[1.2] CorrectCoL v1.4.4 - stock aerodynamics design aid

Boris-Barboris

2 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

But the graph tells me it is partially stable

For pitch It means that since you selected aoa range of 15 degrees, it can't make sure that it's stable in the hardcoded region of 30.

For yaw it means what it means. Your yaw is stable locally, but ceases to be so on the sideslip of ~12 degrees or more.

4 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

For pitch It means that since you selected aoa range of 15 degrees, it can't make sure that it's stable in the hardcoded region of 30.

I bumped the graph up to 30 and it looks green and fine. 30 degrees is by the way the limiter I have set in your Atmosphere Autopilot:lol:

7kUEO9M.png

On 1/26/2016 at 4:12 PM, Boris-Barboris said:

Tilt is from increased AoA offset from stock 1 degree to 5, so it's okay to be more tilted...

...alpha-zero is 3 degrees now, redownload zip from github (shamefully replaced it), if you want

I'm guessing that this is essentially saying normally KSP uses a 1 degree AoA during assembly, but you've edited it to 5, then 3 degrees in this mod. 

Is there an option or configuration setting where I could change it back to 1? I build my planes to climb while flying level.

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Jimbo Jangles said:

Is there an option or configuration setting where I could change it back to 1? I build my planes to climb while flying level.

No, but it doesn't matter for most cases anyways, yours included.

17 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@vardicd it does that even without CorrectCoL installed for me.

Interesting. it did not for me the other day. I've been using it pretty regularly for the parachuting contracts from Inigma's giving aircraft a purpose contracts. CorrectCoL is the only mod I've installed since I last used the chutes, when they worked. Sorry, I just assumed... will test further.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes 1.4.3(CKAN) on the lastest KSP 1.2.0.1586 ( steam) via windows7 64,

but you are not alone, RCS build aid and pilot assistant have the same bug.

i tried just now on a fresh install only with CorrectCoL:

start KSP

go in the VAB

go to flight scene or exit to main menu or everywhere else

UYV7mLp.png

the log, if it can help you: ( i don't know what to look at inside this)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shu9hvzr11g8cgp/KSP.log?dl=0

thank you for still supporting this great mod :wink:

edit:

i've just saw this, maybe it can help you in the how to do:

and this

Edited by Skalou

• 1 month later...

Hello Boris

I am wondering if the graph is very accurate about pitch stability. I built a Mark IV Tanker with B9 Wings. Center of lift is behind Dry center of mass and fueled center of mass as you can see on this picture.

866616screenshot4.png

Whatever is the position of the center of lift behind the 2 centers of mass, the graph says the aircraft is low fuel unstable at high speed and altitude and at low speed and altitude  on both graphs.

489067screenshot1.png

Dry COG is near Fueled COG and i tested the aircraft with you Atmospheric Autopilot. It flies very well even with 5% of fuel left.

So how can the yellow pitch  curve for dry aircraft and the green pitch curve for fueled aircraft be so different and tell it will be unstable at low fuel?

Edited by gilflo

2 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@gilflo does the graph change, if you move the craft by it's root part a little?

If you mean taking the aircraft by its cockpit which is the root part to put it a little bit higher or ahead in the hangar, or move back or down, and update the graph, no the graph won't change

@gilflo Well, second guess would be those gears. And the last one - try it without AA on 3-4% fuel tanks. After that it's clearly a bug. It will be hard to find though, since KSP does not have a proper API, and mods can also interfere.
I do sometimes notice some inconsistencies between actual flight and graph, but it's just too hard to diagnose, so I usually just ignore it.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

Well, it's quite tricky without AA on low fuel because there's no trim. Aircraft is not stable...I guess the best would be to have exactly the COG on dry and fueled aircraft, what is not easy to set....