.

Green and yellow are almost clear the fueled craft in this case is less responsive, but again I really don't know what the vetical axis resembles. And all I'm actually able to do here is to check if the graphs are smooth and don't go bonkers.

So I really use this mod often and it helps alot but it bothers me a bit that I'm to stupid to fully understand it :S

13 hours ago, Skalou said:

great to see some love on this mod! :cool:

1- no! (allow it in VAB too please)

2- not really needed but great if it already works, does it impact performance?

3- maybe a box "auto update" to tick to enable/disable this feature?

- label the things (or infos on hovering it), yes!

other suggests:

4- be able to select other bodies with atmospheres (Laythe, Eve, whatever modded planets).

5- be able to select an other alpha-zero angle (AoA), to visualize the COL marker.
(see this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130783-12-correctcol-v144-stock-aerodynamics-design-aid-looking-for-maintainer/&do=findComment&comment=2380965, but images not working anymore :/)
selectable by entering a number in a box or sliding a ...slider, to see the COL moving.
could be easier to let the user move the craft indstead with the stock gizmo? but display the pitch (and yaw and roll) of the root part?(the mod "part angle display" can help to to do this?),

5bis- same as 5- but for yaw and roll?

6- show graphicaly this alpha-0 with an arrow in the direction of the relative wind?

7- display the terminal velocity (for the selected alpha-zero  AoA and planet),

could be awesome if it can take care of parachutes to know approximatively the speed when landind.

Quite the laundry list.

1, 2, 3 are done, see the earlier post. 

Tooltips have been implemented.

I'm not sure what you are asking about in #5, the whole idea behind the AoA range is to show how it is at different AoAs.   In terms of the COL marker, this mod isn't touching that.

What do you mean by #6? Alpha-0???  Again, the graphs are showing a range assuming you are moving forward.  For opposite direction, put in a negative number

Not going to do #7 or parachutes

I may do #4, but will see.

Hi everyone,

New release:  1.5.0

• Adoption by Linuxgurugamer
  • Added AutoUpdate toggle
  • Added Destroy() and lines to remove gameevents whch were added in the Start()
  • Changed GraphWindow from static code to dynamic, added support code
  • Added tooltips to entry field labels
  • Made window background solid

I'll be making a new thread for this, once I do, please move discussions over there.